• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

Drek said:
Could someone do the massive favor of bumping/posting an update in this thread when the game is patched? Be a big help as I'm only looking to play it in offline co-op (on PS3 preferably) and item trading is pretty useful to that end.

Can't you just use the hero chests to trade items? One person put it in, the other take it out? I haven't tried it local co-op yet, but it seems like this would work.

Me and 3 friends just made an epic journey across the world to the desert. It took over 3 hours to reach and we opened a few new teleports and found some new towns with great weapons.

I love this game. Best Online RPG since PSO. Probably even better. A little rough around the edges, but it more than makes up with with the massive amount of content in terms of the size of the world, variety and number of enemies, and range of cool abilities/customizations.

Nitemare1

I'm really loving this game but is anyone else having trouble adjusting to the camera angles. Even zoomed out as far as it goes I can't seem to see as much as I would like.

Nitemare1 said:
I'm really loving this game but is anyone else having trouble adjusting to the camera angles. Even zoomed out as far as it goes I can't seem to see as much as I would like.

Use the radar to see enemies coming on your map. Once you get used to looking at the radar, it's not a problem. Personally, I like to zoom in when I'm fighting, and zoom back out afterwards.

Pimpbaa

So apparently (according to the manual), I am not suppose to learn all the skills the characters have by using every rune I get that is applicable for my class, but instead I'm just supposed to consume runes only for the skills I want to use. Is this correct? And how many skill should I limit myself to?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Pimpbaa said:
So apparently (according to the manual), I am not suppose to learn all the skills the characters have by using every rune I get that is applicable for my class, but instead I'm just supposed to consume runes only for the skills I want to use. Is this correct? And how many skill should I limit myself to?

I don't see why you'd have to limit yourself though. I mean, I understand not -modifying- every skill, because you have a limited amount of modifications, but just leveling skills - I don't see why I need to be held back.

Nitemare1

EternalGamer said:
Use the radar to see enemies coming on your map. Once you get used to looking at the radar, it's not a problem. Personally, I like to zoom in when I'm fighting, and zoom back out afterwards.

Yeah that what I sort of started doing when i played a little bit this morning. Much better than going back and forth to the world map like I was doing. I also like zooming all the way in when the fighting is going on.

Pimpbaa

Kinitari said:
I don't see why you'd have to limit yourself though. I mean, I understand not -modifying- every skill, because you have a limited amount of modifications, but just leveling skills - I don't see why I need to be held back.

Ahh crap. Just read this on the Sacred 2 wiki:

WARNING: Memorizing or forging too many runes can cause your regeneration times to increase to an unsatisfactory level.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Very deep and complex game. As far as leveling at least. I'm still a bit confused by runes.

Got the PS3 version. Man, it be fugly compared to PC. I do really like the controller for fighting though, it makes that easier. Working with inventory or your character though? Not so much.

I love the game though, so I'm looking forward to kicking back and putting some hours in, plus with some co-op.

psn: MusashiWins

Well, we just completed an epic quest that took 3 hours to reach the desert where we found
our first mounts: horses!

But shortly thereafter, a great loss occured and
my horse was killed and it costs so much I couldn't afford another

Awesome gaming session, though.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
EternalGamer said:
Well, we just completed an epic quest that took 3 hours to reach the desert where we found
our first mounts: horses!

But shortly thereafter, a great loss occured and
my horse was killed and it costs so much I couldn't afford another

Awesome gaming session, though.

Hehe, this is what I love about this game. You go all over and see all kids of stuff. That's a good idea to do with a friend, just pick a destination and head off, see what's there. I have yet to explore the desert at all, I really need to go see it.

Tom Penny said:
Is there anyway to change difficulty on the fly. The game is waaaay to easy on deflaut. I haven't even come close to dying once.

You can't change the difficulty. but you can easily take the guy you've created and level up over to a new game on the higher difficulty.

Tom Penny

EternalGamer said:
You can't change the difficulty. but you can easily take the guy you've created and level up over to a new game on the higher difficulty.

Damn. I don't want to start over and do all the 1st missions again. I just want to start were I am now on a high difficulty :/ shoot.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
sol_bad said:
Playing this on PC with an 8800GTX with mouse/keyboard hooked up to my 42inch plasma. The game looks beautiful and runs smooth on my PC. No idea what it looks like on any of the consoles and I'm too afraid to look.

Personally I can't understand how anyone would want to play this with a control pad.

I like the way it controls on the console more. Everything else, not so much.

Retro

I've heard people say a few times that this game is near-impossible to play on a non HD screen. I'm not 100% sure my TV is HD (I don't pay for any HD services so I'm not sure how else to check, yes, I know I am a total Tech-newb); can I still eek out a decent experience if I, for example, sit closer to the screen? :lol

I adored Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath, and tried very hard to find something comparable (even bought Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom), but if I can't read the text, I'm going to absolutely hate it. Money is also such that if I buy this game, I REALLY have to get my money's worth out of it. From the sound of things, if I can play it, I'd have an absolute blast with it.

So, any advice?

BEST GAME EVER CONFIRMED

I just did a quest where I had to help the lead singer of Blind Guardian recover the band's instruments from an undead army. And my reward was a CG Blind Guardian concert where they performed for orcs and werewolves, and I get to keep their weapons, which happen to function as extremely bad ass weapons.

Justin

Just ran into a broken quest.

It is the quest chain where you go to the old port and the lady tells you that the undead come out of the sewers and you need to go get the key from the general. I got the key, unlocked the door and after zoning everything on the screen except for the hud is black and I cant move. The only way to get out is to warp back into town. To make things worse the quest gives you 3 sidekicks and now I cant figure out how to get rid of them.

Retro said:
I've heard people say a few times that this game is near-impossible to play on a non HD screen. I'm not 100% sure my TV is HD (I don't pay for any HD services so I'm not sure how else to check, yes, I know I am a total Tech-newb); can I still eek out a decent experience if I, for example, sit closer to the screen? :lol

I adored Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath, and tried very hard to find something comparable (even bought Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom), but if I can't read the text, I'm going to absolutely hate it. Money is also such that if I buy this game, I REALLY have to get my money's worth out of it. From the sound of things, if I can play it, I'd have an absolute blast with it.

So, any advice?

If you want to know if your TV is HD go to the settings menu in your PS3 or 360 and select "720P" output. If the screen blinks and shows a picture, you have an HD TV. If it goes black and no picture displays, you don't.

I haven't played it on a non-HD screen, but I certainly wouldn't want to try. The game is awesome, and you certainly would enjoy it if you liked Baldur's Gate and Norrath. Do you have a computer monitor you could hook up your system too? That's the cheapest route to HD picture. If your monitor is a flat panel, there is a decent chance it has HDMI otuput and both the PS3 and 360 support this. You just need a HDMI cable ($5 online, more expensive in the store). If your monitor only has VGA, it's still doable if you are playing on the 360, but it would be slightly more expensive as you would need one of the Xbox 360 VGA cables, which you can find at any store for around $30-$40.

The game will last you as long as five or six other games. I played for over twenty hours this weekend and I have only explored SIX PERCENT of the map.

Concept17

BobFromPikeCreek said:
BEST GAME EVER CONFIRMED

I just did a quest where I had to help the lead singer of Blind Guardian recover the band's instruments from an undead army. And my reward was a CG Blind Guardian concert where they performed for orcs and werewolves, and I get to keep their weapons, which happen to function as extremely bad ass weapons.

awesome :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
THANKS for all the help/advice everyone gave me. Enjoying the game much more, now that I've wrapped my head around some of its (very poorly explained) intricacies. Wishing I wouldn't have chosen Riding as my Shadow Warrior's second skill, though :lol I probably would have eventually taken it as a skill, so it's no biggie.

Have some new Qs -

- What stat governs/increases encumbrance? I thought it was STR, but I don't think I saw that, in it's tooltip?

- I decided to build a sword-wielding Astral Lord Shadow Warrior (basically a magic user that beats on dudes with a sword while waiting for his cooldowns). I took Astral Lord Focus, AND Astral Lord Lore as skills. Both skills decrease regeneration (I think)- but does this decrease stack?

- Leveling up a Combat Art, even within my "allowed" level range, is frequently seeming like a bum deal. It seems like an extreme increase in regeneration time every time I level up, but the level-up is only providing a marginal increase in dmg/effectiveness. I'm finding myself not lvling skills, even though I could do so without a skill penalty. Am I doing something wrong? Do I just need to dump far more skills into decreased regeneration?

- Armor is a similar deal. I find myself not wanting to use the sweet armor drops I get. I grok that it's a trade-off, but it still seems not right that I should shy away from using a badass vestment that drops, because it's gonna slow me down much more.

- When a weapon's dmg range is displayed, is that before or after your skill modifier? IE if I have the swords skill and I'm comparing a sword's displayed dmg against an Ax's, is that sword's dmg including the bonus I would get from my skill, or not?

Ledsen

Retro said:

So, any advice?

If your TV is a flat screen, it's HD. If it's not, it's not (unless you have a rare fatty HDTV, but they practically don't exist in Europe at least).

Ledsen said:
If your TV is a flat screen, it's HD. If it's not, it's not (unless you have a rare fatty HDTV, but they practically don't exist in Europe at least).

Not true. There are plenty of flat screens that are not HD. Now, I don't think I've seen a FLAT PANEL TV that isn't, however.

Retro

EternalGamer said:
If you want to know if your TV is HD go to the settings menu in your PS3 or 360 and select "720P" output. If the screen blinks and shows a picture, you have an HD TV. If it goes black and no picture displays, you don't.

Yeah, I don't have an HDTV. Even when I switched to HDTV on the AV Adaptor (I have a 360), all I got was a B&W split screen effect. I was 99.9% sure I didn't have an HDTV, now I know for sure.

EternalGamer said:
I haven't played it on a non-HD screen, but I certainly wouldn't want to try.

That was one of my problems with KUF: CoD; the text was too small to really read unless you were sitting right in front of the TV. I liked how KUF played (kinda), but it was pretty poorly put together and I lost interest in it (also, since there's nobody online to play with...). I MIGHT be willing to make the sacrifice to my eyesight to play this though.

EternalGamer said:
The game is awesome, and you certainly would enjoy it if you liked Baldur's Gate and Norrath.

I already know this is something I want to buy, I just don't want to get it home and find out it's unplayable because of the text size.

EternalGamer said:
Do you have a computer monitor you could hook up your system too?

My PC monitor would work, but they're in two separate rooms and I really don't feel like unhooking my monitor and dragging it out. Nor do I have $80 to blow on 50 feet of HDMI Cable. :lol

I guess if I do scrape the money together, I'll just have to accept that I'll have to drag my chair close to see it. That, or just shuffle around my cables and drag my PC monitor out there. It'll be fucking terrible though =\.

Tobor

DeathGlobe said:
Is it possible to trade money between chars? I messed up my shadow warrior with the long ass regen time so I wanna make a new one

Can you put it in the hero chest? If not, buy the most expensive items you can find and put them in the chest. You'll lose money on the sale, but at least you'll get the bulk of it.

MrDaravon

Pimpbaa said:
Ahh crap. Just read this on the Sacred 2 wiki:

WARNING: Memorizing or forging too many runes can cause your regeneration times to increase to an unsatisfactory level.

I've also read that the more runes you read, the less likely you are to find them. We DO seem to get less runes than we did at the very beginning, but I can't confirm/deny. Also IIRC if you choose the Lores for the schools that the runes are in, as you level that lore up I think it decreases the regen time which could help compensate that.

After playing this for about 20 hours now, I really can't emphasize enough taking a good look at the official Sacred 2 boards as well as the Sacred Wiki. I've got a much better grasp of the game now, and some people on the boards have some very good builds posted along with why they recommend what they did, which helped me understand a lot.

nyong

Banned
Tobor said:
So how many runes should I have used? "Don't use too many" is fairly vague. Do I need to start over again?

It's a balancing act between increasing the effects of the spell, and avoiding too long a recharge time. Some spells (esp. combat) they recommend only putting 1 rune into, and increasing the spell through items. Also, you can lower the recharge times through the various lore skills associated with each spell (aspect) group.

I have very little clue what I'm talking about at this point. I would highly suggest heading over to the official boards to get an idea of what essential spells you should never pass up, and create a class build off of that. I'm about to re-roll again as I made a few (major) oopsies with my Temple Guardian. The creation process is pretty damn complicated....and I wish they had a way to re-assign skills later in the game, rather than re-rolling.

Tobor

nyong said:
It's a balancing act between increasing the effects of the spell, and avoiding too long a recharge time. Some spells (esp. combat) they recommend only putting 1 rune into, and increasing the spell through items. Also, you can lower the recharge times through the various lore skills associated with each spell (aspect) group.

I have very little clue what I'm talking about at this point. I would highly suggest heading over to the official boards to get an idea of what essential spells you should never pass up, and create a class build off of that. I'm about to re-roll again as I made a few (major) oopsies with my Temple Guardian. The creation process is pretty damn complicated....and I wish they had a way to re-assign skills later in the game, rather than re-rolling.

I feel like I may have screwed up my Dryad. I started out by using every rune I got my hands on, but I only leveled 2 of them to level 2. Am I safe here? I haven't done a combat skill for any tree yet.

nyong

Banned
Tobor said:
I feel like I may have screwed up my Dryad. I started out by using every rune I got my hands on, but I only leveled 2 of them to level 2. Am I safe here? I haven't done a combat skill for any tree yet.

It seems like using the runes is ultimately more about optimizing what you have then screwing it up. It's the skill choices that really seem to matter most.

In any case, if you are not dying, you're probably just fine.

I'm planning creating a Dryad from this build.

Tobor

nyong said:
Yes, I'm sure you're fine. It seems like using the runes is ultimately more about optimizing what you have then screwing it up. It's the skill choices that really seem to matter most.

In any case, if you are not dying, you're probably just fine.

Hmm. That makes sense, I thought I had read somewhere that just unlocking too many was a mistake, but that makes no sense. Why would they give you 12 open slots if you can't unlock any of the powers?

AwRy108

Retro said:

So, any advice?

Pro-tip: I really, really enjoyed X-Men Legends 2, and it's on all of the "last-gen" consoles as well as PC. Playing Sacred 2 on Standard-def. TV might break your eyeballs.

Tobor said:

You guys are crazy restarting over not having a perfect build. Unless you are playing PvP, I don't see what it matters. So you have to run around a dodge a little bit more while waiting for stuff to regen. Is that really that big of a deal? Why do you need a "perfect build"? I'll keep this stuff in mind when I start new characters, but it's not like if you don't get everything perfect you won't be able to progress through the game.

I'm strongly leaning towards getting this with a friend, maybe going halfs or something, seeing as he's got the 360 and whatnot to play it on. There's something magical about a local co-op loot whore game---even moreso perhaps when you can do that and STILL get online to find folk.

Might just do the same with the EDF game on 360 too...we'll see.

Impressions thus far seem to match all that could've realistically been hoped for. I reckon I'd create a recharge rate monster of some sort...just outright abandon other stuff for the sake of it.

AwRy108

nyong said:

This is correct.

From what I gather, here's the basic gist:
1) pick a class of combat arts that best suit your style and level them up with runes & gear
2) selectively chose skills and gear that keep your regeneration levels as low as possible
3) use modifiers to further reduce cast times of your favorite skills, or even to turn them into permanent buffs
4) just enjoy the game!

I can understand people getting bent out of shape about the Diablo II builds because power-leveling for PvP or Nightmare builds has practically become a national pastime; but in Sacred 2, I think the point of the game is to bask in the world and have fun. And doesn't the game distribute health potions like they're going out of style? Last time I checked, I think I was holding like 53 of them!

I think the majority of GAF'ers are intelligent enough to progress their character without having to study wiki pages and ruin the fun and excitement.

Besides, I have a kick-ass level 23 Temple Guardian on Silver, and after 10 hours I've only covered like 6% of the map; and I don't think I've died since my level was in the single digits. The chances of me spending enough hours with this game to discover that "my build is broken" are slim to none, seeing as it'll take me over 150 hours just to explore every nook and cranny on one playthrough. The devil is in the details, people--don't ruin the game for yourself by stressing out over builds.

Justin

AwRy108 said:
And doesn't the game distribute health potions like they're going out of style? Last time I checked, I think I was holding like 53 of them!

17 hours in and just started the 2nd chapter... out of 10!

I also have 290 health potions and am at 9.7% of the map found.

MrDaravon

AwRy108 said:
Besides, I have a kick-ass level 23 Temple Guardian on Silver, and after 10 hours I've only covered like 6% of the map; and I don't think I've died since my level was in the single digits. The chances of me spending enough hours with this game to discover that "my build is broken" are slim to none, seeing as it'll take me over 150 hours just to explore every nook and cranny on one playthrough. The devil is in the details, people--don't ruin the game for yourself by stressing out over builds.

Pretty much; apparently builds with major issues will only start to have problems on the last two difficulties. I also think a lot of the mentality with builds comes from PC players used to playing Hardcore mode, which isn't even on the console releases.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Is anyone else having terrible connectivity problems with this game? Ive tried 2 seperate locatons now and the game lags really badly at either place. And thats when i can actually get into a game. FUCK this is annoying as hell.

Concept17

Justin said:
17 hours in and just started the 2nd chapter... out of 10!

I also have 290 health potions and am at 9.7% of the map found.

Curious. At what point do you reach 'Chapter 2' ? And what level are you?

Top Bottom