• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 2 |OT| Lootwhores of all Platforms, Unite!

Brashnir

I've been wanting this game for a long time, but I'm afraid it's going to be released as a buggy unfinished mess.

Guess I'll get it anyway. I have 2 friends who want to play it in co-op, and co-op makes everything better.

bottles

I don’t usually play RPGs (although I do own Oblivion and Fallout 3), yet I feel strangely compelled to buy this game. How noob-friendly is it?

bjaelke

Maybe we should create a thread in the online forum for gamertags/PSN ids.
bottles said:
I don’t usually play RPGs (although I do own Oblivion and Fallout 3), yet I feel strangely compelled to buy this game. How noob-friendly is it?
It's very straigth forward. Press left stick in the direction you want to move/attack.

PuMa

j-wood said:
uhhh....yes? Dude, I have no idea what you're trying to say

It sounds like he's wondering if a friend can jump into your game for co-op regardless of what level each player is.

I don't know the answer to that question by the way, but I am wondering how they are handling the local multiplayer for the PS3 version. Anyone know the details of how that's going to turn out?I'm leaning towards the PS3 version, but I'm not 100% yet.

bjaelke

You can't have other people join your game on the PS3 version, if you're already playing local co-op. That's the only known difference between the two versions.

I hope the framerate is 30 most of the time. That will be suitable enough.
Theres no way im passing on this game though. I need to save money for some trips and need a game thats going to take me a long time to play and finish.

PuMa

bjaelke said:
You can't have other people join your game on the PS3 version, if you're already playing local co-op. That's the only known difference between the two versions.

So how does someone jump in to local co-op though? Resistance 2 and LBP have the ability to sign in as an on-console ID, so I'm wondering if this will be the same. I really wish you could sign on with two online PSN accounts on one console. That would be perfect.

I have the option to get it on either but will probably just get this on the PS3. What happened though? I can remember reading how the PS3 version was getting the most care somewhere in this thread.

bjaelke

PuMa said:
So how does someone jump in to local co-op though? Resistance 2 and LBP have the ability to sign in as an on-console ID, so I'm wondering if this will be the same. I really wish you could sign on with two online PSN accounts on one console. That would be perfect.
Read the PSU article I quoted in this thread :)

mujun

j-wood said:
uhhh....yes? Dude, I have no idea what you're trying to say

sorry, couldnt be assed to punctuate properly ;)

everything before co-op is an adjective!

can i be playing this and invite one of my friends to join my game without having to quit out?

can they join no matter what level they are?

do they take any stuff gained back to their own game?

PuMa

bjaelke said:
Read the PSU article I quoted in this thread :)

Yeah, I read that before when you posted it. It still doesn't clear up my question though. They still claim there will be local multiplayer for both versions, so I'm curious how it will work if two PSN accounts can't sign in. C'mon Sony, give us the firmware to do it!

Hammer24

Banned
Anerythristic said:
I have the option to get it on either but will probably just get this on the PS3. What happened though? I can remember reading how the PS3 version was getting the most care somewhere in this thread.

Hold out for first impressions. I´m not as optimistic for the PS3 version, but we´ll see.

IGN review kinda kicked 360 Sacred2 in the balls.
Same reviewer gave the buggy November release PC version (1.3) points higher.
He actually scored Sacred2 (.6) lower than the trainwreck that was TWO WORLDS, in fact.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/979/979857p1.html

Hope the save corrupt was a fluke or user error.
Also, doesn't installing a sandbox game help framerates and pop-in?
I could have sworn GTA4 did better when installed on the HDD.
Something tells me the reviewer didn't install Sacred2. Just a hunch.

mujun

xDEILGYREx said:
He actually scored Sacred2 (.6) lower than the trainwreck that was TWO WORLDS, in fact.

not a good score at all. im not going to cancel my preorder though.

as long as i can get heaps of cool stuff, feel the power when i level up and get a good amount of play time out of it then ill be satisfied.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I just started working my way through the first Sacred on the PC this last weekend, just to get back up to speed for 2's release on the 360. I forgot how simple and efficient the interface for this game was. If it had ever been patched for WS monitors, I'd finish it again. Looking forward to 2....

Hammer24

Banned
Harsh review that considerably lowers my excitement. Game stopping/crashing bugs are something that should never make it through certification.

bjaelke

xDEILGYREx said:

It helped. Not something that should change the overall review much though.

Heads up guys, someone has something to say concerning the Sacred 2 review by IGN aka that "reviewer":

"Really Amazing!

The reviewer uses a d-box system that is an Xbox used by developers/publishers and if not updated by Microsoft frequently can have issues which is most likely the reason for the issues reported.

We (cdv USA) have used internal game testers/evaluaters for the Xbox and Playstation, have hundreds of playing hours into the game (including myself) and never had a single game crash or a issue with a corrupted save game.

Microsoft would have NEVER approved the game for release if these problems were present, and those with a retail Xbox will also not have any issues.

We recieved our boxed "retail" copies of the XBox version last week, and I have almost 75 hours into the retail game on my XBox in my office and there are no issues as reported by this "reviewer".

Bottom line...we are looking into why this reviewer posted he had crashes and corrupted save games, but he is the only one to have any, so my guess is his Xbox needs to be upgraded, or his system is haunted!

Bill Smeed
QA/Community Manager/Support
cdv Software Entertainment USA. "

and

"Update from Von Smeed, cdv Staffmember:

"Just a note:

We (cdv) only send debug builds to editors and not retail. We know that the game reviewer used a dev kit because he never received a retail build.

Like I said...the retail version of Scared 2 for the Xbox runs fine!

Enjoy!

Von"

http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=59615"

bjaelke said:
So they actually reviewed the debug code and didn't tell anyone? That's just retarded.

Yeah according to their official forums. Though it makes me think. Who is to blame here, the company for sending them a dev build, or ign for not reviewing a retail boxed copy?Then again perhaps IGN requested a build for there dev boxes. Who knows at this point. All I can say is that it sorta makes that review invalid to say the least. Especially at it seems the review score was lowered due to the instability of the game accordng to IGN.

Meanwhile, why did the review barely touch on 4 player co-op or pvp? Some reviews just dont seem very review worthy if you know what I mean.

bjaelke

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Meanwhile, why did the review barely touch on 4 player co-op or pvp? Some reviews just dont seem very review worthy if you know what I mean.
That's a common problem. People reviewing games/genres they have no interest in. I remember their review of Football Manager 09.

Well im glad to read they have a non retail build. I was going to get the game regardless of the IGN review score, but its still comforting to know. I've been waiting for this game for a long time. Hell I even passed up on a ten dollar used copy of Sacred 2 on pc a month ago.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The rollercoaster continues!

I await eager GAF day 1 impressions from both console ports...

Kauza

Brandon F said:
The rollercoaster continues!

I await eager GAF day 1 impressions from both console ports...

Goodness, rollercoaster indeed.

Data corruption could most certainly be the issue that turns me off of this game, but I'm a lot more confident now that it won't actually be an issue. That and the fact that I actually enjoy these types of games, whereas it appears that many reviews just won't be into it.

Optimism!

GreekWolf

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Microsoft would have NEVER approved the game for release if these problems were present, and those with a retail Xbox will also not have any issues.
Oh rly? :lol

11505.jpg

Yeah I need this game to be awesome as well. Framerate issues I can handle as long as its not a slide show. Game corruption is a much bigger thing but after the devs game out and actually challenged IGN's review. I feel pretty confident we wont have to worry about that.

GreekWolf

bjaelke said:
Two Worlds had save game issues?
Lost over 20 hours of game time with a corrupted file. Undeterred, I promptly started a new character and rushed my way through the silly thing. Like I mentioned in another thread, I'm probably one of only five people in the United States to play through that bug-ridden travesty from beginning to end.

Aaron

GreekWolf said:
Lost over 20 hours of game time with a corrupted file. Undeterred, I promptly started a new character and rushed my way through the silly thing. Like I mentioned in another thread, I'm probably one of only five people in the United States to play through that bug-ridden travesty from beginning to end.
Nah, I almost finished it. Got to the last boss, and the game crashed. -_-

Far Cry 2 though is a game with a known save game obliterating bug that still hasn't been fixed, so obviously MS aren't quite that stringent.

Phthisis

bjaelke said:
So they actually reviewed the debug code and didn't tell anyone? That's just retarded.

80%-90% of reviews you read/watch on IGN, 1UP, Gametrailers, or any of the other big sites are all done on debug review code sent up to a month ahead of release by publishers.

Cahill

Banned
Flyguy said:
I don't remember that last time I pulled harder for a game not to suck.

I hear ya. So starved on my 360 for a loot whore game. Just something, anything to kinda capture me. Was a huge PSO fan though I don't expect this to be like it. What are our choices? The abomination they called Universe does not exist as far as I'm concerned and no "bu-bu-but they fixed this or that" will change things. Circle of Doom - no, Too Human (based on the demo).. definitely not. What else do we have? Wish they would have continued with Conan or ported Guild Wars (which I also really liked).

I only hope Sacred doesn't suck and ends up being fun in multi-player.

The IGN review lacked information and just wasn't very well done. I am still looking forward to the game and I will be keeping eyes on other reviews to see how it fairs.

Flyguy

Another review in.
Additionally, the game has some control issues. The attack buttons aren’t nearly as responsive as they should be, and attacks will often register with your character very slowly, making fighting very frustrating.

Generally, the game has a pretty serious lack of polish. The game is quite buggy, and the graphics are not impressive at all. The framerates are downright horrible, chugging along at speeds that are well below the norm. Additionally, this makes the game feel like a somewhat rushed PC port, and one that definitely could have used a few extra coats of polish.

besiktas1

Damn it another poor review, guess i'll wait for some gaffers to take the plunge and get their impresions.

I dont buy the review code excuse. Hope its true though or they patch it in time for PAL release...

Aaron

Cahill said:
I hear ya. So starved on my 360 for a loot whore game. Just something, anything to kinda capture me. Was a huge PSO fan though I don't expect this to be like it. What are our choices? The abomination they called Universe does not exist as far as I'm concerned and no "bu-bu-but they fixed this or that" will change things. Circle of Doom - no, Too Human (based on the demo).. definitely not. What else do we have? Wish they would have continued with Conan or ported Guild Wars (which I also really liked).

I only hope Sacred doesn't suck and ends up being fun in multi-player.
Too Human is much better than the demo suggests, but being only two player hurts it.

Hey to be clear,

We reviewed a complete Gold Master of the game (aka, it was 100% finished and is used to mass produce retail copies). However, the retail versions, though identical to the game we played in every way, weren't pressed yet, so the Sacred guys sent us the aforementioned Gold Master in the interim to be played on our debugs.

However, the Sacred guys think that they ran into a problem with the disc replication process and a problem with our specific copy of the game. We're getting another copy of the game to test against it to see if we did indeed have a unique "screwed up" copy. If we did get a weird screwed up version, we'll re-evaluate our review accordingly. If we run into the same problems, however, then the review will stand.

We're leaving the game as is on the site right now, because as of today, it is reflective of our experience with a 100% complete and finished version of the gold master.

The Sacred guys confirm what I'm saying in the same thread mentioned above ~ here

Chrange

Banned
Makaze-IGN said:
Hey to be clear,

We reviewed a complete Gold Master of the game (aka, it was 100% finished and is used to mass produce retail copies). However, the retail versions, though identical to the game we played in every way, weren't pressed yet, so the Sacred guys sent us the aforementioned Gold Master in the interim to be played on our debugs.

However, the Sacred guys think that they ran into a problem with the disc replication process and a problem with our specific copy of the game. We're getting another copy of the game to test against it to see if we did indeed have a unique "screwed up" copy. If we did get a weird screwed up version, we'll re-evaluate our review accordingly. If we run into the same problems, however, then the review will stand.

We're leaving the game as is on the site right now, because as of today, it is reflective of our experience with a 100% complete and finished version of the gold master.

The Sacred guys confirm what I'm saying in the same thread mentioned above ~ here

Just have to one-up Eurogamer, huh? :lol

*it's a Darkfall reference, for people going WUT?*

Makaze-IGN said:
Hey to be clear,

Sounds good as I am looking forward to your results.

Hammer24

Banned
Makaze-IGN said:
Hey to be clear,

How comes the reviewer didn´t go into any detail regarding multi player? I think especially the coop and how well (or not) it runs is of greatest interest to the gamers.

bjaelke

Makaze-IGN: Sorry about the tone earlier but shouldn't you add a disclaimer to the review? If it really is that much of a deal breaker that is.

Top Bottom