• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 |OT|

raYne

Linkhero1 said:
Any tips on crowd control? I reached level 5 and it seems impossible for me to do right now.
If you're going for the bonus locations, don't bother. Use the bat you get early into the waves and only use the bonuses when convenient.

Linkhero1

raYne said:
If you're going for the bonus locations, don't bother. Use the bat you get early into the waves and only use the bonuses when convenient.
I tried that but time always runs out before I get enough money.

raYne

Linkhero1 said:
I tried that but time always runs out before I get enough money.
Right.. which is why you use the bonus locations when convenient.

For instance, because they come in waves you can bat off the early ones in the set and grab the 2nd or 3rd to last and toss him since the remaining one(s) won't bother the celeb that much. Then, if still in range, you should be able to grab the remaining ones and use them for bonuses as well.

Linkhero1

raYne said:
Right.. which is why you use the bonus locations when convenient.

For instance, because they come in waves you can bat off the early ones in the set and grab the 2nd or 3rd to last and toss him since the remaining one(s) won't bother the celeb that much. Then, if still in range, you should be able to grab the remaining ones and use them for bonuses as well.
Oh I didn't notice that they come in waves. That will help me a lot more. Thanks

raYne

The upgraded Saints hideout you get around halfway through the story is hawt.

It's more functional too. The best thing about it being, you no longer have to run through the mission, down flights stairs and into the basement just to get there. Now there's an elevator that takes you there from street level. :D

edit:
Also, Prison Riot. *bow* You don't know how many times I wished there was one in IV. :lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
God this game has gone in the direction I thought GTA was going to go in!!! So awesome!!!! I loved the first one I was a little worried that they would blow it with the 2nd...but they didn't! Just total hawtness

raYne

Whoa.. Voodoo, telekinesis, resurrection, decapitation needed for death.

Sometimes this game is so ridiculous that it's awesome. :lol

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Sorry for being so late but a good snatch hint for everyone: use the APC it holds 4 people and you get the free turret

Linkhero1

Nozdeuce said:
Sorry for being so late but a good snatch hint for everyone: use the APC it holds 4 people and you get the free turret
I did it with some random car. Every time my car is about to explode I bail out and steal the car belonging to the gang who's after me. :lol

Your idea sounds great though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'll have to use that APC sometime soon.

I love that Samedi mission where
Pierce is driving around in the car then boat while you're shooting down the choppers carrying drugs, then you gotta head to land once again. You hi-jack a car and Pierce goes "now that's how we Saints jack cars!" turns it over onto the radio station and goes "I fucking love this song!" then starts singing it as your shooting down more choppers :lol

I swear Saints Row 2 is what GTA IV should have been and I'm assuming what we were all expecting. They both have their pros and cons for sure, but ironically I still see me fooling around in Stilwater for another month compared to pumping through GTA IV within a week and never touching it again.

raYne

Ok, so more incredibly random events. I just unlocked some new gang vehicles, so of course I go to the hideout to check them out.

I bring this female Saint with me from the last mission and she starts yelling at one of the strippers giving this guy a lapdance (I'm guessing it's her boyfriend. Heh.). She walks right up to her and bumps her toughguy style causing the stripper to fall off the guy's lap. So then she taunts at the stripper and the stripper pulls a knife and tries to slice her, but misses. Then she pulls her knife and a knife fight ensues in the middle of the room. :lol

They're going at it for a while and no one's trying to stop them, but all of a sudden another female Saint comes running in with a bat. I guess she saw her girl in a fight and she certainly can't let some random stripper beat her up. They back the stripper into the corner and she goes down after the bat cracks her skull. She's trying to get back on her feet, but they keep her down with bat strikes and knife slashes. Eventually it looks like she's down for the count and, for good measure, the original jealous girl pulls out a shotgun and blasts the stripper in the face.

<3 this game. :lol

speedpop said:
I'll have to use that APC sometime soon.

I love that Samedi mission where
Pierce is driving around in the car then boat while you're shooting down the choppers carrying drugs, then you gotta head to land once again. You hi-jack a car and Pierce goes "now that's how we Saints jack cars!" turns it over onto the radio station and goes "I fucking love this song!" then starts singing it as your shooting down more choppers :lol

I swear Saints Row 2 is what GTA IV should have been and I'm assuming what we were all expecting. They both have their pros and cons for sure, but ironically I still see me fooling around in Stilwater for another month compared to pumping through GTA IV within a week and never touching it again.
I just did that mission a few hours ago. I was in tears the entire time I was trying to finish the mission because of his singing. "No no.. wait.. this part right here is the shit!"

He loves him some driveby music. :lol

Linkhero1

raYne said:
Ok, so more incredibly random events. I just unlocked some new gang vehicles, so of course I go to the hideout to check them out.

I bring this female Saint with me from the last mission and she starts yelling at one of the strippers giving this guy a lapdance (I'm guessing it's her boyfriend. Heh.). She walks right up to her and bumps her toughguy style causing the stripper to fall off the guy's lap. So then she taunts at the stripper and the stripper pulls a knife and tries to slice her, but misses. Then she pulls her knife and a knife fight ensues in the middle of the room. :lol

They're going at it for a while and no one's trying to stop them, but all of a sudden another female Saint comes running in with a bat. I guess she saw her girl in a fight and she certainly can't let some random stripper beat her up. They back the stripper into the corner and she goes down after the bat cracks her skull. She's trying to get back on her feet, but they keep her down with bat strikes and knife slashes. Eventually it looks like she's down for the count and, for good measure, the original jealous girl pulls out a shotgun and blasts the stripper in the face.

:lol
Randomness ftw!

raYne said:

holy shit! :lol

raYne said:

I love the AI in this game. Keeps me entertained. A friend and I were about to head to a Ronin mission when we saw a cop pull over a gang member. We sat and watched. Cop got out of his car, pulled his gun, crouched behind his door. Gang member actually looked back, noticed the cop was taking a defensive position...and squealed off down the street. Cop gave chase. High speed pursuit. We didn't bother following them, but we both figure that high speed chase resulted in a nasty explosion when a bunch of cars collided. lol

Unrelated to the AI, but Aerial Assault is one of my favorite missions in any game, ever, because it kept ratcheting up the awesome. At first I expected "Aerial Assault" referred to us parachuting in to destroy the marijuana field. When I saw we were actually flying in a helicopter gunship, I giggled. I mentioned how we totally needed Wagner's Flight of the Valkyrie playing. Checked out the music stores in-game, and sure enough...they have Wagner's FotV available to buy for the playlist! At some point, I'm replaying that mission and rocking out some Apocalypse Now!

dk_

I rented it yesterday and I've to say that coop is pretty impressive. No lags and you can do every mission/activity together. Flawless.

I really like it (loved the first one, too), but I can't see me buying it atm. There're just too many games which eat my time right now. :-/

Blackace said:
God this game has gone in the direction I thought GTA was going to go in!!! So awesome!!!! I loved the first one I was a little worried that they would blow it with the 2nd...but they didn't! Just total hawtness

Can you give tags? :)

Dead Man

avcables said:
Dunno how many people have come across this Camp Fear-like place, but there's what looks to be a Jason hockey mask. And a prompt when you walk over it, but it does nothing. I'm guessing it's a gimmick?

I just realized that I didn't take a picture of the real prompt. The cellphone rang at the wrong time, haha. It says "Press A to pick up bones" but it doesn't do anything no matter how many times you press A or what you have in your inventory or your hands. Anyone know?
Pretty cool spot, I found the mask and a skull. My guy could pick them both up as environmental weapons, but no other interactions.

TeTr1C

Just got this yesterday in GameFly...I only had time to make a character and mess around for a bit but I already love it. Can't wait to play today for hours doing missions and whatnot.

Double D

Been playing for a while. Total awesomeness. Couple of questions though:

How do you do the ho'ing stuff? I've heard people mention it, but can't figure out where to do this.

About the mission structure: I've gone through the Brotherhood and Ronin, but haven't gotten the achievement for defeating the gangs. Do I have to complete all the Strongholds? Do more missions pop up later?

Vik_Vaughn said:

How do you do the ho'ing stuff? I've heard people mention it, but can't figure out where to do this.

About the mission structure: I've gone through the Brotherhood and Ronin, but haven't gotten the achievement for defeating the gangs. Do I have to complete all the Strongholds? Do more missions pop up later?

Ho'ing is available in strip clubs. Most likely any club you can walk into. There will be a glowing door that you approach to start the minigame. The minigame is a piece of cake, and you get a ridiculous pimp suit for your effort. And I mean ridiculous.

Brashnir

Vik_Vaughn said:

you need to complete all the strongholds before you can do the final missions for each gang.

raYne

Loudninja said:
Will I get my copy today? :D
This minigame ranks up there with the best.

I vote.... no. :/

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Ho'ing is available in strip clubs. Most likely any club you can walk into. There will be a glowing door that you approach to start the minigame. The minigame is a piece of cake, and you get a ridiculous pimp suit for your effort. And I mean ridiculous.
It's also in a bunch of other places like gas station bathrooms and the like.

Where's the best place to find a helicopter? I've gone to the prison helipad but it's empty. Same for the helipad at the penthouse crib. The airport's been empty too every time I've checked unless I'm missing a particular hanger.

raYne

Union Carbine said:
Where's the best place to find a helicopter? I've gone to the prison helipad but it's empty. Same for the helipad at the penthouse crib. The airport's been empty too every time I've checked unless I'm missing a particular hanger.
Why'd you check there of all places. There wouldn't be one there unless you put it there.

I got my first randomly at the airport, but just playing the missions you'll get more that you can land at your various helipads/hangers and keep. I think I'm up to 3 or 4 now. There's also an attack chopper that's periodically on the roof of the police HQ in Saints Row.

raYne said:
Why'd you check there of all places. There wouldn't be one there unless you put it there.

I got my first randomly at the airport, but just playing the missions you'll get more that you can land at your various helipads/hangers and keep. I think I'm up to 3 or 4 now. There's also an attack chopper that's periodically on the roof of the police HQ in Saints Row.
I actually haven't bought that crib yet. I went up to check the price and made a side-trip to the roof.

I'll check police HQ.

There is usually a chopper on the roof of the hospital.

Well I am just over 20 hours in and 52% and still loving it! Almost done with all the gangs, then its on to diversions and activities. One thing I do miss though is the "wheel woman" homie. Was nice to not have to drive everywhere sometimes. I really like the Ronin missions, the samedi were pretty good to. Brotherhood missions are brutal, figuratively and literally, lol. Best sandbox game i've played in a long time. I hope the get a GTA sized budget for SR3 and really go all out.

Darklord

Banned
Whos Donnie and Lin from the first game?

I wish they didn't have so many characters that were in the first, I never played it. :\

raYne

ice cream said:
Buy clothes.
Fixed for accuracy.

It seems that all the clothes you have will eventually get stinky. The only thing that changing them does is lengthen the time it takes before it starts to stink and eventually gets visually dirty.

Stilwater needs a laundromat. :/

raYne

Oh snaps, Donnie's in the game too? :D

See.. this is what I love about it still being in the same city. You get to see all the changes that've been made, the evolution of the city and what's going on with all the old characters.

Not sure if it's been posted in here, but IGN did a head to head on this game. Haven't bought it yet, and not sure if I'm going to to be honest, but I have both a PS3 and 360, and I found the result surprising given what happened with GTA4.

IGN Saints Row 2 Head to Head

360 was the overall winner. Achievements, less loading (despite install on the PS3), less screen tearing and better anti-aliasing on the 360 gave it an edge apparently.

Sorry if this HAS been posted but I didn't want to start a thread that just caused bullshit and looked like flame bait.

eXistor

Just finished it (just the main missions, minimum diversions and activities). It's definitely more fun than GTAIV; the missions and even characters and story are just more fun than anything in GTAIV. GTA IV is still the better game imo. Stillwater itself is a pretty boring city to look at, there are a ton of glitches, some funny, some annoying as shit. The indoor environments are also pretty badly designed.

I love how you can seriously destroy shit and not have major repercussions and I love how over the top violent the game is (everything is ott but in a good way).

Also, the pimpslap is probably the best thing ever.

DeadGzuz

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
360 was the overall winner. Achievements, less loading (despite install on the PS3), less screen tearing and better anti-aliasing on the 360 gave it an edge apparently.

Not surprising considering they made Saints 1 before ever working on a PS3. I doubt it has less screen tearing though, the 360 version has it non-stop, it can't be worse IMO. I own the 360 version.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Not sure if it's been posted in here, but IGN did a head to head on this game. Haven't bought it yet, and not sure if I'm going to to be honest, but I have both a PS3 and 360, and I found the result surprising given what happened with GTA4.

IGN Saints Row 2 Head to Head

Sorry if this HAS been posted but I didn't want to start a thread that just caused bullshit and looked like flame bait.

360 owners have reported a lot of freezes though.

MMaRsu

eXistor said:
Just finished it (just the main missions, minimum diversions and activities). It's definitely more fun than GTAIV; the missions and even characters and story are just more fun than anything in GTAIV. GTA IV is still the better game imo. Stillwater itself is a pretty boring city to look at, there are a ton of glitches, some funny, some annoying as shit. The indoor environments are also pretty badly designed.

I love how you can seriously destroy shit and not have major repercussions and I love how over the top violent the game is (everything is ott but in a good way).

Also, the pimpslap is probably the best thing ever.

How can GTAIV be the better game when Saints Row 2 is more fun?

Don't we all play for fun?

MMaRsu

Lol @ people commiting suicide in this game...just walked to the image as designed, and just as I was about to open the door, I hear aaaaaaaaah and some bitch falls down next to me blood all over the pavement.
:lol

sick :lol

Dabanton

DeadGzuz said:
Not surprising considering they made Saints 1 before ever working on a PS3. I doubt it has less screen tearing though, the 360 version has it non-stop, it can't be worse IMO. I own the 360 version.

I've played SR2 for at least 10 hours and haven't seen any tearing.

Top Bottom