• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

Salsa

I mean, GTA vs Saints Row is up to personal preference of course, and obviously GTAV looks to be way more polished and had a much longer dev time to begin with

but.. calling SR a GTA clone is really just not accurate anymore, at all

I enjoy both for completely different reasons

Yeah it's basically filler for me too. I admit all I can really think of right now with games is GTA 5 because of how impressive it looks. They're the only open world dev who manages to make their worlds feel alive too which gives it a unique advantage over not just SR but others like just cause and infamous too.

I should be able to enjoy this for what it is though. Until 5 comes out at least.

Exactly. I won't say this is filler, as I'm more excited for GTAV than any other game this year, but I won't say that SR2-4 is a GTA clone and a shitty one at that. They are meant to be different, and they are. SR for goofy over the top fun. GTA for quasi-realistic fun with more meaningful sidequests.

Either way, there are a ton of games coming in the following months, should make for a great time.

Dug

Banned
GTA V mechanics will shit all over this game and GTA IV ... but I will enjoy this game for what it is. I like SR but its a fucking GTA rip off 100%, this series is so over hyped its not even funny. Again its fun, but this is just filler for me until September.
Saints Row IV is more like Crackdown mixed with Infamous...not GTA.

Riggs

Banned
I mean, GTA vs Saints Row is up to personal preference of course, and obviously GTAV looks to be way more polished and had a much longer dev time to begin with

but.. calling SR a GTA clone is really just not accurate anymore, at all

I enjoy both for completely different reasons

I am talking about the beginnings mostly, was hard to clarify my position as I was typing on mobile.

SR has advanced into it's own game, there is no doubt about that. But at its heart, I still feel it's a clone in a way. Totally get what you are saying though. Again I enjoy the series, but GTA is just my own personal shit. I remember being in 6th grade asking my friend what gouranga mean't in real life lol. Good times.

Saints Row IV is more like Crackdown mixed with Infamous...not GTA.

Pretty accurate analogy , I can dig it son.

sonicmj1

I sent a support ticket to GMG about only getting a key for the pre-order DLC, and they replied quickly saying they would be sending out keys soon, but it's two hours before release and I'm starting to get a little concerned.

Derrick01

Banned
Exactly. I won't say this is filler, as I'm more excited for GTAV than any other game this year, but I won't say that SR2-4 is a GTA clone and a shitty one at that. They are meant to be different, and they are. SR for goofy over the top fun. GTA for quasi-realistic fun with more meaningful sidequests.

Either way, there are a ton of games coming in the following months, should make for a great time.

Yeah I can't call a game that makes you the president and a superhero in the span of an hour a GTA ripoff. It hasn't really been like that since 2.

Riggs

Banned
ss_8b859de08adde0d31a9f60f10f39562d73614bd2.1920x1080.jpg

Wtf, give me this now ....

Pimpbaa

Hmm, make a male character that looks like me so I can shag Shaundi or make a hot female character like I have done since 2.

Turfster

God damn it.
So the GMG key someone in the US bought for me is giving me the "Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in this country.Your purchase has been cancelled." error message when I try to add it here in Europe.

Am I royally screwed, or should I wait until it's closer to release date over here? (3 more days)

Ploid 3.0

I'm doing Green She Hulk and try to play her as real She Hulk. Melee, Speed, Powa, Smash Ground type stuff. Doubt I can go without guns though.

One and a half hours until unlock on Steam! I've played through each game in the series two times over the past month in anticipation. This is seriously, behind Metal Gear Solid and Shenmue, one of my favorite game series of all time. GTA is not even on my top 10.

No Love

Banned
Wow, this game. After you unlock the super powers (maybe an hour into the game), you really understand why Volition went with the choice they did.

Just like Prototype/Infamous/Crackdown, it is so damn liberating to not feel like you have to be in a vehicle to traverse the city. I feel that the controls for super jumping are a tad bit floaty, but I guess it makes sense considering your character just gained these insane supernatural abilities and hasn't quite harnessed them yet. Hopefully as you upgrade your powers, you gain more finesse over the way you jump and fall.

So far, so good. I think everyone is really going to love this game, I sure do.

SlickVic

Will be done preloading in 20 minutes. Wish I had tomorrow off so I could play this all night, but it'll be nice to enjoy some SR IV goodness.

Ploid 3.0

Wow, this game. After you unlock the super powers (maybe an hour into the game), you really understand why Volition went with the choice they did.

Just like Prototype/Infamous/Crackdown, it is so damn liberating to not feel like you have to be in a vehicle to traverse the city. I feel that the controls for super jumping are a tad bit floaty, but I guess it makes sense considering your character just gained these insane supernatural abilities and hasn't quite harnessed them yet. Hopefully as you upgrade your powers, you gain more finesse over the way you jump and fall.

So far, so good. I think everyone is really going to love this game, I sure do.

I can understand that feeling, again I loved the heck out of Just Cause 2's parachute + grapple combo for traveling the world. It's so fast and fun to do.

Also Day 1 mod coming from Idol Ninja.

http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/sr4-mods-coming-tonight.3194/

On SR4 release, I will first be doing a compare of the final release files against the press release version to make sure that none of my mods need tweaking. I expect this all to take 2-3 hours and will then put everything up for download. I have the following ready to go:

Customize/Delete any vehicle plus wardrobe color changer - In addtion, this mod also adds Gateway customization menu functionality instead of being restricted to just Rim Jobs. It also supports modding helicopters and planes perfectly with no need for anything like the old wonky SRTT boat conversion mod.

Extra clothing and makeup colors - I ran this by Firespite who gave his approval for me to port over all his extra color choices from SRTT into SRIV so it would be ready to go on launch.

Open Cheats and additional cheats - Adds 47 additional cheats to the game including fan favorites like low gravity, giant player, and tiny player along with a ton of extra vehicle stuff including spawning in turrets and even cut SRTT vehicles like the Pony Cart. It also removes all cheat flagging. This will naturally include a full list of all cheats from the vanilla game as well.

Rift expander - Throughout the city there are rifts which do weird stuff to npcs and vehicles; huge eyes or heads, super long arms, people walking upside down, etc. A rift's area of influence is rather tiny though. This mod comes in two flavors: The 4x version makes the rifts' influence about the size of a city block, while the infinite version makes the whole entire city function that way.

Time of Day early unlock - Adds the time of day unlock to mission 6: The Escape so that you will be able to control the look of the city as soon as you get your ship, for those users who hate playing in forced nighttime for most of the game.

Original homie outfits - Keeps all the homies' original outfits when they get superpower abilities for anyone who hates the new looks.

OTHER MODS BEING HELD BACK TEMPORARILY:

m14 Gang Spawn fixes - Fixes the Anomalous Reading mission so that the right gang npcs spawn correctly. Not a huge issue or anything, and I didn't even notice it myself until a second playthrough. Needs to be tested to make sure the bug actually still exists in the final public build.

Sandbox+ for SRIV - A big chunk of the work on this is finished but it still needs more polishing. You can probably expect this one in a bout a week.

Mission Replay - The interface stuff is all done, but it's still not working as expected. Will probably be a team effort like last time with SRTT.

Extended Sliders - It's done, but Volition has asked us to hold this one back for one week until they can get their community stuff sorted.

No Love

Banned
Oh my god. After you unlock the powers and can start collecting data clusters... it is just as addicting as getting the orbs in Crackdown. Can't... resist... hunting... for them!!

I can understand that feeling, again I loved the heck out of Just Cause 2's parachute + grapple combo for traveling the world. It's so fast and fun to do.

Also Day 1 mod coming from Idol Ninja.

http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/sr4-mods-coming-tonight.3194/

This is just as satisfying. It basically has all of Prototype 1/2's moves as unlockable upgrades. I just learned how to air dash during jumping and then glide afterwards!!

Megasoum

Banned
So I can't decide what voice to use. I love the idea of Nolan North playing himself but in the Giantbomb Quicklook they seem to say that maybe Volition was not pushing the joke far enough to be really worth it?

Deciding if I should go buy some Heineken to play this, or just stay sober, or go to bed and play tomorrow.

What you think guys?

I have a bottle of Crown and Coke for my adventures tonight. I say go for the Heineken. Though, I'd pick a beer that doesn't suck. :p

OMFG YES!!!!! WHAT IS LOVE IS IN THE GAME!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6g-Vh4vcD0

Baby don't hurt me... No more... Volition killin it with this game. Even better than SR2/SR3, and I'm only a few hours in the game.

Stay up and play. It's fucking grand.

Dude spoilers. I Don't care but that moment is particularly epic. It might piss off some. Also if you think thats even a taste of what this game has
Wait till you play Saints of rage (yep)

Hah all good, you should see what I normally drink its down right shameful.

I feel you. Unless it's a special occasion(friends over) I almost exclusively drink Coors Light as my beer of choice. It's a great sipping beer that you can drink forever and not have a terrible hangover when you wake up. Love Coors Light. I have no room to talk.

styl3s

Dude spoilers. I Don't care but that moment is particularly epic. It might piss off some. Also if you think thats even a taste of what this game has
Wait till you play Saints of rage (yep)
I know a lot of people that is going to be pissed off from that song spoiler.

Personally it doesn't really bother me since i don't know the context, but it would of been nice to of stumbled across it myself.

Top Bottom