• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just played for a few hours and reached the simulated city. Does it get better? So far it has been... eh, OK, but not really mind blowing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok, so it looks like every set of homies only have one unique dialogue piece each, can someone verify this ?

I took Kinzie, Keith David and CID on multiple occasions and Keith and Kinzie only had the one set of dialogue over and over.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Thought this was supposed to have workshop support?
Ok, so it looks like every set of homies only have one unique dialogue piece each, can someone verify this ?

I took Kinzie, Keith David and CID on multiple occasions and Keith and Kinzie only had the one set of dialogue over and over.

Only one line, but each pairing has unique dialogue. Particularly fond of the Maero and Keith David one. Anyone know if Mr. Sunshine is a homie? Would be a better choice than a lot of the ones in here.

Heheh, the Boss is a goofball. That mission was gooood, loved the random dialogue.mmmhhhmm.

Yup, the game's greatest selling point to me is the great dialogue between the Boss and the characters, at least during all the big missions. The VA (at least Laura Bailey's) is superb. That mission and the
Shaudi & Pierce
loyalty missions are probably my favorites

edit:
Just beat the game and got the 2nd ending, what a nice tease for dlc/SRV :D

Lain

Got my key from Nuuvem and played for 6 hours and I'm liking it so far.
The start was weak compared to the start of SR3 but the super powers stuff is pretty addicting.
I only got annoyed that right after unlocking the
freezing power
the game crashed on me, but at least that gave me a chance to come in here and post something about my experience with the game.

I finished the story part of the game today. I clocked in at 25.5 hours with 98% complete. The only things I have left to do are 19 challenges, various achievements and buying + modding every car in the game if I want to totally complete it.

The game was very fun. The story missions were meaty in their content, but the side missions being tied into activities was a bit annoying. I would have liked some side missions to be completely devoid of any involvement of activities and store hacking. The super powers are awesome, especially
death from above with the nuclear powerup:D

Oh, meant to mention this earlier. If you want some grade school laughs, put on the hotdog suit and go gliding around. Make sure you move around during the glide.

DrBo42

So...,fans of Crackdown. Is this scratching your CD itch? How's the platforming? At all comparable to that in Crackdown?

The platforming mechanics in Crackdown are miles better. There's no "Fuck yes! Finally made it to that point!" It's just easy mode and the jump doesn't feel nearly as good, probably because of the high charge time.

eshwaaz

I bought the explosive ammo upgrade for my dual pistols, but I'm not noticing any differences at all - no new visual effects, no extra damage. Do I have to do something to activate it? I can't find any way to buy explosive rounds or change the firing mode of the pistols.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I bought the explosive ammo upgrade for my dual pistols, but I'm not noticing any differences at all - no new visual effects, no extra damage. Do I have to do something to activate it? I can't find any way to buy explosive rounds or change the firing mode of the pistols.

I automatically throws enemies you shoot into ragdoll, and you can juggle them in the air.

Saprol

The upgrades are always active.

Gvaz

Banned
game crashed in the final mission. I have never played such a fucking crashy game.

good-grief-charlie-brown.jpg

game crashed in the final mission. I have never played such a fucking crashy game.

good-grief-charlie-brown.jpg

I've had the game get stuck on loading twice (once was fixed by simply reloading the game, the other is currently keeping me from finishing the game), but other than that, zero problems (on PC). Well, another time my character was stuck in a state where it thought it was falling and I couldn't jump anymore, but that was fixed by simply hitting the ground stomp power.

Sober

Haha oh man Kinzie's rescue mission
if you pull up the weapon wheel when you are in the 1950s sitcom the boss will make a comment about it

Gvaz

Banned
I rarely get game breaking bugs in videogames but i'm sure getting it with this one

1. gotten stuck on geometry and eventually got unstuck
2. gotten attached to an exploding car, model sperged out and got unstuck
3. game likes to crash on an action, through googling it looks like a windows TDR issue.
Windows Vista and later operating systems attempt to detect situations in which computers appear to be completely "frozen". They then attempt to dynamically recover from the frozen situations so that their desktops are responsive again. This process of detection and recovery is known as timeout detection and recovery (TDR). In the TDR process, the operating system's GPU scheduler calls the display miniport driver's DxgkDdiResetFromTimeout function to reinitialize the driver and reset the GPU. Therefore, end users are not required to reboot the operating system, which greatly enhances their experience.
4. game loves to kill my graphics driver, only game that does this to me.

Torraz

Need a small spoiler (early game)

Do you need to get all the collectibles before doing "the escape"? Or does the stuff from the simulated city go to the same place in the real steelport?

Thanks

Do you need to get all the collectibles before doing "the escape"? Or does the stuff from the simulated city go to the same place in the real steelport?

Thanks

No, as that would be insane with the amount of collectables there are.

Thanks

Nope.

The cyber Steelport is the game's main setting, and more collectibles unlock as you progress through the game.

It's actually easier if you wait a few missions before trying to hunt down every last cluster.

You'll unlock collectible map markers in one of the side missions.

Shahadan

Wow whoever got the idea to make Zinyak and Jane Valderama read Romeo & Juliet on the radio deserves my admiration. So amazing.

Wow whoever got the idea to make Zinyak and Jane Valderama read Romeo & Juliet on the radio deserves my admiration. So amazing.

Best radio station of the game now, not becuase of the music, although its great, but becuase of the intermissions. No ads, documentaries or news and little participation of the DJs in the other stations bring them down (the Donkey one with Valderma is great though, becuase of her voice). The Mix has the best music, maybe even a bigger number of great tracks than the Third.
I also loved that in Klassic they put the music of figaro, and I was singing all the way exagerating it, as it reminded me of the Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry cartoons, then the song finishes and Ziyak says something like "Even if I dispise the animated art form I appalud them for using this magnificent piece of music"
HAHAHAHAHAHA! I couldnt stop laughing after that, becuase it was just perfectly written as its exactly what I thought when I was listening, cartoons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFFOHqx520E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jv3lL6imzU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INGB4tFvHwY

The barber of seville was fantastic for cartoons.

Me too. The customization thing kind of made me do a double look. It wasn't like this in the past game right? I don't remember it being in SR3.

No, before every time you upgraded (up to 4) the weapons changed slightly (2 only in the bat). Now you have like weapons with 10 different skins, some of them change it totally (even sounds) and add new jokes (like the star trek gun). I prefer much more this type of changing, than the other, that was more realistic but limiting, also some weapons didnt change at all or very little even with upgrades.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
gonna be weird playing a game at ~25 fps on a ps3 at 720p vs 1440p, 60fps on pc.
What are you running?

At 1440p I can only achieve a rather inconsistent framerate on a GTX680. I ended up locking the game at 30 fps and using SGSSAA. It's rock solid with those settings.

Row

Banned
No, before every time you upgraded (up to 4) the weapons changed slightly (2 only in the bat). Now you have like weapons with 10 different skins, some of them change it totally (even sounds) and add new jokes (like the star trek gun). I prefer much more this type of changing, than the other, that was more realistic but limiting, also some weapons didnt change at all or very little even with upgrades.

So more skins get unlocked? I'm at about 23% right now and all my guns seem to just have ~2 simple skins that only change the color

Mafro

Is the character upload/download stuff getting hammered or something? I've got characters added to my queue for download but in-game it says I don't have any.

mxgt

Banned
I always love how popping pedestrian tyres with wheel spikes makes them go batshit crazy, crash into walls and run people over. Highly amusing.

So more skins get unlocked? I'm at about 23% right now and all my guns seem to just have ~2 simple skins that only change the color

More skins get unlocked, but still, there are some wepaons that have 3 or 4 different skins from the get a go, thats whitout saying the change of color.

Jintor

Is there an adult swim station? I remember Jeff talking about it, but I have no idea which one it is.

Also, Kind of wish you could just map powers to Q and E on PC and use that. And that super stomp just kicked in automatically if you pressed 'punch' while super jumping, since it's not like you can fire your shotty or anything in mid-air.

But god damn, what a game. Asha's rescue mission had me rolling.
The guards becoming increasingly more pointed jabs at stealth games was amazing, especially once you got to the boxes. "Damn my short attention span!"

Couple of spoiler questions regarding fail states:
What happens if you take the red door, and what happens if you fail stealth bits in Asha's mission?

Is there an adult swim station? I remember Jeff talking about it, but I have no idea which one it is.

Also, Kind of wish you could just map powers to Q and E on PC and use that. And that super stomp just kicked in automatically if you pressed 'punch' while super jumping, since it's not like you can fire your shotty or anything in mid-air.

But god damn, what a game. Asha's rescue mission had me rolling.
The guards becoming increasingly more pointed jabs at stealth games was amazing, especially once you got to the boxes. "Damn my short attention span!"

Couple of spoiler questions regarding fail states:
What happens if you take the red door, and what happens if you fail stealth bits in Asha's mission?

Failing
Asha's mission has her screaming "Boss?! BOSS?! BOSSSSSSSSS?!!!!!!!" :D

dubq

A look at our head-to-head video and triple-format 720p comparison gallery suggests that the PS3 game retains its 720p vertical resolution but that the horizontal has been scaled back by 25 per cent, giving a 960x720 framebuffer. This results in some additional harshness around geometry edges and effects, along with a degree of fuzziness to the overall image that we usually see on sub-HD titles. Compared to Saints Row: The Third the difference between platforms is now more readily apparent.

I'd been noticing this.. the game, on PS3, looks a bit fuzzier than SRTT. Why would they scale back the horizontal resolution?

For everyone playing on pc, download the FOV fix immediately if you haven't yet it makes the game ten times more enjoyable.
Goodbye eye blinders!, It makes the game look much nicer too since there is more stuff onscreen.

Game still runs like ass though, drops to 25 fps regardless of if I turn msaa off, turn shadows completely off, turn the reflections off etc.
Idk why,the faster you go the lower the framerate drops (but less so when running and jumping than when in a car)
When playing normally it hovers around 60-70 with drops to 40 fps but the moment I get in a car the framerate goes to shit.
Last game had the same problem.

At least it looks quite a lot nicer graphically with the updated reflections and all the extra geometry on the map... lod settings seem less agressive too.

The game itself is way way way better than saints row 3, the superpowers are actually fun and interesting to use, there's a nice learning curve to the charged jumping that gets more satisfying as you get better at using it.
The movement gameplay does the same thing for this game that the grappleshute did for just cause 2, it gives you freedom and makes the game a lot more enjoyable.
Gta5 is going to seem archaic without similar mechanics.

The new weapons are better thought out than those in sr3 as well.

Good game it's a shame about the performance, framedrops put a really big damper on the fun, I don't buy pc games to deal with console like framerates :\

I hope that for their next game on next gen they get rid of this engine and start over with something that scales better and runs more consistently.

You're lucky, I'm not even halfway and...

<_<

>_>

...got this:
That is supposed to happen, as you do more missions you do damage to the virtual world and it gets more and more glitchy.
You get much more of the blocky corruption effect on vehicles and the environment, the water in areas you cleared turns entirely into the tron line mesh instead of water etc.
I assume that near the end of the game things 'll get really over the top glitchy.
They had an opportunity to Mimic some scenes out of Paprika with this game.

Tohsaka

Quick trophy/achievement question for those of you who have already finished the game. I did all of the sidequests (including Loyalty mission) Kinzie had available before moving onto the story missions and subsequent sidequests from other characters, but her character-related trophy popped. I'm now at the point in the story where you have to
rescue Johnny Gat.
Will Kinzie eventually give me more sidquests, or did my game glitch somehow? I got all the other character-related trophies so far.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I don't know if I would call them skins though. They seem to behave differently.

Top Bottom