• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

CackleAndHide

Neo Member
I'm enjoying game so far at about 6-7hrs in. I don't think I'll be able to go back to the third game now; it'd feel very slow without the super powers.

Must admit it seems graphically a little rough around the edges on the 360, especially when you see pc screenshots. I wouldn't be able to play it on my laptop anyway though. Wonder if they'll consider a xbone or ps4 version?

Couple of spoiler questions regarding fail states:
What happens if you take the red door

The end credits roll and you get an achievement/trophy. It then jumps to a failed mission screen and takes you back to the two doors again

MechDX

There was some outfit I bought for my character, like a black gown with a long slit on the front. When my character glides you get a blurred out area in her crotch. Thought it was just a nice touch.

I have weird performance issue aswell.

FX-6300
HD 7850 2gb
8gb ram

If i max it out framerate drops from fluid to 1-2 frames. Its insane. And i read on other sites that my system is enough to max it out.

No idea whats causing this,

Right now i play it in low settings in 1080p. Still have drops but its alot better. But looks way worse :/

Why is every Saints Row PC release causing a ton of issues? 2 was a horrible mess on launch on PC. The Third was a bit better but it still was riddled with issues. And now the same with 4...

That is supposed to happen, as you do more missions you do damage to the virtual world and it gets more and more glitchy.
You get much more of the blocky corruption effect on vehicles and the environment, the water in areas you cleared turns entirely into the tron line mesh instead of water etc.
I assume that near the end of the game things 'll get really over the top glitchy.
They had an opportunity to Mimic some scenes out of Paprika with this game.

Oh wow, didn't know that. I noticed the corruption effect on cars and thought it was my drivers and update them.

This game keeps delivering :3

Shahadan

So I was playing coop this morning, and now the game would not let me invite anyone. I don't even get the option to invite via steam chat.
Inviting after loading my save on co-op campaign in the menu tells me "could not send an invite". Someone had this problem?

Edit : fixed

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I have weird performance issue aswell.

FX-6300
HD 7850 2gb
8gb ram

If i max it out framerate drops from fluid to 1-2 frames. Its insane. And i read on other sites that my system is enough to max it out.

No idea whats causing this,

Right now i play it in low settings in 1080p. Still have drops but its alot better. But looks way worse :/

Why is every Saints Row PC release causing a ton of issues? 2 was a horrible mess on launch on PC. The Third was a bit better but it still was riddled with issues. And now the same with 4...

I didn't have any issues with SR3 either. I have an Nvidia card though, and plenty of people who mention having issues for both games seem to mainly have Radeons.

SR2 was just poor all around, but 3 and 4 have been solid performance wise.

I didn't have any issues with SR3 either. I have an Nvidia card though, and plenty of people who mention having issues for both games seem to mainly have Radeons.

SR2 was just poor all around, but 3 and 4 have been solid performance wise.

And that is why you didn't have issues with sr3

People with amd cards had to run sr3 with shadows on low or medium and AO off at release to stay over 30 fps. Unless they could brute force it with a hd6970 at the time and settle for drops to like 35 fps.

Friend of mine had a gtx260 and he ran the game at 50-80 fps, my 4870 (which was equivalent in power in every other game) ran it at exactly half that framerate.

Idk if it's the same issue with sr4 but it might be a different issue since lowering shadow settings etc does absolutely nothing this time. I get the exact same framerate drops playing with 2xmsaa and every setting maxed as with no AA and shadows off/reflections off/ao off.

Getting quite a lot of stutter the more I play in the ps3 version which is quite dissappointing since SR3 wasn't like this and 4 is just a re-skin with super powers.

Can anyone tell me how I unlock more elements for my super powers or will I obtain them all through the story? I have just obtained the 4th Active power.

Spoilers for Pierce's Loyalty mission,
for those who want to see what the difference between the different voices http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EULNn6BnbU Laura Bailey and Nolan North were the best :D

Can anyone tell me how I unlock more elements for my super powers or will I obtain them all through the story? I have just obtained the 4th Active power.
Most elements will be unlocked by doing side missions for Homies (they're the rewards for doing them), new powers I think unlock by doing more of the main story

for those who want to see what the difference between the different voices http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EULNn6BnbU Laura Bailey and Nolan North were the best :D

Most elements will be unlocked by doing side missions for Homies (they're the rewards for doing them), new powers I think unlock by doing more of the main story

Cheers I will just crack on with the loyalty missions then instead of mucking about with the mayhem and prof genki side quests

Sorian

Banned
Cheers I will just crack on with the loyalty missions then instead of mucking about with the mayhem and prof genki side quests

It's actually their side quests that are not the loyalty missions that will give the other version of powers so you'll still end up mucking about in mayhem quests and flahspoints.

So, anyone else been having problems with the game getting stuck when either trying to accept or decline a change such as in IAD or getting Tattoo's?
What happns is I try to press A to accept but nothing happens. Same with B to decline. Usually I can't do anything and have to quit the game buy Alt-Tabbing out and closing the game (this is PC, obviously, but with a controller). Any chance for a patch to fix this?

Great game though. Lot's of film and game references. Really geeky!

It's actually their side quests that are not the loyalty missions that will give the other version of powers so you'll still end up mucking about in mayhem quests and flahspoints.

Yeah sorry, Sorian is correct, it is actually their side missions not the Loyalty missions that will give you more elements/weapons. The Loyalty missions will give your homies superpowers however

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So, anyone else been having problems with the game getting stuck when either trying to accept or decline a change such as in IAD or getting Tattoo's?
What happns is I try to press A to accept but nothing happens. Same with B to decline. Usually I can't do anything and have to quit the game buy Alt-Tabbing out and closing the game (this is PC, obviously, but with a controller). Any chance for a patch to fix this?

Great game though. Lot's of film and game references. Really geeky!

That happens sometimes when I try click on accept or click on enter, normally fixed by pressing the button enter, do idea what the console equivalent of that would be.

HT UK

How's the Nolan North voice?

I used it for the prologue, but swapped to the cockney one as soon as I could reach the plastic surgeon. Playing Saints Row without a cockney voice didn't feel right!

I think the Dubstep gun is one of the greatest guns in gaming history.

Nothing like walking down a street holding down the trigger and watching people on either side of the street dancing and cars bouncing around.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just finished it on 360. Here's random thoughts for people considering buying it.

+ Traversal powers are fun. Feels like a good Crackdown game
+ Parody of other games is humorous
+ Activities are basically as good as The Third, and there seems to be more of them

- Incredibly obvious that this was an expansion stretched into a full game. Most of the missions are little more than "run here, shoot this until it dies"
- The city feels lifeless and is visually unappealing. Basically a straight asset rip from The Third, it feels like
- Lack of "oh sh*t!" moments like in The Third
- Tons of bullet sponges throughout the whole game
- While superpowers are fun, it basically eliminates any sense of difficulty in the game. The traversal powers render vehicles redundant

Overall, it's good, but I don't think it's as good as The Third or worth $60. I guess it's like a 7, using the entire 1-10 scale. I played it in co-op too, if that matters.

Addnan

Is there some magic way to retrieve a save that has been saved over on the PC. I am pretty pissed off right now. My brother played and he wrote over my save file on the PC. Fuck I had so much play time in that and I never replay any fucking game. aRGK

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The traversal was just ok. It wasn't rewarding like Crackdown and it wasn't nearly as fun to get around as Just Cause 2.

My dream game remains a Just Cause sequel that has a ridiculous story like Saints Row 3. Just Cause 2 had such a bummer of a story/mission structure, and if it significantly improved that it would be amazing.

I'm only five hours into the game, but when do the main missions stop being activities?

It's really annoying to have to do those platforming missions as a requirement to continue the story.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm only five hours into the game, but when do the main missions stop being activities?

It's really annoying to have to do those platforming missions as a requirement to continue the story.

Never really. Those are scattered throughout. And yes, it is terrible.

Worth it to finish though.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

I was actually just about to come asking about this, lol. Always fun hearing the other voices.

Played a fair bit more, and my complaints are still the same, while the main missions and loyalty quests are all good to great, the activities still range in quality, and the world feels even more lifeless now that you're jumping/running up buildings instead of driving around and seeing pedestrians and such. I miss seeing things like the sudden emergence of a pimp/cop brawl in SR2. There's no real sense of life to the world, and while I know some of it is intentional due to being a simulation, it shares the same problem with SR3. With SR2 (not so much 1, to be fair), I at least felt like I was inside of Stillwater.

Some of it stems from the obvious shift in tone from 1/2 to 3/4, and I like that it's addressed somewhat in the story missions, but it still...rankles, I guess.

It's too bad about the lack of a lock-on feature, because having jumping take out your ability to use a weapon kinda really limits you to just using superpowers instead of combining the two.

Still having fun running around collecting orbs, though, and the like I said previously, the main missions are better than 3's. I'd probably give it an 8, with SR2 getting a 9, and SR3 a 7-7.5. Been too long since I've played 1 to remember, lol.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Also, why is the game obsessed with taking away your super powers? There are the grenades that do it and then seemingly half of the story missions do it for horrible reasons. They just didn't want to design good gameplay around letting you actually use your powers. Trying to fit in content from past games without redesigning them with super powers in mind.

This game is so good. Just got to 99% after 26 hours. All clusters now collected, and all challenges complete minus the alien vehicle one (that will take some time).

What? I think there are three activities in the main missions (platforming rift, blazing, and one other activity, I believe).

I don't know what you guys are talking about. This was a legitimate complaint in SR3 (since every type of activity was at least one "mission"), but not in this one.

Now a lot of the sidequests consisted of activities but I don't recall there being much of it in the main story. There were some missions that felt like the activities, though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah, almost all the sidequests are activities, but other than right at the beginning I can't recall any main story missions being activities. The loyalty missions I've done so far weren't activities either.

Lingitiz

There were a few main quests as activities when you first get into the simulation, but it didn't seem anywhere near as bad as SR3. When you first meet Kinzie and the others in 3 they all start off with sets of activities.

I actually do prefer some of the sidequest lines as activity chains. I didn't really do a lot of activities in SR3 compared the previous game, so this way at least keeps you moving throughout the world.

Yeah, almost all the sidequests are activities, but other than right at the beginning I can't recall any main story missions being activities. The loyalty missions I've done so far weren't activities either.

Yeah, the sidequests are basically a more rewarding way to experience the activities and targets. There is one loyalty mission late in the game that could slightly be considered an activity, but it still has a twist on it and is not a normal activity found on the map.

I looked it up, and there are 4 activities appended to missions, and unlike SR3, they aren't the whole mission, simply one part. That's 4 missions, out of 37 main and 7 loyalty.

What? I think there are three activities in the main missions (platforming rift, blazing, and one other activity, I believe).

I don't know what you guys are talking about. This was a legitimate complaint in SR3 (since every type of activity was at least one "mission"), but not in this one.

There are a few missions where you walk around and scripts happen.

Then you have to do Blazin. Then you do the Mayhem stuff more than once. Then you do those capture points twice, both the singular ones and the ones where you take down those 3/2 dishes to destroy the big tower.

(I forgot the names, sorry)

Also, you have to do the car one, and that platforming one. The game forces you to do these activities and rarely ever pulls up an original mission.

Edit: you know what? I mixed up a few of the missions with activities.

Going by the recent FAQ, these are the ones:

BLAZIN
HOT AND COLD
HACK THE PLANET
PLATFORMING RIFTS

Those are the storyline missions that involve you doing activities, leaving like three missions up to the point where I'm at that aren't scripted moments, and those aren't interesting enough to keep me playing.

It feels like a big o' tutorial during like every mission.

Also, why is the game obsessed with taking away your super powers? There are the grenades that do it and then seemingly half of the story missions do it for horrible reasons. They just didn't want to design good gameplay around letting you actually use your powers. Trying to fit in content from past games without redesigning them with super powers in mind.

because for some, the game is just as fun without superpowers as with them. Infact, I find missions where I HAVE to use super powers (those stupid warden fights are the worst) to be far more jarring.

Personally, I find the missions without powers to be fine, it's a break from godmode and adds variety.

And yeah, it's the side quests they shit up with activities, the main missions are largely brilliant.

In a year that's apparently given us the Citizen Kane of gaming and the Citizen Cane of gaming, this I guess would be the Spaceballs of gaming.

jediyoshi

Personally, I find the missions without powers to be fine, it's a break from godmode and adds variety.

Yeah, it's much preferable that somewhere along the line they justify these moments. The use of powers breaks ground vehicle usage and smaller scale combat which were otherwise completely legitimate. At some point you may as well complain you don't get a noclip god mode power.

GamerSoul

Pierce's loyalty mission I'd exactly what I expected for a guy like him. lol. that had me rolling. lately I haven't had any glitches so its been great.

Finally caved and picked up a copy of this today. Had to go so didn't have much time to play, but just the first few missions alone were great, I couldn't help but crack up at the absurdity of them. I can only imagine what this game has in store, but I can't wait to find out.

There are a few missions where you walk around and scripts happen.

Then you have to do Blazin. Then you do the Mayhem stuff more than once. Then you do those capture points twice, both the singular ones and the ones where you take down those 3/2 dishes to destroy the big tower.

(I forgot the names, sorry)

Also, you have to do the car one, and that platforming one. The game forces you to do these activities and rarely ever pulls up an original mission.

Edit: you know what? I mixed up a few of the missions with activities.

Going by the recent FAQ, these are the ones:

BLAZIN
HOT AND COLD
HACK THE PLANET
PLATFORMING RIFTS

Those are the storyline missions that involve you doing activities, leaving like three missions up to the point where I'm at that aren't scripted moments, and those aren't interesting enough to keep me playing.

It feels like a big o' tutorial during like every mission.

So you admit only 4 missions contain activities, mostly as tutorials for these brand new superpowers, and that you are passed them. Why would you be upset now? There are no more activities in missions lol. You are only about 15 percent through the missions, and they only get better as the game continues.

Cheddahz

Banned
This game is so much better than the third one. I'm having a blast with it and just being able to jump around the city while listening to Riff Raff is so much fun

Pimpbaa

Idk if it's the same issue with sr4 but it might be a different issue since lowering shadow settings etc does absolutely nothing this time. I get the exact same framerate drops playing with 2xmsaa and every setting maxed as with no AA and shadows off/reflections off/ao off.

This game can be very cpu bound and you have an outdated AMD cpu (which is why changing gpu settings does nothing for you).

So you admit only 4 missions contain activities, mostly as tutorials for these brand new superpowers, and that you are passed them. Why would you be upset now? There are no more activities in missions lol. You are only about 15 percent through the missions, and they only get better as the game continues.

When your first two or three missions are scripted, and only a few more after that involve something boring, and the rest are as I described, it just isn't fun for me.

True, I passed them, but that doesn't justify my boredom.

A game's beginning is suppose to draw me in. I really shouldn't have to wait until hours later to get to that creamy nugget of fun.

Sorian

Banned
I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the mixed reactions to the game since so many people, pre-release, were saying how SRIV was getting to sound too over the top but I have to say, I like it more then 3. Traversal has become extremely fun (driving has always sucked in Saints Row) and I like having the mixed bag of powers and guns (both of which are legitimite choices). I haven't seen a ton of missions yet (just got to the first time where I can pick which story mission I'd like to do next out of 3) but I am lucking the more "subtle" humor in this one as opposed to the over the top in your face humor from the third. There have been a couple in your face moments but I think, comparatively, the humor is more in the undertones for this game. Gameplay is also top notch in my opinion. A couple activities have been shite but otherwise, most has been the same or an improvement.

A game's beginning is suppose to draw me in. I really shouldn't have to wait until hours later to get to that creamy nugget of fun.

For this type of game, that is the price of admission. Things unlock as you play more of the game and the fun part of the sandbox is being able to play it in with everything open to you.

eXistor

I'm very much enjoying it so far, but damn, the audiomix is one of the worst I've heard. I can barely hear any effects, everything just lacks impact. I tried screwing around with the sound in the audio settings, but I can't get it to decent levels. Am I doing something wrong?

sephi22

This game is so good. Just got to 99% after 26 hours. All clusters now collected, and all challenges complete minus the alien vehicle one (that will take some time).

Nice. Could you give me some pointers on how to grind some of the 'get x kills with y' challenges?

Saints own 95% of my map, so grindings a pain because either there are no aliens around of the spaceships/tanks show up which make most of the weapons useless

For this type of game, that is the price of admission. Things unlock as you play more of the game and the fun part of the sandbox is being able to play it in with everything open to you.

I don't remember - didn't the first two games open up the city at the start but not involve the activities as missions? Regardless, they could have spiced it up a bit or changed the formula. You know, given us something besides activities for the first set of missions. But that's a matter of opinion.

My biggest problem is how glitchy the game is. I've falling through the floor countless times, crashes, blah blah blah.

On the bright side, it had some great effects, including some characters spazzing out inside a car (the limbs hanging out) and people driving invisible cars. It fits, almost.I know the game has those moments, but it's so constant besides the purposeful ones that it's hilarious most of the time.

Top Bottom