• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

Just finished. That sequel tease.

I hope that is actually what they want to do for a sequel because that would be fucking insane in the best way, and really the only place to go after aliens.

Loved the game. Not as enjoyably dumb as 3, but still delivered what I wanted. The powers were amazing.

Just wondering from you Console guys, how bad was the framerate during that final mission?

Not bad really. I played it on 360 and there were only a couple of instances where the framerate went pretty low and they didn't last long. The only issue I had with the game is that it liked to freeze in menus.

Vargas

I never really called homies to tag along in past Saints Row games, but I am doing it all the time just to hear what they say to each other. Really love all the call backs to previous games.

Ceebs

regarding that,
did you play as a male char or female char? I played as a female boss and during Asha's rescue I'm pretty sure they changed me to the same model that they used for Jane Austen

I played as a female boss, and I did not get a good look at the end, but that would be an amazing joke if that is the case.

After two days of searching, I finally found a solution to a strange bug that causes the game to get stuck on loading when you try to enter the office during the mission "The Girl Who Hates the 50s". Apparently, all I had to do was use guns instead of the Alien RPG I was using to rush through everything. Went from endless loading screen to no loading screen and finally allowed me to finished the game.

I never really called homies to tag along in past Saints Row games, but I am doing it all the time just to hear what they say to each other. Really love all the call backs to previous games.

Fuck, I didn't realize this was a thing. I find the difficulty more to my taste going solo (I say this as if half the fights aren't just Freeze > Stompable) and have been missing out.

Parham

Banned
I completed all of the quests and loyalty missions for Ben, CID, Pierce, and Matt, but I haven't gotten any of the Steam achievements for those yet. Am I missing something? I haven't used any cheats or had any problem unlocking the other achievements.

Edit: Same with the achievement for finding all of the audio logs. For one reason or another, I never got that one either.

I completed all of the quests and loyalty missions for Ben, CID, Pierce, and Matt, but I haven't gotten any of the Steam achievements for those yet. Am I missing something?

Edit: Same with the achievement for finding all of the audio logs.

Do you romance them?

3 more Audio Logs become available near the end of the game.

I completed all of the quests and loyalty missions for Ben, CID, Pierce, and Matt, but I haven't gotten any of the Steam achievements for those yet. Am I missing something? I haven't used any cheats or had any problem unlocking the other achievements.

Edit: Same with the achievement for finding all of the audio logs. For one reason or another, I never got that one either.

Have you fucked them yet?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

You didn't accidentally enable any cheats, did you?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Fuck, I didn't realize this was a thing. I find the difficulty more to my taste going solo (I say this as if half the fights aren't just Freeze > Stompable) and have been missing out.

Yeah, didn't really play the game with Homies, starting to group them in now in post game. Think everyone has some sort of dialogue with every other character. That's ALOT of combinations.

Some creative ones too. :lol
Put DJ Childs and Matt Miller in together :lol

GamerSoul

:/ game froze while I was upgrading my abilities. I just got stuck on the screen and couldn't back out. Hope it can get fixed in time.

And when I start my game I automatically get notoriety lol. Does that happen the further you are in the game?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
:/ game froze while I was upgrading my abilities. I just got stuck on the screen and couldn't back out. Hope it can get fixed in time.

And when I start my game I automatically get notoriety lol. Does that happen the further you are in the game?

Automatic notoriety is related to a certain section in the main game, if you look in your quest log, it will be shown in the details of the quest description.

Finished the game, last fight was a bit of a pain in the ass (really, really bullet spongey), but had some of the same highs of SR2 while almost completely making the side activities optional and trivializing the story like SR3 did. Not sure if I'd want a full-on craziness sequel, as even with the plot elements introduced near the end, I'm not sure I'd be able to go along with something cranked up past 13 on the wackiness scale.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned at all is that (at least to me), there's a weird disconnect that I experienced with the platforming rifts via difference in vertical/horizontal motion, and I can understand Jeff Gerstmann's statement on the recent bombcast about it being hard to precisely land on the 360.

Yeah, didn't really play the game with Homies, starting to group them in now in post game. Think everyone has some sort of dialogue with every other character. That's ALOT of combinations.

Some creative ones too. :lol
Put DJ Childs and Matt Miller in together :lol

Geez, that's awesome.

Heh, I just realized the white signs with red letters change to blue letters when you take over a territory, and change tone from confident to frightened.

GamerSoul

Automatic notoriety is related to a certain section in the main game, if you look in your quest log, it will be shown in the details of the quest description.

Thanks. Yep you're right. I must have not fully understood the writing in bright red. lol

This happened to me too. First it was someone else's audio log (I think Kinzie) then when I got a Keith David one, it was always that.

Same lol. I always get Keith's

I have a question which I think would have been obvious. But is there a super hero costume in this game that we can unlock? Like a cape and everything?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I have a question which I think would have been obvious. But is there a super hero costume in this game that we can unlock? Like a cape and everything?

I never saw any unlocked costumes, but there are the two (Steelport Hero/Heroine) in Let's Pretend (no capes on those, though), and Nobody loves me has the "Simsuit" that was shown in most of the preview images, it has a long cape-like upper section.

Don't remember seeing anything specifically hero-related at Planet Zin or Leather and Lace.

Other than that, there are a fair amount of long trench-coat style upper body pieces, it's what I used for some of the game.

On another note, I also had one of Keth David's last audio diaries play during the first loading screen every time. Thought it might have been intentional at first, but it kept playing all throughout the game, so probably a glitch of some kind.

Okay, my save file says I'm about 65% through the game, and the rescue + loyalty missions have gotten pretty ridiculous. The Shaundi ones were great, and I love all the callbacks to SR1 and SR2. I've already collected all the data clusters, destroyed all the statues, etc, etc. because jumping around never gets old.

Few complaints:

1. I hate that Genki M.O.M. activity where the gold is ~3 minutes and you have to go to like 4 different locations. I'm always a few seconds behind and a few targets short. I've heard the commentary so much that I can tell if I'm going too slow by what part of the conversations the announcers are on. It's torture.

2. The moments in the super power fight club where you're just being bombarded by stuff, or hit with laser swords and ragdolling around while precious seconds are ticking away are infuriating. Eff em.

3. After a relatively glitch free experience for ~19 hours, the game got stuck 3 times when I tried opening my map or quest log while an auto-save was happening. It didn't actually lock up as I could still pull up the PS3 XMB, and the game still saved, but it just didn't respond anymore.

It's mostly good times. I don't think it'll surpass SR2 for me unless this stretch of missions is super top notch but it feels about on par with SR3 so far. Maybe a slight edge over 3 because of the powers.

One thing I miss from SR2, though (which was also an issue in 3), is that the missions don't make good use of the city anymore. I feel like the missions in 2 were more involved, less sectioned off "zones", and more multi tiered. I guess it's just the nature of the super powers + simulation story framing, but there's no more passing a location and having fond memories of a big mission or set piece that took place there. The best example in 3 was probably storming the pool party with "Power" playing and the last few set of missions all the way at the end, but it wasn't much. More locations in SR2 had a story to them. Gave the game more character.

butts

As soon as I started the Asha loyalty missions, I've been constantly pursued by rival gangs with no way to lose them no matter where I go. Is that part of the story or did I hit a bug? Getting annoying, I cant go to any shops or switch weapons out of the storage without getting interrupted by constant enemies.

Okay, my save file says I'm about 65% through the game, and the rescue + loyalty missions have gotten pretty ridiculous. The Shaundi ones were great, and I love all the callbacks to SR1 and SR2. I've already collected all the data clusters, destroyed all the statues, etc, etc. because jumping around never gets old.

Few complaints:

1. I hate that Genki M.O.M. activity where the gold is ~3 minutes and you have to go to like 4 different locations. I'm always a few seconds behind and a few targets short. I've heard the commentary so much that I can tell if I'm going too slow by what part of the conversations the announcers are on. It's torture.

2. The moments in the super power fight club where you're just being bombarded by stuff, or hit with laser swords and ragdolling around while precious seconds are ticking away are infuriating. Eff em.

3. After a relatively glitch free experience for ~19 hours, the game got stuck 3 times when I tried opening my map or quest log while an auto-save was happening. It didn't actually lock up as I could still pull up the PS3 XMB, and the game still saved, but it just didn't respond anymore.

It's mostly good times. I don't think it'll surpass SR2 for me unless this stretch of missions is super top notch but it feels about on par with SR3 so far. Maybe a slight edge over 3 because of the powers.

One thing I miss from SR2, though (which was also an issue in 3), is that the missions don't make good use of the city anymore. I feel like the missions in 2 were more involved, less sectioned off "zones", and more multi tiered. I guess it's just the nature of the super powers + simulation story framing, but there's no more passing a location and having fond memories of a big mission or set piece that took place there. The best example in 3 was probably storming the pool party with "Power" playing and the last few set of missions all the way at the end, but it wasn't much. More locations in SR2 had a story to them. Gave the game more character.

for point 2: frost element buff = iwin mode in the fighting arenas, just run around and punch all the people who get autofrozen for a one shot kill.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
As soon as I started the Asha loyalty missions, I've been constantly pursued by rival gangs with no way to lose them no matter where I go. Is that part of the story or did I hit a bug? Getting annoying, I cant go to any shops or switch weapons out of the storage without getting interrupted by constant enemies.

If you haven't did the mission where you throw the gangs/default character custom characters from SR1/2 into the portal then that's your problem.

for point 2: frost element buff = iwin mode in the fighting arenas, just run around and punch all the people who get autofrozen for a one shot kill.

This works even in level 2 or 3 when the stronger enemies start appearing? Because FML if it does and I never thought of doing that. I was using the ice blast, but only in combination with the stomp or telekinesis, never the one hit punch.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This works even in level 2 or 3 when the stronger enemies start appearing? Because FML if it does and I never thought of doing that. I was using the ice blast, but only in combination with the stomp or telekinesis, never the one hit punch.

He means the buff, not the ice blast. Buff is the 4th power you get.

Some of your complaints are very much eliminated when you've gotten most of the upgrades.

He means the buff, not the ice blast. Buff is the 4th power you get.

Some of your complaints are very much eliminated when you've gotten most of the upgrades.

Huh. Okay then, I'll just leave those alone until I'm total God mode. Luckily they have the gold/silver/bronze system now so you don't necessarily need to gold the activity to advance.

Spent the better part of yesterday and the night playing this and I have to say it's pretty great but I disagree with anyone who makes comparisons to Crackdown.

This is basically a more fleshed out and more customisable version of Prototype. Everything about it reminds me of Proto. The wall running, the super sprint, the glide with added thrusting, charged jumped, pretty much everything about it feels like it was ripped wholesale from Prototype.

This isn't a bad thing, but it's certainly no Crackdown as some have suggested. The collecting of code (orbs) is also not as good as collecting orbs as after a couple of hours, you're pretty much powerful enough to reach even the most out of reach code and this means there's absolutely no challenge in collecting them as there is in Crackdown. The lack of any real platforming is also disappointing and it's solely due to how quickly you become overpowered.

Overall though, this is pretty great and I'm thoroughly enjoying it but it's not scratching the Crackdown itch. I think showing some more restraint in how you gain powers would have made the game a lot more enjoyable in the long run.

GamerSoul

I'm still just chilling and playing at my own pace, doing side missions and getting new toys lol. I can't help it.

random pics.

jonno394

Loving the game so far, my one complaint is that because some of the main missions are the side activities, and i've had loads of fun just exploring and messing around with activities, i've missed the introduction of a certain character whose voice just started playing over a mission and I was like "WTF?"

derFeef

Spent the better part of yesterday and the night playing this and I have to say it's pretty great but I disagree with anyone who makes comparisons to Crackdown.

This is basically a more fleshed out and more customisable version of Prototype. Everything about it reminds me of Proto. The wall running, the super sprint, the glide with added thrusting, charged jumped, pretty much everything about it feels like it was ripped wholesale from Prototype.

This isn't a bad thing, but it's certainly no Crackdown as some have suggested. The collecting of code (orbs) is also not as good as collecting orbs as after a couple of hours, you're pretty much powerful enough to reach even the most out of reach code and this means there's absolutely no challenge in collecting them as there is in Crackdown. The lack of any real platforming is also disappointing and it's solely due to how quickly you become overpowered.

Overall though, this is pretty great and I'm thoroughly enjoying it but it's not scratching the Crackdown itch. I think showing some more restraint in how you gain powers would have made the game a lot more enjoyable in the long run.

Nailed it :) I am thinking Prototype the whole thing through. But actually good Prototype with Saints Row story and hilarity on top of it. Greatly enjoying it, but again - no substitute for Crackdown in any form.

GamerSoul

Someone needs to make a brightness mod for this game. Christ it's dark.
It's been posted here a few times, I think. It's a mod for PC by IdolNinja to control the night/day cycle early on.
http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/ship-tod-controls-unlock-early.3206/

yea I don't get why there isn't daytime, kinda sucks really

The darkness does get a bit tiresome but it's meant as a ploy by Zinyak to further "break" your Boss character.

Nokterian

So i collected 300/1255 clusters,this is so addicting just like crackdown but yeah the powers feel like from Prototype. This game man very fun i couldn't stop laughing when
escaping zinyak his spaceship with "Haddaway - What is love" when the president said "Is there a radio here on board?" "Hey this is my jam!"

First thing i have been doing getting my super powers upgraded,my bonuses and other abilities. I have all ready become very powerfull but man this feels to good. Don't know how i would feel when playing other open world games after this. Just like Prototype/Crackdown,giving me those powers feels so mutch better going from not only from point A to B but also fighting etc etc.

Jintor

This is insane. I can't hack shit because I seem to generate noteriety like a mother without even doing anything. Is there a way to dismiss my homies? They seem to just attack everything I see. The noteriety orb isn't spawning either :(

GamerSoul

This is insane. I can't hack shit because I seem to generate noteriety like a mother without even doing anything. Is there a way to dismiss my homies? They seem to just attack everything I see. The noteriety orb isn't spawning either :(

It might be a primary quest you have to complete if they keep coming. I had the same issue and someone here pointed it out to me.

and you can dismiss your homies by holding down on the D-pad.

Jintor

It might be a primary quest you have to complete if they keep coming. I had the same issue and someone here pointed it out to me.

and you can dismiss your homies by holding down on the D-pad.

Yeah, figured it out.

That was real annoying for a while there

The powers slowly progressing like in Crackdown isn't comparable, but I still get that "Holy shit I'm super-powered" which was one of the best things about that game.

Also, how do I taunt/compliment? I'm pressing left and right on the dpad like SR3 but nothings happening.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The powers slowly progressing like in Crackdown isn't comparable, but I still get that "Holy shit I'm super-powered" which was one of the best things about that game.

Also, how do I taunt/compliment? I'm pressing left and right on the dpad like SR3 but nothings happening.

hold the button.

EvB

oh my lord, me and my chum clocked up 20 hours on this in just 2 sittings.

I have loved every minute of it, but we are dangerously close to 100%ing it!

Unfortunately the game seems to of glitched and hasn't awarded him some of the loyalty mission achievements, so we are hoping there is some kind of NG+ or mission select when we finish.

Gandie

PSA: LISTEN TO THE CLASSICAL RADIO STATION. ZENYAK READING CLASSIC WORKS OF LITERATURE SHOULD NOT BE MISSED,

Along with Jane Valderama, which makes it even better. :D

So do the Clusters respawn? I've nearly maxed out my Super Jump and Sprint before even tackling any story missions after
you get to the ship.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Along with Jane Valderama, which makes it even better. :D

So do the Clusters respawn? I've nearly maxed out my Super Jump and Sprint before even tackling any story missions after
you get to the ship.

No idea but don't think so (large sections of my city have no clusters because I've already collected them), I also managed to max sprint and jump out fairly early also but there's literally like a good thousand and you'll be thankful you collected them as they're all useful as long as you do the relevant side missions to get the alternate powers. I must have spent a good few hours exploring and collecting clusters because they and even I've run out and need to collect more to be able to max out more abilities. Some do require abilities you get from later missions to access though. So there's more available than what your able to get at the beginning.

Top Bottom