• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

EvB

Along with Jane Valderama, which makes it even better. :D

So do the Clusters respawn? I've nearly maxed out my Super Jump and Sprint before even tackling any story missions after
you get to the ship.

Nay they don't respawn, but there are certain ones you can only get with certain abilities you acquire later in the game

Jintor

Man, just after you grab Pierce, King and Asha.
Gat's rescue mission was amazing. I was not expecting that at all.

Gvaz

Banned
I completed all of the quests and loyalty missions for Ben, CID, Pierce, and Matt, but I haven't gotten any of the Steam achievements for those yet. Am I missing something? I haven't used any cheats or had any problem unlocking the other achievements.

Edit: Same with the achievement for finding all of the audio logs. For one reason or another, I never got that one either.

Sometimes the steam achievements for this don't work and you have to quit and restart.

If that doesn't work when you retry, use SAM and give yourself the cheeves anyways.

HigXx

"One shall stand, one shall fall."
"Why throw away your life so recklessly, Saint?"
"That's a question you should ask yourself."

Hearing that while The Touch was playing was absolutely fantastic, My inner Transfan was squealing with excitement.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
GOTY

9589516307_15e5fbe0fc_o.png

Protome

Is anyone else playing with the Nolan North voice? I'm loving it myself. He has the singing voice of an angel.

Have to say, the game is absolutely fantastic all around. The only complaint I have with it is how notoriety is handled. In open world games I enjoy getting the police/gangs after me, maxing on notoriety and just fighting/surviving. Can't really do that in this game because all the aliens vanish when the Warden shows up, and of course killing him resets your notoriety.

And here's a random pic.

1024x640.resizedimage

That Asha rescue mission DAMN!
I couldnt stop laughing at the
LIVE SNAKES HANDLE WITH CARE in the box you use lol

What a disappointment. Why again is this game trying to be serious? I miss Saints Row The Third :(

Nope. Not a single laugh has left my pouty lips. The beginning of The Third was more ridiculous/fun/over the top than everything I have played of IV so far.

Sorry but you have to be fucking kidding me.

Is anyone else playing with the Nolan North voice? I'm loving it myself. He has the singing voice of an angel.

Have to say, the game is absolutely fantastic all around. The only complaint I have with it is how notoriety is handled. In open world games I enjoy getting the police/gangs after me, maxing on notoriety and just fighting/surviving. Can't really do that in this game because all the aliens vanish when the Warden shows up, and of course killing him resets your notoriety.

And here's a random pic.

1024x640.resizedimage
In the Third you could create a good Matt, In IV you can create a perfect Eccleston and Tennant lol

george_us

Welp I just beat the
Johnny Gat rescue mission
and I take back most of the bad things about this game. I can't remember the last time I was crying laughing for a half hour straight. Most of the recruitment missions and loyalty missions have been nothing short of hysterical and have completely turned me around on the game.

I think SR3 had a better couple of first hours but SRIV seems to have better missions overall. From the 5 hour mark on I've been laughing not stop and having a ton of fun.

TheMan

really fun game. I beat it today with about 60% or so complete, and I have to say it was a good way to unwind after taking an exam on friday morning. Loved the transformers references...I was super excited to heard the touch on the radio for the first time. actually, i'm surprised that song never became a bigger hit in its own right.

Gustav

Banned
Then the jokes are going over your head.

There is big stretches of straight up no jokes.
Where is the joke in romancing Shaundi? Romancing
Johnny
?

It just goes into poorly written sentimental hogwash. The Aliens are the worst though. Besides a posh voice and accent, nothing they say or do is ever funny. Plus the game suffers from either lower budget or less time than the last. Less radio, less Genki awesomeness. The spaceship really takes the cake. I doesn't even remotely compare to the crib in the last one.

Sorian

Banned
There is big stretches of straight up no jokes.
Where is the joke in romancing Shaundi? Romancing
Johnny
?

It just goes into poorly written sentimental hogwash. The Aliens are the worst though. Besides a posh voice and accent, nothing they say or do is ever funny. Plus the game suffers from either lower budget or less time than the last. Less radio, less Genki awesomeness. The spaceship really takes the cake. I doesn't even remotely compare to the crib in the last one.

So the satirical jab at mass effect with the spaceship and the romances are going over your head.

Edit: Plus, you've obviously gotten the person in your spoiler tag. You didn't laugh at all during his/her recruitment mission?

Gustav

Banned
So the satirical jab at mass effect with the spaceship and the romances are going over your head.

Edit: Plus, you've obviously gotten the person in your spoiler tag. You didn't laugh at all during his/her recruitment mission?

The jab at Mass Effect is funny once. And even then, it's not haha funny. The conversations I was referring to themselves are at least half serious and just 100% bad.

Why should I laugh during
Johnny's
mission? It was a nice touch, but again, there was no joke. Just a reference.

Amazingly fun game, had a big ass smile through a bunch of missions. Sucks there weren't that many cutscenes and quality missions besides story ones. Volition knocked it outta the park with superpowers, super sprint and jump was amazing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The jab at Mass Effect is funny once. And even then, it's not haha funny. The conversations I was referring to themselves are at least half serious and just 100% bad.

Johnny's

Unless you're really enjoying the gameplay you should probably stop playing then. Either jokes are going over your head, or you just don't find this type of game funny and that's the brunt of the appeal for it.

Jokes and references don't have to be mutually exclusive. There were jokes there that were ALSO references.

I mean, every game can't be for everyone. Too bad you haven't been enjoying it.

Sorian

Banned

Johnny's

Christ, I went over this earlier in the thread but this game is so much better than the third because this one is being more subtle with its humor as opposed to the last one where all the humor was smacking you in the face. I'm sorry that all of this is flying over your head but this game would have suffered immensely if they had just made a carbon copy of three with more obvious sex jokes.

Gustav

Banned
Christ, I went over this earlier in the thread but this game is so much better than the third because this one is being more subtle with its humor as opposed to the last one where all the humor was smacking you in the face. I'm sorry that all of this is flying over your head but this game would have suffered immensely if they had just made a carbon copy of three with more obvious sex jokes.

No, it would have been better if it was funny. Like the third one. See how opinions work?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Saints Row IV is going for a different style of humor that requires some attention to catch all of
during the Asha mission, I swear there was a joke about THQ thrown in there but I can't remember it for the life of me
whereas Saints Row: The Third fired on all cylinders. There are jokes and they are laugh out loud funny, if you're into that particular brand of humor.

Gustav is not in the wrong, his opinion is that the humor here just doesn't suit him.

Sorian

Banned
No, it would have been better if it was funny. Like the third one. See how opinions work?

I do, you know whats really awesome about opinions? I get to play SRIV and have a blast while laughing my ass off and you get to pout about it. Better luck for SRV?

Gustav is not in the wrong, his opinion is that the humor here just doesn't suit him.

The humor can not suit him and thats fine but when he says that this game is being too serious? Get out of here with that BS.

Herla

Who the hell thought the red/yellow ball-launching-activity-thing was a good idea? God damn that last part is terrible.

The Aliens are the worst though. Besides a posh voice and accent, nothing they say or do is ever funny.

They're played as straight because they're evil aliens... It works well because there are some really funny moments from the play between straight Zinyak and the fool Saints.
Zinyak quoting MacBeth and The Boss thinking he's reciting his high-school poetry was hilarious and then they actually have a callback to it later. On top of that when Zinyak does break character and starts singing Biz Markie it's amazing and it wouldn't have been if he was a clown all along.

Gustav

Banned
I do, you know whats really awesome about opinions? I get to play SRIV and have a blast while laughing my ass off and you get to pout about it. Better luck for SRV?

The humor can not suit him and thats fine but when he says that this game is being too serious? Get out of here with that BS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQfBjKYmFc

Okay, please explain to me. I get the reference to dating shows like "I love New York", I get that the Puerto Rican Thunder God line could be funny to somebody, I guess.

But everything else feels like serious talk. No puns, no jokes. I mean, you could argue that it's supposed to be an in-joke about how video game stories suck, but then you should make it so bad it's good again. Performance and writing (besides the dating show excursion) could be from a random game with romancing options. I fail to see the joke, the cleverness, or anything. It's just like a dialog from Mass Effect. Which is not funny, just sad.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Okay, please explain to me. I get the reference to dating shows like "I love New York", I get that the Puerto Rican Thunder God line could be funny to somebody, I guess.

But everything else feels like serious talk. No puns, no jokes. I mean, you could argue that it's supposed to be an in-joke about how video game stories suck, but then you should make it so bad it's good again. Performance and writing (besides the dating show excursion) could be from a random game with romancing options. I fail to see the joke, the cleverness, or anything. It's just like a dialog from Mass Effect. Which is not funny, just sad.

Conversly,
"I'm looking for rough sex and Kinzie scares the shit out of me"
for Asha's romance. One semi-serious toned romance does not neglect the brazen and hilariously shallow approaches of all of the others. I feel like there's nothing someone who does enjoy the jokes could explain to you about them to make you laugh at them. It's a taste thing and that is entirely subjective.

Gustav

Banned
Conversly,
"I'm looking for rough sex and Kinzie scares the shit out of me"
for Asha's romance. One semi-serious toned romance does not neglect the brazen and hilariously shallow approaches of all of the others. I feel like there's nothing someone who does enjoy the jokes could explain to you about them to make you laugh at them. It's a taste thing and that is entirely subjective.

The spoiler was a great line, though. Same as "a thousand Kinzies?". Loved that bit.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody else is having issues with the rumble when playing with a 360 pad on PC?

Almost everytime I start shooting full clips of the Assault Rifle the rumble will get stuck on even after I stop shooting. The only way to get it to stop is to unplug and replug my 360 controller. I have to do that almost everytime and it's getting really annoying.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I fail to see the joke, the cleverness, or anything. It's just like a dialog from Mass Effect. Which is not funny, just sad.

That IS the joke for that particular bit. A lot of what is in the game being portrayed as "serious" really isn't, it's silly parody/satire. As mentioned earlier, this sort of humor probably just isn't for you. For me, all the meta-humor is hilarious.

Who the hell thought the red/yellow ball-launching-activity-thing was a good idea? God damn that last part is terrible.

Yeah took me a while to realize that every ball you throw gets bounced back at you, the FOV is probably the biggest issue with it, as is not really being able to tell the range at which your TK ability will catch the balls. Only advice I can give is go slow and don't toss too many balls at a time since the Rift isn't time. Actually tbh, of all the activities I Rift ones were the worst

Sorian

Banned

As someone has already said, we can't explain humor to you. If you don't get it then you don't get it. With that being said, not every little thing in the game has to be a joke. It didn't say press X to laugh, it said press X to romance shaundi and thats what happened. The joke you are supposed to take away from the whole romance system is the jab that they are making at romance options in other games (specifically bioware games) where it comes down to talking to the person a couple times and then hitting the right button to have sex. You are looking for the obvious in your face jokes and, thankfully, those were toned back in favor of meta and subtle jokes.

IISANDERII

I put it on Hardcore shortly into the game. I'm liking it more.

Also, sure glad PC gaming hasn't spoiled me because I think it's fine on PS3.
#ignoranceisbliss

Top Bottom