• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

Has anyone had the bug where the loading screen hangs forever in
The Girl Who Hates The 50s?

Yes. It's pretty common, from what I've seen trying to look for a way to get past it. What worked for me and some other people I've found on the internet is not using any explosive weapons in the lead up to the office. If you already weren't, using them, then you may have to wait for a patch.

Accidental double post. Apologies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I don't care that it's weak as hell but I love using the dubstep gun.

Loved Saints 3, but I'm not sure about 4 yet. Granted I'm early in the game, but the completionist in me won't let me move on in the game (I'm just looking for clusters). The superhero powers are great, but it feels like I'm not part of a breathable world (i.e. stealing cars, interacting with npc's, etc.) . Feels like how the Crackdown world felt. Does it get better?
That opening was great btw.

Personally, the only times I didn't want to use 'Merica was went I wanted to save ammo, listen to the in-game radio, or because it felt like it was making an already easy game a bit too easy. That and the Alien RPG carried me through the game, especially once I hit 50.

I think I just encounter a pretty shitty bug.
I escaped from the alien ship that I had set those explosives on. It felt like the game skipped a bunch of scenes because all of a sudden I was back on the ship with a quest to talk to Miller. Miller just gave his generic sidequest talk, and now I have a quest to stop Keith David. Apparently he betrayed me or something, but I didn't get to see it.
So what did I miss?

Loved Saints 3, but I'm not sure about 4 yet. Granted I'm early in the game, but the completionist in me won't let me move on in the game (I'm just looking for clusters). The superhero powers are great, but it feels like I'm not part of a breathable world (i.e. stealing cars, interacting with npc's, etc.) . Feels like how the Crackdown world felt. Does it get better?
That opening was great btw.

It never improves in that sense. Once you add ridiculous jumping and gliding to the game, there's an inherent detachment from the civilians and game world in general that comes with it. Even Rockstar, who are amazing at creating a sense of place would have a hard time keeping that connection in a game like this. Add the "simulation" narrative on top of it, and the world is almost immediately turned into a faceless sandbox to which it's very hard to become attached to. You're better off buying into the narrative and not trying to think of this Steelport as a real place.

Jintor

Anyone else really irritated by the weapon select wheel on PC? Seems really counter intuitive.

The worst is that it pauses if you scroll with the mousewheel but it DOESN'T pause if you use the number keys and it STILL COVERS THE ENTIRE SCREEN. What the fuck.

Alec

That will soon vanish as you will notice that there is no skill involved with no actual platforming when travelling through the city. Without grapple it's a totally different story.

Being able to glide through the city (not being forced to jump from rooftop to rooftop) is one of the many improvements this game has over Crackdown, IMO. "Skill" is not a word I associate with either game, however. I booted up Crackdown for a little while yesterday just to compare (hadn't turn it on since 2007) and SRIV has the advantage of learning from the mistakes of every superhero sandbox game made before it, where as Crackdown was pretty much trailblazing. I think it's sort of like comparing Mega Man to Mega Man X, and in many ways it isn't a fair comparison in either direction.

Beat the game with all missions complete and all collectibles found at 20 hours. Only thing left is to clean up on some of the alien-kill trophies and get some gold medals on the challenges. I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to have to end up idling for 10 hours to get the 40 hour trophy\Platinum.

Was anyone else surprised by the level of character development in this game? Each character's story was actually pretty meaningful. Lol'ed at the final
Jane Austen
joke. Also,
Dat Kinzie dance.

Denzar

Man, that opening. The moment the soundtrack kicked in, I was in tears. Looks like they upped the humour even more in this one.

Fitz

The worst is that it pauses if you scroll with the mousewheel but it DOESN'T pause if you use the number keys and it STILL COVERS THE ENTIRE SCREEN. What the fuck.

Loving the game in general, but this is a joke. Hopefully this can be fixed with a mod, either now or when the SDK is released.

Bombless

As in with mouse and keyboard? I played with a 360 pad and nothing struck me as particularly heinous.

No, as in the game pauses every time you change weapons. In SR3 you changed weapons on the fly. Terrible design after they went out of their way to allow you to switch powers as fluid as possible. Weapons though? NOPE!

This.

tw1164

Does anyone have so tips for the void races(?), the ones where you have to collect the blue/purples orbs? I can't get gold on even the easy one.

ultron87

Is there a way to get (Shaundi loyalty mission spoiler)
unlimited power use all the time like you get in the Shaundis loyalty mission? Being able to spam blasts vs Veteran Child was awesome.

Fitz

Does anyone have so tips for the void races(?), the ones where you have to collect the blue/purples orbs? I can't get gold on even the easy one.

Try and use your boost when there is a lot of those barriers coming up and then run through as many as you can to keep it going.

The < Assert > has hidden hydraulics.

It's locked, but you can purchase them by going to Rim Jobs and doing the customization trick (entering the shop with an ordinary vehicle, selecting your garage, highlighting a non-customizable vehicle, then canceling.) It's under body mods.

So far the Assert is the only vehicle I've found with working hydraulics. I've tried the alien tank, but it doesn't even show up in the vehicle list.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Got all the clusters to wrap up the collectibles after wrapping up the main story, now at 90%.

Thankfully only ran into one crash in 20 hours of gameplay. Other than running into the freefall bug and the audio issue once or twice, it's been a pretty solid experience so far.

GOTY so far for me.

Damn shame there's no menu to replay missions. Dat muthafuckin J
OHNNY GAT RESCUE MISSION
! I was so pleased that my customized character was fully translated in that mission. Had to reload my save and run it again with a different outfit on, just for kicks.

You're probably doing it wrong, because it's one of the easier activities. Collect as many orbs as you can, burst when your gauge is between 50-100% and knock out as many of the barriers as you can during that time. When they are red, avoid at all costs...when you burst, they turn blue and grant you lots of points. Orbs also count for 2x points when you're bursting.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That FOV fix mod murders my frame rate, unplayable with it enabled. :/
I can see why the FOV is set to what it is at by default now.
Have a rock solid fps at 1080 otherwise with everything on High.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
They want me to fly around in an alien craft for the last challenge on my list? Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put that in there? I flew for a grand total of 50K feet before I got my super powers and never used another vehicle again if it wasn't part of a quest.

Ugh.

Switch to casual.

It's cheap, but if you're having a difficult time completing an activity, switching to a lower difficulty makes it way easier.

They want me to fly around in an alien craft for the last challenge on my list? Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put that in there? I flew for a grand total of 50K feet before I got my super powers and never used another vehicle again if it wasn't part of a quest.

Ugh.

Grab a < Void >, fly out over the ocean, and rig your controller so you just fly in circles (I wrapped an elastic band around the analog stick). Make sure you set it up so you don't crash into the ocean or go out of bounds. Then just go watch a movie or something.

Ugh.

I ended up hanging my controller off the edge of something to put me into a circular spin, and just left it running overnight. And yeah, pretty stupid to include a challenge that involves vehicles in any way, when there is absolutely no reason to ever use a vehicle again after the first few missions.

You know, I just noticed late into my first playthrough that they actually have cinematic camera angles for when you jack somebody out of a car. I feel bad for whoever coded that, because I almost never even saw it due to always using the running carjack during the start of the game, and flying everywhere for the rest.

Jamie OD

So...spoiler for the second or third-last mission:
When you take down the simulation and it crashes to the SR1 main menu, you get a bunch of warning messages in the "console" first. One of them says something to the effect of "DEADISLAND_MEETS_SAINTSROW_2015". Anyone notice that? If that's an actual thing...whoa.

EDIT: Pardon me if this has been discussed to death already.

I noticed it too but thought it was just a joke easter egg. We'll see what happens in the future, I guess.

tw1164

You're probably doing it wrong, because it's one of the easier activities. Collect as many orbs as you can, burst when your gauge is between 50-100% and knock out as many of the barriers as you can during that time. When they are red, avoid at all costs...when you burst, they turn blue and grant you lots of points. Orbs also count for 2x points when you're bursting.

Holy shit! I was doing the exact opposite. I thought you had to always avoid them.

Switch to casual.

It's cheap, but if you're having a difficult time completing an activity, switching to a lower difficulty makes it way easier.

No, it wasn't the game. I was just being stupid.

Nowise10

Ugh.

That took me like 5 hours of nonstop flying in the UFO to get that one. It is a pretty lame challenge. 2.5 million whatever they use to measure in the game is way too much.

jonno394

Im loving the game and i'm apparently at 49% completion but I can't help but think "where are the missions" everything i've been doing so far have just been "go hack this store" or "go do this activity" am I looking back with rose tinted specs or did SR3 do the same thing?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm waiting for the complete edition(come soon! XD) with all the patches and dlcs or at least a good deal.
She will be my future president(with Laura Bailey's voice) <3
lkjh.jpg

While messing around with other "non-customizable" vehicles, I noticed you can give the Sad Panda an Ace of Spades Skull eyepatch, or a monocle.

I can't remember if those mods were available for the SR3 version.

I know there's more options for the Wraith cyber car. You can make it look like a normal Attrazione if you want.

The wireframe Phantom can be modded to look more like the lightcycle from Tron by removing the grid decal.

There's some other hidden gems too. Like the Atlasbreaker having Maero decals.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Grab a < Void >, fly out over the ocean, and rig your controller so you just fly in circles (I wrapped an elastic band around the analog stick). Make sure you set it up so you don't crash into the ocean or go out of bounds. Then just go watch a movie or something.

I ended up hanging my controller off the edge of something to put me into a circular spin, and just left it running overnight. And yeah, pretty stupid to include a challenge that involves vehicles in any way, when there is absolutely no reason to ever use a vehicle again after the first few missions.

That took me like 5 hours of nonstop flying in the UFO to get that one. It is a pretty lame challenge. 2.5 million whatever they use to measure in the game is way too much.

I'll probably wind up grinding it out when I'm watching a twitch stream or Giant Bomb's Unprofessional Friday's or something and I'm not doing anything else at the time.

Any advice for the mayhem activity with black hole gun? I can hardly get bronze for some reason.

You could wait until you unlock it in the story and upgrade it. The rate of fire is increased substantially.

Or you could switch to casual.

I did it on normal as soon as it became available just by keeping a high multiplier, and never staying in one spot.

On some of the activities I would purposely lose my multiplier close to the end and start fresh when there's only a few seconds left. As long as you have a combo going, you can still rack up points after the timer has expired.

You could wait until you unlock it in the story and upgrade it. The rate of fire is increased substantially.

Or you could switch to casual.

Yeah, I had real trouble with this the first time because I tried to get a Gold super-early. But if you hold off on this one until A) you have the cash to upgrade the black hole gun and B) upgrade your super sprint to add the tornado ability that fucks shit up behind you as you sprint, it's a lot easier.

Top Bottom