• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

I wanna get into this series. Should I pick up all 4 or just 3/4, the latter being the best games in the series.

SR1 is rough around the edges and has some dumb AI I say it's a skippable game but you can still get some enjoyment out of it.

SR2 is a must to play. There arn't that many references to SR1 in this game, mostly it's peripheral characters that return.

SR3 can be enjoyed without playing any of the previous entries.

SR4 has a lot of references to SR1 and 2. If you go into this game without knowledge of the back-story these references will fall flat.

If I were you I and if you have a 360 I would try to get the SR1/2 double pack– that's how I got into this series. Play SR1 for a bit and if you're not feeling it read the wiki for the story if you want and play SR2 instead. Then get SR3/4 on PC if you can.

jediyoshi

Big ol 633mb patch up

I wanna get into this series. Should I pick up all 4 or just 3/4, the latter being the best games in the series.

If you have the time, I'd definitely start at 2 and work my way up through it. There's a pretty wild number of callbacks that won't mean a thing without it.

Sober

Found this on Steam:

A Saints Row IV update has been released:

[BUGS]

- The continue option no longer appears on the main menu if the only save data present is another user’s
- Fix for a hang that would occur if the user is shot in the Friendly Fire interface
- Fix for an animation issue from falling from a super jump and hitting a ledge while doing a midair recovery
- Fix for a crash if the player performs two max-height nuke DFAs back to back.
- Fix for a crash for the client if the host exits a mission while the client is mid-save.
- Fix for a stats mismatch between ‘total time played’ on the save file and the stats page.

[UPDATES]

- Added future DLC compatibility

HT UK

Finished the game last night. Really enjoyed it. So many of the story missions and all the loyalty missions were brilliant. Bring on the DLC!

Savitar

WARNING

The new patch is broken, do not save if downloaded, it will screw up your weapons and other things.

Wait until a fix.

Cronen

The only thing that I can see that it does is duplicate some of your weapons in your Gateway. Eg, I have 3 or 4 SMGs in my armory now.

soaked in this a bit after beating it. still think its one of the more 'fun' games around. Definitely feels more like a 7 though. they put all these ideas and gameplay systems, but there is zero synergy. Many of the missions take away your powers. Many of the cool power elements and what not are locked away behind you having to do all these awful side thingies.

theres not even a freaking cape accessory!

Fitz

theres not even a freaking cape accessory!

It's for your own good.

2094378-watchmendollarlarge.jpg

Capes would be cool.

I feel stupid, I got the impression you could fly in game.
it would have been a nice change too ( since most games don't let you fly)

So it basically it is just prototype in SR... great.
Disappointing.

well there are climbing 'puzzles' so it kinda would break that.

It is lame though, you'd think flight would be required for a matrix parody.

As a person who did not like SR3, SR4 is a breath of fresh air. My biggest beef with 3 was that the cutscene direction didn't seem on par with 1 or 2 and the game felt like an 8 hour tutorial (all missions were just variations of activities)

SR4 has so much fan service that its almost ridiculous. Everything from
retconing Johnny Gat's death
to
going back to Stillwater and the church where the Saints began
. Its a treat for people like me who loved the first two games in the series with the improved mechanics of SR3.

I feel stupid, I got the impression you could fly in game.
it would have been a nice change too ( since most games don't let you fly)

So it basically it is just prototype in SR... great.
Disappointing.

A fully upgraded glide is still pretty awesome. I find it better than flying since it forces you to use the ground and buildings a bit. You can glide for over 700 feet with a fully upgraded glide.

An-Det

I've got a glitch where I've unlocked the
Disintegrator and the Energy Sword
weapons (maybe others, not sure), but they dont show up in my inventory, and sometimes at Friendly Fire I'm seeing duplicates of some of my weapons (like multiple dubstep guns). Is this a known but? I wanted to mess around with these, is there a mod to add them back in?

Savitar

I've got a glitch where I've unlocked the
Disintegrator and the Energy Sword
weapons (maybe others, not sure), but they dont show up in my inventory, and sometimes at Friendly Fire I'm seeing duplicates of some of my weapons (like multiple dubstep guns). Is this a known but? I wanted to mess around with these, is there a mod to add them back in?

That's due to the patch which has a few issues with it.

Basically if you saved since it came out, you may be screwed.

Best wait for a fix and pray.

Terra_Ex

SR1 is rough around the edges and has some dumb AI I say it's a skippable game but you can still get some enjoyment out of it.

SR2 is a must to play. There arn't that many references to SR1 in this game, mostly it's peripheral characters that return.

SR3 can be enjoyed without playing any of the previous entries.

SR4 has a lot of references to SR1 and 2. If you go into this game without knowledge of the back-story these references will fall flat.

If I were you I and if you have a 360 I would try to get the SR1/2 double pack– that's how I got into this series. Play SR1 for a bit and if you're not feeling it read the wiki for the story if you want and play SR2 instead. Then get SR3/4 on PC if you can.

This is good advice, I'd definitely say SR1 is worth at least one playthrough for the story but I can see it being difficult to go back to after SR2 and beyond.

Finished it late last night, just in time to return it to a work buddy.Overall an enjoyable game and heavily propped up for long time fans by the many references and throwbacks to the first two games. Voice talent was great across the board, Laura Bailey did a fantastic job as the boss once again, as expected.
I was hoping all the way through that Zinyak was going to throw all/most of the old gangs from the previous two games into the simulation to fight it out gang warfare style, sadly that only happened in one mission and the rest of the time it was just Saints vs Zin, which was disappointing and I think Volition missed a trick there. I'd have preferred several gangs from previous games going up against both the Saints and Zin simultaneously, all competing for territory in the simulation, as it is the Saints (or rather the boss) took control over the whole thing without even trying (a few activities in and I noticed I now owned over half the simulation).

As ridiculous as 4's plot is it somehow managed to fix most of what was wrong plot wise with 3, Zinyak is a competent and entertaining antagonist with an actual presence felt throughout the game (his inclusion in the radio was a stroke of brilliance), in stark contrast to the poor excuses for antagonists we got in SR3. While I have mixed feelings on where the series has ended up, if this is to be the Boss's last outing, I'm fairly happy with where it ended (but sad to see them go), it was nice seeing their transition from borderline-psychotic in SR2 through to the more mellow character of 4. I also greatly appreciated the audio logs & conversations between homies fleshing some of the reasoning behind the events of the past games - Julius logs and discussions in particular were great, as were the reappearances of Maero, Jyunichi, Tanya etc.

Other gripes - crashes: I had several during the final mission and at several other points during sandbox gameplay. Only one conversation between homies: that got annoying having to listen to Gat & Shaundi's heart to heart everytime you summoned them.
Overall though, some great moments and the game really seemed like a celebration of the core Saints gang up till this point. Looking forward to future games in the series, reboot or otherwise, which I hope will dial things back a bit to more manageable levels and don't box themselves into a corner trying to one-up the previous games ridiculousness. All these references have made me want to replay the first two games again.

An-Det

That's due to the patch which has a few issues with it.

Basically if you saved since it came out, you may be screwed.

Best wait for a fix and pray.

Ah, thanks. I saw Volition's tweet about problems due to their overnight patch but I didn't make that connect. Here's hoping I'm not screwed.

Well I finished the game. Aside from the sprinting, the jumping, the gliding and the powers everything else was disappointing. Especially the activities, which were unfun and grindy, but frankly the missions, the story and the dialogue weren't great either.

I think I'm done with Saints Row, which is probably fine because I don't really see where they can go from here. In a perfect world they'd look back at Saints Row 2 and go back to that style of game (a little more serious but still silly where it counted) and how great that city was for exploring, but I don't think they can or are willing.

Credit where credit is due though, there was one cool part of the game. The
Johnny Gat side scroller beat em up
was pretty incredible.

Well I finished the game. Aside from the sprinting, the jumping, the gliding and the powers everything else was disappointing. Especially the activities, which were unfun and grindy, but frankly the missions, the story and the dialogue weren't great either.

I think I'm done with Saints Row, which is probably fine because I don't really see where they can go from here. In a perfect world they'd look back at Saints Row 2 and go back to that style of game (a little more serious but still silly where it counted) and how great that city was for exploring, but I don't think they can or are willing.

Hmm, I thought nearly every mission was awesome. You even didn't like the loyalty missions/rescue missions? I thought the dialogue was the best in the series. To each their own of course.

Hmm, I thought nearly every mission was awesome. You even didn't like the loyalty missions/rescue missions? I thought the dialogue was the best in the series. To each their own of course.
Yeah not really.

Actually I did like
old Shaundi
coming back even if felt like pandering a bit.

Xyrmellon

I clearly remember being taught the fire power, but it's not on my d-pad and not listed in my upgradeable powers. Is this a bug or did I miss something?

Marleyman

Banned

Credit where credit is due though, there was one cool part of the game. The
Johnny Gat side scroller beat em up
was pretty incredible.

I haven't finished yet but I feel you about the return to a semi-grounded open world title.

Can we talk about the Mind Over Matter activities, though? Trying to gold the last one is basically impossible for me. After doing it countless times I managed to get within NINE SECONDS and I just couldn't push any more.

Just barely managed to gold that after about twenty attempts. The Genki head ones were usually the trickiest, so I did those first. If there's more than one target, go for the lowest one first, and then immediately pull it back in and fling it towards the other one. Other than that, it might be a good idea to wait until you've upgraded the movement powers all the way, to make the transit time between locations as quick as possible.

Man, did that announcer banter get annoying after about the 10th time, though...

Top Bottom