• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

Saprol

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that wants to get the dildo bat early. You can get it in a much later story mission, but I found a way to get it a lot earlier on.
Oh good. I had just gotten past that mission yesterday before the patch and it didn't save the weapon for me.

Does anyones stats page mission complete number differ from what's listed on the save file? My stats page says 14 out of 37 completed but my save file shows 19 missions complete.

Yeah, I've completed all loyalty missions but my stat page says i've only completed 5 of 7.

I reviewed Saints Row IV for Save/Continue, giving it an 8/10.

It's a little hard and a little unstable, but other than that, it's a brilliant open-world and a fitting game for the twilight period of this generation.

Yeah, I've completed all loyalty missions but my stat page says i've only completed 5 of 7.

This happened to me too, although the number shot up as soon as I finished the main story. You shouldn't have to worry about not getting the trophy/achievement as long as you haven't missed any loyalty missions, as I got it even with my glitched number.

What I want to know is whether Australian players (or, uh...non-importers, I guess) can get the achievement, as Shaundi's loyalty mission is locked from them.

OMG Robbaz killed it.

ibfkY4Ti0rh1c.gif

Ploid 3.0

I like the super saint's uniforms, makes me wish the player had one. Their's have a nicer quality, like Asha's clear scarf thing.

NotLiquid

I was a bit worried starting the game that it coming off of Saints Row 3 it would feel like it's too much of the same, but for some reason that really doesn't happen here. It feels like Volition has made a game where returning to Steelport feels almost nostalgic to me somehow. Granted, Saints Row 3 was my first exposure to Saints Row in general. Maybe it's the brand new twists they've added to freshen it up a bit.

It feels a lot like the game they were hoping to make back then. I'm going to assume that back then there was a bit of a transitional identity crisis, including the fact that the game was effectively rushed and crippled with DLC. That feels different this time around, it feels like the game finally established an identity it wants to run with and despite being fucking crazy it still feels a lot more justified in an anarchic sense than it's predecessor.

The power ups also freshen up the game incredibly. They feel fun to use and like they belong in this particular series. It feels a fuckton like they cut out the best parts from Prototype, and I'm happy they did as this is the kind of game where awesome powers like these belong in - where the game knows you're in it to have some fucking fun, not chasing a broody and edgy backstory.

It really feels like this is turning into my favorite open world game of all time, and that it'll keep that position for quite some time to come. It's taking Saints Row 3 and making it a lot more fun and solid as a package, doing just enough to justify it's existence as a sequel. Few games offer this much opportunity of having fun.

EDIT: Oh yeah and the Wub Wub Edition is fucking awesome. The dubstep items had me laughing and are pretty fun memorabilia. The button is easily going to be one of my favorite party items.

Savitar

Fix is up for the weapons! Go download and enjoy again, the patch notes behind the spoiler.

- Fixed a patch issue in the save system where weapon data was corrupted. Examples of the data corruption includes duplicated weapons or missing weapons.

[UPDATES]

- Most weapons lost due to the previous patch will be restored. This includes weapons rewarded due to game progress, promotional weapons, and DLC pack weapons. In addition, all weapons purchased from Friendly Fire or picked up from enemies that were upgraded, customized, or equipped will be restored.

- Certain players will no longer be in possession of weapons purchased from Friendly Fire or picked up from enemies if those weapons were not upgraded, customized, or equipped. Any missing weapons can be re-acquired from the Friendly Fire store or enemies. Potentially affected weapons:

Baseball Bat (purchased from Friendly Fire)
Stun Gun (purchased from Friendly Fire)
Heavy Pistol (purchased from Friendly Fire)
Quickshot Pistol (purchased from Friendly Fire)
Heavy SMG (purchased from Friendly Fire)
Rapid-Fire SMG (purchased from Friendly Fire)
Pump-Action Shotgun (purchased from Friendly Fire)
Thumpgun (purchased from Friendly Fire)
Automatic Rifle (purchased from Friendly Fire)
RPG (purchased from Friendly Fire)
Sniper Rifle (purchased from Friendly Fire)
Burst Rifle (purchased from Friendly Fire, picked up from Cops)
Alien RPG (purchased from Friendly Fire, picked up from Aliens)
Alien Pistol (picked up from Aliens)
Alien SMG (picked up from Aliens)
Alien Rifle (picked up from Aliens)

- The Volition and Deep Silver teams would like to extend our most sincere apologies for the recent patch error. We are looking into future ways to thank everyone for their patience and understanding.

About 6 hours or so in and only gone the first 5 missions or so. But god damn this game is fun. It's The Matrix game I have always wanted haha :D

The first mission had me in tears when
you jump on the Nuke and Aerosmith starts playing

I bought the Season Pass, but cannot find
The Rectifier
Do you unlock it later in the game, or should I have gotten it from the start?

An-Det

I finally got around to doing the last string of missions, what a ride. The
"You've got the touch!"
moment was everything I could have dreamed, and picking up on the
Jane Austen
references knowing that was coming was fun to watch since I didn't know exactly how that'd play out. Going into the game, knowing that the
Earth was blown up by aliens
, I figured that if they were to continue the franchise they'd go either with
time travel
or
multiple dimensions
, so I'm really curious where they go from here.

Loved this game. Going to jump in and work on the rest of the challenges/achievements next, should be fun finishing those up.

I found 'Let's Pretend', but I'm not particularly fond of the stuff there. I'm rocking an Ultor Assassin suit or something.

I wanna make my guy look like an armoured futuristic Batman. Is this possible? I'd like to wear the EVA suit minus the helmet.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I found 'Let's Pretend', but I'm not particularly fond of the stuff there. I'm rocking an Ultor Assassin suit or something.

I wanna make my guy look like an armoured futuristic Batman. Is this possible? I'd like to wear the EVA suit minus the helmet.

If you beat the game, yes...to an extent. ;P

NotLiquid

If there's one thing I wish was possible, it would be being able to shoot your weapons mid-air. I'd love to come swooping down into an area and just reign havoc.

Jintor

Finished.

I dunno, there's still a little bit to be antsy about regarding actual gameplay, a living world etc. but man just sitting there and letting the credits sequence wash over me and thinking "this game's alright ya'll"

Fun times!

Jintor

One thing I continually found hilarious was CID basically taunting you about how you probably wanted to get 100% completion and how he had an inane set of tasks for you and also an immediate reward.

Do you think he was the insane whatever guy the Genki commentators were going on about in the final MOM? Those commentators were boss. Wish there was more of them.

One thing I continually found hilarious was CID basically taunting you about how you probably wanted to get 100% completion and how he had an inane set of tasks for you and also an immediate reward.

Do you think he was the insane whatever guy the Genki commentators were going on about in the final MOM? Those commentators were boss. Wish there was more of them.

I really hope they delve into the history of CID in the DLC. Fascinating character. And yeah, the commentators were amazing. Loved it when one of them broke down during the second Genki activity.

Row

Banned
Best superhero look is nyteblade costume + long dreds, been rocking it half the game and see no reason to change it

The best costume is one you unlock after you complete the game and as there's no NG+, it's rather annoying you can't play through the game again using that costume.

Jintor

This game has so many great little smart jokes. One I'm reminded that I really liked was
Pierce trying to push the sing-alongs in his loyalty mission, and then Zinyak crashing the party

Bombless

This game has so many great little smart jokes. One I'm reminded that I really liked was
Pierce trying to push the sing-alongs in his loyalty mission, and then Zinyak crashing the party

That was one of my favourite moments. Made Zinyak my most favourite character in the game really. JB Blanc did a stellar performance in this game.

JustinBB7

Don't really come in this thread because of (soft) spoilers but guess I'll ask this here too, also posted in Steam thread but this thread might be better.

Anyway I was playing Saints Row IV with my friend and she crashed/dropped out the game. Came back and her save files were gone. Any way to get them back :/?

When she got back into my game she was the default guy and level 1, any chance of that overriding her original save? The game autosaved with the default guy a few times I think.

NotLiquid

Question for those of you who finished the game. I've just gotten to the point where
you save Johnny Gat, and as such, having obtained all the power ups.
How far have I gotten in the game? In Saints Row 3, after getting rid of your "main objective" of the game it goes on for another 10 hours at least and throws a ton of new elements and twists your way to make it feel it went on for quite good while longer. With this game it feels a bit hard to judge since a ton of things feel like they build up to something final and good lord are there some insane confrontations.

Just want to set my expectations in check here, I really hope the final mission will be better than in it's predecessor. It soured up a great game in the last minute.

Terra_Ex

Question for those of you who finished the game. I've just gotten to the point where
you save Johnny Gat, and as such, having obtained all the power ups.
How far have I gotten in the game? In Saints Row 3, after getting rid of your "main objective" of the game it goes on for another 10 hours at least and throws a ton of new elements and twists your way to make it feel it went on for quite good while longer. With this game it feels a bit hard to judge since a ton of things feel like they build up to something final and good lord are there some insane confrontations.

Just want to set my expectations in check here, I really hope the final mission will be better than in it's predecessor. It soured up a great game in the last minute.

I'd estimate you're around 2/3rds of the way through the main missions. Hard for me to say for sure as I fucked about a lot to artificially lengthen the experience. If you just went for the main story from where you are, you'd fly through it in no time, if you break it up with activities and side missions it'll last you a little while longer. Seemed shorter than SR3 & 2 though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'd estimate you're around 2/3rds of the way through the main missions. Hard for me to say for sure as I fucked about a lot to artificially lengthen the experience. If you just went for the main story from where you are, you'd fly through it in no time, if you break it up with activities and side missions it'll last you a little while longer. Seemed shorter than SR3 & 2 though.

Eh my playtime is around the same length as SR3 probably longer and that included completing all of the dlc. Granted I didn't complete all of the side stuff which I did most of in SR4 but they gave me no reason to do it and it wasn't all that properly structured in 3 even if it was just side stuff. No idea about 2 didn't play due to crappy pc port despite owning it through the bundle.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think my only big complaint is the soulless city (a problem Inherited from SR3) but that don't stop my from playing, the fun and awesomeness of SR is still there, it's still freaking crazy amazing and lots of fun, video games should be fun and SR4 is all about pure fun.

next gen Volition engine and new everything for SRV (maybe even freaking Geo-Mod 2 in next gen SR as well) that will be amazing, now I need to skip the next two years somehow to get that faster :p

NotLiquid

I think my only big complaint is the soulless city (a problem Inherited from SR3) but that don't stop my from playing, the fun and awesomeness of SR is still there, it's still freaking crazy amazing and lots of fun, video games should be fun and SR4 is all about pure fun.

next gen Volition engine and new everything for SRV (maybe even freaking Geo-Mod 2 in next gen SR as well) that will be amazing, now I need to skip the next two years somehow to get that faster :p

While I agree the city could have been so much more given that they had the chance to build upon it, I still find it an enjoyable city to rummage through in terms of architecture. Especially with the new powers, it's a lot more fun to traverse the city of Steelport as opposed to something like Prototype where you're given fantastic powers only to be thrown into a grey, dull Manhattan.

I dunno, I always enjoyed Steelport a bit. It's got a bit of an anarchic atmosphere to it. Wish there was more to do in it for sure though.

This is coming from somebody who's biased as hell and loves the games so keep that in mind. What exactly would a better realised city add to the game? From my perspective every building could be individually modelled and it wouldn't make the game any better at all.

The city was nothing more than a playground for me, I ran up tall building and jumped from small building to small building. A more attractive environment wouldn't make that more fun, however the huge towers I needed to make my way up did.

I understand in a traditional open world game it would be an issue, however in a game where the story missions that I liked most did so through character interaction
the Shaundi loyaly mission is ineffably one of the most touching moments this gen for me
or through nuts environments outside of the main simulation. I just feel the resources that could have been spent on world design were designated elsewhere and rightly so.

Wow, just encountered the mother of all glitches.

Was playing co-op with a friend, pretty early on. Will spoiler anyway.
We had just freed Matt Miller from the 'matrix', but hadn't actually rescued him yet. Then we went to do the next phase of the mission, and suddenly a whole bunch of the Saints were on the ship, and we were talking about rescuing Johhny Gat. Then it went to the retro sidescroller level.

Basically it skipped a whole bunch of missions on us, from what I can tell. We quit out, and when I loaded back into my save it was showing the correct mission
Go get Matt
but haven't tried playing it co-op seeing as we'd been on for a few hours.

Anyone else encounter anything like that?

Quantum

I've had a few bugs crashing the game, I've had a few freezes.

Other then that I've had about 25 hours of pure joy.

This is the silliest, dumbest, crass knock around game that I've played in a long time. It never takes itself seriously.

I understand people want to compare this to GTA, but that just doesn't make sense - the games have gone down very different paths. I really like both - GTA clearly will have a more 'realistic' story line and will ultimately be played longer by me exploring - but GTA will never have me nut shotting an alien while running full speed past a car that flies away as if it was make of tissuepaper - and thats a good thing.

the superpowers in SR4 are fantastic - each is fun to use and just got better with their improvements.

I'm playing on PC at 2560x1600 - its not the prettiest of games, but the sense of speed and the easy getting from point a - b makes playing this so much fun.

I'm just about to finish solo play then going to jump on mulitplayer.

so happy I bought this instead of listening to all the "its more like a dlc for SR3".

Top Bottom