• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

GamerSoul

Dat
Keith David's nightmare mission
Dat
Super Kinzie's dress

ibnwevQe1dTMqg.jpg

I for the life of me did not get the top thing you listed lol idk it just went over my head.

I finished all the side missions listed and the only things left to do are primary quests. :/ I dont want it to end, man. lol. Imo, it was smart to package the side missions in the way they did. I never got tired of them because it was a good variety of task you could quickly knock out and get a nice reward.

iammeiam

I finally beat it, all loyalty and side missions done. It definitely felt shorter than the other games--I'm at just over 20 hours and have completed all the activities; I still need to go collect a hundred or so data clusters, then decide if I want to grind out achievements/challenges for the different weapon kills, time spent with homies, etc, but I have no idea how I'd get my playtime anywhere near 40 hours, since it seems like there's not much left I haven't done.

Played it on 360; had three hard lockups, one soft lockup during gameplay, and ultimately couldn't use Death from Above because about half the time if I jumped from really high it would bug out and get stuck in this mode where I could move, shoot, and use powers, but couldn't interact with anything, switch weapons, advance missions, etc. Thankfully no data was lost.

Overall I really liked it and wouldn't mind the next game following along this storyline--
either SAINTS IN SPAAAAAACE or having you travel back in time and get 'stuck', having to take over Stilwater circa 1970 or something
. The whole plot, as reference-heavy as it was, really worked for me, although it did ultimately confirm that
SR2 Shaundi is superior Shaundi. She's just more fun! And SR3-era Shaundi was much livelier interacting with her SR2-self, so she improved the quality of all Shaundis.
Story overall flowed MUCH better than SR3, although there were a few spots where it felt like part of a cutscene or transition was missing.

I'm sticking with my earlier view of the game as Saints Row 3-2; it's not a bad thing, but the game is very much reflective of SR3 and despite the story frequently calling back to previous titles it still feels more SR3-era than SR2-era (or original Saints Row era, but I don't think anybody's clamoring for a retreat to that game.) In any case, there's not really any other game out there as willing to make fun of itself and games in general as Saints Row, so I'm happy for whatever I can get.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I lied they're actually a bit smaller but they're WAAAAY stronger!

I made a mod for the blackhole gun.

black_hole_womp_by_alo81-d6kjjti.gif

^^ That's the normal version.

Think that's pretty good, but not quite hot enough.

Then check this sucker out.

black_hole_womp_boom_by_alo81-d6kjnmg.gif

Explosions all over. It's some hot stuff.

Downloads below. I'm sure you can figure out which one is which.

I also included one that works with my Mech Mod in case you want to use them together.

Bigger, Blacker Holes

Bigger, Blacker Holes + Mad Explosions

Bigger, Blacker Holes (Works with Giant Mech mod)

Vargas

I finally beat it, all loyalty and side missions done. It definitely felt shorter than the other games--I'm at just over 20 hours and have completed all the activities; I still need to go collect a hundred or so data clusters, then decide if I want to grind out achievements/challenges for the different weapon kills, time spent with homies, etc, but I have no idea how I'd get my playtime anywhere near 40 hours, since it seems like there's not much left I haven't done.

It took me 35 hours to do absolutely everything in the game, that includes that stupid challenge of traveling 2500000 miles in a alien vehicle. I just had to let the game run on its own for that, and the last 5 hours to get the trophy for Fourth and Forty.

Please Volition, do not make a Fifth and Fifty trophy for Saints Row 5!

njean777

Oh my I just got to
the side scroller portion
I laughed so hard at this. Volition is still one of the developers that can make me laugh.

GamerSoul

Just beat the game with 30hrs clocked. Wow that whole finale was crazy and I did not expect that lol. I was smiling half the time. Man, just when you thought the Saints have done it all. It did feel a bit shorter than the last game but I can't recall how long it took me to beat SR3. And I can admit I ran into my share of glitches and things of that nature but it was still a joy to play. I can say this game had a lot more memorable moments than 3 and I loved SR3. Shit, I might have to get the dlc day 1 when it comes out now lol. I'm looking forward to starting a 2nd play through after I finishing messing around in this profile. :p

UrbanRats

I for the life of me did not get the top thing you listed lol idk it just went over my head.

I finished all the side missions listed and the only things left to do are primary quests. :/ I dont want it to end, man. lol. Imo, it was smart to package the side missions in the way they did. I never got tired of them because it was a good variety of task you could quickly knock out and get a nice reward.

First spoiler is a main mission, go on and you'll see. ;)

Dysun

Having alot of fun with the game, it's hilarious and puts a smile on my face at all times

But, I'm getting tired of these disguised tedious activities as 'Side Quests', they seem more necessary than activities in past games by locking rewards behind them. Like Dubstep gun, infinite sprint, etc

UrbanRats

Having alot of fun with the game, it's hilarious and puts a smile on my face at all times

But, I'm getting tired of these disguised tedious activities as 'Side Quests', they seem more necessary than activities in past games by locking rewards behind them. Like Dubstep gun, infinite sprint, etc

They aren't necessary to finish the story.
Besides, unlocking things when you do side activities is a bad thing? Would you prefer collecting 1000 flags to have an achievement? Cause i can point you in Ubisoft's direction.
I mean to a certain extent you should want to do said activities, because they're fun to play, but if they give you some extra reward, all the better.

Dysun

That was my point, they aren't necessary it's just padding to keep cool stuff locked away from me. I've always disliked the Activities in the Saints Row franchise (but love the rest) so it gets old fast
I also feel like there is enough 'collect-a-thon' going on with orbs, and cache for 'Abilities' that it doesnt need another barrier

jonno394

Just finished it. 29 hours on the clock and one challenge left before leaving the game running for hours to get my platinum. fantastic experience.

im sure i read somewhere that the ending hinted at where the next title could go. What aspect are we talking about
time travel or space empire?

GamerSoul

First spoiler is a main mission, go on and you'll see. ;)

Damn my word selection :3 lol I meant that I did not understand the reference when I reached that mission. It was crazy random to me and I watched my share of wrestling when as a kid. heh

After I beat the game and entered the simulation again, all that was left of my character was her underwear and hair, she was invisible lol Must have been a glitch hopefully.

Trokil

Banned
That Keith David mission was incredible. A whole mission based on a 25 year old movie, probably 95% of the Saints Row IV customers have never seen.

Respect that's bold and also so awesome.

keeth

Neo Member
I really am enjoying this game, but am experiencing constant, hard lock-ups (360). I've read that the game is a bit breakable, and could write it off as just that, except the same thing happened with Tomb Raider.

It's an original 20GB 360, and I'm sure that is a big factor. I just wish I didn't have to consider a new 360 just to play these games.

Sorry to vent in the thread - on topic, I was loving my Hulk jumping up walls and melee-ing the hell out of everyone. Insanely fun.

HT UK

Did anyone ever post this pic from inside Volition that basically confirms the DLC plans?

Hillbilly/Dub/Prez
  • Grass Roots DLC: store.steampowered.com/app/247291/?snr=1...
  • (Probably) Executive Privelage Pack DLC: store.steampowered.com/app/238304/?snr=1...
  • Presidential Pack DLC: store.steampowered.com/app/247292/?snr=1...
  • Notice how these three are listed first, and are already available. July 26 was their submission date, so they could be released in August, as they were.

GAT V
  • Has a submission date of Aug 13, so will likely be out in September. Based on the name, my guess would be somewhere near September 17th
  • Contents of pack were leaked:
  • aAE9OgQ.jpg

Enter the Dominatrix
  • Part of season pass, due '45 days' after the games release.
  • Sub date is September 23rd, so it'll be out in October as announced

Super Powers
  • Most likely another small piece of DLC separate from the pass
  • Probably available late October - Early November

Saints Save XMAS
  • Sounds like a story pack, so probably the 2nd season pass content
  • Probably available late November - early December

Sports
  • Most likely another small piece of DLC separate from the pass
  • My guess would be sports costumes, and some sort of sports themed weapon. Like a gun that fires footballs etc.
  • Probably available late November - early December

Damn my word selection :3 lol I meant that I did not understand the reference when I reached that mission. It was crazy random to me and I watched my share of wrestling when as a kid. heh

It's not about wrestling. Go watch
John Carpenter's "They Live."

It's a joy playing that mission if you get the reference.

NZNova

Started playing this the other day. Loved the first 20 minutes or so but then thought ... you know what? I haven't really played Saints Row 3 yet and it's sitting on my backlog, I'm gonna go play that. Then I thought, that's kinda true about Saints Row 2 too...

TL;DR playing Saints Row 1, brb

EDIT: I met Keith David in SR4, and that was nice. But the guy I met within the first 5 minutes of SR1 was voiced by Keith David! I hope that this logical inconsistency is addressed ASAP or I'm just not going to be able to take this universe seriously.

Ploid 3.0

I lied they're actually a bit smaller but they're WAAAAY stronger!

I made a mod for the blackhole gun.

[IMp://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/243/1/8/black_hole_womp_by_alo81-d6kjjti.gif[/IMG]

^^ That's the normal version.

Think that's pretty good, but not quite hot enough.

Then check this sucker out.

[Ip://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/243/9/7/black_hole_womp_boom_by_alo81-d6kjnmg.gif[/IMG]

Explosions all over. It's some hot stuff.

Downloads below. I'm sure you can figure out which one is which.

I also included one that works with my Mech Mod in case you want to use them together.

Bigger, Blacker Holes

Bigger, Blacker Holes + Mad Explosions

Bigger, Blacker Holes (Works with Giant Mech mod)

Love it, things exploding in there like that is perfect. Crazy, Michael Bay would weep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THOVrEe2gHc

Two things

1. The timing at the end is hilarious

2. How do you get that costume? Dunno if it's a mod.

Cobra Kai uniform/suit something like that. Hat for the goku hair, I don't know where the hat is found as well. Try let's pretend for both. Color Cobra Kai uniform to goku's gi.

dubq

True say. I always did get a crack out of how they managed to work wrestling moves into fight scenes in most of Roddy Piper's acting roles, though.

EDIT: I met Keith David in SR4, and that was nice. But the guy I met within the first 5 minutes of SR1 was voiced by Keith David! I hope that this logical inconsistency is addressed ASAP or I'm just not going to be able to take this universe seriously.
Play SR4 some more and you'll find out..

UrbanRats

Well
more than wrestling itself, it was a parody of They Live, the Carpenter movie.
Also loved the "i hope this doesn't end with me doing ass to ass" call back to Requiem for a Dream infamous scene.
Another pearl was "You sound just like Julius", the character Keith David voiced in Saint's Row 1.
Also i had an action figure/toy of Roddy Roddy Piper!

That mission was just filled with amazing stuff.

dubq

I think one of my favourite parts of the Keith David inclusion is at one point, during one scene down the road, there is a crowd of people and one of them has a "We *Heart* Goliath" sign. Amazing! :)

GamerSoul

That Keith David mission was incredible. A whole mission based on a 25 year old movie, probably 95% of the Saints Row IV customers have never seen.

You haven't seen They Live!?!

You need to correct this grievous mistake immediately

That link didn't work for me but I found a working one and also watched a few more clips of it. Oh shit, that was really something and it all makes more sense now. lmao. Thanks.

anyone have any tips for grinding the challenges?
Mostly kill X Zin with X weapon.

I did all the story/side missions with exception to a platforming rift.

When I cause havoc in the streets I mostly spawn the giant CID thing or a warden

Lijik

fwiw
Im pretty sure you can get the dubstep gun in a lategame mission without having to do the sidequest chain. At least thats how it seemed like, I did the sidequest and I cant imagine my playthough without it. Too damn stronk

Vargas

anyone have any tips for grinding the challenges?
Mostly kill X Zin with X weapon.

I did all the story/side missions with exception to a platforming rift.

When I cause havoc in the streets I mostly spawn the giant CID thing or a warden

There is a virus mission in the northwest part of the map that spawns Genkis, they count as alien so just use your weapons there to farm them, kill around 50 run out of the area and then start it again. There is also another virus where you fight 100 of them but I forget where it is at.

An-Det

I had read that there was a
They Live
reference at some point, but hadn't seen it and finished the story a few days ago. Well, the movie was on HBO Go, so I watched it last night. I knew there was a reference, but replicating so much of it was so awesome I had to go back and replay the mission after finishing the movie. Really appreciate that kind of detail and homage in the game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Some of those rewards unlock later during main missions. If you want them sooner, that's where the side stuff comes in.

Silky

Banned
An hour into this game and this game has yet to stop me from smiling. I think my brightest point of this gameso far is that they brought back the fucking Reggae station.

Shame this game only supports DX11...yet the specs for it and SRTT are eerily similar?

NotLiquid

An hour into this game and this game has yet to stop me from smiling. I think my brightest point of this gameso far is that they brought back the fucking Reggae station.

At the cost of the Metal station as it seems. That was my favorite station to wreck things up with.

Oh well, K12 has Nero on it. And GenX has In Flames. The music selection is disappointingly scarce compared to the previous game, felt incredibly phoned in. But it at least made me a bit more open minded what to listen to.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
You give me freedom to do what I want. Spot on parody, satire, and pop culture references. Super powers that allow me to do what has never been possible in a SR game at this magnitude before, yet the only thing I want to do is find ways to break your game because of one simple motto...(nsfw - profanity)

Walking under water = check
Floating under the world = check
Getting stuck in 'float/falling' animation = check
Losing ability to control my character, but gaining invincibility = check
Having all the alpha channels removed from light/blood/effect textures = check (I REALLY hope that one isn't a bug, but a feature of the world being 'matrix' or whatever, cause it looks HILARIOUS to see cars driving around with headlights that are giant black squares with a light texture stamped in the middle of it)
(xbox360 version btw, no cheats/mods/dlc/whatever)

It was fun while it lasted, but much like 'the third' - the end game is just devoid of things to do. SR2 will always be king, but I've come to accept that this is where the franchise is headed and I'm okay with it.

IMO SR2 remains king only because Stilwater was such a great city. Probably the best open world city I've ever been in. Hopefully SR5 will be next-gen and given a lot more dev time than SR3 and 4 were to throw in a ton of features and a much more worthwhile city.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
IMO SR2 remains king only because Stilwater was such a great city.

Not only due to the city design, but the world feeling alive. You could just stand on a corner and watch shit HAPPEN in SR2, it was ridiculous. The story also was a better balance of serious moments mixed with black humor, and let's not get started on all the diversions and customization differences that just dwarf anything 3 or 4 has. It was a far more complete package (and better "game"), but with 3 and 4 getting such a positive financial and critical response I can't blame them for going this route. They've distanced themselves far enough away from being a "gta clone" that it's found it's own identity and it works, but at the same time it's very much the 'pop culture' that it seems to reference on a whole...

Immensely enjoyable while you're in the moment, but vapid and forgetful the second you put the controller down.

There's a reason why I've logged well over 300hrs in SR2 as compared to what I've done with it's successors (barely over 100 between the two) - but I'm still a sucker for the world and will be coming back for each iteration. I just fully know what to expect when I do, as there's no illusion about what this franchise has become (and I'll enjoy it for what it is, every step of the way).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Not only due to the city design, but the world feeling alive. You could just stand on a corner and watch shit HAPPEN in SR2, it was ridiculous. The story also was a better balance of serious moments mixed with black humor, and let's not get started on all the diversions and customization differences that just dwarf anything 3 or 4 has. It was a far more complete package (and better "game"), but with 3 and 4 getting such a positive financial and critical response I can't blame them for going this route. They've distanced themselves far enough away from being a "gta clone" that it's found it's own identity and it works, but at the same time it's very much the 'pop culture' that it seems to reference on a whole...

Immensely enjoyable while you're in the moment, but vapid and forgetful the second you put the controller down.

There's a reason why I've logged well over 300hrs in SR2 as compared to what I've done with it's successors (barely over 100 between the two) - but I'm still a sucker for the world and will be coming back for each iteration. I just fully know what to expect when I do, as there's no illusion about what this franchise has become (and I'll enjoy it for what it is, every step of the way).

SR2 is what happens when you have enough time and resources dedicated to flesh out a mostly existing world. SR1 was also Stilwater, yet doesn't even compare. SR4 could have turned out a lot more interesting world if they had followed suit in terms of building from what they had created in SR3, but as we all know it was originally just a DLC pack that they decided to expand to a full game.

I do believe they're capable of doing both what they did in terms of world building in SR2 as well as the wacky antics of 3/4 if they had enough budget and were able to focus (SR3's design was essentially restarted partway through development, and SR4 had less time than the standard 2 year cycle since it was just being built as a DLC pack at first).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
IMO SR2 remains king only because Stilwater was such a great city. Probably the best open world city I've ever been in. Hopefully SR5 will be next-gen and given a lot more dev time than SR3 and 4 were to throw in a ton of features and a much more worthwhile city.

While SR4 is pretty good and tons of fun, SR2 is still the king of open world games and not just because the city but also the open nature of the missions, it's story, the gangs, the the balance between the serious stuff and crazy stuff, strong cast (super duper villains), all the activities, what can you do outside of missions or activities(you can enjoy it just by doing random stuff) how NPC in streets react to you..ect. SR2 is really something else.

Dahaka

I'm losing the connection in coop while playing with a friend. There was never a problem with Saints 3, 2 or any other game actually. No problems with the router either. Anybody experiencing the same issues?

Top Bottom