• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse Remastered launches August 14

Been waiting for this. Trilogy is complete now, which is awesome. Hopefully Telltale doesn't make a new one. I'm sure they'd screw it up.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Are those any good? Loved Hit the Road when I was a wee lad, but never played any of the modern ones.

Point-and-click adventure game remaster Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse Remastered will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam on August 14 for $19.99, developer Skunkape Games announced.

I had a lot of fun playing it on the PS3. Funnily enough, when my PS+ subscription ended, I discovered that only chapter 1 got blocked, so I had the chance to finish the other chapters.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The newer Sam & Max games just cant touch Hit the Road, easily one of the best LucasArts point n clicks ever.

Telltale has always been a C tier wannabe to those classics

Gambit2483

Going to guess Limited Run will be doing the physical edition for this one as well. I'll just wait until it's announced then (surprised it wasn't in their "Not E3" direct)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The original version of this was always the most visually ugly game in the series. They were never stunners, but they were at least colorful, but Devil's Playhouse was a mess of brown color and muddy textures and blurry normal maps, it was really an awful looking game.

The remaster looks great, and feels a lot more consistent with the first two season remasters as well. I have been playing these remasters with my daughter and having a great time.

EruditeHobo

Sam and Max Hit the Road was a top shelf Lucasarts adventure game, probably my favorite of their original catalog.
Oddly enough, I never played any of the 3d ones. May have to check this one out.

I never played the 3D ones either, been waiting on the re-releases in order to have them all and go through them... I just haven't found the time to dive in. I did replay Sam & Max recently though, really top tier stuff.

That LucasArts adventure game era was something else -- Monkey Island 1-3, Indy, Tentacle, Sam & Max, Full Throttle, The Dig, Grim Fandango... that is a stellar run.

The perfection of the world building and design of Full Throttle & Grim Fandango to me makes them stand out as "best", personally... but Sam & Max will always be my favorite.

Last edited:
Sam and Max Hit the Road was a top shelf Lucasarts adventure game, probably my favorite of their original catalog.
Oddly enough, I never played any of the 3d ones. May have to check this one out.
Hit the Road is so freaking good. I tried the first 3D game and could not get over how ugly it was. There's a VR version but I avoided it because I thought it was Tell Tale, I realized the other night that it's a different developer so I may need to try it out.

Quasicat

I enjoyed them. They are very different than the other Telltale games. Much closer to the Lucasarts games of old.
To me, this one and Strongbad’s Cool Game for Attractive People were constant
played on my PS3. I would love to see them take it on next.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

What's changed in this? What's been cut?
The biggest thing is that they replaced the actor for Bosco because the old one was the wrong race. The new actor is not as good but you get used to it.

Other than that, they changed a couple jokes that they thought didn't hold up but it's honestly so minor you would never notice or care except on principle.

ShadowNate

I think the question was specifically for this release, which is the remaster of the "third season" (and final season, as far as what the TellTale originals go).

YCoCg

The biggest thing is that they replaced the actor for Bosco because the old one was the wrong race. The new actor is not as good but you get used to it.
Bosco isn't in this season though. And those changes relate to the first and second season, season three came out years later so I'm wondering what's been changed in this release.

DryvBy

I loved the 3rd one. It's really close to the comics.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
These games are amazing and horrendously underrated; after replaying Hit The Road recently it's clear the Telltale Sam and Max games are way better by every metric. The first is a bit weaker than the others, and the low-budget asset reuse does hurt a bit, but it's still worth your time.

SF Kosmo

These games are amazing and horrendously underrated; after replaying Hit The Road recently it's clear the Telltale Sam and Max games are way better by every metric. The first is a bit weaker than the others, and the low-budget asset reuse does hurt a bit, but it's still worth your time.
I can't agree that the Telltale games are better, the writing is funnier in Hit the Road even if some of the puzzles are frustrating.

ShadowNate

This (finally) looks like a proper remaster. They even restored untriggered dialogue. And nothing is being cut or changed for some bullshit modern sensitivities, as far as I can tell from their pretty lengthy news update.

I've yet to play through the original, even though I bought it at the time directly from Telltale's store to support them. It had some pretty strict DRM back then, which was later patched out. I think I've only played episode one of it.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I can't agree that the Telltale games are better, the writing is funnier in Hit the Road even if some of the puzzles are frustrating.
Can't argue if you prefer Hit The Road's writing; humour is even more subjective than most opinions. But I'll say that personally, for whatever reason, I didn't fully appreciate Telltale's writing until the remasters. Now, I love it. Lots of subtle jokes in the dialogue I simply didn't get before. Hit The Road is funny too, but in a more "in your face" style.

SF Kosmo

Can't argue if you prefer Hit The Road's writing; humour is even more subjective than most opinions. But I'll say that personally, for whatever reason, I didn't fully appreciate Telltale's writing until the remasters. Now, I love it. Lots of subtle jokes in the dialogue I simply didn't get before. Hit The Road is funny too, but in a more "in your face" style.
I don't know if I agree with that. Hit the Road is quite dry and the voice acting especially for Max reflects that (Sam is pretty dry in both in fairness).

Top Bottom