• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note III |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any difference between the T-Mobile unlocked version and the AT&T unlocked version?

Both the AT&T and T-Mobile versions support the same bands for 2G, but the T-Mobile version supports an extra band (1700/AWS) for 3G, which is mostly needed for the best signal you can get on 3G. However, for the LTE bands, the AT&T version supports two more bands than the T-Mobile version, which are the 850 and 1900 bands, but I don't think AT&T are utilizing those bands right now.

besiktas1

FINALLY got my dispatch email. Should arrive Monday morning. Will I be the first on gaf with it? If not, what do you guys think about it?
When I get it would you guys like an unboxing or pics etc?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm curious can you give us an example of how furious we should be about this screen quality?
Sounds like they're using the S4 pixel arrangement instead of the Note II's, which was kind of assy. gsmarena's write-up on the screen almost sounds like advertisement:

The display technology is, again, Super AMOLED but this time the matrix isn't RGB but PenTile, however at these insane ppi levels there's no visible pixelation whatsoever.

The screen on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is among the best we've seen here at HQ. It has practically infinite contrast, impeccable viewing angles and colors that pop out of the frame like nothing else.

So back to pentile? Hmm.

Well, skipping the Note 3 then.
Yeah, i'm waiting on the GN4 too. This thread doesn't even have the right title. The phone is called the Samsung GALAXY Note 3, not III.

Sounds like they're using the S4 pixel arrangement instead of the Note II's, which was kind of assy. gsmarena's write-up on the screen almost sounds like advertisement:
The Note II pixel arrangement was awesome. Maybe you mean the GS3?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah, i'm waiting on the GN4 too. This thread doesn't even have the right title. The phone is called the Samsung GALAXY Note 3, not III.

Upgrading every year is psycho anyway. The Note 2 will easily take me to my next natural upgrade.

But it might not be another note if Rom support isn't better.

Is the processor closed off in the note 3 like the exynos is on the note 2?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah, you're right. My mistake.

note2-s3-rgb-pentile.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So. No way in hell I can get this for a decent price off contract right? I have a year to go on my Verizon contract and really want one of these. :p

snacknuts

we all knew her
You can sell your iPhone and buy the Note outright. Your total out of pocket cost should be a little less than if you were paying the new contract price.

Lexxon

You can sell your iPhone and buy the Note outright. Your total out of pocket cost should be a little less than if you were paying the new contract price.

That's the beauty of Apple products. They sure do hold their value. On the other hand, the Note 2 (VZW) is as low as $330 on Swappa and probably lower elsewhere.

If that unlimited data trick doesn't fly, I might be looking to get a N2 off contract instead of the 3. Also want to see the reviews about battery life and such.

By the way, does anyone know if the VZW edition will be a world phone w/ non-US GSM capabilities?

Upgrading every year is psycho anyway. The Note 2 will easily take me to my next natural upgrade.

But it might not be another note if Rom support isn't better.

Is the processor closed off in the note 3 like the exynos is on the note 2?

the LTE models have a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 so there should be more support.

So. No way in hell I can get this for a decent price off contract right? I have a year to go on my Verizon contract and really want one of these. :p

should be like $600-700, but you should be able to get $400-500 for your iPhone 5

I'm exactly "skip the Note 3 and wait for a true 1080p phone with a stylus" furious.
The low brightness on the screen doesn't help either.
Doesn't help with what? You mean it doesn't help with speculative image quality?

You're applying a "sight unseen" policy to the absolute worst thing you could.

besiktas1

I got it, it's amazing but I can't seem to get the hover menu up with S pen out. Worked at first but I'm not sure if I switched it off. Anyone help?

[url="http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/30/samsung-galaxy-note-3-review/]Engadget review[/url]

Glowing review of everything except the internal speaker.

Mook1e

[url="http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/30/samsung-galaxy-note-3-review/]Engadget review[/url]

Glowing review of everything except the internal speaker.
I don't understand how they're still complaining about the plastic build when they practically came all over themselves talking about the plastic Iphone 5c.
But, whatever, to each their own.

Mudkips

Banned
Doesn't help with what? You mean it doesn't help with speculative image quality?

You're applying a "sight unseen" policy to the absolute worst thing you could.

The chart shows the brightness of 10 other high-end smartphones.
The Note III ranks lowest among them.
The thing about objective measurements is that they're objective. I don't need to buy a Note III and take it outside to be disappointed by the brightness. I can be disappointed from the comfort of my home just by reading that chart.

Same goes for pentile. The Note III's screen is large enough that it would piss me off. I know this from using other pentile devices. I don't want to see sawtooth color fringing on my text and UI. Video content is almost all 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. With 4:2:2 you lose 1/2 the color resolution from the video's subsampling, then 1/2 again from the pentile display, leaving you with 1/4 chroma resolution. With 4:2:0 it's 1/4 * 1/2 = 1/8. No fucking thanks.

You could argue you get full resolution from the greens and half resolution on the blue and red so you're "only" reduced by a factor of 2/3 from the pentile display, but you're still seeing the full 50% loss on two channels of color, and that loss of color and the fringing it produces is what's noticeable.

I don't understand how they're still complaining about the plastic build when they practically came all over themselves talking about the plastic Iphone 5c.

Because Engadget.

shinjijai

just because both phones are made out of plastic doesn't mean the quality is the same...

The thing about objective measurements is that they're objective. I don't need to buy a Note III and take it outside to be disappointed by the brightness. I can be disappointed from the comfort of my home just by reading that chart.

Same goes for pentile. The Note III's screen is large enough that it would piss me off. I know this from using other pentile devices. I don't want to see sawtooth color fringing on my text and UI. Video content is almost all 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. With 4:2:2 you lose 1/2 the color resolution from the video's subsampling, then 1/2 again from the pentile display, leaving you with 1/4 chroma resolution. With 4:2:0 it's 1/4 * 1/2 = 1/8. No fucking thanks.

You could argue you get full resolution from the greens and half resolution on the blue and red so you're "only" reduced by a factor of 2/3 from the pentile display, but you're still seeing the full 50% loss on two channels of color, and that loss of color and the fringing it produces is what's noticeable.

technically speaking, don't you lose *1/3* of the data from 4:2:2 and then *1/3* of what's left from RGBG Pentile? so, 1/2 vs 2/3 and not 1/4 vs 1/2?

also, as far as outdoors goes... http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_3_preview-review-986p2.php you're right, you don't have to buy a Note 3 and take it outside to be disappointed as GSMArena already took one outside for us!

DisplayMate.com calls the Galaxy Note 3's screen very impressive.

The Galaxy Note 3 has the newest generation of OLED display technology. The Lab tests show that it is better than the Note II in every measurement category, and also comparable or better than the display on the Galaxy S4. It has double the resolution of the Note II, which is a major improvement, but the most impressive advancement for the Note 3 is its significantly brighter screen, which hits an incredible 660 cd/m2 in high ambient light, the brightest mobile display we have ever tested in the Shoot-Out series. An impressive achievement for OLEDs!

So I'm pretty sure the screen is awesome.

I really don't understand places like the Verge considering 'Still too big for many people' as a con.

Do car reviewers judge a Minivan and say 'Still too big for many people, should have bought a hatchback'?

snacknuts

we all knew her
I really don't understand places like the Verge considering 'Still too big for many people' as a con.

Do car reviewers judge a Minivan and say 'Still too big for many people, should have bought a hatchback'?

Seriously.

"Hey, snacknuts, how are you liking your new Note 3?"
"Pretty well. It's fast and powerful, has battery for days, and the screen is gorgeous. I've been loving the S-Pen, too. I guess my only complain at this point is that it might be too big for some people."

LEGGZZZZ

Just picked this up from T-mobile today in black, phone is fantastic, lots of little upgrades from the Note 2 that add to one nice overall package. That being said, those who wait for the Note 4 would truly experience a huge upgrade next year. Still worth it if you have the extra income though.

So Mudkips was wrong about the display, and everyone was wrong about singling out Samsung for playing fast and loose with the benchmarks (though using the same misleading CPU optimization as everyone else isn't good, but at least makes you blend in).

It's a good day for GN3 on GAF. Still waiting impatiently for my Verizon one.

Got mine this morning... Coming from the Note 1, this thing flies and the battery life is insane! 4.5 hrs of almost non stop use, and I'm still at 73% battery life left.... I love it!

rocK`

Banned
Got mine as well - I'm an android noob, is there a good set of guides on what apps are good (for things like browsing, reddit, etc)?

Mudkips

Banned
technically speaking, don't you lose *1/3* of the data from 4:2:2 and then *1/3* of what's left from RGBG Pentile? so, 1/2 vs 2/3 and not 1/4 vs 1/2?

4:4:4 Full chroma
Code:
[1][2][3][4]
[5][6][7][8]
4:2:2 1/2 of the chroma is lost
Code:
[1][1][2][2]
[3][3][4][4]
4:2:0 3/4 of the chroma is lost
Code:
[1][1][2][2]
[1][1][2][2]

With 4:2:2 the total information is reduced by 1/3, but that reduction is entirely due to skimping on the chroma. Chroma loses a full 1/2 of the information.

With pentile, you lose nothing from G, 1/2 from R, and 1/2 from B. This means you're only losing 1/3 of the total information, but it's restricted to 2 channels (R and B each losing half).

This means red and blue are both fucked down to 1/4. Green is fucked down to 1/2. Luma is fine.
The total signal is "only" fucked down to 4/9 (2/3 for 4:2:2 and 2/3 for pentile). But reds and blues are 1/4 of what they should be and this is what I notice, so this is what I end up caring about.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm thinking of trading my SGS3 in for this Note 3, SGS3 has shit batterylife and no one is supporting the S3 now on an off carrier so i'll probably make the switch back to verizon.

AT&T, Sprint, and T-mobile have like no coverage in the northeast so fuck em.

The thing about objective measurements is that they're objective. I don't need to buy a Note III and take it outside to be disappointed by the brightness. I can be disappointed from the comfort of my home just by reading that chart..

So I'm reading negative things about the display's brightness in this thread, yet...:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/10/samsung-galaxy-note-3-display-how-much-better-is-it/
http://bgr.com/2013/10/01/samsung-galaxy-note-3-display-analysis/

They seem to love it, says it's the brightest AMOLED display yet, great for outdoors.

I understand the concern about PenTile, but the brightness?

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom