• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note III |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have anything to report about battery life yet, until I get home from work tonight. One of the things that made me try it is the user claims of 2-3 days of battery.

Right now, the bulkiness and lack of real Facebook or Gmail notifications are making me lean heavily towards returning it.

What do you mean by this?
You can see that a Facebook or Gmail notification has come in, but it tells you to look at your phone to find out what it is. The regular email app will show at least some of the message.

I think there are solutions on the home brew scene that are WIP, otherwise we have to wait for an app, which I doubt Facebook will bother with.

mackattk

I had to buy my note 3 at full price, so I picked up a tempered glass screen protector since I am paranoid that I am going to drop it or scratch the screen. The one I got is a MIME Ghost Glass.

It was quite a bit more expensive than the normal screen protectors, clocking in at almost $30 off Amazon. This thing is worth it. I honestly can't tell a difference between the screen protector and the regular glass on the phone. Installation was extremely easy; much easier than the normal screen protectors. It came with both a piece of cloth and an adhesive screen to ensure that there will be no dust when applying. It really is the only screen protector that I have used that I haven't had a problem with, no dust and no bubbles. The S-Pen still works great. I haven't tried any of the other features like the hand swipe thing so I can't comment on that.

Only downside is that it makes my phone feel quite a bit heavier. I am honestly surprised at how much this thing weighs.

So about to get this phone and wondering if anyone regrets getting it, my number one issue is the build quality, I had an S4 and it completely broke the first time I dropped it.

So about to get this phone and wondering if anyone regrets getting it, my number one issue is the build quality, I had an S4 and it completely broke the first time I dropped it.

This thing feels so much better than my S3 in terms of quality. It's a solid machine. I have no regrets!

I really can't find a major flaw with this phone. The performance blows away my iPad 3, which I haven't used since I got this. This is first mobile device I've had that never reloads browser tabs on me as long as the application is running, and PDFs are a lot snappier.

How long does this phone takes to charge? I heard this phone battery can last all day but I'm really getting thick with my GSIII obnoxiously long charge circle, so I have to let it on while sleep and my battery got ruined.

How long does this phone takes to charge? I heard this phone battery can last all day but I'm really getting thick with my GSIII obnoxiously long charge circle, so I have to let it on while sleep and my battery got ruined.

the GS3 shouldn't take long to charge. are you using the official charger?

anyway...

0Bz8T8x.png

My experience charging with the USB 3.0 cable is more like one hour to charge.

With blue tooth on all day streaming music at work, I can get about 2 full days out of the battery. Whatever the use case it will survive a day of heavy use with juice to spare.

So now the note 3 has been out a while, do people consider it a decent upgrade from a note 2? Ive pulled the trigger on one but im unsure if im making a mistake.

GutsOfThor

So now the note 3 has been out a while, do people consider it a decent upgrade from a note 2? Ive pulled the trigger on one but im unsure if im making a mistake.

I didn't come from a Note 2 but I've heard a few people say that it isn't worth the upgrade and if you have a Note 2 just wait for the Note 4. Likewise, Note 3 owners should wait until the Note 5 or whatever it will be called.

I didn't come from a Note 2 but I've heard a few people say that it isn't worth the upgrade and if you have a Note 2 just wait for the Note 4. Likewise, Note 3 owners should wait until the Note 5 or whatever it will be called.

Hmm. Yeah, watching a few videos, thats what im taking away. My note 2 is only 6 months old, it can wait till next year.

dhlt25

put the Omega rom on my phone and the battery has improve drastically. Omega is basically samsung rom without the built in crap from t-mobile or the snap chat stuff. I'm a heavy user, pretty much ~2-3 hours of 4g browsing, ~1hr of streaming music and constant email fb update everyday. Before the Omega rom I was at ~18% after being up for 18hrs, now I have to push it to get in below 50%

wilflare

put the Omega rom on my phone and the battery has improve drastically. Omega is basically samsung rom without the built in crap from t-mobile or the snap chat stuff. I'm a heavy user, pretty much ~2-3 hours of 4g browsing, ~1hr of streaming music and constant email fb update everyday. Before the Omega rom I was at ~18% after being up for 18hrs, now I have to push it to get in below 50%

that's pretty amazing. now I'm tempted to give it a try. hmm

ink4n3

I got the Note 3 last Friday when I got back to the US and I really want to get the S-View case for it. Is there a shortage of them or something? It seems like most of them are back ordered on the Samsung website.

Also, is there a huge difference between this S-View case and the one for the S4? The S4 S-View cases are like $8 on amazon. Why is this $60?

seanoff

alright.

I am testing/configuring some for a business. quick question.

i get back to the blank, i'm doing nothing, have nap phone, screen. and it just keeps going ima not liking sleep, lights up the screen. so i take back to napping, naps for a little, turns itself back on. rinse repeat ad infinitum. it's just sitting on a desk, nothing near it.

any ideas?

would it be air gestures causing this?

It could be air gestures but it's supposed to show a different screen when you waive your hand over the phone while asleep. It's a black screen with a clock and missed notification counters. Maybe some other crazy wake option is enabled?

My note feel 1 foot out of my pocket from my loose sweatpants between my seat and car door. Now the fake metal ring is dented on a corner.

Jesus.

My case is suppose to arrive tomorrow. Here is hoping I make it another 24. Hours.

Cronox

Banned
For those of you worrying about dropping this (when holding it), look up getting something like a flygrip. It's worked well for me on a Galaxy Note 1. I fact, without it I think the phone would be too unwieldy to use.

Gvaz

Banned
I got the Note 3 last Friday when I got back to the US and I really want to get the S-View case for it. Is there a shortage of them or something? It seems like most of them are back ordered on the Samsung website.

Also, is there a huge difference between this S-View case and the one for the S4? The S4 S-View cases are like $8 on amazon. Why is this $60?
No idea. I got mine with the employee discount at my best buy so it wasn't so bad. Waiting on the Otterbox tho...

snacknuts

we all knew her
Does anyone else have an issue with the proximity sensor? It effectively turns the screen off when I put the phone near my face, but when I take it away the screen remains off until I press the Home button. It's kind of aggravating, and I'm wondering if it's a hardware problem with my phone, or a software issue with the device that affects everyone. Verizon model.

besiktas1

So my phone just updated a whole heap. Anywhere I can read the change log. So far all I can see is the keyboard is now black.

I just got this after having to do a bunch of work around bullshit to keep my verizon unlimited data grandfathered in.

I'm loving it so far. Pretty fun little fucking huge thing.

After having a Note II last year and getting rid of it I said I'd nevet get a Note again.

...I now have a Note 3 with an S View cover and I'm really impressed, obviously I kind of knew what to expect anyway but the screen is gorgeous, everything is crazy fast (a bit too fast sometimes) and the battery life is astounding. I charged it when I got it on Wednesday and it took over 24 hours to get the battery below 55%, obviously I'm at work so I can't abuse it but on my S4 I could literally watch the battery drain right before my eyes even when I was at work.

The only bugbear so far is that the Google Now shortcut has been replaced by Samsung's own search function, is there any way to rectify that?

fiore

Banned
After having a Note II last year and getting rid of it I said I'd nevet get a Note again.

...I now have a Note 3 with an S View cover and I'm really impressed, obviously I kind of knew what to expect anyway but the screen is gorgeous, everything is crazy fast (a bit too fast sometimes) and the battery life is astounding. I charged it when I got it on Wednesday and it took over 24 hours to get the battery below 55%, obviously I'm at work so I can't abuse it but on my S4 I could literally watch the battery drain right before my eyes even when I was at work.

The only bugbear so far is that the Google Now shortcut has been replaced by Samsung's own search function, is there any way to rectify that?
Yeah I prefer Google now as well, I just hold the menu button and clock the Google icon for now

Yeah I prefer Google now as well, I just hold the menu button and clock the Google icon for now

I've been loadng it by going into the Google folder but obviously that's not as quick, I'll do some research to see if I can get rid of the Samsung Search or at least swap it round to Google now.

Lexxon

You can either hold the menu button and choose Google, or you can sideload a launcher application along with the newest Google Search app update to use the new Google Experience launcher:

http://www.howtogeek.com/176009/how...le-experience-launcher-on-any-android-device/

You'll lose some TouchWiz features, but this allows you to launch Now from the search bar built into the launcher, or by swiping left on your last home screen (which by default is your first home screen). You can also use "Ok, Google" voice prompt from anywhere in the launcher.

You can either hold the menu button and choose Google, or you can sideload a launcher application along with the newest Google Search app update to use the new Google Experience launcher:

http://www.howtogeek.com/176009/how...le-experience-launcher-on-any-android-device/

You'll lose some TouchWiz features, but this allows you to launch Now from the search bar built into the launcher, or by swiping left on your last home screen (which by default is your first home screen). You can also use "Ok, Google" voice prompt from anywhere in the launcher.

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home.

The battery life on this thing is really impressing me. I've been streaming high quality video all day and it's still chugging along pretty well.

So I have owned one for a month now, I upgraded from a 3 year old iPhone 4, so this is my first foray into Android, here are my impressions.

Positives

USB 3 charger charges so DAMN FAST, I love it, when its dying, I just put it

LOVE LOVE LOVE the multi colored LED in the phone, using MultiFlow its nice to change the color of the led depending on the app that got the notification, if my LED is blinking white I know its a text message, if its purple, its Viber, awesome.

Negatives

Once very week my phone's physical buttons stop working, HOme button doesnt work, if I hold the power button it doesnt bring out the power menu, eventually the phone will restart itself??? Again, I might have too many widgets and apps installed but I thought I would never see something like that in a device with 3GB of Ram.

Other Android chargers have a really difficult time charging the Note 3, as a matter of fact, I cant charge mine with a computer or a car adapter, a USB 2 wall adapter charges it but very very slowly.

The phone will last me more than a day only if I dont use the screen, if I start browing reddit, GAF or anything else, the battery starts draining really really fast not lasting even a day, this is using the AUTO brightness settings.

Phone gets really hot when Dropbox starts uploading all my pictures in the background and it will drain my battery until It cant anymore, I wish I could tell dropbox to only sync while the phone is charging or something.

/*-------------------------------

I have tons of more positives that have more to do with Android than the Note itself, all in all im very happy with this phone, I bought a knockoff 4200mAh battery so hopefully I see more battery life out of it.

Gvaz

Banned
I haven't had any issues with the physical buttons

Only issues I've had is with android itself and that's because touchwiz is fucking awful and i don't like that i can't uninstall the preinstalled apps like football. Who fucking cares about football? I don't.

I'm waiting for a good rom to come out and have root so i can ditch all this bloatware.

Deepo

Got a Note 3 a few days ago. I like the phone, but it has one problem that really bothers me. The screen suffers from black crush/clipping, at least on my unit.

ASvz0dm.jpg

I've read that the first Note also suffered from this, but that that one was much worse.It's probably not a big deal for most people, but it's really driving me up the wall. Watched an episode of X-Files yesterday, which is a really dark show. The amount of detail lost was pretty horrible, at least to me.

I'm thinking of exchanging it, but since it was bought by my employer, I'm not sure what my rights are. Enjoying the pen features and the large screen, but the black crush kind of ruins it for me.

Got a Note 3 a few days ago. I like the phone, but it has one problem that really bothers me. The screen suffers from black crush/clipping, at least on my unit.

ASvz0dm.jpg

I've read that the first Note also suffered from this, but that that one was much worse.It's probably not a big deal for most people, but it's really driving me up the wall. Watched an episode of X-Files yesterday, which is a really dark show. The amount of detail lost was pretty horrible, at least to me.

I'm thinking of exchanging it, but since it was bought by my employer, I'm not sure what my rights are. Enjoying the pen features and the large screen, but the black crush kind of ruins it for me.

How do you test this?

Purexed

Banned
Anyone else having issues with the YouTube/Browser multi window combination? The default web browser doesn't seem to work frequently.

Deepo

How do you test this?

Download the below image to your phone and display it full screen:

I've been playing around some more with the phone today, and I'm starting to really enjoy it. Had a look at the same X-Files episode again, and was able to see more black details after playing around some more with the display settings. Thinking I've jumped the gun a bit on judging the screen, so I'm sorry for misleading anyone. There's still some bad pixellation in dark areas in Netflix, but I'm thinking that might be more the app and not the screen.

mr stroke

Can anyone with Note 3 tell me if it uses the same sim card as an iPhone 5s(At&t) ?

I want to keep my iphone 5s and pick up a Note 3 as a second phone and be able to swap between both of them with ease.

Can anyone with Note 3 tell me if it uses the same sim card as an iPhone 5s(At&t) ?

I want to keep my iphone 5s and pick up a Note 3 as a second phone and be able to swap between both of them with ease.

nope.

iirc only the LG G2, Nexus 5, Moto X and Droid Mini/Maxx/Ultra have Nano-SIM slots.

you can get an adapter though.

Riposte

Thread doesn't seem to be the busiest (maybe I should look for a broader one), but w/e:

I recently got the Galaxy Note III and it's real nice and all that. I'm hoping it can replace my need for a laptop for school (never paid too much attention to smartphones from a productivity perspective). One problem I'm having is that none of the calendar/to-do list apps/widgets can do this one simple, but specific thing I want them to. I've spent too much time trying to find a solution, so I thought I would just ask here.

The default Calendar app/widget would fit me perfectly if I could just get it to list tasks without due dates on the widget that I like to put on my homepage (i.e., carrying over tasks between days and mixing those with and without due dates). If it can be set to do that, then I'll be golden. If not, I'd want an app plus a non-full screen widget (to-do list style) that can handle it. The calendar part isn't even all that important. If this is a super common feature (found on any calendar app) and I'm just an idiot, feel free to suggest better apps/widgets that can also do this.

Flambe

If you don't mind it being in a different widget than your calendar, Wunderlist looks decent. Can either have due date or none at all, easy to check something off right from the widget when it's done. Can also sync lists with other devices, computers, etc.

As for calendars I always liked using the Smooth Calendar app for my homescreen widget. That said I haven't needed it for a year or so and my preference could be outdated :)

dankir

I'm getting about 2 and a half days battery life with my regular usage and battery saver app running.

Amazing phone, love it so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom