• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm sure we'll all be very dour and serious-minded come the end of next week's episode.

This was the lightest episode yet, tonally; It had some of the first laughs of the season. So naturally the conversation's gonna look a little different.

Roll wit it, y'all. C'mon.

Gotta get back

to Serious Jack

caliph95

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. Things we can joke about can just take up more time to talk about. Quite a few people expressed their wonder at the sheer excellence of this episode and the season overall, but when we've all seen the episode and feel the same way about it, there isn't much left to vocally discuss.

So it turns to shitposting.

I'll dissent then. I thought the episode looked really nice but as a whole I didn't like it all that much because I felt like it dragged.
90% of the episode was just chained up Ashi bitching at Jack and trying to get him killed one way or another while guilty Jack felt obligated to try to save her.
I just didn't find it to be that engaging of a shtick for the episode, the way it all played out was just really obvious.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll dissent then. I thought the episode looked really nice but as a whole I didn't like it all that much because I felt like it dragged.
90% of the episode was just chained up Ashi bitching at Jack and trying to get him killed one way or another while guilty Jack felt obligated to try to save her.
I just didn't find it to be that engaging of a shtick for the episode, the way it all played out was just really obvious.

Like many of the more random episodes of Samurai Jack its less about the destination but the journey.

HStallion

Right, that's what I mean. I didn't care much for the journey in this particular episode. It didn't really do anything except look pretty.

Ahh well I really enjoyed it as a change of pace and a call back, directly even, to eps like Jack and the Farting Dragon.

olag

You know what fuck it. Im not entirely against a romance developing between Jack and Ashi. If its paced and written correctly then I dont really see whats wrong with it.

Dope as fuck episode as usual though. Im guessing Ashi is gonna start stalking jack from now on. Or maybe the creators will throw a curve ball and they go separate ways and never meet again.

Akainu

I'm sure we'll all be very dour and serious-minded come the end of next week's episode.

This was the lightest episode yet, tonally; It had some of the first laughs of the season. So naturally the conversation's gonna look a little different.

Roll wit it, y'all. C'mon.

The previous episodes had funny bits.

Why are we spoiler tagging conjecture?

Gorillaz

Possibly the most old school samurai jack episode of the newest episodes. This could have work even as a bottle episode with no setup from anything before hand and it would have been good. Nice to see the more fantasy and mythical elements again along with some of the humor.

"what did you expect? a hug and a kiss" favorite line I think it's the voice and the fact it's just some floating puff ball saying it like "duh" while smiling

Ogodei

I had my speculation just because i think they're going for a Golden Ending, where Jack gets back to the past and goes on to become Emperor and a father to a son of his own, and the question is where he gets a wife in that scenario (and it would be silly to go the "random village girl" route, like in Fire Emblem Awakening if you somehow manage to not romance anybody).

Of course, the problem with Ashi is that if Jack does successfully correct the past, it depends on the rules of time travel in this universe and whether Jack "unmakes" her, and everyone else he's met, due to averting the future of Aku.

caliph95

I had my speculation just because i think they're going for a Golden Ending, where Jack gets back to the past and goes on to become Emperor and a father to a son of his own, and the question is where he gets a wife in that scenario (and it would be silly to go the "random village girl" route, like in Fire Emblem Awakening if you somehow manage to not romance anybody).

Of course, the problem with Ashi is that if Jack does successfully correct the past, it depends on the rules of time travel in this universe and whether Jack "unmakes" her, and everyone else he's met, due to averting the future of Aku.
God time travel is confusing

Technically Jack or at least future Jack already did go to the past and the present seems fine.

cntr

Banned
eh, the main thing is that a romance between Jack and Ashi has all kinds of weird implications and things behind it, and with how much thought they've been giving Jack's mental health, I can't see them doing it.

that's also why I think the Scotsman is going to be the one to take in Ashi, since he's much more suited to helping Ashi compared to Jack's mental issues. And he's actually a dad.

It'd tie in the plotlines pretty smoothly, and let Jack go off and do stuff on his own instead of dragging Ashi everywhere.

Azure J

I dunno about y'all but I greatly enjoyed the Banjack-Kazashi episode because of how tonally different it was and the silly ass interactions the two had. The most forced bit was literally the end of the episode but then how else would you resolve vicious killer kunoichi alone on island with target without the season ending right there with Jack's death?

Fandoms gonna fandom so I won't even touch on that.

HStallion

The show will end with Jack and Aku being miserable together in a sitcom style situation similar to the Odd Couple.

The way I currently expect the time travel to work in Jack so far to allow a happy ending:

Stable loop, causes multiple timelines. Anyone who goes back through a time portal (Jack and potentially ashi) survive unchanged by anything they change after coming back. Avoids paradoxes by not destroying the future Jack came from, though this leaves the future Jack leaves as buggered. Only real solution here would be for Jack to kill/remove Aku in both the future and past times in order for both worlds to exist without him.

God time travel is confusing

Technically Jack or at least future Jack already did go to the past and the present seems fine.

That didn't happen in the timeline Jack is currently in. At least, not if Jack has a chance to succeed when he goes to the past. He could go to the past, lose horribly, and then the current timeline occurs, I suppose.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Will Jack get a final battle against Future Aku or just save it for Past Aku?

I'm guessing he will defeat future Aku and the series will end with him using the last time portal to return to the past, implying he goes back to fight past Aku. Or it shows him return to the past to fight Aku and ends with Aku being shocked Jack returned.

Or maybe they pull some wild shit and future Aku returns to the past with Jack, forcing Jack to fight both at once.

Blues1990

I'm guessing he will defeat future Aku and the series will end with him using the last time portal to return to the past, implying he goes back to fight past Aku. Or it shows him return to the past to fight Aku and ends with Aku being shocked Jack returned.

Or maybe they pull some wild shit and future Aku returns to the past with Jack, forcing Jack to fight both at once.

The interaction between the "old" and "young" Aku would be hilarious, if the psychologist gag in Season 5's second episode is any indication.

Ogodei

The way I currently expect the time travel to work in Jack so far to allow a happy ending:

Stable loop, causes multiple timelines. Anyone who goes back through a time portal (Jack and potentially ashi) survive unchanged by anything they change after coming back. Avoids paradoxes by not destroying the future Jack came from, though this leaves the future Jack leaves as buggered. Only real solution here would be for Jack to kill/remove Aku in both the future and past times in order for both worlds to exist without him.

That didn't happen in the timeline Jack is currently in. At least, not if Jack has a chance to succeed when he goes to the past. He could go to the past, lose horribly, and then the current timeline occurs, I suppose.

So the Ocarina of Time scenario, where there's a "saved" future where Aku's legacy remains, but he was defeated and the world was saved, and there's a saved past where the evil of Aku was averted before it could go further than Japan?

lol that was a pretty good ep.

That might be the most I've ever hear Jack talk.

My theory (which shouldn't be much of a stretch tbh) is that he defeats Aku with Ashi's help in the future, finds a way to go back to the past (complete with some sappy goodbye?) and defeats him there too also but instead of the future ceasing it still remains via some timeline shenanigans. After getting to understand him (which can be a deep respect and/or even love?) and seeing what he represents Ashi takes up the mantle in his honor.

I would go as far to say this seems like a very common prediction but we'll see what the team has in store .

Yeah i can see him defeating Aku in the future and leaving a now reformed Ashi (after maybe a bit of training throughout their adventures) to deal with the fallout and to protect this newly freed world. Just because Aku is defeated it doesn't mean they don't need a skilled warrior to fight the ones left.

Then he goes to the past and defeats him there, creating an alternate timeline.

Just saw the latest installment and thought it was a superb episode. A nice refreshing change from last week's heavy episode. It was great to see more humor, especially Jack being sarcastic and self-aware even while being in the belly of the beast (I've gotten out before), and it was cool to get a little perspective of how Ashi, one of the daughters of Aku, actually acts and thinks, even if that overall plot element was a bit repetitive.

It's also interesting to note that Jack talks more in this episode then usual. I think adds to his character at this point, though.

The art was terrific as ever as well, especially during the underwater sequences when we saw the sea creature. Overall it was another great episode.

TheOGB

Banned
So the Ocarina of Time scenario, where there's a "saved" future where Aku's legacy remains, but he was defeated and the world was saved, and there's a saved past where the evil of Aku was averted before it could go further than Japan?
That's what I think we'll happen, yeah.

And all shipping & thicc jokes aside, I'm not 100% opposed to Jack & Ashi romance. More like 90% opposed. I think if they did go that route it could be done well (just off the fact that I trust Genndy more than I trust Bruce Timm >_>). But there are FAR too many awkward implications so I'd prefer they just didn't do it.

I joke about the relationship happening, but this is starting more like a sensei/student relationship.

Then again Genndy didn't get to finish Sym-bionic titan which would have eventually had the brooding badass black hair warrior end up with the onion hair girl. So he might be finishing that here.

Nordicus

I was pleasantly surprised by Jack and Ashi's motivations for basically not just having last fight to the death at the end there.

It is not out of character for Jack's guilty conscience (of being indirectly responsible for Ashi's brainwashing) to make him borderline obsess over eventually bringing her around, and thankfully it was Ashi's own memories and perspective that made her seize her hand, rather than anything Jack explicitly did.

So GG Genndy. I was dreading that I would simply gag at the potentially forced character development between the two and consider it one of the low points of the season, but so far they have avoided that.

Tubobutts

I think a romantic relationship between a recently semi-unbrainwashed assasin and a guy who has been losing his mind from 50 years of continued failure would be pretty fucked up.

Xe4

Banned
I joke about the relationship happening, but this is starting more like a sensei/student relationship.

Then again Genndy didn't get to finish Sym-bionic titan which would have eventually had the brooding badass black hair warrior end up with the onion hair girl. So he might be finishing that here.

Actually, in Sym Bionic Titan, Genndy commented that he actually preferred to keep Lance and Ilana as friends instead of going for the romantic pairing. Of course, he may have been fucking lying, but there's now way to tell now : )
: (

Actually, in Sym Bionic Titan, Genndy commented that he actually preferred to keep Lance and Ilana as friends instead of going for the romantic pairing. Of course, he may have been fucking lying, but there's now way to tell now : )
: (

well we already had enough of the romance stuff with the robot and redhead, and im surprised they even went there

Put me in the "platonic father/daughter, sensei/student camp".

Just so we can get more scenes of Jack being sassy to Ashi.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So we're all aware this episode was one big homage to Jabu-Jabu dungeon from Ocarina of Time? Good? Good.

Geist-

I'd be fine with this, Lance had a lot of chemistry with that goth girl.

Not like I'll ever know if it went further

:(
Even after having had it explained to me multiple times, it still blows my mind that Symbionic Titan is completely, irreversibly dead. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't expect Jack will go back at all. It'll come down to whether he kills Aku and stay stuck or cling onto the dream and he'll choose to end things once and for all.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Even after having had it explained to me multiple times, it still blows my mind that Symbionic Titan is completely, irreversibly dead. I just can't wrap my head around it.

I made the mistake of starting to watch ST and I like it so far. How does the "irreversibly dead" part work? Is that part of the writing off process CN did?

RRockman

Banned
I don't expect Jack will go back at all. It'll come down to whether he kills Aku and stay stuck or cling onto the dream and he'll choose to end things once and for all.

Super against this type of ending. They have been hyping up his return by drilling the end goal into our heads for YEARS. It's even the only actual lyrics in the original theme song! It would be a huge let down if he doesn't get back after all of the teases we've had through out the the series as well.

Zubz

Banned
That was a really nice episode! I loved the humor.

I don't personally want a romance subplot between Jack & Ashii. In fact, I think we'd be better off without it. But that deer scene explicitly focused on the Sisters learning about love; I think it's going to happen. What's more up in the air is the Scotsman's fate, though; I really don't want him to die!

Side-note: I thought I was used to Greg Baldwin as Aku a couple episodes back, but he sounds even more off in the promo. It's a great villain voice, but it's always going to catch me by surprise.

18021befb6af085d61389038854d8c43.png
Ahaha, you fucked me, foolish samurai! Ahahahaha! Fool!

I don't know if you're aware of how much I appreciated this, so I just needed to state that I did.

Yeah Jack spoke the most ever in this episode, moreso than any previous episode int he series.

Yup. I guess when he has a companion, the focus is always on them, & in the case of the Scotsman, he has an overpowering personality. In this case, the focus was on Jack & his decision to rescue Ashii, so he needed to talk by design.

Jarmel

Banned
Super against this type of ending. They have been hyping up his return by drilling the end goal into our heads for YEARS. It's even the only actual lyrics in the original theme song! It would be a huge let down if he doesn't get back after all of the teases we've had through out the the series as well.

With the tone they've been going for in the new series, I would find Jack finding some lastmystical portal at this point to be a boring resolution to a lot of his mental issues. He can brush aside his feelings of regret/loss/failure because hey he can go back and save everyone. I think it's much more interesting from a writing standpoint if Jack has to learn how to deal and accept the situation he's in.

I don't find it to be dark at all. Jack has to learn to accept that he lost but that there's still beauty and good in this world and so it's still worth living in.

considering the demons of his dead friends and family are haunting him, I don't think he will just accept it easily. Not to mention there is still one time portal Aku shouldn't be aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom