• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm searching everywhere and I can't find anything. Considering how most people have been thinking this is his way back this piece of information would be fairly huge among the fandom.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm searching everywhere and I can't find anything. Considering how most people have been thinking this is his way back this piece of information would be fairly huge among the fandom.
I'm guessing Guardian is dead, banished from earth, captured, or whatever. Gennedy said Guardian was a thing.

Pseudo Spoiler from Gendy Q&A
They know the guardian was a thing and he said along the lines that they will probably at least mention it, maybe.

It was apparently done at some Q&A.

I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth but I guess that's one way to get rid of a plot point you brought up and then destroyed. Particularly since said plot point had a future vision element to it? I guess I'll be surprised in the season though.

Jarmel

Banned
I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth but I guess that's one way to get rid of a plot point you brought up and then destroyed. Particularly since said plot point had a future vision element to it? I guess I'll be surprised in the season though.
If Jack can change the future then it makes sense Aku could too.

I had thought when Jack said Aku destroyed all of of the time portals that the one the Guardian was guarding was also destroyed. But maybe it'll fit into the plot still, we still have over half a season to go.

cntr

Banned
Aku is really overpowered because he's immune to all weapons that aren't magical, and even then only Jack's sword is enough to seriously hurt him.

What a fucking brilliant episode. Visually stunning from start to finish with a refreshing amount of humor to boot. Extremely excited for next episode to see Aku and the Scotsman go all out.

he's going to kill Aku in the present after all these struggles and then go back to the past and just straight up murder Aku like when Future Trunks went back in time and just destroyed the androids in two seconds.

Seems like Ra didn't give a fuck about Aku and only cared about the minions of Set. I imagine if Ra was concerned about the fate of the earth, there'd be intervention

I really appreciate how past events are reference/tied into the new season. Stuff like Jack always rushing to a ransacked village/town to save it in the original series contrasts with him seeing smoke, then heading away from it. Or "using the light" to blend into the snowy surroundings like when he fought Shinobi, and balancing on thin beam while fighting off pursuers like with the Imakandi hunters.

and now traversing the inside of a massive beast. so good

cntr

Banned
Seems like Ra didn't give a fuck about Aku and only cared about the minions of Set. I imagine if Ra was concerned about the fate of the earth, there'd be intervention
Jack's sword was forged by Ra (and Vishnu and Odin) for his dad to defeat Aku, so he sort of cared?

Ra and the others also defeated the proto-evil that Aku is a remaining fragment of, but that was a universe-scale thing.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its hardly like Zelda is the first property to come up with a character entering and navigating the insides of some gigantic beast.

Xe4

Banned
Its hardly like Zelda is the first property to come up with a character entering and navigating the insides of some gigantic beast.
Shit, it happened to Jack several times in the past seasons, lol.

This was just done far more artistically well.

I'm curious to know what the hell was going on with Lapis Lazuli the ocean goddess mentioned in Jack and the Gangsters, because based on what was said she apparently destroyed Aku whenever he tried stealing the ocean gem. Outside of Ra, Odin and Vishnu, I don't think we've ever seen Aku remotely that outmatched before.

cntr

Banned
I think Aku can't do much with deities and divine stuff in general, which kind of makes sense since he's basically an evil god

it's just that none of them are willing to defeat Aku directly, probably because Jack was supposed to do it

This is so good. You can tell from every episode that they really went all in on this. A lot done well with very little, these four episodes have been a treat and really looking forward to where they are taking this.

NEO0MJ

I think Aku can't do much with deities and divine stuff in general, which kind of makes sense since he's basically an evil god

it's just that none of them are willing to defeat Aku directly, probably because Jack was supposed to do it

Aku is merely a fraction of the full evil God after all, they probably think he's not worth directly dealing with.

Xe4

Banned
When are we getting that samurai Jack movie?

Right now. Seriously, Genndy planned this miniseries to give the same sort of ending as the movie would have provided.

Looking at how fast this series is going already, I have no idea how he could have fit the entire plot into even a 3 hour movie. This is definitely the correct move.

Da-Kid

Right now. Seriously, Genndy planned this miniseries to give the same sort of ending as the movie would have provided.

Looking at how fast this series is going already, I have no idea how he could have fit the entire plot into even a 3 hour movie. This is definitely the correct move.
Who said anything about one movie? This would be a great live action movie franchise.

Nudull

Banned

Probably would've just condensed it to Jack fighting the Daughters as the "endgame".

Xe4

Banned
Who said anything about one movie? This would be a great live action movie franchise.
TBH, it'd be damn hard to convert Samuri Jack to live action. The artstyle/framing/silence of the show would be hard to pull off in live action.

Though I prefer animation to live action, so I'm probably bias.

tumblr_onnx4vQ5V31vxidb5o1_1280.jpg

You know, I really like how they keep you guessing with illusion Jack. He's goes from angry-suicidal, to maniacal taunting, to sarcastic smug in all appearances.

I don't find it to be dark at all. Jack has to learn to accept that he lost but that there's still beauty and good in this world and so it's still worth living in.
this is exactly what I think will happen, and what I hope will happen. I posted that earlier in the thread and it was mentioned that that's basically how the comic ended, but I'm okay with that. It definitely seems like the direction that Jack's character is headed in, but I'm just basing that off the first few episodes I guess.

what I really want to happen, though, is this:

Throughout the season, Jack rekindles his connections with the people of the future, and gathers a new resolve to fight Aku, whatever it takes.
At some point, he'll begin to build a resistance, and at some point, he'll retrieve his sword. And then, he'll discover a temporary means by which to return to the past, and he'll have a short struggle with the idea that, in restoring his world, he'll be sacrificing his friends in the process. Nonetheless, he chooses to go through. but for whatever reason, he's not the one who gets sent through the portal with the sword. Ashi is.
Ashi returns to the past and defeats Aku in sick fashion. And then we're treated to an epilogue: Ashi acclimating to a beautiful world, untainted by Aku, where she enjoys the life of a wanderer; Jack, trusting that Ashi defeats Aku in his stead, comes to understand that his future still exists, and resolves to protect it and someday defeat Future Aku. eventually, Jack returns to the guardian portal at some point in the future. He defeats the Guardian in a short and unceremonious fight, but he's just there to look through the portal. He peers into it, and witnesses the restored world which Ashi is responsible for. Then, the scene through the portal changes, to the inside of the portal cave in the other time. The guardian lies defeated in the background, and a shadowed figure wearing a sword approaches the portal from the other side. The figure throws the sword directly at the 'screen' as though it's being thrown through the portal, and shit cuts to credits

like, it'd be nice if Aku gets his shit wrecked in both the past and the future, but I kinda want Jack to stay in the future, y'know? lol.

Veelk

Banned
It is done. I have finally finished watching all of the old Samurai Jack.

There are a lot of unique and incredible episodes nevertheless. It made me happy. It made me sad. It made me laugh. I think my absolute favorite is The Haunted House one. I was legit scared of the demon at some points. I would probably be willing to watch the series over again in a year if I had the HD versions of it. The art style is simplistic, but the blurriness of 480p can really hurt it sometimes. But it's visual creativity is it's greatest asset. You legitimately felt like Jack could do just about anything within the context of this world.

Really good show, but even with just 4 episodes, I still consider season 5 to be be the best. Because 99% of the time, sequential storytelling is just better, since it brings consequences to things happening. I wonder what Gendy is gonna do after this.

Acrylic7

It is done. I have finally finished watching all of the old Samurai Jack.

There are a lot of unique and incredible episodes nevertheless. It made me happy. It made me sad. It made me laugh. I think my absolute favorite is The Haunted House one. I was legit scared of the demon at some points. I would probably be willing to watch the series over again in a year if I had the HD versions of it. The art style is simplistic, but the blurriness of 480p can really hurt it sometimes. But it's visual creativity is it's greatest asset. You legitimately felt like Jack could do just about anything within the context of this world.

Really good show, but even with just 4 episodes, I still consider season 5 to be be the best. Because 99% of the time, sequential storytelling is just better, since it brings consequences to things happening. I wonder what Gendy is gonna do after this.

Have you seen Symbionic Titan yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom