• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Santa Monica is working on a new IP unrelated to God of War

Draugoth

Gold Member

• Sony Santa Monica may be developing a new IP, unrelated to God of War, according to a developer's LinkedIn page.
  • Cory Barlog has been rumoured to be working on a space-themed IP for years.
  • Sony Santa Monica has not confirmed any details about their upcoming projects, leaving fans to speculate.
This reference to a new IP is found on a LinkedIn profile, with the relevant section reading as follows: "Santa Monica Studios presented the opportunity of coming back as Character Supervisor, looking after the entire Character Development pipeline, on their new IP, so here I am, thrilled to be back, working again with the crew and pushing Characters in videogames together."

IMG_20240803_155510.jpg
Screenshot_2024-08-03-15-16-40-53_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

Fake

Gold Member
Are modern devs sure don't want to kill Kratos before move on to another IP? Maybe will be your last chance.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
Pretty easy to find the guy's name. Not sure why it's crossed out. Anyway, looking forward to whatever they're making.

Robb

Gold Member
Sony confirmed that SSM is only making SP games.
Have they? I’ve only read that their big ‘singleplayer’ studios will be “focused” on singleplayer games. But we already know both Insomniac and Naughty Dog have been working on GAAS/Multiplayer alongside their singleplayer content. Wouldn’t surprise me to see the same pattern with SM.

nial

Have they? I’ve only read that their big ‘singleplayer’ studios will be “focused” on singleplayer games. But we already know both Insomniac and Naughty Dog have been working on GAAS/Multiplayer alongside their singleplayer content. Wouldn’t surprise me to see the same pattern with SM.
This was back in May.
7hCbEzz.png

And yes, Insomniac and Naughty Dog were also working on GaaS, but both got cancelled, so they're just SP-focused now.
Guerrilla does both, hence it being in the 'Multi-Genre' category.

Robb

Gold Member
This was back in May.
7hCbEzz.png

And yes, Insomniac and Naughty Dog were also working on GaaS, but both got cancelled, so they're just SP-focused now.
Guerrilla does both, hence it being in the 'Multi-Genre' category.
Ah okay, yeah I personally wouldn’t interpret “focused” as exclusively making singleplayer content.

Just as with ND or Insomniac their main focus is/was Spider-Man and The Last of Us but they can still have side projects that are something entirely different (I.e. projects that are not their main focus).

But that’s just my interpretation.

nial

Ah okay, yeah I personally wouldn’t interpret “focused” as exclusively making singleplayer content.
The thing is that's what it means, because Sony also included a 'Multi-Genre' category below; we know that Guerrilla is working on both SP and GAAS projects, so that's why they're not part of the SP-focused category.

Robb

Gold Member
The thing is that's what it means, because Sony also included a 'Multi-Genre' category below; we know that Guerrilla is working on both SP and GAAS projects, so that's why they're not part of the SP-focused category.
Hope you’re right!
Way To Go Thumbs Up GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably some kind of single dad simulator. Work two jobs, come home to a brat giving you life lessons in parenthood.

When it's time to fix a leaky pipe, file income tax, and write a will, your kid will have all the answers.

StueyDuck

haven't we've known this for a long long time, I'm sure Cory himself said he isn't working on GoW and has his own project.

StueyDuck

After Ragnarok I don’t have much faith in their next game.
the issue for most with Ragnarok is that it is very much a classic sequel to a game, one we would have seen in the PS2 era of gaming. People today expect a sequel to be 500x better than the original with visual fidelity that was beyond the scope of what the original could achieve. That was never gonna happen whilst targeting the ps4 and changing hands to a new director.

Being on PS4 and not being a powerhouse for the recently released PS5 also hurt it for many.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
the issue for most with Ragnarok is that it is very much a classic sequel to a game, one we would have seen in the PS2 era of gaming. People today expect a sequel to be 500x better than the original with visual fidelity that was beyond the scope of what the original could achieve. That was never gonna happen whilst targeting the ps4 and changing hands to a new director.

Being on PS4 and not being a powerhouse for the recently released PS5 also hurt it for many.
My issue actually the core game and story, I dont give rat ass about graphical fidelity. The game was chore to play with lengthy story section draaaaaged on and on and Atreus sections absolutely sucked ass and waste my time with puzzles which wont even give me fucking time solve it myself.

The worse part is they keep building up to Ragnarok but in the end it amount to nothing, absolulty NOTHING.....When I finished the game it give me no satisfaction and I felt like I just wasted my time.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

My issue actually the core game and story, I dont give rat ass about graphical fidelity. The game was chore to play with lengthy story section draaaaaged on and on and Atreus sections absolutely sucked ass and waste my time with puzzles which wont even give me fucking time solve it myself.

The worse part is they keep building up to Ragnarok but in the end it amount to nothing, absolulty NOTHING.....When I finished the game it give me no satisfaction and I felt like I just wasted my time.
I mean... many ps2 game sequels were of the same ilk. We all remember the great sequels but most sequels were usually worse than the first because they didn't know how to capitalise on what made the original great. Or in many cases the ip would change hands. Ragnarok felt very much like a ps2 style sequel. And while it has its flaws its hardly a bad game, it's just not an interesting one

You can see they wanted to pump out a sequel and not really incubate the game properly.

Danjin44

I mean... many ps2 game sequels were of the same ilk. We all remember the great sequels but most sequels were usually worse than the first because they didn't know how to capitalise on what made the original great. Or in many cases the ip would change hands. Ragnarok felt very much like a ps2 style sequel. And while it has its flaws its hardly a bad game, it's just not an interesting one

You can see they wanted to pump out a sequel and not really incubate the game properly.
No God of War 2 was vastly better game than original God of War and God of War III from gameplay perspective was much better game (even tho story was complete nonsense).

I absolutely HATED Ragnarok, it was just not fun to play, I did one playthrough and I never want to look at it again.

StueyDuck

No God of War 2 was vastly better game than original God of War and God of War III from gameplay perspective was much better game (even tho story was complete nonsense).

I absolutely HATED Ragnarok, it was just not fun to play, I did one playthrough and I never want to look at it again.
Again... we remember the good sequels.

Go back and play most ps2 sequels that weren't the 9/10 AAA games.

Most sequels were shite.

Ragnarok is a totally fine and playable game. It's just nothing new or interesting.

Danjin44

Go back and play most ps2 sequels that weren't the 9/10 AAA games.
I played HD remasters I enjoyed them a lot, in fact both God of war 2 and God of War 3 aged REALLY well.

I can still play it today I enjoyed them but with Ragnarok I dont think I can ever replay that slog again.

Humdinger

The idea of a high-budget science fiction game sounds good. I'm leery of the studio, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and judgment reserved.

SkylineRKR

I played HD remasters I enjoyed them a lot, in fact both God of war 2 and God of War 3 aged REALLY well.

I can still play it today I enjoyed them but with Ragnarok I dont think I can ever replay that slog again.

For a while I thought 2018 is the best God of War game. Mechanically the combat is very sound.

But then I replayed God of War 3. Its simplicity, pacing, lack of filler, replayability... excessive gore is something else. Its fun. It beats loot and damage numbers, endless banter and backtracking, walking scenes, no boss variety, no gore... God of War 3 is better.

Top Bottom