• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Santa Monica is working on a new IP unrelated to God of War

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
There is a key difference though:

TLOU2 was review bombed after people were angry at the bait and switch trailers, when they saw the whole story leaked before the release. Since it was a terrible story they were pissed at it.

Hogwwarts Legacy was review bombed by Twitter psychopaths that were never going to play/buy it because they don't play games.

This is true that they had different reasons, but irrelevant imho.

Some were mad at the trailer (i actually don't care and think it was brilliant ala Terminator 2 trailer to misdirect) , but most seem to latch on to religious and political stuff .

Both need help lol

We've known this for years. It's why Cory didn't direct Ragnarok.
^ This. I'm not sure why this is "news" I though for sure this was already a known thing they had a new IP coming out

Roronoa Zoro Roronoa Zoro "To say something has no flaws" ? LOL when the fuck did I say that? lol huh?

"I can trust a 1/10 for that game a lot easier than a 10/10"

Thats you then bud lol

I can't trust either score if they made the review within 5 minutes of the game releasing lol

I...I even say this in the post....so I'm not sure what you are saying as I'm saying those reviews good or bad are sus as that time frame isn't enough to play a whole game, but shit if you can take a 1/10 review seriously, clearly you are deep in that culture war yourself man.

Going to have to put you on that ignore man until you set sail for that One Piece =)

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
This is true that they had different reasons, but irrelevant imho.

Some were mad at the trailer (i actually don't care and think it was brilliant ala Terminator 2 trailer to misdirect) , but most seem to latch on to religious and political stuff .

Both need help lol

^ This. I'm not sure why this is "news" I though for sure this was already a known thing they had a new IP coming out

Roronoa Zoro Roronoa Zoro "To say something has no flaws" ? LOL when the fuck did I say that? lol huh?

"I can trust a 1/10 for that game a lot easier than a 10/10"

Thats you then bud lol

I can't trust either score if they made the review within 5 minutes of the game releasing lol

I...I even say this in the post....so I'm not sure what you are saying as I'm saying those reviews good or bad are sus as that time frame isn't enough to play a whole game, but shit if you can take a 1/10 review seriously, clearly you are deep in that culture war yourself man.

Going to have to put you on that ignore man until you set sail for that One Piece =)
More "I know you are but what am I" like seriously I was the one to call out the culture war crap cause the director of the game is deep in it.

The crap storytelling is defended with that crap

EDMIX

i believe in review bombing, while thinking it’s stupid. lol

lol damn fox! lol

Ima tell people this is you now lol

giphy.webp

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Honestly and after the last God of War games, I could not care less about what they're working on next. They might surprise me of course and make something I didn't expect them to make, but I'm not holding my breath.

EDMIX

Honestly and after the last God of War games, I could not care less about what they're working on next. They might surprise me of course and make something I didn't expect them to make, but I'm not holding my breath.
Who knows, with new IP, I tend to be more lenient as after all, it is a new IP.

I didn't care much for Uncharted and really only liked 2, but LOVE The Last Of Us series.

So who knows with this new space IP. It might be wildly different then anything in God Of War IP.

So I want the surprise

Varteras

What if they gave Kratos tits?

d0huphm4vwe61.jpg

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Who knows, with new IP, I tend to be more lenient as after all, it is a new IP.

I didn't care much for Uncharted and really only liked 2, but LOVE The Last Of Us series.

So who knows with this new space IP. It might be wildly different then anything in God Of War IP.

So I want the surprise
Well, with the new IP they're for sure won't turn a much better games of the past into something I don't like so.... we'll see.

What if they gave Kratos tits?
It won't change a thing for me cuz I don't like their open world, terrible camera and combat design along with tedious and boring af backtracking and traversal mechanics.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I meeeeeeeaaaannnn...

Stellar-Blade_2024_07-25-24_004.jpg

....they paid for this.

They also let us watch two dudes go at it in TLOU2 :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Well of COURSE they allow the latter but yes they like the third party stuff to appropriately distance themselves. Era raised HELL over that tho so surely they will never allow it again regardless of the massive sales of Stellar Blade! What are they a company trying to make money!?

nial

Cory has been on this since 2018. Crazy. 6 years already. Videogames are completely unsustainable.
Most of the studio was working on God of War Ragnarok, and now that they're done with GOW, they can begin with this next project.

T0minator

Cory has been on this since 2018. Crazy. 6 years already. Videogames are completely unsustainable.
There's two teams at Santa Monica. Cory's team and another director lead team. I should see their new IP being revealed and releases within a year. The days of revealing a game and waiting forever for the release are coming to an end for Sony. They're revealing and release within a smaller window now.

2025 for a new IP from Santa Monica and Naughty Dog are very possible. Timelines add up

mrqs

Most of the studio was working on God of War Ragnarok, and now that they're done with GOW, they can begin with this next project.

I know. What I’m saying is that they had 5-6 years to get things rolling with a team working on it full time. This is an insane ask for basically anyone on earth. Cory and a small team were focused on that since 2018.

My issue actually the core game and story, I dont give rat ass about graphical fidelity. The game was chore to play with lengthy story section draaaaaged on and on and Atreus sections absolutely sucked ass and waste my time with puzzles which wont even give me fucking time solve it myself.

The worse part is they keep building up to Ragnarok but in the end it amount to nothing, absolulty NOTHING.....When I finished the game it give me no satisfaction and I felt like I just wasted my time.
As I have said in other GoW Ragnarok thread.

I too agree that graphics were fine. I had my wow moments here and there. Gameplay? Similar stuff we had in 2018, no issues there.

Issues with Ragnarok:
1. Pacing - it felt all over the place.
2. Switching characters - while it made sense in Spider-Man 2 (besides graffiti chick), it absolutely did not make sense in GoW at all, instead of immersion they achived throwing pacing even further all over the place and no immersion from me. I'm kinda worried Sony Studios will put character switches in all their games. Be it Insomiac or SMS.
3. While I get character development and all, I got a feeling Kratos was too soft. In 2018 I felt manly, like I could rip a part the world, emotional with blades of chaos and even further manliness down the road. Pacing was ok. Story wise it was good, nothing fancy and it didn't hype it self like it would be.
4. I would put your words about Ragnarok here. Huge build up like it would be such an epic event. And yeah.

General story board seems kind of good for Ragnarok, but the choices and execution of details... And final part. I get it was made during covid and all and shit ton of support studios had to well support but it kinda feels like writer and director should say that some stuff is off and that this needs more cooking. Cory could have called this and that out but we will never know.

Here's my longer rant if someone is curious in previous thread.

Anyways I graded the game lower than 2018, moved on. Now I'm more curious about Cory's new IP. And thats that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom