• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia soccer team doesn't line up for London terror minute of silence

Mimosa97

The Saudi Arabian football team were booed by Australian supporters after they failed to properly line up for a minute's silence in honour of the victims of the London Bridge terror attacks.
According to Adam Peacock, who works as a presenter for Fox Sports in Australia, the Asian Football Confederation approved the minute’s silence against the wishes of Saudi Arabia.

The Football Federation of Australia were then unable to persuade Saudi Arabian officials to agree to participate in the tribute.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...otball-team-fail-line-minutes-silence-honour/

Horrible horrible people. You really have to be the scum of the earth to refuse to honor the memory of innocent victims. What a fucked up thing to do. Makes my blood boil.

How are we not boycotting the saudi government already ? The saudis and their wahabi ideology are the worst thing to ever happen to the muslim world. Fuck all of them to oblivion.

kmax

I'll reiterate, as long as we do business with these guys, nothing will change.

* We know that they're the greatest sponsor of terror.
* We know that they want nothing more than to spread their cancerous Wahabism.

As long has they have that black gold though, the status quo will remain.

jelly

Theresa May, what you going to do, oh that's right, give them the red carpet and sell them arms.

just want to say that the minuet of silence is forbidden in Islam, because its considered as Honoring the Dead which is forbidden. maybe that's the reason.

T.v

Sure, it might be a bit disrespectful, but they should not be forced or shamed to participate in this. And if they truly did hold their silence, as another poster stated, that's showing respect enough for me.

Title is all kinds of misleading.

It doesn't say they refused the minutes silence, just that they refused to line up.

SA can go fuck themselves, but there's really no need to be misleading with the title when we know most people won't bother to read beyond that.

Sure, it might be a bit disrespectful, but they should not be forced or shamed to participate in this. And if they truly did hold their silence, as another poster stated, that's showing respect enough for me.
Nope. The "Asian Football Confederation approved the minute’s silence". They manage the game, they set the rules. Saudi Arabia should have not played then if they didn't want to follow the approved events.

They didn't even stand, some continued their warming up. That is not respect.

Dopus

Banned
This is a cultural difference. Minute silences aren't observed in Saudi Arabia, nor is it customary in Islam. Hence the reason why they didn't agree to it. Most of the players did, however, stand still and observe it without lining up.

If the players were directly told not to do it, then this is probably the result of that.

this is an ideological block in their belief system which puts into question their humanism

No, you're just completely ignorant. As usual.

https://islamqa.info/en/120181

Magni

just want to say that the minuet of silence is forbidden in Islam, because its considered as Honoring the Dead which is forbidden. maybe that's the reason.

Google "minute of silence King Abdullah".

They do minutes of silence when it's people they care about.

Griss

All kinds of cultural issues in play that makes me wary of condemning the team / players.

Horrible optics though.

T.v

Nope. The "Asian Football Confederation approved the minute’s silence". They manage the game, they set the rules. Saudi Arabia should have not played then if they didn't want to follow the approved events.

They didn't even stand, some continued their warming up. That is not respect.

The way I see it, participating in the minute of silence is the least you can do, not necessarily to show that you care, but at least showing respect to the victims and those who do. Everything beyond that is personal preference and should never be forced in my opinion. Empathy can not be forced.

Sanjay

Did Islam get a firmware update earlier this year or something? Because in 2016 they did have minutes of silence.

And also when the previous King of Saudi Arabia died. Or is it okay to honor the dead if they're Saudi royalty?

EDIT: Beaten like the Saudi national football team

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Title is all kinds of misleading.

It doesn't say they refused the minutes silence, just that they refused to line up.

SA can go fuck themselves, but there's really no need to be misleading with the title when we know most people won't bother to read beyond that.
Agreed. And its the Saudi football team, not Saudi itself as the title suggests. And they were actually silent.

There are tonnes of issues with the Saudi govt but this story is disingenuous and creates unecessary hatred.

I'll reiterate, as long as we do business with these guys, nothing will change.

* We know that they're the greatest sponsor of terror.
* We know that they want nothing more than to spread their cancerous Wahabism.

As long has they have that black gold though, the status quo will remain.

And we know they do this to destabilize the region, call in their western allies, obliterate it, then take the resources all for profit. Repeat

Condom

The only reasoning I can think of is 'there are terror attacks everywhere in MENA, why silence for this one?'

Edit: And that would arguably be fair seeing as how Kabul for instance had a major attack. Bigger than London. It would then be appropriate though to request a silence for all recent attacks. We'll hear what their reasoning was and what they did or did not suggest soon enough.

Google "minute of silence King Abdullah".

They do minutes of silence when it's people they care about.

Except Al-Ahli Saudi FC paused for a minute of silence ahead of their Qatar Airways Cup match against Barcelona in December 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ore-minutes-silence-for-london-attack-victims

People stop making excuses for the Saudi official's. They know what they did.

wow sorry my bad, someone told me about it and I didn't know that.

MIMIC

Banned
This is a cultural difference. Minute silences aren't observed in Saudi Arabia, nor is it customary in Islam. Hence the reason why they didn't agree to it. Most of the players did, however, stand still and observe it without lining up.

If the players were directly told not to do it, then this is probably the result of that.

Is this true? Can any Muslims confirm? This would have never occurred to me.

how about "pretending" taking a moment of silence? what harm would it do for them to just stand there even if they don't mean it?

lack of respect

Kurtofan

the only explanation given is that it's bad because Western people came up with it. (didn't know we "invented" standing around to pay hommage to someone who died!)

seems ludicrous

Sorral

Embarrassing and disrespectful.

Except Al-Ahli Saudi FC paused for a minute of silence ahead of their Qatar Airways Cup match against Barcelona in December 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ore-minutes-silence-for-london-attack-victims

People stop making excuses for the Saudi official's. They know what they did.

Exactly. They have done it in the past and in local games, so there is nothing ignorant about calling them out.
They know what they are doing and to use the "it's forbidden" excuse is just for convenience.

Sheroking

This post is garbage.

Even if it's not something YOU typically do, adhering to this out of respect is basic human decency. If there was a similar Saudi tradition and they wanted to do it, the Aussie players and officials would have totally adhered.

Saudia Arabia refuses minute of silence in honour of London terror attack victims

Saudia Arabian [Football Team] refuses [to line up during] a minute of silence in honour of London terror attack victims.

- might want to narrow down that title just a bit.

Kinyou

Still doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't participate properly. When you're in a foreign country you usually participate in their customs when asked. It's also not like lining up would have been demeaning or anything like that.

Condom

Is this true? Can any Muslims confirm? This would have never occurred to me.

I don't think it's common to do it, especially compared to how often it happens in the west. But it is not forbidden or something, see the examples of the death of the king of Saudi Arabia.

The argument that they are visiting is good too, it's about respect to the country hosting the game.

Dopus

Banned
This post is garbage.

Even if it's not something YOU typically do, adhering to this out of respect is basic human decency. If there was a similar Saudi tradition and they wanted to do it, the Aussie players and officials would have totally adhered.

It's not "garbage" because what you're asking is adherence to something that isn't in accord with the religion. Moreover, this probably wasn't a decision by the players themselves in the first place.

It's not "garbage" because what you're asking by adherence to something that isn't in accord with the religion.

nobody is asking them to change religion,
they were just asked them for one minute of silence standing quietly for one little minute

if you can't give one minute of standing still, then there is something wrong in the Respect Scale

Wabba

Don't think they refused, it just looks like they where not briefed before the game. They gave a minute silence but they diden't do it an formation like Australia.

Don't see the problem here.

Top Bottom