• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

explodet

I'm frankly surprised at how the term 'Euro-jank' is almost a prolific term.
Pat and Liam knew the term but Woolie didn't.

I was feeling Euro-jank in the SNES days.

I already own pretty much every Star Wars game on Steam, so have at 'em

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1089525.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Star Wars Empire At War: Gold Pack -- MB-9CA15D65E91E7626 - Taken by Regginator. 1 entrants total.
Star Wars Battlefront II -- MB-31689BB06D42409B - Taken by Red Hood. 1 entrants total.
Star Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces II -- MB-A3F2E6316A3CB999
Star Wars: Dark Forces -- MB-43BACC22CFC30850

t1457480374z1.png

Moonlight

Banned
It's not going to be anymore distracting than SFV since SFV is literally just Riot's model. Obviously, it'll be a downgrade from the original vision for monetization, but LoL doesn't have the worst F2P model in the world, and I doubt whatever RT's being retooled into is going to be significantly shittier in that regard.

The game'll be a lot more successful in LoL's clothing, too. Well, assuming that's what this really just means.

tsundoku

I'm frankly surprised at how the term 'Euro-jank' is almost a prolific term.
Pat and Liam knew the term but Woolie didn't.

I was feeling Euro-jank in the SNES days.

Euro Jank is probably tied deeply to years of weird framerates like 50hz and resolution caps like "not 1080p"

Also Marc ended up being a really cool guest on the podcast. All Dubs Are Bad (objectively) so I was really not looking forward to Woolie talking up a Necalli that I desperately flipped to Japanese with 15 other voices as soon as I got the game booted. But Marc sounds like he has worked in game audio and game scripts for years that aren't mentioned on his IMDB that looks like it was filled out by team4star weebs. He was chill and shot the shit with the guys, got his words in when he could and seemed experienced at guesting on podcasts / voip meeting style stuff.

rip rising thunder

Its the best thing that could have happened to it. It was going to have to implement some F2P model to compete with KI / SFV and the LoL waifus are (although in a shitty dota clone) way more interesting than boring stupid robots

Edzi

Euro Jank is probably tied deeply to years of weird framerates like 50hz and resolution caps like "not 1080p"

Also Marc ended up being a really cool guest on the podcast. All Dubs Are Bad (objectively) so I was really not looking forward to Woolie talking up a Necalli that I desperately flipped to Japanese with 15 other voices as soon as I got the game booted. But Marc sounds like he has worked in game audio and game scripts for years that aren't mentioned on his IMDB that looks like it was filled out by team4star weebs. He was chill and shot the shit with the guys, got his words in when he could and seemed experienced at guesting on podcasts / voip meeting style stuff.

That was exactly my fear when I heard who the guest was, but it sounds like it went well so that's good. I'm only about an hour into the podcast so far and he hasn't really said much yet.

Neol

Sad for Rising Thunder but as a person who avidly plays LoL I'm okay with this.

Shouldn't worry about there micro transactions too much as they have a pretty good f2p model.

tsundoku

Super Smash Bros 64 was a boring karate man vs female fighting polygon game with fun gameplay and trash characters before HAL got approval / push to use Nintendo Mascots.

Rising Thunder wouldn't have been more than a sunshower if it launched with those robots.

Edzi

Tiamat's Plot Guide

no

I think I know where he's coming from, though "all dubs are objectively bad" might not have been the best way to put it. It really depends on what you value in voice work/animation, since a dub will always suffer from lip syncing which almost always negatively affects the cadence of their speech or limits how naturally their lines are written.

Though in the case of Necalli, I genuinely think the English VA just did a bad job.

I liked having Marc on mostly for his talk about writing English adaptations. He actually seems like he wants to do a good job and e faithful to the Japanese without slapping a bunch of cheap jokes and memes in. I honestly didn't realize he had a hand in doing writing as opposed to just providing a voiceover.

Skrams

Watched the Let's Watch of Nintendo Direct. It was alright. I still get annoyed at the guys talking over specific points like FE# being sub only. I would of liked to hear any kind of reaction about that and whether any of them cared at all. Also continuing to hate amiibos for things like cards that come packaged with the game, but not hating them for more legit things like locking away the UFO ability in Kirby Planet Robobot. Also the Mini Mario game is free. Yes, it's dumb that it doesn't have a good majority of amiibos that get their own levels.

I think I know where he's coming from, though "all dubs are objectively bad" might not have been the best way to put it. It really depends on what you value in voice work/animation, since a dub will always suffer from lip syncing which almost always negatively affects the cadence of their speech or limits how naturally their lines are written.

Though in the case of Necalli, I genuinely think the English VA just did a bad job.

The subs>dubs thing is nothing new to me, but comments about them all being objectively bad will always be wrong.

Also immediately turning all voices to japanese without even giving them a chance seems weird. Laura Bailey is my gurl.

Anung

Un Rama
I'll add that Fighting Layer was a fun FNF. It's one of those where you discover the game along with them and the game has more stuff going on than expected so the discovery is a lot more fun than usual. They also run through the arcade mode and there's a wacky thing or two.

Street Fighter The Movie was a pretty fine scrublords too.

Will watch! Too many videos to catch up on. Too much Division to try and play.

MrHoot

As I always thought "Man some characters in LoL sure look cool, i wish they were in other games rather than Mobas", that move feels pretty good for me

Breads

Banned
Oh cool I didn't know Marc the Engineer was the voice of Necalli and that he would end up as a guest on the SBF podcast. That's awesome. I always felt like Matt and possibly Woolie and Liam sometimes references Anime Abandon but this kinda sorta confirms my suspicions.

That said go watch it if you like older anime ovas and shit. It's great. Although Marc is more a writer/ background personality you get to see a lot of him on the Nuts & Bolts episodes.

Moaradin

I forgot Rising Thunder was even a thing. It felt like everyone stopped caring about that game before it even left beta. I don't care about LoL at all but maybe the big playerbase and recognized characters will help them a lot.

Jintor

Also immediately turning all voices to japanese without even giving them a chance seems weird. Laura Bailey is my gurl.

It's a genre thing for me. There's almost no games/anime set in high school I can tolerate with english voices since the actual high schools are almost always intensely Japanese. (Exception: Persona 4 for whatever reason)

Skrams

It's a genre thing for me. There's almost no games/anime set in high school I can tolerate with english voices since the actual high schools are almost always intensely Japanese. (Exception: Persona 4 for whatever reason)
Persona 4 had pretty great dubbing and it was the default for vanilla. A lot of us just got use to it as the norm.

And yeah, it's a shift from thing to thing. It's nice for SF since it allows you switch which dub you want for each character. I like Laura Bailey so hearing her as Chun Li is better for myself. It's a good pick and choose system for people who want it.

It's definitely a case by case thing when it comes to certain genres from either anime or games. And when you have cases where the dubs are being recorded at the same time for games like Wonderful 101 or MGR:R or one dub having more focus than the other then the whole topic gets murky.
Vessel spoilers for the next FNF.

SALTY BET 3: WITH A VENGEANCE!

Hope the betting system and shit is finally locked down to being good and not just hoping other people will push up $50 with you.

Persona localization is good because they don't have to match lip flap which gives the writers room to actually write good dialogue. Also, they don't try to hide any of the Japanese elements, which helps it feel authentic even if it's in English.

Is that really even a problem anymore with the lip flaps? I would figure funimation or whoever have the technology to alter how lip flaps work in 2016 and not have to work with the lip flaps they're given.

Edzi

Persona localization is good because they don't have to match lip flap which gives the writers room to actually write good dialogue. Also, they don't try to hide any of the Japanese elements, which helps it feel authentic even if it's in English.

There should be no barriers to them turning it into a mini-podcast with riff-trax elements, because there is absolutely nothing in the game worth seeing/hearing/experiencing/existing.

On the topic of Rising Thunder, has anything actually been announced? I was under the impression that it was a very amicable/benevolent purchase from the view of the devs, but that nothing had really been said about their presumed new project.

If it is a League of Fighters game, it won't stay under wraps for very long. Riot sub-contracts too much of their asset creation for that.

Jintor

Red Garden.

it's anime.

it's lip-synched.

not industry standard

I'm confused if you mean they can't for anime or you're both not exclusively referring to anime or what.

As far as I know anime isn't produced in such a way that the english publishers would be able to alter lip flaps on any bog-standard anime sent over to them unless it's a special case. In any case, publishers shouldn't be altering the lip-flaps anyway - that's the animation houses' job.

sjay1994

Oh boy.

51a8bd7419.jpg

I actually like minecraft but this game is pretty bad

The fact they chose to play this over tales from the borderlands bothers me so much.

Literally the best game telltale has made, better than walking dead season 1 and wolf among us (imo).You don't even need to like Borderlands to appreciate it, the writing in it is stellar and shits on the actual main games writing.All you need to know is Troy Baker and Laura Bailey want to make some bank, and thats it.

And they say they won't play it because they don't know borderlands so they won't appreciate it. No, lets do fucking minecraft instead.

Who thought this was a good idea. WHO?

sjay1994

I'm confused if you mean they can't for anime or you're both not exclusively referring to anime or what.

This might be amazing and also the slowest, most painful death.

Its going to be slow and fucking painful, no one can make this shitshow of an adventure game entertaining. This is going to probably eclipse Despair girls in terms of pacing.

The fact they chose to play this over tales from the borderlands bothers me so much.

Literally the best game telltale has made, better than walking dead season 1 and wolf among us (imo).You don't even need to like Borderlands to appreciate it, the writing in it is stellar and shits on the actual main games writing.All you need to know is Troy Baker and Laura Bailey want to make some bank, and thats it.

And they say they won't play it because they don't know borderlands so they won't appreciate it. No, lets do fucking minecraft instead.

Who thought this was a good idea. WHO?
Honestly, i think they maybe setting us up. It is a long shot but april 1st(april fools) is only 3 weeks away. Though this is wishful thinking on my part

Nazo

Oh boy.

51a8bd7419.jpg

I actually like minecraft but this game is pretty bad

OH MAN. I remember watching a random stream of the first episode of this when it came out awhile ago. I cant remember the last time I cringed so hard at a game.

Its a shame too, if Telltale had actually put the effort in I honestly think they could have made something pretty decent out of Minecraft. But they instead treated it like just another paycheck, and the end result is the whole game feels really cynical in its execution.

I'm still excited for them to play it though. It should be a fun ride.

It's so much easier than stealth pacifism.

Thank god Mankind Divided is fixing a lot of the flaws of the first one, because I could do without Adam Jensen, protein bar junky, and shitty stun weapons.

Hmmm... some how I've completely avoided MD info till now. All i know is the really early trailer they showed and the preorder mess, nothing about the actual game play changes.

On a somewhat related note, I'm going through HR right now, does it have any mods? I could probably just check nexus or something, but if it does and there are any really good ones I'm all for any suggestions.

Jintor

Is it really that big of an issue? Companies that know what they're doing when it comes to dubs like Funimation have ADR directors and script writers that make sure everything works within the lip flaps.

Even when you do, having to work within those confines is a pain in the ass. If you watch a lot of dubs, you'll notice that dialogue gets an awful lot more naturalistic and less forced when characters are offscreen or their lips are otherwise hidden.

Hmmm... some how I've completely avoided MD info till now. All i know is the really early trailer they showed and the preorder mess, nothing about the actual game play changes.
A lot of the ones we've seen so far are really good, but I won't go into detail if you don't want to hear about them.
On a somewhat related note, I'm going through HR right now, does it have any mods? I could probably just check nexus or something, but if it does and there are any really good ones I'm all for any suggestions.
IIRC, there's some graphics mods (like the one they're running in the LP to remove the gold filter), but that's about it.

Even when you do, having to work within those confines is a pain in the ass. If you watch a lot of dubs, you'll notice that dialogue gets an awful lot more naturalistic and less forced when characters are offscreen or their lips are otherwise hidden.
I dunno how much time/money it would cost to redo the lip flaps, but I guess it's expensive enough to make it impractical... or they'd have to fucking get approval from Japan, which is another pain in the ass.

A lot of the ones we've seen so far are really good, but I won't go into detail if you don't want to hear about them.

I don't mind. I'm not avoided it or anything, its just seems people don't talk about it much for w/e reason(at least in my experience). I can't even recall seeing any topics in the Gaming forum since the preorder mess(which might be the reason...). I almost thought they just weren't releasing info or something, which would be weird considering this is SE and every week theres more news about ff15 and shit.

...And then I looked at the steam page and see its not coming out till August. Released pushed back I assume? Guess that explains some of that.

I don't mind. I'm not avoided it or anything, its just seems people don't talk about it much for w/e reason(at least in my experience). I can't even recall seeing any topics in the Gaming forum since the preorder mess(which might be the reason...). I almost thought they just weren't releasing info or something, which would be weird considering this is SE and every week theres more news about ff15 and shit.

...And then I looked at the steam page and see its not coming out till August. Released pushed back I assume? Guess that explains some of that.
Yeah, the game getting pushed back and having no real demos since E3 is why no one talks about it.

As for the gameplay changes, they've got Crysis style real time gun customization, the non-lethal weapons are now augs and have better range, and there might be a Dishonored style dashing mechanic for map traversal. That's all I can remember seeing from the E3 videos a long time ago.

Top Bottom