• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Veal said:
So uh, Anne's kinda hot in this movie.

I'd smang.
-Who-Animated-gif-arrested-development-9659488-432-240.gif

way more

Scullibundo said:
The funniest things in the movie are always based on the delivery.

'Gelato isn't vegan?
ITS MILK 'N EGGS, BITCH.

I especially love

*INTENSE CLOSE UP ON GIDEON'S EYES* SCOTT PILGRIM!!

...Heeeeey buddy!

Yeah, everyone laughing at delivery was what made it annoying for the uninitiated. It's like when you go to the midnight showing of a film and the entire audience laughs or cheers at every line or character introduction. When "Bread makes you fat?" gets a standing ovation I must conclude it was a huge sub-plot in the comics and I'm not getting the full reference.

Asian girl : I want you to meet my parents
Scott: Do they approve of you dating a westerner? *Huge applause*
Asian girl: We will be having dinner
Scott: Chinese food? *Huge applause*

Shit Scott, why not ask how she sees with her squinty eyes?

I figure on cable this film will play a lot better. It's episodic structure and quick jokey rhythm make it perfect of TNT. -- This is me saying the film was pretty fun.

Altazor

Platy said:
All deleted scenes including the alternative ending are now on youtube ! =D
Part 3 + Ending

holy shit, that whole alternate 1up/try again scene with monologue added was fuckin' ace, especially scott calling gideon and wallace's "go kick his ass... oops, sorry!" :lol

jediyoshi

mac said:
Yeah, everyone laughing at delivery was what made it annoying for the uninitiated. It's like when you go to the midnight showing of a film and the entire audience laughs or cheers at every line or character introduction. When "Bread makes you fat?" gets a standing ovation I must conclude it was a huge sub-plot in the comics and I'm not getting the full reference.

This line of reasoning can make any comedy sound dumb.

EYEL1NER

Scullibundo said:
The funniest things in the movie are always based on the delivery.

'Gelato isn't vegan?
ITS MILK 'N EGGS, BITCH.
That and the second time Young Neil says "He punched the highlights out of her hair!" The delivery was excellent, it reminded me of something from the original Night of the Living Dead that Barbara would have said or when the chick parole officer in Sin City says "He made me watch!!!"

I just rented the BR disc and watched it a second time. My buddy just got back from 6+ months working with SOF forces in Afghanistan and had never heard of it, so I told him he had to watch it.

mac said:

Asian girl : I want you to meet my parents
Scott: Do they approve of you dating a westerner? *Huge applause*
Asian girl: We will be having dinner
Scott: Chinese food? *Huge applause*

Shit Scott, why not ask how she sees with her squinty eyes?

I figure on cable this film will play a lot better. It's episodic structure and quick jokey rhythm make it perfect of TNT. -- This is me saying the film was pretty fun.

The uninitiated to comedy? What the hell has Schwartzman's delivery got to do with knowing the comics?

i think both scott and ramona are bad for everyone, and knives is the only good one until scott breaks up with her. Really didn't like Ramona's character in the movie that much.

layzie1989 said:
i think both scott and ramona are bad for everyone, and knives is the only good one until scott breaks up with her. Really didn't like Ramona's character in the movie that much.

I think what really comes across for me is that no one is really good or bad, they're just people trying to do the best they can to find love and sometimes you f*** up.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World isn't a movie about characters. There's next to no reason for anybody to say Ramona or Knives is better for Scott by the end of the movie, because neither of them have any real depth to them, and their relationships have no real emotion. You're pretty much required to take you knowledge of the characters from the comics and apply them to the film, because as a stand alone movie SPvTW is pretty atrocious in terms of giving you any real sense of attachment to the characters beyond "he's funny" or "she's hot". Having read the comics I can get past this, if I hadn't I'd have a pretty low opinion of the screenplay and directing.

Platy

big ander said:
The SP ending was actually pretty conclusive. Both the theatrical ending and the alternative ending.

Yeah ? So then explained if
the game had a GAME OVER or they put in more coins ??????? xD

butter_stick said:
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World isn't a movie about characters. There's next to no reason for anybody to say Ramona or Knives is better for Scott by the end of the movie, because neither of them have any real depth to them, and their relationships have no real emotion. You're pretty much required to take you knowledge of the characters from the comics and apply them to the film, because as a stand alone movie SPvTW is pretty atrocious in terms of giving you any real sense of attachment to the characters beyond "he's funny" or "she's hot". Having read the comics I can get past this, if I hadn't I'd have a pretty low opinion of the screenplay and directing.

I disagree, I hadn't read any of scott pilgrim when i saw it in theaters and I still loved it and got attached to the characters. But maybe i'm just shallow lol

Matt_C

enzo_gt said:
Team Lisa or go home.
+1

My choice for Lisa's part would be played by Avril Lavigne. Seriously, it would be interesting for her to play
as the only lady in his life who never wanted to make Scott jealous or have hard feelings against him.

RadioHeadAche said:
Team Wallace or bust.

I do not think Wallace was that into him,
especially he juggles with more partners in the series in a few weeks versus Scott's entire life. Scott hangs out with him due to free sushi and Wallace knowing Scott's brother in the comics.

I'm not saying you can't like or dislike the characters, but when it comes to relationships there's not really all that much depth to who would be "best" for Scott beyond whether you find white hipster girls or asian girls attractive. My preferred ending is Ramona because 1) it makes more sense based on the comics and 2) she's more attractive.

Truant

I liked the gay roommate and the Seinfeld scene, but the rest felt pretty forced. Cera was not as bad as I expected, though.

AniHawk

Saw the alternate ending... the pairing works better in the movie, but the way the theatrical ending was done was far stronger. I think I'd take the theatrical ending over the alternative just for that reason.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
jediyoshi said:
This..

..until I was looking through my chan folder and realized Pill has done a topless scene in a movie before and now my image of Kim is tarnished!
Can't separate the actress from the role eh? Too bad.

50CYP.png

big ander

Platy said:
Yeah ? So then explained if
the game had a GAME OVER or they put in more coins ??????? xD
Wat? :lol

I'd disagree on the movie characters having no depth. And that's not just me. I have non-comics friends who think the same.

Alison Pills topless scene is nice but the movie it's in is pretty goddamn awful. Can't believe I watched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom