• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screw DS. Piss off PSP. Its all about the NGPC!!!

Belfast

Anyone else seen this? I've seen it locally in two different shops. Basically, it seems some company has been repackaging old Neo-Geo Pocket Colors packed-in with 3 games (Metal Slug, Fatal Fury, and some other game I can't remember) for $75. On the package itself, they don't say anything about it being an NGPC, but it clearly looks like one, not to mention the games and the NGPC logo on the actual unit. Also, there seems to be a separate 4-pack of games. Despite the obvious lack of support and the attempt to get rid of remaining stock from a few years back, I wouldn't mind picking one up this time around if I had the money for it. :\

Anyone else seen these, though?

Trakball

Banned
Yeah I see them at Fry's all the time.

I love my NGCP but with the DS coming (I never jumped on the GBA train), I think the lil' dude is gonna be retired...

luxsol

Yeah, they're legal. You should buy them if you see them.

They're pretty much what Neo Geo took back from retailers back when they folded up and now they're bundling them to sell. I haven't seen them for a year.

Baron

Sorry to say, but I feel the NGPC has not aged well. I finally sold mine off a few months ago on ebay. It has a crisp screen and a well-designed control stick, but the lack of lighting for the screen and a library that, at one point was admittedly very nice, but now has been surpassed by the GBA. Metal Slug Advance looks to finallly put the NGPC Metal Slugs out to pasture, and SFA3 and the latest KOF on GBA are arguably much better than MOTM. I miss MOTM's minigames, though.

I enjoyed it for what it was for its time, but time marches on.

Baron

What about Capcom vs Snk?

I remember that pocket fighter.

MOTM = Match of the Millenium = SNK vs. Capcom. Is that what you are referring to?

Capcom vs. SNK was never released for NGPC, but SNK vs. Capcom was. Confusing, I agree.

Baron

What really epitomizes my disappointment with the NGPC and also shows the limitations of its dated technology is Puzzle Bobble. I was righteously hyped for a cool handheld version of that game, one of my favorite arcade games.

However, the game was damn near unplayable, not because of poor control, but because it is near impossible to differentiate the different colors of the bubbles. Huge misstep. The system needed a backlight ala Turbo Express and twice as many colors displayed onscreen, and then it'd have....lasted a few months longer than it did before being crushed by the Game Boy juggernaut.

neptunes

Baron said:
MOTM = Match of the Millennium = SNK vs. Capcom. Is that what you are referring to?

Capcom vs. SNK was never released for NGPC, but SNK vs. Capcom was. Confusing, I agree.

yeah, that's what I was referring to :p

Fun little game it was.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
When will we get a new Card Fighter's Clash? Damn I loved that game. Imagine it on Live or w/ wireless DS play.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Baron said:
What really epitomizes my disappointment with the NGPC and also shows the limitations of its dated technology is Puzzle Bobble. I was righteously hyped for a cool handheld version of that game, one of my favorite arcade games.

If you really want a good handheld version of Puzzle Bobble, the Palm OS version is pretty good.

But the best handheld version of Puzzle Bobble on a portable game system was the Game Gear version. Great port of the original from Taito...easy to see, plays great, and even had some voice.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
belgurdo said:
MOTM and Gals Fighters destroyed what's on the GBA now (cept for SFA3)

Not Gals Fighters (it's fun though), but SvC MOTM still really does hold up well play-wise. I can play it emulated on my Tapwave Zodiac 2 with a backlit screen, too. :D

But the "triple threat" of SFA3, Guilty Gear X, and KOF EX2 are better than the NGP fighters IMO.

I would have loved to have seen a GBA remake of MOTM with more color and improved sound quality.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
My only NGPC disappointment was the lackluster version of Baseball Stars. Other than that, I definitely got my money's worth from it.

Spike

Guileless said:
When will we get a new Card Fighter's Clash? Damn I loved that game. Imagine it on Live or w/ wireless DS play.

Oh god yes!! You, sir, just earned my respect. :)

ferricide

Guileless said:
basically, i can't forgive SNKP for existing until we get one of these.

ourumov

I only own MOTM and Sonic Pocket but I have to admit that both games are awesome and that justify the purchase of the system.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
NGPC was the first handheld with wireless multiplayer too. We've got some adapters in the office. Never found a game that works with them, but hey.

Top Bottom