• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Unlimited |OT| Unleash your inner copyright infringement

Kazerei

Banned
Pardon my stupidity but... how do I reverse the direction that an item is facing?

This would've been helpful for me on the Paper & Penitentiary level for instance. One of the full starite challenges required me to break out of jail, but I had to get past a large spiked steel ball in order to do so. I couldn't damage the ball and I couldn't use adjectives on it either iirc. The 3rd clue for that particular segment of the challenge recommended that I stay on the 2nd floor and used a fan to push the ball away. But the fan always faces to the left, so it would push the ball to the left... into the locked door that I want to reach. Eventually I made an invincible fan and somehow managed to flip it upside down so that it would blow the ball to the right instead, and I beat the rest of the challenge without a problem. Adjectives like "flipped", "reversed" and "reversible" didn't work, they would either not register in the database or would cause the fan to remain facing to the left.

In the 3DS version, the L and R buttons will flip/rotate the selected object. Surely there's something similar in the PC version?

JazzmanZ

Phoenix is taking a long time so I made another character someone requested on Steam.

SHUMA GORATH!

He laughs, poses like a smarmy bastard, bounces around and if he grabs someone he summons up the chaos dimension and laughs while using it.

0vLPo.jpg

Waste of flesh!
I wonder if you plan on making Galactus.

Blizzard

Banned
I think there's a rotate button on PC as you're placing objects, but I don't know if there is a horizontal flip button.

ScOULaris

Awesome rant.

I feel pretty much exactly the same as you on all accounts. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Pardon my stupidity but... how do I reverse the direction that an item is facing?

This would've been helpful for me on the Paper & Penitentiary level for instance. One of the full starite challenges required me to break out of jail, but I had to get past a large spiked steel ball in order to do so. I couldn't damage the ball and I couldn't use adjectives on it either iirc. The 3rd clue for that particular segment of the challenge recommended that I stay on the 2nd floor and used a fan to push the ball away. But the fan always faces to the left, so it would push the ball to the left... into the locked door that I want to reach. Eventually I made an invincible fan and somehow managed to flip it upside down so that it would blow the ball to the right instead, and I beat the rest of the challenge without a problem. Adjectives like "flipped", "reversed" and "reversible" didn't work, they would either not register in the database or would cause the fan to remain facing to the left.

Um, there's a flip object key. It's Q by default. How hard is it to just look in the control settings?

shaowebb

Um, there's a flip object key. It's Q by default. How hard is it to just look in the control settings?

Q did nothing for me. I went back and checked and you HAVE to be clicking the object you create for Q to flip it otherwise it doesn't work. At least the flip button has been found, but you'd think it'd start working if you hit it the moment it was created.

Blizzard

Banned
God I wish. I mashed every key to no avail. :C

Hmmm...I wonder if I used my pad if I'd gain this magical power?
Or you could just check your controls menu on the second tab. ;) It's Q and E by default on the PC, I think.

Spawn first, then drag the mouse to start placing it, and BEFORE LETTING GO OF THE MOUSE, press Q and E as needed to rotate. Some things (say, a cow) only flip, some things rotate.

shaowebb

Yeah I get it. I was too busy building stuff to bother reading. I just thought that if I hit the key it'd work. I never knew I had to click on the object and hold it down will punching keys to get anything to happen though. Sue me for being eager to build I guess.

EDIT: Also I apparently forgot Shuma's eye color so I fixed that.
XKRU8.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
This game keeps popping into the top 10 selling games on Steam. I've seen it either in the top 10 or just barely outside of it since release. The $29.99 price was a good choice.

Blizzard

Banned
This game keeps popping into the top 10 selling games on Steam. I've seen it either in the top 10 or just barely outside of it since release. The $29.99 price was a good choice.
You're right...during the sale it was dropping down to maybe #30-#50, but now it's #5.

Jackson, if you're reading this thread, I know you probably can't give us numbers, but can you at least say if you've been happy with the sales, pleasantly surprised, a little disappointed, etc.?

Jackson

Hit Q or E. It wasn't in the tutorial. Should have been though.

You're right...during the sale it was dropping down to maybe #30-#50, but now it's #5.

Jackson, if you're reading this thread, I know you probably can't give us numbers, but can you at least say if you've been happy with the sales, pleasantly surprised, a little disappointed, etc.?

I think PewDiePie's play through video has boosted Steam sales in the last couple of days. But it's way to early to talk about sales lol. The game just came out. :)

Hit Q or E. It wasn't in the tutorial. Should have been though.
Hmmm, guess I should've been more precise: I'm playing Scribblenauts Unlimited on WiiU, not on PC. I guess there's another OT for that somewhere? Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

Edit: hah, didn't check the manual, my bad. Guess that'll learn me. I still managed to save Lily though, and I still have a bunch of levels left!

BooJoh

Somebody give me a solid answer please: Is the Wii U version of this worth picking up? My PC likely wouldn't run this very well, so I've been heavily leaning to the Wii U version. The item creating sounds like too much fun!

I'd say it's definitely worth it. You should be able to find it for $50 if you want a physical copy and shop around. The biggest drawback to the Wii U version compared to PC (this coming from someone who owns the Wii U version and not the PC version) seems to be that it's easier to share creations and screenshots on PC. On Wii U you're limited to posting screens on Miiverse (unless you have some other way to screencap from your consoles,) and sharing objects is done from a neat little storefront interface where you have your own custom item shop complete with an avatar of your choosing standing in front for people to see. You can use searches or filters to see shops with the stuff you want, or you can just shuffle out the currently displayed shops for a different set.

Of my four currently-owned Wii U games (NSMBU, Skylanders Giants, Nintendo Land, and Scribblenauts) Scribblenauts is by far my most played so far.

shaowebb

Okay guys I'm close to making a version of Phoenix that can turn into dark phoenix. I already have a loadout that makes her look right, but I need for her to be able to change her clothing red when she goes dark.

The idea is make her spawn the clothes I need upon her going dark and script her to wear them if she sees them...only problem is I cant get anyone to put on clothing or wear any clothing items I create. Does anyone here know of an adjective in the game that will let folks other than maxwell wear clothing if its made? Max can put on all kinds of stuff, but I'm getting nowhere. Its not an option in the equipment section of scripting to let them wear upper or lower body clothing items. You can make them wear backpacks, wings, hats or glasses.

It may exist using a different base because I know a character in the firehouse wore clothing I made. Any help would be good because if this works I can start scripting characters who can spawn clothing and do an outfit change.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Grabbed Shuma. I love that you can get stuff from the workshop and they'll just be waiting for you to summon next time you're in-game.

I don't know what to say other than keep up the good work. All your stuff is amazing.

edit: Love that you saw that comment on the iris and fixed it, holy crap man.

shaowebb

Grabbed Shuma. I love that you can get stuff from the workshop and they'll just be waiting for you to summon next time you're in-game.

I don't know what to say other than keep up the good work. All your stuff is amazing.

Thanks. I'll do my best with Phoenix, but its getting rough turning her dark. I may have to mod something with inherit properties that let them wear clothing if thats possible if no adjective can be found to make people put on clothing they grab. That single element is all thats missing from my design. If I can get that in then I can make a Phoenix capable of going dark with health that counts down. I'm working on improving their ability to shoot flaming feathers.

Im at my family's place right now and I didn't like the ponies on the Workshop. I made this for me and my wife's little sister to play with.

pMUs4.jpg

Flies, destroys clouds,eats fruit and snatches cider.

Came for ponies (for my daughter, of course), did not leave disappointed. Are/will these be available on the Wii U version (the version she's getting for Christmas)?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Came for ponies (for my daughter, of course), did not leave disappointed. Are/will these be available on the Wii U version (the version she's getting for Christmas)?
I think the WiiU version has some other sort of exchange, which means you don't get access to shaowebb's genius :( Surely there are MLP ponies on the Wii U, though.

bryehn

I just used "Cerberus" to solve a puzzle. Are the other games this clever? I really like the whole package. Might buy again on PC just for KB convenience. Could be a great typing game for my daughter in the future.

shaowebb

I think the WiiU version has some other sort of exchange, which means you don't get access to shaowebb's genius :( Surely there are MLP ponies on the Wii U, though.

Im all aflutter guys <3

Glad you all like my stuff. I'll try to make the rest of the ponies too and once you get the Wii U version or whatever PM me and I'll tell you step by step how to make them. Once you have the base done you can modify it pretty easily into the rest of the cast. For the record I don't have cutie marks on the ponies because most are pushing the object limit and because most of the objects only scale so small so most cutie marks would be a combination of a LOT of shapes.

I believe to make the ponies it was ...
  • start with a horse, shrink the body, lengthen the upper leg and shrink the lower leg.
  • Next put out of the body parts folders the plain arm shapes painted to match the bodies so that they don't have any black hooves messing up the way the legs are all solid in color.
  • For the face remove the head (or shrink it and cover it) with the "Head" shape.
  • For the nose I used a "hook" shape and nudged it up to the edge of the face so it'd make the outline of the muzzle.
  • For the eyes I used eggs and covered the original eye dots on the head and then nudged my new eyes into place so that they'd rest on top of the hook creating a lower eyelid effect. I then nudged the eye over so that it allowed the old eye's eyebrow to peak out beside my new eye like an eyelash.
  • Next I used a leaf for the ear and nudged it down so the stem connected to my eye creating the other eyelash.

Thats the template. The rest is using references and figuring out what shapes could be colored to make the hair shapes you need for the rest of the cast.
Rainbow Dash used moons and fangs.
Twilight used paper (lol irony) and a canoe for her back tail
Pinkie Pie used clouds and cotton candy.
Applejack used bushes arm shapes, and a shrunk rod for the hairband. Hat was just circles moons and half circles shoved behind the head.

I hope this helps those of you wanting these characters for your family to play with on your 3DS or Wii U consoles.

Ask me anything and I'll tell you how to recreate these.

EDIT:

Okay apparently it is listed in the game that most clothing ONLY comes in Maxwell's size. Only characters specifically coded for puzzles can wear clothing other than hats and such. HOWEVER, I found the adjective "resurrecting". I may not be able to make Phoenix change colors, but I may be able to make her start out in her Dark Phoenix outfit and once killed she starts her ballistic freakout and all the other stuff I'm cooking up for her.

Cross your fingers. Dark Phoenix may be rising soon.

shaowebb

I have to know. Can Maxwell have a Silver Hammer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIMGgBLOwfg

Yes actually. I found these browsing the steam workshop. Take your pick.

EJaUM.jpg

Also I made Supah Skrull.
tJn8T.jpg

If attacked he makes a firey explosion just like "INFERNOOOO!" Best I could do since you cannot make limbs or anything stretch elastically in this game nor can you make single body parts turn to stone seperate from your character. If I could script adjectives seperately I could create more behaviors but as is just his hyper is possible.

Still fun though. I got his pose down.

EDIT: Sad panda. I had to delete some comments. Some guy keeps bugging me to make Samus shoot beams, but no matter how many times I message him explaining why it isn't feasible he keeps saying I dont understand that he wants me to make the beams seperately.

• The word beam in this game creates a board. I've tried every word I can come up with but cannot recreate the projectile that the laser object shoots to script Samus to fire. Erego no projectile similar to the laser's projectile can be scripted for her.
  • You cannot make one created object spawn another created object. I can't make a haggar that shoots hsien kos. Even if I sculpted together an object that looked like a laserbeam it wouldn't be something I could have Samus fire EVEN IF I MADE IT SEPERATE RANDOM STEAM GUY.
  • If I made her out of a laser YES she could fire the same inherit projectile as her base object but she would have NO animations or walkcycles because she would no longer be modeled from a human. She'd move like crap.
  • If I made a seperate gun arm from a laser so IT could shoot lasers she still couldn't spawn it because one created object cannot spawn another. Ive mentioned this before. You would have to type Samus Aran to make her, then make the other object, then equip her with it. Thats the only way. I said if he really wants it to do it and told him how to make it...he wants me to instead. Geez dude give it a rest.

He posted like 5 messages or something and it was reaching harassment levels of him pestering me. I'll add or do just about anything I can to make these as good as I can for folks and if I discover new stuff I definitely will do my best to add them into my older creations to improve them, but accept when I explain it doesn't work. I tried explaining several times, but it just wasn't getting through. Sorry guy. I did my best and thats all. If I can find the word for the laser weapon's projectile then I'll change it to a beam instead of the charge shot, but I've been at it awhile to no avail. If you wish to help search down the word GAF it'd be useful for future stuff.

I made him this though. Hope the guy is satisfied enough to stop yelling at me in my comments section.

How bout on Wii U?

I beat that part in the penitentiary by shrinking myself, took me a bit though.
In the manual for Scribblenauts Unlimited (page 4), it says to use ZL to rotate an object left, and ZR to rotate an object right. I tried that just now, but neither work, or else I'm not doing it at the right time. The manual says L and R are used for zooming the camera in and out, but they don't do anything and ZL/ZR adjust the camera for me instead.

This seems really weird :(

shaowebb

In the manual for Scribblenauts Unlimited (page 4), it says to use ZL to rotate an object left, and ZR to rotate an object right. I tried that just now, but neither work, or else I'm not doing it at the right time. The manual says L and R are used for zooming the camera in and out, but they don't do anything and ZL/ZR adjust the camera for me instead.

Can you go into the options and customize your controller configuration for the game? Maybe you can edit that in there if it exists.

Jackson

Hold the object with the stylus (or your finger) and hit L or R on the shoulder buttons.

PC is half the price and has all the features the WiiU has, minus the touch pad. I found it to be a no-brainer, and feel WASD fits the game just fine.

Plus, in my head at least the Steam Workshop is more likely to be filled with some pretty cool stuff that isn't moderated as quickly or severely.

shaowebb

PC is half the price and has all the features the WiiU has, minus the touch pad. I found it to be a no-brainer, and feel WASD fits the game just fine.

Plus, in my head at least the Steam Workshop is more likely to be filled with some pretty cool stuff that isn't moderated as quickly or severely.

This really. Keyboard was made for this game and the workshop is great. So easy to browse and search for stuff.

ScOULaris

After noticing that my "Stache Wand" was on the first page of most popular items on Steam Workshop, I was inspired to make some more miscellaneous objects:

The Dead Baby Gun turns its target into a dead, edible baby version of itself.

The Muffin of Nonexistence is a powerful tool, worthy only to those of pure enough heart as to not abuse its power. Anything it touches becomes nonexistent. Use with care.

shaowebb

qw8Fh.jpg

The Muffin of Nonexistence is a powerful tool, worthy only to those of pure enough heart as to not abuse its power. Anything it touches becomes nonexistent. Use with care.

I now wish more than ever I could create an object that could fire another created object. I would friggin CHAINGUN that muffin. I'd run around town committing muff-pocalypse and muffi-cide ever day.

Great job <3

I just used "Cerberus" to solve a puzzle. Are the other games this clever? I really like the whole package. Might buy again on PC just for KB convenience. Could be a great typing game for my daughter in the future.

Super Scribblenauts is awesome. The original, it's okay but Super is way better.

shaowebb

Super Scribblenauts is awesome. The original, it's okay but Super is way better.

The original has the best puzzles but lacks the awesome d pad control scheme or adjectives. By FAR the best puzzles. Apparently a bunch of folks whined they couldn't figure out how to win and they listened to the wrong crowd. Used to be about creatively finding a way around obstacles or threats to get to your prize with the occasional perform a certain action puzzle to get the starite. After that due to the feedback that was silly to listen to it got more "guess the word" or "just summon an object of BLANK type" for the puzzles.

Game series is at its best when you have to creatively get past obstacles or perform tricky actions using the notebook. Heck the first one had the nice room puzzles where you only got so many actions to clear a room and in Super you could get better ranks on each level for using less items. Gave past puzzles replay value.

I miss all these things.

ScOULaris

The original has the best puzzles but lacks the awesome d pad control scheme or adjectives. By FAR the best puzzles. Apparently a bunch of folks whined they couldn't figure out how to win and they listened to the wrong crowd. Used to be about creatively finding a way around obstacles or threats to get to your prize with the occasional perform a certain action puzzle to get the starite. After that due to the feedback that was silly to listen to it got more "guess the word" or "just summon an object of BLANK type" for the puzzles.

Game series is at its best when you have to creatively get past obstacles or perform tricky actions using the notebook. Heck the first one had the nice room puzzles where you only got so many actions to clear a room and in Super you could get better ranks on each level for using less items. Gave past puzzles replay value.

I miss all these things.

I agree completely. The way that the levels and puzzles have been structured since Super Scribblenauts has paled in comparison to those of the original game. Action levels, in particular, are especially missed. Most puzzles in Super and Unlimited boil down to simply summoning an appropriate object and then watching a mini scripted scene play out. They never require actually using objects creatively. Adjectives make these simplistic puzzles even easier because they make almost any object viable. You need something tall that can act as a lightning rod? "Tall conducive chicken" does the trick.

I would give my left arm/nut for an expansion on Unlimited with either a level editor or pre-made action levels.

shaowebb

Someone helped me find the word that lets you shoot lasers like those fired from the laser object!

Its not a noun you can type as her projectile though like "bullet". Its an adjective you can add to an object to make it fire lasers when attacking.
If you want Samus or someone else to shoot lasers add the adjective "Laser" to them either in game or go into their script and set them to "when created" "add adjective to self" "laser".

Have fun folks.

Credit goes to steam user Zati for this adjective discovery.

shaowebb

New creation...MODOK!

YgEOc.jpg

Modok is a real jerk. He flies around, cackles and laughs at violence, investigates science, fires blue exploding jamming bombs, fires white analyze cubes, shoots lasers when attacked, and fires green goo everywhere. He is a complete and utter jerk just like in the game.

EDIT: Holy shit you guys type KILLDOZER!!! They actually added the Killdozer to the game! Its super slow and its a bulldozer with a ton of metal welded to it and it will level the crap out of your problems.

ScOULaris

If "tall conductive chicken" is not creative then I think we have very different definitions of creativity then my friend. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love the flexibility that the adjective system affords the player. I'm the type of person who always tries to solve every puzzle with an unorthodox solution. It's just that when almost every puzzle now is essentially "summon a single object and see if it works" things can get straight-up too easy. I realize that Scribblenauts has never really been about challenge, but I really miss both the full-on action levels from the first game as well as the more physically-oriented puzzles from the original (i.e. return the baby to its king/queen parents across a treacherous landscape). The only reason that people were frustrated by some of the levels in the first game was because the controls/physics hindered the player's ability to easily navigate the environments and control Maxwell. Now that we have these beautiful graphics, smooth controls, and much improved physics, I would LOVE to see a return of the more complex puzzles from the first game.

I don't mean to sound entitled or anything. I love Scribblenauts as a series because its concept is just so strong and it's a fantastic sandbox. I just want to give whatever input I can while one of the devs (you) is actively listening so that future expansions or iterations can provide a little more depth of gameplay, as was shown to work quite well in the original game. I know that I'm not the only person who feels like the style of puzzles in both Super and Unlimited are too straightforward and easy.

Top Bottom