• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Unlimited |OT| Unleash your inner copyright infringement

Shiggy

Published by Nintendo of Europe? Let's me hope for a good translation/localisation this time, but does it mean that there won't be a PC version over here?

Blizzard

Banned
Published by Nintendo of Europe? Let's me hope for a good translation/localisation this time, but does it mean that there won't be a PC version over here?
No PC version would be a shame, and it seems like quite a few people here and on the Steam discussion forum wanted one.

The weird thing is...it's currently possible to be gifted the game on Steam by someone outside the region, right? Or am I mistaken on that? I'd hope that it's just a huge delay until the corresponding console version is out, rather than it being a game that is forever only available to EU people via gifting.

Jackson

So is there any real reason to buy the 3DS version of Scribblenauts (aside from "portability")? As far as I know there's no Nintendo characters and there's no creation mode/Steam Workshop to get the Nintendo characters anyway.

I guess there's the pencil stylus.

EDIT: Oh, there's a level editor. Still a shame the creation software didn't get in.

There's no level editor.

shaowebb

So my wife decided to make something silly for the game and it was funny enough I thought I would share it. Its a wearable item. The first image is a picture of what it is and the second is what was waiting for me when I opened Scribblenauts. I have no idea when she made this as I haven't touched it in a few days due to work, but this broke me pretty hard.

IK5Gb.jpg

Its wearable and emits sparkles.

shaowebb

Hmmm...someone on Steam mentioned that they wished they could wear my Ironman character's armor. I know you can't just make him wearable on the head or body or anywhere because objects on the head will cover the torso, but not the arms or legs and similar problems arise from other such things.

However, if I make a base item out of clothing maxwell can wear, have it inherit properties from it then I may be able to make several seperate items so that people can wear the outfits of things I make. Like make gloves as a base then cover them with Ironman's arms and make that "Ironman arms" and then do the same for the legs, torso, and helmet. If this works it'd mean each area could receive FAR more detailing and it'd be my first "collection".

Im pretty swamped right now with an animation project so I haven't touched this in a few days, but once I finish this up over the weekend I'll see if I can't get this to work. If so then this might become a thing for this game that no ones done yet. Sort of ground breaking and makes the whole "collection" thing really worthwhile.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just don't take the fully functional Iron Guy down ;)

Oddly, there's a Spidey Suit you can wear, but no spider-man

shaowebb

Just don't take the fully functional Iron Guy down ;)

Oddly, there's a Spidey Suit you can wear, but no spider-man

No way will I take him down, but thanks for letting me know you liked him enough to keep him. Just thought I'd do this to when time permits.

EDIT: Its impossible sadly. I tested my theory by making a pair of boots as a base for the ironman boots, then making a shirt as the base for the ironman armor. The idea was start with a wearable object, modify its look, use it as a way to make Maxwell wear the suit.

As it turns out every wearable object in the game has a SEPERATE NON EDITABLE IMAGE that is attached to it for when it is in the worn state. Id put the ironman armor and boots on Maxwell and then suddenly he'd just be wearing the shirt and gloves I used as a base. I discovered this because if you go into the editor to look at your file it has a unique image that shows both its overworld icon and its worn look.

1kvkL.jpg

As you can see it is clearly showing me that the "worn" version of this item looks different. If there is a setting or button I need to push in the editor that lets me toggle between editting the worn and regular object that I've overlooked I'd be overjoyed to hear about it. Since you cannot set an equipment trait to anything other than "wearable on eyes", "wearable on back", "wearable on top of head", or "can be held in hand" this puts a serious damper on making things wearable on the arms, legs or chest like gloves, boots or shirts. I can make the helmet wearable, but thats it.

Sorry guys. If someone knows of a toggle function I didn't know of tell me because I obviously don't read up on my game I just art in it between work. Most I can try for is being able to make it as an avatar alt and If I do that those aren't shareable via steam workshop.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You kidding? He's awesome!

He couldn't beat Supah Skrull without some choice adjectives added, but who can, really?

edit: Huhhh so how does "spidey suit" work?

Miker

So my wife decided to make something silly for the game and it was funny enough I thought I would share it. Its a wearable item. The first image is a picture of what it is and the second is what was waiting for me when I opened Scribblenauts. I have no idea when she made this as I haven't touched it in a few days due to work, but this broke me pretty hard.

IK5Gb.jpg

Its wearable and emits sparkles.

This is amazing. Tell your wife that this is the best thing I've seen all week. Sharing this with my girlfriend now as an excuse to pick up Scribblenauts when it goes on sale.

shaowebb

This is amazing. Tell your wife that this is the best thing I've seen all week. Sharing this with my girlfriend now as an excuse to pick up Scribblenauts when it goes on sale.

I showed her your post and she loved it. Glad you liked her stuff, I know I got a kick out of it too. Looks like I keep helping 5th Cell's sales on this one. Here's hoping I can keep pushing the Steam game further on its creation tools to drive sales even further.

If anyone at 5th cell is watching this these are the only things I'd like to see in a sequel.
  • seperate horizontal and vertical scaling for stamps and objects Im using in the object editor
  • the ability on worn items to seperately edit the worn model in addition to the non worn model's look so I can make downloadable outfits like I was trying with Iron Man
  • Shareable avatar's
  • a paint-like program to let me make custom textures or to custom paint my object
  • more behaviors and scripts
  • more action style stages where I have to get an object from point A to point B or get a starite in so many moves without it being destroyed. Those were challenging and trying to top my records on them were great. Maybe a challenge zone just for this or something.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This game is really fun, but on the Wii U version at least there's one thing that's super lame: custom objects can't create or replace with other custom objects, which completely screwed up my transforming Sailor Moon

BooJoh

This game is really fun, but on the Wii U version at least there's one thing that's super lame: custom objects can't create or replace with other custom objects, which completely screwed up my transforming Sailor Moon

Obviously that's got to do with the fact that someone downloading your object would then have to download any objects it fires, creates, transforms into, etc, which would complicate things a bit.

shaowebb

Its the same on PC. Its a universal thing. I can't have a Haggar that spawns Dormammu. Just everyday objects like pipes or something the developers made. Probably has something related to the file naming since when you save a created object its saved with a number in the order it was placed. Those numbers for other people correspond to things they created so it'd be a mess. At least this is one possible reason why it wasn't done. The word list kind of supersedes my point on that one, but it may still be relative. All I can do is sort of theorize though. I dont have any experience with coding only with animation software and stuff so I don't really have more than a general knowledge of stuff like that. Its why I thought I had found all these glitches related to the word list earlier, but as it turns out it was just errors brought on due to a cloud sync issue I had.

EDIT:
INEnY.jpg

Number 1 for the second week in a row, but this time its Iron Guy at the #1 spot from me where as last week it was my wife's creation Samus Aran! Good times.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cleared a bunch of simple levels last night, was really fun stuff. I particularly liked the reenactment of that one scene in Skyrim except I could save the guy from getting his head chopped off.

Btw, if you haven't added "Quick Flying" to Maxwell yet, I don't know what you think you're playing.

BooJoh

Btw, if you haven't added "Quick Flying" to Maxwell yet, I don't know what you think you're playing.
I prefer to use jetpacks and such, and for my speed boost I just spawn "caffeine" (shows up as a soda) and drink it and you gain the adjective "caffeinated" which makes you fast.

LuffyZoro

I like how Rainbow Dash is the most talked about custom. :p

This looks fun, I got the original Scribblenauts, and might pick this up at the next Steam sale.

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of workshop, Scribblenauts has finally passed DOTA 2 in the number of workshop items (the numbers are now roughly 3500 to 3300). It's also the #8 top seller on Steam at the moment, and might eventually pass Team Fortress 2's 5000+ items.

Of course, DOTA 2 and TF2 items presumably require 3D modeling/complicated stuff, so it's not the same, but I still thought it was cool.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I prefer to use jetpacks and such, and for my speed boost I just spawn "caffeine" (shows up as a soda) and drink it and you gain the adjective "caffeinated" which makes you fast.
But if you add "fiery" to my way you can pretend to be the human torch!

red731

I feel nothing now.
I watched 1:14 of Robbazs Walrus adventure, went on Steam immediately and wanted to buy it disregard no sale.
Not in EU till 2013 I learned :( #%#%@

shaowebb

BREAKTHRU GUYS!

5th cell posted something awesome on their facebook stating that their is one other character in the game other than Maxwell who can wear clothing items. Its one of the developers named "CHRISTINA". Curious about this I checked to see if I could create objects capable of wearing clothing items we make using her as a base with inherit abilities turned on.

aPwsC.jpg

It works. :)
Im trying to find out from 5th cell if there is a way to edit the worn version of a wearable object as well as its base form so that editted tshirts no longer look like armor you made and then turn back into a tshirt when worn.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
BREAKTHRU GUYS!

5th cell posted something awesome on their facebook stating that their is one other character in the game other than Maxwell who can wear clothing items. Its one of the developers named "CHRISTINA". Curious about this I checked to see if I could create objects capable of wearing clothing items we make using her as a base with inherit abilities turned on.

aPwsC.jpg

It works. :)
Im trying to find out from 5th cell if there is a way to edit the worn version of a wearable object as well as its base form so that editted tshirts no longer look like armor you made and then turn back into a tshirt when worn.
This is so cool. Way to go, Jackson n' Co.

Jackson

Um, no. That is not fucking cool. In previous Scribblenauts games, all humanoid characters could wear clothing. This is a regression.

No sir this is untrue. Only Maxwell can wear clothing, humanoids can wear headgear though, which is also in Unlimited.

shaowebb

Made a little something for Toku-Gaf.

aUw4p.jpg

If attacked he does his Joker Extreme Rider Kick by summoning a green cyclone and kicking.

ScOULaris

No sir this is untrue. Only Maxwell can wear clothing, humanoids can wear headgear though, which is also in Unlimited.

Sorry for spreading misinformation. I could have sworn that I was able to put clothing items on humanoid characters in Super Scribblenauts on the DS, but obviously I'll take your word for it.

I take it this limitation has something to do with body sizes not being uniform, whereas head sizes are? Is that why headgear can be placed on any human?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Made a little something for Toku-Gaf.

aUw4p.jpg

If attacked he does his Joker Extreme Rider Kick by summoning a green cyclone and kicking.
Wow, it's awesome that you can make something with so much asymmetry. Has anyone attempted a Big Daddy? I may have missed it in the workshop.

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, it's awesome that you can make something with so much asymmetry. Has anyone attempted a Big Daddy? I may have missed it in the workshop.
I'm almost certain I saw a Big Daddy in the workshop under some name or other, but I don't know if it's still there.

Raxious

guys, a friend of mine bought it from the EU store, and he said he's able to download and play the game. Even though the store page says it's releasing in February :eek:

Twinduct

Quick question .. if I get someone to gift me the US version, do I still have to wait until Feb? Or is it like two different Steam IDs aka I can get away with it?

Zomba13

Quick question .. if I get someone to gift me the US version, do I still have to wait until Feb? Or is it like two different Steam IDs aka I can get away with it?

US version is the US version so you get access right now.

I plunged on the EU version. It's letting me download but no clue about actually letting me play yet.

I wonder if it's a glitch or something. It would really suck if they decided to lock it later. I think I'll wait before buying.

Stitch

Gold Member
It's region-locked again... Thank god that I've looked into the Steam Community before I bought it.

Will buy it next year during a sale when it's 5 bucks or less :)

Milchmann

I bought a key from Amazon.com yesterday and could play it then. Now the game is locked. At least I can still start the game manually with Scribble.exe.

Having a few problems with the editor - love the game though. EU got it on steam and it went fine.

1. Why do stuff keep becoming Undead? How can I stop this - what effects does it have?

2. How come I can't set behaviour to DESTROY UNDEAD?

3. How come I cant do WHEN THIS OBJECT -> GAINS AN ADJECTIVE -> FILTER -> UNDEAD?

Jackson

Having a few problems with the editor - love the game though. EU got it on steam and it went fine.

1. Why do stuff keep becoming Undead? How can I stop this - what effects does it have?

2. How come I can't set behaviour to DESTROY UNDEAD?

3. How come I cant do WHEN THIS OBJECT -> GAINS AN ADJECTIVE -> FILTER -> UNDEAD?

The Undead adjective is like a plague, anything it comes into contact with becomes undead as well. Maxwell might be undead himself or holding/wearing something undead, thus corrupting the world around him!

Just find the root cause and remove the adjective.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Bit dissapointing though, I wanted to do a Dark Souls thing with Lord Gwyn vs the Chosen Undead....

In any case, I tried to launch the game again and steam wont let me :(

Can still use the .exe so I'll just play the main story

It's region-locked again... Thank god that I've looked into the Steam Community before I bought it.

Will buy it next year during a sale when it's 5 bucks or less :)

Yeah, I bought it after seeing that it was unlocked for EU and foolishly believed Steam wouldn't change it. Played for 40 mins, enjoyed, then went to go back and it was locked. Requested a refund through Steam, not for any malicious or wanting to show em who's boss, but simply because I can see it being cheaper before the EU release date, or just after in the next sale and willing to wait that little bit extra. Just a shame as I was enjoying what I played, but want the Steam features, which are locked out if you load the exe.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the quick reply!

Bit dissapointing though, I wanted to do a Dark Souls thing with Lord Gwyn vs the Chosen Undead....

In any case, I tried to launch the game again and steam wont let me :(

Can still use the .exe so I'll just play the main story
I kind of didn't want to say anything since Skyrim changed this behavior, but kudos to Scribblepeople, even if unintentional, for the DRM-free executable. (Skyrim used also to be launchable outside of Steam before the first few patches)

I "subscribed" to some items on Steam Workshop, and steam reported downloading them, but I can't use them in game. I tried going to the object creator and looking for a way to get them, but can't seem to find anything.

Is there some step I'm missing that I have to do?

Top Bottom