• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Unlimited |OT| Unleash your inner copyright infringement

olimpia84

Got this for the WiiU yesterday. Only played a bit but I'm liking it so far, this is my first entry into the series. Game looks beautiful on the TV screen.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Because the game requires dragging items around and tapping we would have had to mimic the game twice on both screens. So you would virtually drag items on the bottom screen to place them on the top screen.

We tried that, it was dumb.

Sorry I'm quoting this after so long, I just found the thread. But why not just copy the PC? Treat the bottom screen as a mousepad and have a cursor on the top screen. Kinda like Knights in the Nightmare. You wouldn't need much of anything on the bottom screen until you needed it for word input.

ScOULaris

Sorry I'm quoting this after so long, I just found the thread. But why not just copy the PC? Treat the bottom screen as a mousepad and have a cursor on the top screen. Kinda like Knights in the Nightmare. You wouldn't need much of anything on the bottom screen until you needed it for word input.

That really wouldn't work well for a game like this, where you're constantly picking up, dragging, and generally interacting with things by touching them.

Twinduct

Ugh can't wait for a pal PC release.
Quick question .. if I get someone to gift it to me, will it give me beef about not being in me region (I know this worked fine for Mask of a Ninja & Dead light), but none of those games have steamworks and etc.

shaowebb

So I made another model because he was both in MVC and because NO ONE had done a decent one.

IRON MAN!!!

KFM8y.jpg

s6glR.jpg

He will drink anything he sees, he will eat doughnuts, he flies, shoots lasers, uses nukes, destroys weaponized vehicles, destroys military weapons, protects people, and flirts with the ladies.

shaowebb

You've got some skills, man.

Easier than 3ds Max or Maya lol. Im expecting this one to shoot through the ranks like my wife's Samus Aran did. Here's hoping I convince at least someone on the board to buy the steam version with some of these. Keyboard is sooooo good for this game :)

BTW I edited him to look a bit better since I found I had a few more parts available to use. I improved his fast, added trim to his chest piece, and added the extra contour plates to his shoulders, edited the ear to match his armor more and improved his color balance.

a8CHC.jpg

Also just trust me on this. If you have EVER liked my creations before just trust me and download my item "DESTRUCITY" . It is the most hilarious thing I've ever made just pop this out on the farm and try to run to get an idea of how fun it is in stages.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've downloaded everything on this page, can't wait to try them out.

Here's shaowebb's description of that DESTRUCITY object
Just download it and toss it into areas. It is insanity incarnate. Try to run from it. You CANT. This thing gives Godzilla night terrors.
ahahaha.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That is awesome.

This is really great use of the workshop, sort of the ultimate creation/distribution platform for imaginative nonsense, hahahah

Im all aflutter guys <3

Glad you all like my stuff. I'll try to make the rest of the ponies too and once you get the Wii U version or whatever PM me and I'll tell you step by step how to make them. Once you have the base done you can modify it pretty easily into the rest of the cast. For the record I don't have cutie marks on the ponies because most are pushing the object limit and because most of the objects only scale so small so most cutie marks would be a combination of a LOT of shapes.

I believe to make the ponies it was ...
  • start with a horse, shrink the body, lengthen the upper leg and shrink the lower leg.
  • Next put out of the body parts folders the plain arm shapes painted to match the bodies so that they don't have any black hooves messing up the way the legs are all solid in color.
  • For the face remove the head (or shrink it and cover it) with the "Head" shape.
  • For the nose I used a "hook" shape and nudged it up to the edge of the face so it'd make the outline of the muzzle.
  • For the eyes I used eggs and covered the original eye dots on the head and then nudged my new eyes into place so that they'd rest on top of the hook creating a lower eyelid effect. I then nudged the eye over so that it allowed the old eye's eyebrow to peak out beside my new eye like an eyelash.
  • Next I used a leaf for the ear and nudged it down so the stem connected to my eye creating the other eyelash.

Thats the template. The rest is using references and figuring out what shapes could be colored to make the hair shapes you need for the rest of the cast.
Rainbow Dash used moons and fangs.
Twilight used paper (lol irony) and a canoe for her back tail
Pinkie Pie used clouds and cotton candy.
Applejack used bushes arm shapes, and a shrunk rod for the hairband. Hat was just circles moons and half circles shoved behind the head.

I hope this helps those of you wanting these characters for your family to play with on your 3DS or Wii U consoles.

Ask me anything and I'll tell you how to recreate these.

EDIT:

Okay apparently it is listed in the game that most clothing ONLY comes in Maxwell's size. Only characters specifically coded for puzzles can wear clothing other than hats and such. HOWEVER, I found the adjective "resurrecting". I may not be able to make Phoenix change colors, but I may be able to make her start out in her Dark Phoenix outfit and once killed she starts her ballistic freakout and all the other stuff I'm cooking up for her.

Cross your fingers. Dark Phoenix may be rising soon.

trying to learn how to use the Wii U editor by following this

I typed Pony instead of horse but let me see if I can match this result

shaowebb

trying to learn how to use the Wii U editor by following this

I typed Pony instead of horse but let me see if I can match this result

Let me know if you need any help. I'll try to help you along so you can get these on your system.

Also on a sidenote a user found a unique glitch. Blizzard if you're around I'd like to here your input on this one. Samus Aran used a unique model as her base. She used one of the models of one of the design team called "NATHAN". He has a unique script where anytime he sees food he will eat it and then grow larger. We didn't notice with Samus, but my wife left "inherit base object properties" checked on her. I used the same base for Dormammu, but had mine unchecked.

What happens is very odd. Samus will go and eat food, but upon eating it she begins to emit electricity and since she isn't shockproof this eventually kills her. She has NO scripts. Only behaviors. Even after unchecking inherit properties if I feed her food this still happens and I have no clue why. Dormammu does not do this.

I have no idea what happened, but I think inheriting the abilities of Nathan causes some errors in your behaviors with food. Weird.

EDIT: Tested making objects with Nathan and I can't recreate this . They eat and they grow no matter what parts I add, letters I change in the name, or attack types/projectiles I tell them to shoot. This is an odd glitch. I can't find out why she does this.

^ I am still playing with it... I was mostly trying to make eyes that look like this

Rainbow_dash_gif-1-.gif

so I tried a pegasus as a base

trying to match the color is a pain and tying to get the leg on the other side of the body is also very difficult. This maybe my fault I need to check if there is a manual to teach me buttons

eyespony.jpg

So I made those eyes out of Ovals and Circle shapes but have yet to try them on my Rainbow Dash
I wanted to see if I could make these eyes first because they really are part of the whole character of the Ponies

shaowebb

^ I am still playing with it... I was mostly trying to make eyes that look like this

Rainbow_dash_gif-1-.gif

so I tried a pegasus as a base

trying to match the color is a pain and tying to get the leg on the other side of the body is also very difficult. This maybe my fault I need to check if there is a manual to teach me buttons

eyespony.jpg

So I made those eyes out of Ovals and Circle shapes but have yet to try them on my Rainbow Dash
I wanted to see if I could make these eyes first because they really are part of the whole character of the Ponies

I did that too. You can pretty easily make those...the problem is her hair. Each strand is its own shape and once you count em up it puts you at limit. If I could only paint the hooves from black to the base tones I could get the eyes back but they wont paint and I had to cover them :C

If it helps though for a side view I got some good results off of a whistle for the head shape. I'm still digging for better but it might help you since yours looks to be a sideview and not the 3/4 I did.

Blizzard

Banned
Let me know if you need any help. I'll try to help you along so you can get these on your system.

Also on a sidenote a user found a unique glitch. Blizzard if you're around I'd like to here your input on this one. Samus Aran used a unique model as her base. She used one of the models of one of the design team called "NATHAN". He has a unique script where anytime he sees food he will eat it and then grow larger. We didn't notice with Samus, but my wife left "inherit base object properties" checked on her. I used the same base for Dormammu, but had mine unchecked.

What happens is very odd. Samus will go and eat food, but upon eating it she begins to emit electricity and since she isn't shockproof this eventually kills her. She has NO scripts. Only behaviors. Even after unchecking inherit properties if I feed her food this still happens and I have no clue why. Dormammu does not do this.

I have no idea what happened, but I think inheriting the abilities of Nathan causes some errors in your behaviors with food. Weird.

EDIT: Tested making objects with Nathan and I can't recreate this . They eat and they grow no matter what parts I add, letters I change in the name, or attack types/projectiles I tell them to shoot. This is an odd glitch. I can't find out why she does this.
I don't know why that happens...if you recreate Samus, does the same thing happen? You might be able to figure out where along the path the change occurs.

shaowebb

I don't know why that happens...if you recreate Samus, does the same thing happen? You might be able to figure out where along the path the change occurs.

No. It just happens with Samus Aran. Its weird. Definitely an error because no behaviors exist involving food whatsoever and she has no scripts.

I did that too. You can pretty easily make those...the problem is her hair. Each strand is its own shape and once you count em up it puts you at limit. If I could only paint the hooves from black to the base tones I could get the eyes back but they wont paint and I had to cover them :C

If it helps though for a side view I got some good results off of a whistle for the head shape. I'm still digging for better but it might help you since yours looks to be a sideview and not the 3/4 I did.

what is the limit? o_O did not even start on hair yet :(

mine is looking more like Baby Rainbow Dash

wdash.jpg

radash.jpg

I am having so much trouble with things just connecting to each other
I might take me a few days to solve this design then I can just color swap to do more I hope

shaowebb

what is the limit? o_O did not even start on hair yet :(

mine is looking more like Baby Rainbow Dash

I am having so much trouble with things just connecting to each other
I might take me a few days to solve this design then I can just color swap to do more I hope

The problem with the side view is finding a head that has that shape that the ponies do which is ball with a very very small curved point at the end. I've tried a number of heads and I've even begun digging for random shapes found on the bodies of other creatures. Closest I found in shapes was whistle but it ends in a box and not a curved tip.

I did however come close with the sideview head using the head of a bat.
I'm not certain on the limit, but start making eggs or something and count how many shapes you have left. It gets rough on ponies surprisingly due to the hair. Sooo many shapes or colors to stripe on Rainbow dash, Twilight, and folks like Celestia.

Im gonna attack this from my end too and try to refine the design to be more accurate and throw you any part discoveries I find. The hair will be the roughest part, but I may be able to find singular pieces that are the right shape that have multiple paint areas on them to use to cut down the item count. I may be able to use torsos with pointed areas on them for this and slap a contoured moon or something over the edge to mask their original shape.

Hopefully we can get something happening because both the bronies and everyones kids really would enjoy this.

EDIT: Hmmmm...if you take the wing off of certain monsters you can get at least 2 tones on it and hide parts of it behind a head. This may eliminate one to two shapes from the hair build so keep that in mind. Jersey Devil has a good wing for two tones. I'm looking to see if any allow for more color strips.

DOUBLE EDIT: Woo! Found a wing with multiple stripe painting. Use a gargoyle's wing and paint it then place it on the head. Then push that back in layers behind the head and you can position it to do stuff like this.

bBQZj.jpg

This is really useful. It has some contours and angles to hide, but it easily shaves off 2 to 3 shapes in your build. Hope this helps. I'll keep diggin for head shapes.

if only the allowed drawing your own thing but I guess they need to make it this way

I'll keep looking but the way you had your Ponies at first is still great

shaowebb

if only the allowed drawing your own thing but I guess they need to make it this way

I'll keep looking but the way you had your Ponies at first is still great

I know, but hey if I can improve a design I will. Besides its how I have fun with this game since the puzzles are so simple. I really hope for a level editor next as DLC.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm sure we'll be echoing this forever, but I'd absolutely pay again for some action levels and a level editor. Money in the bank!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gonna try my hand at some GIFs. Should be able to take requests eventually :p

Enormous suspect Maxwell with a Tranquilizer Gun and Invisibility Cloak.
scribbleldqnw.gif

So I wasn't supposed to rob the gallery? :-/

shaowebb

Gonna try my hand at some GIFs. Should be able to take requests eventually :p

Enormous suspect Maxwell with a Tranquilizer Gun and Invisibility Cloak.
scribbleldqnw.gif

So I wasn't supposed to rob the gallery? :-/

Awesome! What are you using to capture from steam?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm sure we'll be echoing this forever, but I'd absolutely pay again for some action levels and a level editor. Money in the bank!
You're supposed to be saying "some free DLC with a level editor would be awesome, Jackson, and might result in more sales of the base game". Convince Jackson to follow the TF2 model! ;p

Unicorn

Action levels were the most brain twisting. As much as adjectives changed the game in Super, the actual challenges weren't really there. Sad to hear action levels are still treated like the red headed step child when those are the fondest memories my friend and I have solving the super challenging action levels in the first game.

If this game does get DLC, it needs to be that.

found a head I like so far

rd3.jpg

but even after hours of playing around I think the animation script has something to do with the transparent rectangle shapes that over lays the object when I play the animation it goes all jerky
rd2.jpg

I guess when I shrunk the legs I also shrunk these animation layers... so my pegasus is broken. I'll start over again.
rd1.jpg

head: raccoon
nose: FIN (organic)

maybe there is another head closer... I tried a Panda head before I went with Raccoon

need to make the tail save it and start over to fix the animation

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jackson, a big shout out to whomever composed the original pieces for the game. Just got to work and practically the whole score is stuck in my head.

Unicorn

Don't come back to this thread until you've built a time machine, then. :p Sadly it doesn't do the fancy thing(s) I think it used to, no more Feep adventures, but the effect it has is cute.
WAT?
Why are they getting rid of features? I am cry

Blizzard

Banned
WAT?
Why are they getting rid of features? I am cry
I suspect it's because the level system is different, and maybe they don't have an easy way to generate a new level with new backgrounds, monsters, etc. and spawn Maxwell into it like I think the old time machine did. Maybe if they premade such a level they could do it. I'm only guessing.

shaowebb

found a head I like so far

rd1.jpg

head: raccoon
nose: FIN (organic)

maybe there is another head closer... I tried a Panda head before I went with Raccoon

need to make the tail save it and start over to fix the animation

Hmm...try nudging the eye down till just the tip of it covers the edge of the fin you are using for a nose and then you could likely use a mouth to mask the rest of that nose shapes outline lower down near the bottom. Not certain what the overall effect would be, but that fin shape has a really thin outline so it may be a shape you can camouflage with the outline of other parts next to it. Ill look into this after work tonight.

^ thanks!

Hmm...try nudging the eye down till just the tip of it covers the edge of the fin you are using for a nose and then you could likely use a mouth to mask the rest of that nose shapes outline lower down near the bottom. Not certain what the overall effect would be, but that fin shape has a really thin outline so it may be a shape you can camouflage with the outline of other parts next to it. Ill look into this after work tonight.

good idea I'll test it out when I get back home

demolitio

This thread makes me wish I didn't buy Hitman Absolution (which I still can't launch at all after beating the first level and they keep ignoring it) and got this instead. Not only does it look like a lot of mindless fun, but it'd probably actually launch allowing me to play it. Being able to play it is always a plus!

Any game that allows user-created content like this deserves to be appreciated. I miss the days of PC modding and this reminds me of those days of spending all your free time making one little object for other people to hopefully enjoy. I already have some ideas in mind if I eventually get this.

Maybe I'll get some Christmas money to get this game with before healthcare insurance eats me alive in January...lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Any game that allows user-created content like this deserves to be appreciated. I miss the days of PC modding and this reminds me of those days of spending all your free time making one little object for other people to hopefully enjoy. I already have some ideas in mind if I eventually get this.
It's definitely worth it if that aspect appeals to you. The workshop is already filled with gems after this little time.

shaowebb

^ thanks!

good idea I'll test it out when I get back home

SUCCESS!!!
My wife wanted to help because she knows how it feels to be in your shoes. We were making ponies for her kid sister all Thanksgiving and its tricky to get them right. She discovered if you make a duckling and then use its body for a head it comes out looking like this.

ZVvvn.jpg

You can use whiskers layered behind the eyes for eye lashes if you don't run out of parts. I still have the gargoyle wing for part of her hair and I need to see how many pieces it takes to make the rest of her hair and ear and whether I run out of pieces. I'll let you know when I finish, but I think you got your base!

EDIT:

Nearly done. I need to see if I can get two more pieces freed up because Im at limit. I need 2 because I want the eyelashes and smile. I had to remove the lashes to fix the hair. I changed from moons to using pieces of the Kraken's tentacles that had good shapes and curves to them. The only place to cut down on parts is her tail meaning I'm back to hunting for stripable curved objects like the gargoyle wing that doesn't work. However, we are near perfection for you.

Bc3Cj.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I feel for the developer who is doing this, and I hope he doesn't burn out:

Hi All,

I've been contacting all of you one by one and adding those of you that need help to my friends list so that I can help you out faster. Please accept my friend request if you still need help. For those of you I haven't helped yet, please add me to your friends list and I'll get to you as soon as I can.

90% of the crashes I've fixed for people in this forum have been caused by older video card drivers. Please make sure that you have the most up to date drivers before launching Scribblenauts.

Hopefully we can get this issue fixed for you guys so you can get on to playing Scribblenauts.

This is from the performance/problem thread on the Steam discussion forum. People can be super angry there, but the dev seems to be hanging in there to get fixes, patches, beta(s), etc. out to fix performance on low-end graphics cards, or help people if they can't play.

So, it appears that we now know the reason for the delay in the EU: Nintendo of Europe is publishing it there, because money, presumably. I also assume that the PC version will remain unavailable in Europe since Nintendo don't do PC games.

I called it quits there, I ran out of stuff I could add and I got tired of searching for parts that would do it the way I want it to look. But I am happy with this end results for "Baby Rainbow Dash"

babydash1.jpg

babydash2.jpg

babydash3.jpg

babydash4.jpg

I like the running animation and flying animation

babydash5.jpg

babydash6.jpg

babydash7.jpg

babydash8.jpg

babydash9.jpg

I just noticed I forgot to check the size of this one but already shared it.

maybe as I play the game I'll discover other parts that will work

So is there any real reason to buy the 3DS version of Scribblenauts (aside from "portability")? As far as I know there's no Nintendo characters and there's no creation mode/Steam Workshop to get the Nintendo characters anyway.

I guess there's the pencil stylus.

EDIT: Oh, there's a level editor. Still a shame the creation software didn't get in.

Top Bottom