• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle Fed. Judge grants temporary restraining order on Immigration Ban nationwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peccavi

It would be contradictory if Boston were ordering the CBP to keep people out. That's not the case, Boston is just ending its temporary stay, so the CBP is no longer bound by that order but still bound by Seattle.

Good catch.

"Better take out that 'outrageous', it might tip them off that we're crazy and extremely unprofessional."
Sends out second version: "Oh shit we published a draft, don't mind me, just removing a typo."

No take backs White House, we saw your original document.

”No one is above the law — not even the President." –BF

[url]https://twitter.com/AGOWA/status/827666042251993088[/URL]

Oh shit, yes.

Gutek

Good catch.

"Better take out that 'outrageous', it might tip them off that we're crazy and extremely unprofessional."
Sends out second version: "Oh shit we published a draft, don't mind me, just removing a typo."

No take backs White House, we saw your original document.

Oh shit, yes.

CNN already called em out on this.

SerTapTap

Not that his failure to divest isn't, but wouldn't it be immediate grounds for impeachment (congress willing) if he disobeys this?

Lmao White House just updated that statement taking outrageous out.

That statement was fucking absurd and any judge half paying attention will destroy them in court. The outrageous is just the icing on the cake and will make it even more brutal when they lose.

Volimar

Mortal Kombat. Trump has to win ten consecutive tournaments.

ei5gYL1.gif

big gif

Ran rp

It's too bad the Indians didn't have a border wall put up with security and guns to protect it centuries ago, maybe this would still be their land !!!

this might be the most offensive thing i've read all week

edit: from fox news facebook comments, of course

PSY・S;229690666 said:
this might be the most offensive thing i've read all week

edit: from fox news facebook comments, of course

I always found the way Americans try to rationalize anti-immigrant sentiments despite the history of the country so intriguing.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Hopefully the airlines do what they can to get those affected onto planes ASAP.

Phased

The judge gives his opinions starting at around 55 minutes, he started with checks and balances.. he also addressed why he made it a nation wide order instead of just Washington

His statements about checks and balances are really good. He explains very well how all 3 branches are equal in power and are in place to ensure no one branch is too powerful.

It's nice to see our balance of power is still intact despite everything that has happened. This will probably get appealed but I can't see it changing much despite what court looks at it.

Trump is a horrible President and a moron, but this should send a very clear message that the President is not a dictator and can't get away with this stuff.

Ishan

His statements about checks and balances are really good. He explains very well how all 3 branches are equal in power and are in place to ensure no one branch is too powerful.

It's nice to see our balance of power is still intact despite everything that has happened. This will probably get appealed but I can't see it changing much despite what court looks at it.

Trump is a horrible President and a moron, but this should send a very clear message that the President is not a dictator and can't get away with this stuff.
What balance of power your executive is running amok and ignoring judicial orders ....

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
so the cheeto in chief's executive order banning immigration got a federal restraining order for a week. He responds with

"At the earliest possible time, the Department of Justice intends to file an emergency stay of this outrageous order and defend the executive order of the President, which we believe is lawful and appropriate. The president's order is intended to protect the homeland and he has the constitutional authority and responsibility to protect the American people.
As the law states, "Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.""

that law they quote? Is from 1952 and was replaced in 1965 with a law that says...

The act, also known as the Immigration and Naturalization Act or the Hart-Celler Act, is the foundation of America's current legal immigration system. Overriding past quota systems that heavily favored Europeans, the act declared that "no person shall receive any preference or priority or be discriminated against in the issuance of an immigrant visa because of the person's race, sex, nationality, place of birth or place of residence."

lol. they're referring to an outdated law, the replacement/amendment to which literally says that what they're doing isn't allowed?

this shall be fun

oh and they've also since removed the word "outrageous". loool.

quotes courtesy of reddit, please stone me to death if they're inaccurate

Phased

What balance of power your executive is running amok and ignoring judicial orders ....

Executive is running amok but it's getting checked at every turn by at least the judicial. Granted the first orders given weren't uniformly enforced, however I think that can come down to a bit of confusion on all sides.

As of right now they are reinstating revoked visa's as we speak. They are complying with the order.

Ishan

so the cheeto in chief's executive order banning immigration got a federal restraining order for a week. He responds with

that law they quote? Is from 1952 and was replaced in 1965 with a law that says...

lol. they're referring to an outdated law, the replacement/amendment to which literally says that what they're doing isn't allowed?

this shall be fun

The president has strong precedent and power over immigration , even an idiot protesting this knows it . The way to win this fight is one the executive oversteps legally not the case yet or the general populace dislikes it . Building but not the case yet especially with the republican base . Trump is president he has the right to do this . I feel the best battles are at getting bannon off any position of influence and also not letting devos in.

greatgeek

Banned

this shall be fun

Both provisions are effective, and the question is how to reconcile them.
The president has strong precedent and power over immigration , even an idiot protesting this knows it . The way to win this fight is one the executive oversteps legally not the case yet or the general populace dislikes it . Building but not the case yet especially with the republican base . Trump is president he has the right to do this . I feel the best battles are at getting bannon off any position of influence and also not letting devos in.

I'm not sure that the President has any inherent Article II power to regulate immigration. Maybe if it is an act of war? Otherwise, his power should be constrained by the limits imposed by Congress.

Ishan

Executive is running amok but it's getting checked at every turn by at least the judicial. Granted the first orders given weren't uniformly enforced, however I think that can come down to a bit of confusion on all sides.

As of right now they are reinstating revoked visa's as we speak. They are complying with the order.
I haven't read the recent articles about this (essentially today ) if this is true it's good , I've seen the flurry of judicial decisions against this but I also read the whole notion of marshals being under the ag which is still executive . Fuck worst thing is this thing is such a mess just two weeks in . We shouldn't have the most powerful country on the planet currently with the strongest military ever assembled in such shambles . Actually thank god for nukes at this point . If nukes didn't exist the world might have been overrun. Nukes are going to prevent the worst ironically ,

nomis

holy crap, seeing the this lawyer for the government side sweat trying to convince the judge that there may be countries in which Islam is a persecuted minority and would therefore receive preference for Muslim refugees from that country, therefore this executive order shows no particular religious favouritism, is hilarious

trump tweet: CHRISTIANS ARE TREATED TERRIBLY OVER THERE, WE MUST HELP THEM

Anarion07

God that felt so good to watch.

sogood.gif

I really want Trump to snap, fuck this up somehow and get impeached.
Just don't hurt anybody.

this shall be fun

The Trump administration will probably refer to Jimmy Carter's visa restrictions on Iran and argue for its applicability to one or more of the countries on the ban list.

CHC

Na_ytto_kuva_2017_02_04_kello_15_13_56.png

Trump just got up from his nap.

"so-called judge"

No you gaping cunt, not so-called. Just a judge. An actual judge.

You are wrong. Crawl away and eat it, you sore ugly fuck.

Edit: ugh his other tweets are even worse than this one. Can he just go already, just fucking go. Preferably to hell.

Paz

It's literally a textbook story of the rise of fascism, complete with identifying an 'enemy' to unite your populace against (Immigrants), denouncing all forms of protest as illegitimate (See: Paid protesters tweet), and now de-legitimizing the law when it conflicts with your ideas.

It's mind boggling to see the US choose this path, of all countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom