• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

CLEEK

Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense considering the second wave of Sega 3D classics were all classified and ready to go for an Australian release over a year ago.

No, the second wave were being certified just prior to their release. Afterburner II got certified in 17/11/14. There's no Outrun or Fantasy Zone listed, so they must still be stuck in classification limbo.

http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/Results.aspx?q=3d&t=c

Maybe this has something to do with delays.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Has anybody turned on environmental SFX? I tried it, not really a fan. Also feel the music is not loud enough. Or rather, I still need to tweak it to get the right balance between fx and music. Otherwise, this is pretty much sublime perfection. I messed with the screen modes--upright, standard, etc. Cool stuff. No scanlines setting though is disappointing.

3D Mode: Are you guys using it? I play at one notch above "Off". Perfect there for me.

The Boat

The 1:1 pixel ratio of these old-ass games on 3DS makes them look so damn good, especially Sega's arcade stuff.

Also well done, I can barely finish A these days, let alone E.

Space Harrier, Out Run, After Burner II, Galaxy Force II, Sonic the Hedgehog and Fantasy Zone are all dynamite. Streets of Rage and Shinobi III are also excellent games and faithful conversions.

No idea about Ecco, and it's hard to recommend the Genesis version of Altered Beast when the arcade version is so superior (although a million times harder).
Thanks. My wallet's fucked.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So... Which 3D Classics are worth it?

S+ tier: Super Hang-On, Galaxy Force II, OutRun, After Burner II
A tier: Space Harrier, Fantazy Zone
B+ tier: Sonic the Hedgehog, Shinobi III
B tier: Streets of Rage
YMMV tier: Altered Beast, Ecco the Dolphin

S+ tier: Super Hang-On, Galaxy Force II, OutRun, After Burner II
A tier: Space Harrier, Fantazy Zone
B+ tier: Sonic the Hedgehog, Shinobi III
B tier: Streets of Rage
YMMV tier: Altered Beast, Ecco the Dolphin

Are you ranking these based on how much you like the games themselves and not the quality of the ports? Cause that's the only way I see your list making sense. And that's very subjective.

oneida

Are you ranking these based on how much you like the games themselves and not the quality of the ports? Cause that's the only way I see your list making sense. And that's very subjective.

Both. I like Space Harrier more than Galaxy Force II as a game, but I think most would agree GFII is a better buy.

Is there going to be a Wave 3? Please keep these games going, Sega! Rad Moblie, please? Outrunners, Turbo Outrun, lazer Ghost, Line of fire, Power Drift.. I guess I'd better not get my hopes up...

Neff

I'd say it's a mostly solid list myself, although I wouldn't quite put GFII in the S+ tier, which is where Space Harrier certainly belongs.

Is there going to be a Wave 3? Please keep these games going, Sega! Rad Moblie, please? Outrunners, Turbo Outrun, lazer Ghost, Line of fire, Power Drift.. I guess I'd better not get my hopes up...

Dear god I hope so, particularly Power Drift.

Voliko

Space Harrier, Out Run, After Burner II, Galaxy Force II, Sonic the Hedgehog and Fantasy Zone are all dynamite. Streets of Rage and Shinobi III are also excellent games and faithful conversions.

No idea about Ecco, and it's hard to recommend the Genesis version of Altered Beast when the arcade version is so superior (although a million times harder).

You forgot Super Hang-on... It's better than Outrun to me. Outrun is fun but it really is too easy. Super Hang-on demands more preciseness, which makes it all the more intense. Once you get to the later laps in the expert course and a single crash spells doom for the whole run it's pure adrenaline.

Honestly all of the 3D classics are worth it except for Ecco and Altered Beast.

Neff

You forgot Super Hang-on...

Whoops, yeah Super Hang-On is legit, I played the hell out of in You Arcade while waiting for Dobuita bars to open...

Dunno about it being easier than Out Run though. I still have trouble getting the exact racing line I need in the heat of the moment in the Testarossa (or legal equivalent), but I weave in and out of opponent Hang-On bikes no problem.

An Australian rating for 3D Streets of Rage 2 popped up, but nothing has been said beyond that.

I keep hoping for 3D Monster World Collection myself.

Thanks for the reply. What's the problem with Ecco, the port or the game? Haven't played the game in a million years.

Nothing wrong with the port I think. All these ports are technically perfect. People are just hating on the game itself (Ecco).

I bought all of the first wave except Altered Beast, and Ecco is by far the one I played the least. So I'm inclined to agree.

I take issue with ranking Sonic and Shinobi lower than the arcade games though. They're perhaps less technically impressive (for obvious reasons), but I love them and enjoy them just as much. They also provide very different gameplay in terms of difficulty, length, and pacing being console games and not designed to be twitch-action quarter-munchers.

I'd rank the ones I bought as follows (subjective ranking):

Tier 1: Super Hang-On, Galaxy Force II, Sonic, Shinobi, (Outrun and Afterburner will go here most likely but I didn't play them yet)
Tier 2: Streets of Rage, Space Harrier (putting this here will be sacrilegious for many people, but I'm not a big fan of the game. It looks and runs great but I find the gameplay very simplistic. Still a must-buy for me because it's a perfectly remastered piece of arcade history in handheld form)
Tier 3: Ecco

Voliko

Whoops, yeah Super Hang-On is legit, I played the hell out of in You Arcade while waiting for Dobuita bars to open...

Dunno about it being easier than Out Run though. I still have trouble getting the exact racing line I need in the heat of the moment in the Testarossa (or legal equivalent), but I weave in and out of opponent Hang-On bikes no problem.
Hmm, I can agree with that. The timer is definitely more lenient in Out Run though, and you lose more time in Super Hang-On for crashing. Not to mention the Expert course is more than twice as long as a full route in Out Run.

Thanks for the reply. What's the problem with Ecco, the port or the game? Haven't played the game in a million years.

Nothing wrong with the port. If anything, it's one of the better 3D showcases of the series, especially among the Genesis titles. The problem is that it's one of those "love it or hate it" games; a YMMV title if anything else, since it depends on how much you liked (or would like) Ecco's gameplay.

The Boat

Nothing wrong with the port I think. All these ports are technically perfect. People are just hating on the game itself (Ecco).

I bought all of the first wave except Altered Beast, and Ecco is by far the one I played the least. So I'm inclined to agree.

I take issue with ranking Sonic and Shinobi lower than the arcade games though. They're perhaps less technically impressive (for obvious reasons), but I love them and enjoy them just as much. They also provide very different gameplay in terms of difficulty, length, and pacing being console games and not designed to be twitch-action quarter-munchers.

Nothing wrong with the port. If anything, it's one of the better 3D showcases of the series, especially among the Genesis titles. The problem is that it's one of those "love it or hate it" games; a YMMV title if anything else, since it depends on how much you liked (or would like) Ecco's gameplay.
I see, thanks.

duckroll

I think there are a few ways to divide the series in terms of quality. In terms of porting, they're pretty much all perfect, so the question is which ones go above and beyond the call of the duty.

Afterburner II and Thunderblade are probably the ones which have the most significant new content with their special modes. So if you're looking for new stages and stuff like that, nothing else in the series compares.

Super Hang On, Fantasy Zone, Outrun, and Fantasy Zone II all have extra content which is mostly a twist on existing content without major changes in design or stage patterns. Still good stuff, but it's more about replayability than a whole new thing. Space Harrier has an extra boss iirc.

The rest are pretty much perfect ports without any sort of substantial extras. But in terms of technical showcases, Outrun (60fps!!!!!!!!!), Afterburner II, and Galaxy Force II stand out the most. Thunderblade probably will too, but since it's not available outside of Japan I haven't seen it on a 3DS.

The Genesis titles feature pretty nice 3D effects on the parallax layers, but that's about it. How much you enjoy the titles will come down to whether you like those games to begin with.

wondermega

I'd rank the ones I bought as follows (subjective ranking):

Tier 1: Super Hang-On, Galaxy Force II, Sonic, Shinobi, (Outrun and Afterburner will go here most likely but I didn't play them yet)
Tier 2: Streets of Rage, Space Harrier (putting this here will be sacrilegious for many people, but I'm not a big fan of the game. It looks and runs great but I find the gameplay very simplistic)
Tier 3: Ecco

Gonna agree with this list,

I'll add that Sonic and Streets of Rage were both games I'd have labeled as "so old and tired that I'd just as seen never play them again for the rest of my days," but the 3D effect so greatly adds to them that they are well-worth your time and money. I was riveted to Sonic all over again and couldn't put it down until I'd seen the whole game in this new fashion. They'd paid such attention to making so many details things pop in their depth, that every screen just felt breathtaking.

As for SOR, the "diorama" presentation felt very unique compared to any of the other games that M2 had converted. The gameplay feels old-fashioned as hell, but the presentation is just a joy to look at and Yuzo's tunes are always a good time. I thought I would be beyond bored of this game after all this time, but it really is very refreshing and I still get a charge of loading it up every so often.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So, it seems like none of you discovered the extra bosses hidden in 3DFZ. Want me to spoil them?

Super Hang On, Fantasy Zone, Outrun, and Fantasy Zone II all have extra content which is mostly a twist on existing content without major changes in design or stage patterns. Still good stuff, but it's more about replayability than a whole new thing.

FZIIDX is pretty much a whole new thing all on its own, but even putting that aside, Link Loop Land is definitely more than just a twist; I'd say it's a bigger departure than the special modes from AB or TB, even.

What's also cool is that getting the different endings in the main game unlocks new ships for LLL.

oneida

Sonic is great but I find it difficult to go back to SoR1 after 2 and 3. Hell sometimes I can't bring myself to play SoR2 with anyone but Skate since he can run.

Cody_D165

Banned
just got home and downloaded 3D Outrun

simon-cowell-gif-youre-awesome-the-x-factor-happy-sigh.gif

duckroll

FZIIDX is pretty much a whole new thing all on its own, but even putting that aside, Link Loop Land is definitely more than just a twist; I'd say it's a bigger departure than the special modes from AB or TB, even.

What's also cool is that getting the different endings in the main game unlocks new ships for LLL.

Okay, to be fair I shouldn't have listed it at all because like Thunderblade, I haven't actually gotten to play it yet! :(

I bought Outrun 3D today as was playing it for a bit. I forgot how much fun Outrun is. A good game is forever good, right?

I'm really impressed by the production value on the port as well. Replay saving and the metric shit-ton of options and tweaks made me smile. M2 are the best.

GenG3000

Ecco is a strange little game. It's the weird one of the bunch, not being an arcade game but more like an adventure with exploration, tasks, oxygen management and puzzles. although it's one of the most interesting experiences for Mega/Genesis.

The original one is too hard and didn't have midstage checkpoints, so it was a matter of either playing extremely careful or dying a lot to memorize the layout of the caves, but the 3DS version has a mode for unlimited oxygen and health so you can at least beat the game and explore the game at your own leisure.

Robin64

Grabbed OutRun this morning and it quickly became my favourite version of the game ever. I used to outright suck at OutRun, buy enjoyed it nonetheless. This morning, I was able to almost finish a route! I've never even got close before. Maybe it's the 3D (which is sooo good in this game), maybe the wider view, maybe the 60fps.. Whatever it is, I bloody love it!

Also Cruising Line is amazing, a real "lost" OutRun track. I hope they continue to use it in OutRunny things.

deadfolk

Out run is amazing. My favourite arcade game of all time (followed by Power Drift).

This is a fantastic port. Well worth the wait.

Neff

You all Ecco haters are no real gamers.

Ecco's an interesting and unique snapshot of a special time in the Genesis' life, filled equally with beauty, novelty, frustration and tedium. So mileage does understandably vary.

Yu Suzuki/AM2's arcade résumé is red-hot, technically brilliant, arcade culture-defining shit, and still wonderfully playable some 20-30 years on. There's really no downside, or comparison.

I don't hate the game; I played the heck out of it on my Mega Drive. But when someone asks which of these 3D Classics are a better buy than others, then Ecco isn't gonna make it near the top of anyone's list. Let's keep it real.

Still, if you can afford to, buy them all I say, because M2 and SEGA deserve it for bringing us the most exciting and finely crafted retro projects this gen IMO. And we should encourage them to keep making more of them.

Just bought and played OutRun and its sooooo good! The 3D effect is great as always as are all the new options. I suck as usual but it looks great! I REALLY should invest in a good pair for headphones to use exclusively with the New 3DS as I can't really hear the new tunes so well.

bjork

I like the swimming part of Barbie Vacation Adeventure better than Ecco. But I still bought Ecco to support the hope of OutRun making it out here. You're all welcome!

ps this OutRun is really good.

The original one is too hard and didn't have midstage checkpoints, so it was a matter of either playing extremely careful or dying a lot to memorize the layout of the caves, but the 3DS version has a mode for unlimited oxygen and health so you can at least beat the game and explore the game at your own leisure.
The Mega CD and Japanese version have Glyphs as checkpoints. Of course playing Japanese version means missing out on the rather unexpected and surprising story.

What is really strange is the game was a simultaneous worldwide release. It is known the reason for the difficulty was so that "you couldn't beat it in a weekend" (also the brutal difficulty spike near the end with long auto scrolling stages) but I don't think a few checkpoints would really make the game that much shorter.

In any case a casual super dolphin playthrough is still likely to take a first time player a good few hours to get through.

GenG3000

The Mega CD and Japanese version have Glyphs as checkpoints. Of course playing Japanese version means missing out on the rather unexpected and surprising story.

That sounds like an improvement. I may give it a shot after I finish this super dolphin playthrough for the story part, but even so I've noticed the Japanese text is all in kana so I can read it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really wish we got Outrunners...

Can't believe the shitty Genesis version is the only port of that classic.

ship it

I really wish we got Outrunners...

Can't believe the shitty Genesis version is the only port of that classic.

I am in total agreement with you. I even looked into getting an outrunners arcade board.

3D outrun is so amazing I am kinda in disbelief still. With the New 3DS the effect is so clean.

ghibli99

Wow, the two new songs are so good. They sound like they could have easily been part of the 1986 original, and match the in-game action perfectly. The three main tracks are legendary, don't get me wrong, but they somehow nailed it with the new ones as well. I can't believe how high quality this is.

Is it OutRun (one word) or Out Run (two words)?

SEGA themselves use Out Run in their blog interviews, so does the OP, but looking at user posts in the thread (including the thread title) a lot more people write it as OutRun than Out Run.

What fuckery is this?

ghibli99

SEGA themselves use Out Run in their blog interviews, so does the OP, but looking at user posts in the thread (including the thread title) a lot more people write it as OutRun than Out Run.

What fuckery is this?
For me, two words. I think they started messing with it when it came to the Xbox version -- "OutRun 2" -- which might explain the variation.

Out Run is so beautiful on 3DS, it plays like an absolute dream and it fills me with wonderful, unforgettable memories of my childhood.

I am very excited for Streets of Rage 2 and I'd love to see Revenge of Shining get the treatment too.

retroman

What fuckery is this?
I've been wondering this as well.

I mentioned it in this old thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=922528

Out Run/OutRun is a tricky one. I'm still not sure how it's supposed to be spelled.

I prefer Out Run (and the box art of the original game seems to agree with me), but most of the sequels use OutRun instead.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It seems to be both. "Out Run", "Battle Out Run", & "Out Run Europa" are separate while games like "OutRun 2006", "OutRun Online Arcade", & "OutRunners" are one word.

I just say "Outrun".

AdanVC

Wow, the two new songs are so good. They sound like they could have easily been part of the 1986 original, and match the in-game action perfectly. The three main tracks are legendary, don't get me wrong, but they somehow nailed it with the new ones as well. I can't believe how high quality this is.

Agree! Camino a Mi Amor is very catchy and fits the ambient of the game perfectly!

Top Bottom