• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I can't believe I kept intentionally overlooking these arcade classics. I didn't even realize they emulated the moving cabinet until reading it here. Shame on me. Now I will get them all to redeem myself.

Do both people need to have Altered Beast and Streets of Rage for local multiplayer or is there download play like the NES VC?

Yes there is no download play sadly.

What's the best 3D setting to go about enjoying Out Run?
Any works fine, the 3D scales very well and you should only slide it as high as feels comfortable upon playing for a bit.

Testing anti-skid tires with Cruising Line now, gonna repeat my route from several minutes ago (three-star difficulty (assuming this is arcade), Old version).

duckroll

Oh man, another great port. I had to turn the 3D off after a while because it started breaking during the gameplay due to INTENSITY. Super smooth, really fast paced, and the credits sequence is hilarious! :)

All hail M2!

Outrun is tempting me to update my 3DS XL, but I was thinking of trying the homebrew hacks since I'm still on an exploitable firmware. You guys are not making it easy :(

Edit: Fuck homebrew. It seems way too much of a hassle on 3DS. Outrun will be mine soon!

ghibli99

Awesome port! I miss staring at that sexy Testarossa, but everything else is just perfect. Haven't listened to the other two music tracks yet. 3D is really nice, and again, the n3DS makes playing with the depth slider on very enjoyable and seamless.

oneida

Went for E since I never go for E.

tumblr_nl409jLcZM1slig2vo1_540.jpg

ghibli99

Just played a little bit more, and man, this really is quality stuff, just like the rest of the series. I also got caught up on all the Sega blog entries on this game, and it blows me away every time how much time and effort goes into development and optimization. Very cool and eye-opening to read about the process for hitting 60fps.

Great credits, just like AB2's, and this series kinda makes me curious to check out all those 2500 entries on the PS2, even though I haven't heard great things about most of them. As a company, though, I feel compelled to support M2, even if it has to be on the secondhand market.

This is the first time I'm playing Outrun, pretty cool. 3D is great, but I always thought the effect lends itself best to pixel based games, with more striking layers. Great sense of speed, love the graphics in general. Neat music, 6 is my favorite so far.

duckroll

Great credits, just like AB2's, and this series kinda makes me curious to check out all those 2500 entries on the PS2, even though I haven't heard great things about most of them. As a company, though, I feel compelled to support M2, even if it has to be on the secondhand market.

The bad things you have heard are probably the very early ones when Sega teamed up with D3 to do cheap remakes of classic stuff. The results were poor, and starting with Virtua Fighter 2 (Vol16), Sega decided to put more effort and produce them internally. M2 wasn't brought in until Space Harrier II (Vol20). Every one of the M2 developed 2500 releases are amazing, and the ones which are collections are really value for money.

M2 developed Space Harrier II (20), SDI & Quartet (21), Last Bronx (24), Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box (25), Tetris Collection (28), Monster World Complete Collection (29), Galaxy Force II Special Edition (30), Virtual On (31), Phantasy Star Complete Collection (32), and Fantasy Zone Complete Collection (33).

While M2 did not work on them, Virtual Fighter 2 (16), Dragon Force (18), Dynamite Cop (26), and Panzer Dragoon (27) are pretty solid releases as well. I haven't played every single one, so there might be even more gems there depending on the titles you like. Just stay away from anything before Vol16.

They all come with really thick full color manuals, and are packed with bonus features, all domestic and foreign versions of games when available, support low resolution modes, etc. The 2500 series on the PS2 from Vol16 onwards is basically the Criterion Collection of Sega classics in terms of physical releases.

So outrun is a blast buuuuut I really suck. Pretty much every time I switch to high gear, I will wipe out. Any tips or is it just get gud?

Voliko

I'd listened to the new songs countless times already but actually hearing them while playing the game is something else. They are ridiculously on point.

Lol, actually that's true. I am trying to just run thru without slowing down whatsoever. Do you recommend brake or just let go of acceleration?
I do a bit of both. You can brake to decelerate harder than letting off the gas; the former option's useful when you need to accommodate traffic/sharpest corners and the latter's best if you know a route's turns and want to get an efficient driving line. I've done all the endings now by just keeping my distance rather than risk a collision with anything (got one more stage to experience though).

Speaking of gears, you can switch into low gear if you trip on something, and that will most likely save you from spinning out. I love this bit of reflex maneuvering because it's like nothing I've seen in the other Super Scalar games. Super Hang-On, based on this game's engine, doesn't believe in regaining balance, which figures into the context (motorcycle racing) but also enforces one playing style over all. OutRun feels more like a driving game (it's a checkpoint rally racer nonetheless) simply because the recovery and corner-taking options imply a variety of ways you can drive routes and individual stages. Below the sunny paint-job, it's a game that educates on the personalities behind a joy-ride.

Part of me wishes M2 would have put into Circle Pad Pro support for those who like using the Z shoulder buttons. I guess they didn't have time, given the focus on framerate optimization and testing upgrades in relation to framerate.

Awesome port! I miss staring at that sexy Testarossa, but everything else is just perfect. Haven't listened to the other two music tracks yet. 3D is really nice, and again, the n3DS makes playing with the depth slider on very enjoyable and seamless.

this

I'd listened to the new songs countless times already but actually hearing them while playing the game is something else. They are ridiculously on point.

And this.

Really great port of a amazing game. Whishing that M2 will work in a 3rd bunch

The volumes for Bonanza Bros./Tant R, Monaco GP, Virtua Racing, and even Alien Syndrome are worthwhile non-M2 SEGA AGES releases as well. Whatever y'all do, avoid D3's take on Golden Axe!

-Tanooki-

Neo Member
Thanks for the reminder I'm going to be downloading it in a moment here.

This was the biggie for me just under Afterburner. Last time around it was Galaxy Force and Streets of Rage and I can't wait to fire it up.

I've got the New3DS so this should play out pretty well with the motion of the game.

Yup. I haven't bought every one of these releases, but every one I've bought has been worth my monies by far. Stuff like cabinet sounds is huge. The attention to detail is ridiculous and their tweaks and improvements always enhance without ever taking away.

Outrun may be the best so far. Partly because of how good the original is and partly because of the great work M2 has done.

ghibli99

The bad things you have heard are probably the very early ones when Sega teamed up with D3 to do cheap remakes of classic stuff. The results were poor, and starting with Virtua Fighter 2 (Vol16), Sega decided to put more effort and produce them internally. M2 wasn't brought in until Space Harrier II (Vol20). Every one of the M2 developed 2500 releases are amazing, and the ones which are collections are really value for money.

M2 developed Space Harrier II (20), SDI & Quartet (21), Last Bronx (24), Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box (25), Tetris Collection (28), Monster World Complete Collection (29), Galaxy Force II Special Edition (30), Virtual On (31), Phantasy Star Complete Collection (32), and Fantasy Zone Complete Collection (33).

While M2 did not work on them, Virtual Fighter 2 (16), Dragon Force (18), Dynamite Cop (26), and Panzer Dragoon (27) are pretty solid releases as well. I haven't played every single one, so there might be even more gems there depending on the titles you like. Just stay away from anything before Vol16.

They all come with really thick full color manuals, and are packed with bonus features, all domestic and foreign versions of games when available, support low resolution modes, etc. The 2500 series on the PS2 from Vol16 onwards is basically the Criterion Collection of Sega classics in terms of physical releases.

The volumes for Bonanza Bros./Tant R, Monaco GP, Virtua Racing, and even Alien Syndrome are worthwhile non-M2 SEGA AGES releases as well. Whatever y'all do, avoid D3's take on Golden Axe!
Thanks for the great information and clarifications on who did what. I guess I stopped paying attention after the earlier releases and figured they were all crap. Wish I'd been less ignorant. Anyway, off to the internets I go! :)

Nintendo Life review, quite on point (aside from devaluing the new songs, which need time for growing onto players of course). And here's the SegaBits review, utterly glowing remarks.

Stuff like cabinet sounds is huge.
These must be the best sounds yet, too. I love hearing the SFX from the gear-shift and wheel clocking out, it's like a software toy hidden alongside one hell of a game.

And y'all better check the credits out...just how many times can a couple wreck their ride?!

Khaz

Thanks for the great information and clarifications on who did what. I guess I stopped paying attention after the earlier releases and figured they were all crap. Wish I'd been less ignorant. Anyway, off to the internets I go! :)

I can vouch for the Virtual On port (volume 31), arcade perfect and with excellent playability with the dual shock twin sticks.
I'm waiting for my copy of Fantasy Zone Collection (volume 33), even though I have both on the Master System and on the 3DS.

Outrun is totally worth full price but I am still bummed US doesn't get the same half-off sale on the other games that EU is enjoying right now.

I think I would buy them all at that price.

oneida

Outrun is totally worth full price but I am still bummed US doesn't get the same half-off sale on the other games that EU is enjoying right now.

This is why I kind of like the pace these games are being delivered at - thus far, i've bought all but 3 of the 3D Classics and my wallet hasn't felt a thing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Outrun is amazing, 60fps and 3D is a perfect match.

I also got Shinobi III for half price, I may get Streets of Rage just for the music.

So many Sega games I want with such a treatment, I'm frustrated with the first waves selection.

CLEEK

For those wondering about no Fantasy Zone in Australia, it looks like the entirety of the remaining titles have been delayed:
3ds.png

Sucks.

Excitedly went into the eStore today to download Outrun... FFFFUUUUUCCCKKK!

So yeah, it does suck, but at least they're still coming.

I did check on the Australian Classification site and neither Outrun or Fantasy Zone are listed, so this is likely the source of the delays. Wankers.

Damn, arcade mode(30fps) is a slide show, hats off to M2 for being dedicated to the 60fps gold standard :)
I paired Arcade mode with a moving HUD just to see if that was playable...more so than any other 3D Classics, at least, but I'm even more appreciative of the bump in framerate than before.

OutRun's a great package, but Thunder Blade seems like it's the company's labor of love, the "encore" as they and Okunari call it.

wondermega

have I stumbled into the one thread on gaf where people are just happy about some games and everyone gets along w/ zero drama? My secret haven...

That being said, my heart goes out to you Aussies right now. WTF Sega ;_;

Sega of American might be waiting until wave two has finished releasing, I would imagine having a sale on the old batch might distract from the new releases.

Neff

Went for E since I never go for E.

tumblr_nl409jLcZM1slig2vo1_540.jpg

The 1:1 pixel ratio of these old-ass games on 3DS makes them look so damn good, especially Sega's arcade stuff.

Also well done, I can barely finish A these days, let alone E.

So... Which 3D Classics are worth it?

Space Harrier, Out Run, After Burner II, Galaxy Force II, Sonic the Hedgehog and Fantasy Zone are all dynamite. Streets of Rage and Shinobi III are also excellent games and faithful conversions.

No idea about Ecco, and it's hard to recommend the Genesis version of Altered Beast when the arcade version is so superior (although a million times harder).

That being said, my heart goes out to you Aussies right now. WTF Sega ;_;

Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense considering the second wave of Sega 3D classics were all classified and ready to go for an Australian release over a year ago.

I ended up getting a Japanese New 3DS and a copy of the retail collection because of this. Expensive as hell, but still absolutely worth it. 3D Out Run (and Fantasy Zone... also the others!) are just that good. <3

Top Bottom