• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

.hacked

How did I miss these? Snagged today Outrun, Afterburner 2, Street of Rage, Galaxy Force 2 and Space Harrier. Love them all in 3d mode, Outrun being my favorite now. If they were not $6 each Id get them all but for now sticking with my top picks from my old Sega playing days.

3D outrun is so amazing I am kinda in disbelief still. With the New 3DS the effect is so clean.

Wow, the two new songs are so good. They sound like they could have easily been part of the 1986 original, and match the in-game action perfectly. The three main tracks are legendary, don't get me wrong, but they somehow nailed it with the new ones as well. I can't believe how high quality this is.

Ugh. Making me want to buy a N3DS....

I'll have to back the opinion on the two new songs. I wasn't really expecting much, but IMO, they fit in perfectly with the original 3. They sound just like they were made for this game, and not just an afterthought.

Agree! Camino a Mi Amor is very catchy and fits the ambient of the game perfectly!

Camino a Mi Amor is a classic to me already. Fits perfectly. Trying to warm up to Crusing Line. Seems a bit all over the place and there's some terrible sound in the third part of the song. I like that it's supposed to match up with the stage transitions though.

ShutEye

I bought outrun last night. Man oh man what a fucking game. Looking forward to getting into the options this weekend.

And go buy hang on too if you haven't.

Cruising Line might be more difficult for some to appreciate because Namiki's using brass synths as if he were orchestrating brass instruments in a J-fusion framework. It's somewhat like early-1990s Casiopea, which had more brass and rock than before, and the Latin influences heard in Magical Sound Shower. Very cool track, I think, but Camino A Mi Amor is certainly easier to understand.

I wish I could say I've beaten Fantasy Zone 1CC-style by now, but it's destroyed a face button and the slid pad from use. The game's harder than Galaxy Force II due to length, some flaws generating a vicious cycle between runs, and the general need to economize when not using stage select. Surely I'll be done before FZIIDX comes out.

ghibli99

Cruising Line might be more difficult for some to appreciate because Namiki's using brass synths as if he were orchestrating brass instruments in a J-fusion framework. It's somewhat like early-1990s Casiopea, which had more brass and rock than before, and the Latin influences heard in Magical Sound Shower. Very cool track, I think, but Camino A Mi Amor is certainly easier to understand.
Out of the two, I think Camino A Mi Amor sounds the most distinctive instrumentation-wise with its forward, clean keyboard/synth sounds, and is what may give it away as a new song. The percussion is classic Out Run, though. Lovely.

Cruising Line sounds like a mix of Magical Sound Shower and Passing Breeze, but throws in unique melodies and arrangements to make it its own. The chorus just makes me grin ear to ear, like you can literally feel the wind blowing through your hair powersliding around those corners. Really good stuff.

Chibi-Tech's tune also has a very distinctive opening, all ominous and percussive. It sounds modern in comparison to Cruising Line, which goes for nostalgia.

Anyway, I'm running out of things about OutRun to discuss. The game's a breeze, and I'll have no issue returning to it later. But I'm excited for Thunder Blade in particular, and the chance of a third wave.

ghibli99

I'm looking forward to Thunder Blade as well. The only version I played was the weird sit-down arcade one, which I never cared for since it was so... "manual"... and the home versions we got in the US all sucked AFAIK, so it should be pretty glorious. I loved Blue Thunder growing up, so it'll be a nice nostalgia kick too!

Now if only we could get Power Drift, that would be my dream come true.

ghibli99

Finally got to Goal A. I used to be able to breeze through to every one, not so much anymore! The Cornering mod is pretty neat. Mash the gas and go for the most part, but it can also give you a false sense of confidence (as evidenced by my two crashes the first time playing with it on). Makes what used to be tricky easier, but turning too sharply now becomes a problem where it wasn't before, so it changes things, but not so much that it breaks the game. I like it.

magnetic

I think outrun 3d is the best looking 3d I've seen on the system.

It just fits the theme of "racing towards the endless horizon" perfectly. The part with the low hanging clouds looks especially stunning.

What a luxurious port. They really put a lot of work into this instead of just slapping it on the eShop. Easily worth the 5 bucks, I would payed twice as much for it without hesitation.

I also have a bit of a fetish for fast scaled 2D graphics. Outrunners is the only Outrun-series game I´ve actually played in an arcade (during a summer vacation in the netherlands), and it has a similar look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJXC1uUlm5I

If M2 made a new batch of these that required a New 3DS or had exclusive features for it (e.g. more advanced arcade boards needing the faster CPU to emulate), that would easily be my killer app to buy the N3DS.

duckroll

After unlocking everything, I've been redoing routes using different combinations of the tuning stuff. I really like how M2 got the most out of the limited assets they had to work with. Every different combination of the tune-up parts has a slightly different result. There are two body sprites they use, and various different coloring and detailing on the sprites to create distinctive looks. The handling is immediately obvious too. More forgiving turns, no longer spinning out and flipping when hitting another car, being able to drive off road in the routes where there aren't barriers on the sides, going much faster, etc. Great stuff. M2 really put a lot more effort into this bonus stuff than they needed to.

Doing System Update on my XL right now so I can buy OutRun... Damn it's downloading slow, and the first attempt failed. *Crossing fingers*

Fake edit: Crap, failed again! :(

Anyone know how big is the update download typically? Maybe I should try tethering it to my phone

Real edit: I kept the 3DS in standby for a while and when I opened it got a notification about new software that has downloaded (YouTube and Pokémon Shuffle) and then it asked me to update and it finished successfully in no time! Seems like it downloaded the update during sleep? I didn't know that was possible. And wow I didn't even know Themes were a thing! (I haven't updated in ages), there's gonna be many new things to checkout looks like I'll be glued to my 3DS for a while :D

And I just finished reading the OutRun interviews, so good.

davedc226

Downloaded Outrun 3D last night and it is much better than I expected. Some how playing with the Circle pad feels just right, and the 3D effects are pretty nifty.

ghibli99

Downloaded Outrun 3D last night and it is much better than I expected. Some how playing with the Circle pad feels just right, and the 3D effects are pretty nifty.
Agreed. I can actually pull off something resembling "finesse" in Out Run. LOL

Oh, and the more I listen to the new songs, the more they feel like they've been a part of the game since the beginning.

Once I pull myself away from this, it'll be back to Fantasy Zone. I used to always do the "buy all engines" cheat in the SMS version... the arcade one feels pretty foreign to me because it was pretty rare to find it in arcades in the states.

djlr181

I'll have to back the opinion on the two new songs. I wasn't really expecting much, but IMO, they fit in perfectly with the original 3. They sound just like they were made for this game, and not just an afterthought.

New songs are great. Also, erased silly message about their being 3 news song, which is super incorrect.

It just fits the theme of "racing towards the endless horizon" perfectly. The part with the low hanging clouds looks especially stunning.
Personally I love the Holland stage, which, though not as impressive as the one with arches overhanging the dips and hills, is more colorful and has a variety of set-pieces, like the flower fields, windmills, and one great seascape to the left of the road.

Also, these games sounds amazing with headphones on. They're giving me reasons to fiddle with each game's equalizer! Only two new songs for this version (no Step On Beat or anything).

Khaz

If M2 made a new batch of these that required a New 3DS or had exclusive features for it (e.g. more advanced arcade boards needing the faster CPU to emulate), that would easily be my killer app to buy the N3DS.

STOP TALKING NONSENSE!

It would make me buy one too :(

New 3DS-exclusive ports wouldn't be a bad idea, though I see that working better a couple of years from now when there's more widespread adoption. Using that could make Power Drift, OutRunners, and maybe even Model 1 games feasible, supposing that more processing speed can help M2 get their selected games up to 120 frames per second like usual.

Nintendo World Report review, not the same as their import review.

ghibli99

Just made the "mistake" of playing with the speed upgrade turned on and with the 3D slider maxxed out. I think I'm going to vomit. LOL

Welp. I have an American 3DS but I don't live there so my credit card doesn't work on the US eShop. I got around that in the past by changing my region to Brazil and buying from their eshop, but it seems that's not possible anymore thanks to NNID. Is my only option now to buy redeemable card codes?

I have a previous balance of $5.10 so close! But now I'll have to spend an extra $10 + fees to buy Out Run :(

Sorry for the off topic post.

Well. I'm going to say that I am LOVING these things and can not wait to populate my "3D Classics" folder with more..

HNI_0060.JPG

Yes, I consider Steel Empire to be a 3D Sega Genesis classic. :p

Zenner

Do these ever go on sale on the 3DS eStore? I'm down for picking a few of these up, but saving a few bux is good, too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The first wave of games is on sale on the EU eShop, but not once have they been discounted in the US.

.hacked

How are the older 3d classics?

Have not DLed:

Ecco the Dolphin
Altered Beast
Shinobi III
Sonic
Super Hang On

Veal

I love the credit sequence! I think it's pretty crazy the the 3DS has ended up with the definitive version of so many Sega games haha!

ghibli99

Really wish Nintendo would continue their 3D Classics line. F Zero, Super Punch Out, Super Metroid...there's so many I would buy.
Agreed that it'd be nice, but I'm definitely enjoying the arcade conversions more. Stuff like Shinobi, Alien Syndrome, Super Monaco GP, etc. would all be great to see brought home with the same care and love as we've seen thus far. Not sure if it's possible, but a 3D treatment of Astal from the Saturn era would be superb too!

MegalonJJ

Banned
They should have marketed Out Run 3D as a system seller, it's so fucking awesome. (Prob biased cos I always Liked it, but man M2 done a great job).

Top Bottom