• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

AmyS

How are the older 3d classics?

Have not DLed:

Ecco the Dolphin
Altered Beast
Shinobi III
Sonic
Super Hang On

Haven't played Ecco
Altered Beast is based on the Mega Drive / Genesis version, the 3D effect is pretty weak. Better off getting the far superior System 16B arcade version on Wii Virtual Console Arcade (or XBLA / PSN).
Shinobi III is really good.
I hear Sonic is really great too.
Super Hang On is truly excellent, based on the arcade and has a very strong 3D effect. Pretty difficult.

If there is indeed a third wave (starting with Streets Of Rage 2?) I truly hope it includes the arcade version of Super Monaco GP. It should not be a problem for M2 at all because the arcade version used the exact same Super Scaler board as After Burner II and Thunder Blade. Super Monaco GP arcade has never been brought home in perfect form on any platform even in Japan.

Games such as Rad Mobile, Out Runners and Golden Axe The Revenge of Death Adder might be unrealistic targets to emulate on 3DS because the System 32 board was much more powerful than the Y Board that powered Galaxy Force II (and Power Drift) and M2 had the most difficulty with Galaxy Force II.

I know Power Drift is far more popular and loved than Super Monaco GP, but I want SMGP the most. But both would be realistic for M2 to bring to 3DS since they've already emulated other games from both boards.

3D Out Run is fantastic though. 60FPS has been done to look and play correctly, unlike the Saturn version's 60FPS Smooth Mode which has already been discussed.

ghibli99

But even without the 3D, Out Run's totally worth the purchase. I still feel slightly weird from my earlier full-on 3D sesson. @_@

Edit: The thought of smgp with the simulated magnified shell brings a big grin to my face!

AmyS

I really need to get a New 3DS XL, I've been playing on an OG 2011 3DS far too long.

But how would I get my Sega 3D Classics from OG 3DS to a NA New 3DS XL? I know transferring is a major issue but didn't read much about the details.

ghibli99

But how would I get my Sega 3D Classics from OG 3DS to a NA New 3DS XL? I know transferring is a major issue but didn't read much about the details.
Although the process seems lengthy, it's pretty easy. I've already done it twice, from an OG 3DS to an XL and then from the XL to the nXL. Definitely worth it. Can't believe I put up with the 3D on the old systems after experiencing it on the nXL!

HUELEN10

Confession time: I suck at OutRun. OutRun 2? That's the name of my game, but this? How do I get gud?

Like, it's not about drifting like 2 is. How am I supposed to "grasp" this amazing game.

I used to play Out Run on Master System with the Sega 3D Glasses. Never saw it in arcades. Imagine how I feel about this version. This is fantastic!

Who

Banned
Are all Sega 3D Classics Sega first party?

AKA is there no hope we'd ever get a Gunstar Heroes 3D Classic?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Are all Sega 3D Classics Sega first party?

AKA is there no hope we'd ever get a Gunstar Heroes 3D Classic?

Gunstar's not off-limits, no. They even brought it up in one of the interviews as an example of a game that would require a ton of work and one that they wouldn't be able to make unless they'd built up a ton of experience beforehand.

SEGA also owns Gunstar Heroes, right? If so, the game would be ideal alongside Streets of Rage 2 which has already been rated.

How am I supposed to "grasp" this amazing game.
Practice tripping on cars into the offroad zone at high gear, then downshifting to stop from spinning out. By doing this, you can guarantee (without upgrades) that you can regain control in such a situation. Now the focus should be on avoiding roadside obstacles, leaving room to anticipate cars' movements in a lane (before or after turns), and simply making it to a route's end with any bit of time left on the ticker. Route optimization comes after learning techniques and strategies.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Treasure owns Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, Bangai-O and Stretch Panic; all their other games are owned by their various publishers.

How are the older 3d classics?

Have not DLed:

Ecco the Dolphin
Altered Beast
Shinobi III
Sonic
Super Hang On

Ecco is.. okay.. it's nice in 3D and has good music, but I don't think it aged well.

Altered Beast is the Genesis version over the Arcade version.. which is.. eh.. it's the weakest of the things.

Shinobi III is amazing AND difficult. Love it.

Sonic is so good I want Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 to get this treatment. It's faster than ever, better than ever, and just.. I love this version of it.

Super Hang On is intensely good. Especially the 3D.

Neff

Right, tell me I'm not imagining things.

I seem to remember an obscure trick where hitting accelerate at precisely the right time after being knocked off the track would give you a speed boost, enabling you to get back in the race much quicker. I know for a fact that this was in the Saturn version, but I have no idea if it was a bug or a legit feature of the arcade version.

Any light shed on this would be welcome, as I can't find any info about it.

Who

Banned
Gunstar's not off-limits, no. They even brought it up in one of the interviews as an example of a game that would require a ton of work and one that they wouldn't be able to make unless they'd built up a ton of experience beforehand.

Ah ok good to know...thanks

Also, does anyone else seem confuzzled as to how Sega can release these games remastered in 3D but Nintendo isn't able to release basic ports of their SNES games?

Also, does anyone else seem confuzzled as to how Sega can release these games remastered in 3D but Nintendo isn't able to release basic ports of their SNES games?

Nintendo doesn't have the intensity of M2.

Those people are GODS amongst mortals.

AdanVC

Yeah... another wasted potential brought to you by Nintendo. Back in 2011, when Virtual Console was announced for 3DS. My very first thought was: "omfg, SNES games on 3D! It is going to look glorious" and here we are almost at the end of 3DS life-cycle and nothing. We don't even have SNES games on 3DS hahaha.... *cries* But I'm truly gateful for this SEGA classics remastered properly by a talented team like M2.

jesus christ the 3d is cool in these. galaxy force 2 wtf. eyesploding

edit: what a great time to have discounts on those older releases. superhyped for outrun, and then I ended up picking up everything except ecco and altered beast (because they are shitttttttt). beautiful.

had to get afterburner2 too, even without discount :O

FINALLY I'VE GOTTEN TO OPA-OPA'S FATHER ARGH—

Every little situation's been accounted for in every stage in either of my ergonomic configurations. I've scrutinized the miniscule details and double standards (endless balloons in some rounds, but only two allowed in Polaria if you die once?). And now I know how many lives I'm going to have once I reach the end, and it's looking good on that front. For those not in touch, I'm playing on 1-star, Japanese version, which I assume is the more difficult one and the variant Kamiya played and loves. This game's got issues, but man is it satisfying when a run comes together.

This GameSkinny review's pretty decent to my surprise, ending with an observation about how Fantasy Zone discusses or intimates the influence of the mid-1980s Japanese economic bubble on the plot and game itself. I'd say economy, in a literal and figurative sense, is this game's theme, where even the visuals are spare but suggestive.

kinn

The 3D is really good for Outrun. These super scaler games really convert good.

Ive bought Space Harrier, Outrun, Galaxy Force 2 and Streets of Rage all on the sale. But Afterburner 2 wasnt in the sale. I had to pay normal price for that...How come? UK by the way.

Out of all these, which do you guys reckon has the best 3d? Id say Galaxy Force 2.

duckroll

The 3D is really good for Outrun. These super scaler games really convert good.

Ive bought Space Harrier, Outrun, Galaxy Force 2 and Streets of Rage all on the sale. But Afterburner 2 wasnt in the sale. I had to pay normal price for that...How come? UK by the way.

Out of all these, which do you guys reckon has the best 3d? Id say Galaxy Force 2.

Afterburner II, Fantasy Zone, and Outrun are part of the new current series. Fantasy Zone 2 and Thunderblade are next. The sales is for the previous series which was released in 2013.

GenG3000

I've noticed one of the last levels in Ecco isn't displaying 3D properly for me. It's
Pteranodon Pond
. I can set the depth, but the caves, the interactive elements and ecco itself appear all flat. It's as if the elements of this stage in particular didn't have depth data. Is it my imagination?

I think a lot of people said GF2 had the best 3D out of the first batch, even calling it the best 3D they've seen on the 3DS period (and I'm in that camp). But it might have been dethroned by Out Run for some folk from what I read this week. I haven't played it yet, will do in a day or two, and I suspect it will end up being my favorite 3D effect. I love the game's colorful aesthetic.

duckroll

Hardcore OutRun fans, what's the difference between the "New" and "Old" setting in 3D OutRun? I haven't been able to notice any appreciable differences...

The course layout. The way the stages are positioned along the map are different in Old and New. You can see the difference by checking the map before the game starts.

kinn

Afterburner II, Fantasy Zone, and Outrun are part of the new current series. Fantasy Zone 2 and Thunderblade are next. The sales is for the previous series which was released in 2013.

Thanks for the info.

Hows the 3D in Fantasy Zone?

I still maintain that Galaxy Force II has the best 3D effect of any game on the system. Every person I show the game to (Even people I know that usually hate the 3D effect on the system) usually admits that GFII's 3D is kinda rad.

Hows the 3D in Fantasy Zone?
Excellent, but more subtle than in other arcade ports in the series. You'll appreciate it the more you play, the effect growing rather than dulling like in the Super-Scalar games.

I think After Burner II and GFII are fairly close, OutRun and Super Hang-On a tad behind. The 3D's usually stronger when more sprites are being rendered.

Is Galaxy Force more playable than Afterburner? I can never comprehend what's going on, visually, with the latter. It's incredibly frustrating.

orborborb

Is Galaxy Force more playable than Afterburner? I can never comprehend what's going on, visually, with the latter. It's incredibly frustrating.

yes, unlike afterburner II I definitely feel like I can understand why I'm failing in galaxy force II, but the difficulty is still tuned for quarter-munching rather than rewarding/improving skill

On arcade settings you can play from the first stage or practice worlds individually—the latter approach is not as frustrating IMO. GFII's never so much about your reflexes the way ABII ends up being. It's overwhelming at first: you'll need to experiment to discover optimal targets for locking-on in relation to constant acceleration. Malkland in particular stumped me for a while, since it had practically everything get in my path (the world after it hurts similarly). But if you set vulcan to auto, the only worries in your control scheme will be missiles and movement within the frame. I think Fantasy Zone's closer to the quarter-muncher stereotype (JPN revision on base settings actually); GFII is a much shorter game and has enough non-linearity within stages for player growth, making it easier.

Voliko

yes, unlike afterburner II I definitely feel like I can understand why I'm failing in galaxy force II, but the difficulty is still tuned for quarter-munching rather than rewarding/improving skill
I don't think that's true at all. I strictly only started from the first stage and would get farther almost every time. It was very rewarding to keep getting better and better at the game. It's not that hard to 1cc once you know the layouts and enemy patterns.

After Burner II on the other hand... that game just goes over my head.

Didn't get any stars either. I think Fantasy Zone was the last one to give me stars. (EU here)

And man, finally having my GAF account approved feels great :)

zpiders

I got 3D Space Harrier and its absolutely fantastic. The 3D and touch controls fit the game really well. I'll definitely be picking up the rest of this collection during this sale.

TheMoon

They're stars in Europe, but Nintendo stopped awarding any sorts of Club Nintendo points for anything released worldwide on or after the retail release of the New 3DS outside of Japan and Australia.

Nope, games still give stars until March 31 in PAL land. Xenoblade 3D will be the first release without them.

ascii42

Playing 3D Outrun made me put Outrun 2006 into my PS2, man I love that game. It also made me wish I had my Outrun cabinet with me. Sadly it's still at my parents'

kinn

I still maintain that Galaxy Force II has the best 3D effect of any game on the system. Every person I show the game to (Even people I know that usually hate the 3D effect on the system) usually admits that GFII's 3D is kinda rad.

Having played some more GF2....yeah I agree!

Excellent, but more subtle than in other arcade ports in the series. You'll appreciate it the more you play, the effect growing rather than dulling like in the Super-Scalar games.

I think After Burner II and GFII are fairly close, OutRun and Super Hang-On a tad behind. The 3D's usually stronger when more sprites are being rendered.

Thanks for the info!

Neff

Galaxy Force II is essentially half shooter, half racing game. After Burner is about not getting blown out of the sky by insta-kill bogeys by doing crazy split-second evades and destroying an entire army in return. GF is about trying to make it to the end of the stage before your fuel runs out, and shooting stuff makes it easier to avoid, which would otherwise slow you down.

GFII is by far the easier and more relaxing game, although it does get hard. More playable though? I think After Burner II is better as a pure arcade experience. Once you learn the fighter patterns and when those cheap little Harrier shits are going to hammer you with close range missiles, or when a plane is about to surprise you with an attack from behind, it becomes more manageable.

pupcoffee

Outrun isn't out in Australia yet.

But I have played Space Harrier for the first time. This might be one of my favourite games ever.

Top Bottom