• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was planning to buy one of the game on sales on the EU eshop. some suggestion?
I was thinking about Super hang on, Space Harrier or Altered beast.

GenG3000

I was planning to buy one of the game on sales on the EU eshop. some suggestion?

Super Hang-On and Space Harrier are very good games with unlimited replay value. Altered Beast is a bad beat'em up and the Genesis version is even worse than the Arcade one, definitely the worse and less relevant game of the 3D Classics. If you need a beat'em up, you have to go for Streets of Rage.

Celine

Holy shit, so Outrun 3D is finally out in Europe? Awesome.
And there is a sales too for the past titles? Double awesome.
Probably going for Outrun, Shinobi 3 and Space Harrier.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Galaxy Force II is one hell of a spectacle and a terrific showcase of both SEGA arcade wizardry and your 3DS' capabilities. Quite the looker.

Celine

Galaxy Force II is one hell of a spectacle and a terrific showcase of both SEGA arcade wizardry and your 3DS' capabilities. Quite the looker.
I changed my mind:
Outrun, Shinobi 3 and Galaxy Force 2.

Man I would do anything for Virtua Racing\Fighter 3D. Daytona if Sega were feeling really generous.
If there was a righteous god we will get Sega System 32 games for the third wave:
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder , Dark Edge, SegaSonic the Hedgehog, F1 Super Lap.

Then for the fourth wave Model 1 and 2 games:
Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Daytona USA.

Man I would do anything for Virtua Racing\Fighter 3D. Daytona if Sega were feeling really generous.

Dude! Imagine Daytona with not only fantastic 3D, but online play as well!

My friends and I still play Daytona USA all the time on 360.

So have the 3D titles never been on sale in the U.S.?

Definitely picking up Outrun, but I would love to get some others on sale.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Super Hang-On and Space Harrier are very good games with unlimited replay value. Altered Beast is a bad beat'em up and the Genesis version is even worse than the Arcade one, definitely the worse and less relevant game of the 3D Classics. If you need a beat'em up, you have to go for Streets of Rage.

good to know, thank you!

Man I would do anything for Virtua RacingFighter 3D. Daytona if Sega were feeling really generous.

I want Virtual Racing sooo bad.

I changed my mind:

You can't go wrong with any one of those. And it would be difficult to recommend one over the other since they're pretty different genres. What does your heart tell you? Turn off your analytical brain and choose with your gut.

Celine

You can't go wrong with any one of those. And it would be difficult to recommend one over the other since they're pretty different genres. What does your heart tell you? Turn off your analytical brain and choose with your gut.
I meant all three.
Sooo good.

I meant all three.
Sooo good.

Great picks!

I'm getting Out Run today, psyched about it. I'll have spare credit for another game, not sure to pick up Afterburner or wait for Thunder Blade.

Edit: thought TB was next but checked OP and it's for May, so that's a long way off. Also why doesn't OP have descriptions for Thunder Blade or Fantasy Zone 2 like the rest of the games? People skimming through it might think the second wave ends at Out Run.

Great picks!

I'm getting Out Run today, psyched about it. I'll have spare credit for another game, not sure to pick up Afterburner or wait for Thunder Blade.

Edit: thought TB was next but checked OP and it's for May, so that's a long way off. Also why doesn't OP have descriptions for Thunder Blade or Fantasy Zone 2 like the rest of the games? People skimming through it might think the second wave ends at Out Run.

I have After Burner II and I absolutely love it. It's fast (really fast) and has a fantastic soundtrack. You also get to fly an F-14D.

The game can be frustrating at first, though. First time I played it I totaled the plane every 3 seconds. But you get the hang of it eventually and it becomes very addicting!

Celine

Now I can confirm that Outrun in 3D at 60fps is orgasm inducing.
Shinobi III and Galaxy Force 2 are obviously also good but Outrun is incredible (as a whole package).

3D Out Run!

simon-cowell-gif-youre-awesome-the-x-factor-happy-sigh.gif

Predictably I suck at it. Can't get past the second checkpoint, lol. I need to watch a "How to play Outrun" tutorial video or something :p

If I keep the gear change setting to Switch I keep forgetting to change to Hi gear... is there an acceleration penalty if I set it to Hold and stay at Hi gear?

Robin64

Predictably I suck at it. Can't get past the second checkpoint, lol. I need to watch a "How to play Outrun" tutorial video or something :p

Just do what did and have no shame in it. Dropped the difficulty to 1 star, timer to 99, finished the first route. This then unlocked the first car tuning option which made the game a lot easier to play. As I unlocked more bits I turned the difficulty back up.

Raptomex

Out Run is another amazing port. I think I unlocked everything in under an hour. This and Afterburner II are my favorites. All the M2 ports are amazing but these are just my favorite games out of all of them.

Khaz

If I keep the gear change setting to Switch I keep forgetting to change to Hi gear... is there an acceleration penalty if I set it to Hold and stay at Hi gear?

Drive automatic, it's easier and there's no real penalty for using it. Once you're accustomed to the driving you can put it back to manual like in the arcade.
Also, even though the game doesn't encourage you to, you have to sometimes let go of the pedal and even brake once in a while.

I changed my mind:

Space Harrier is the better game imo, less complex and more fun to be had.

Drive automatic, it's easier and there's no real penalty for using it. Once you're accustomed to the driving you can put it back to manual like in the arcade.
Also, even though the game doesn't encourage you to, you have to sometimes let go of the pedal and even brake once in a while.

I didn't see the option for automatic in the settings, and I went over them a few times. I'll need to look for it. And I do let go of acceleration sometimes.

The music is already stuck in my head after a few minutes of play and I'm not previously familiar with these tunes! Proof that the soundtrack in this game is objectively God-Tier.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess I should ask how much will I like this if I had a decent time with Online Arcade? I also have 2006: Coast 2 Coast for PS2 that I bought last year for about $8.

Also, is it wrong that I was kind of hoping for tracks like Risky Ride & Shiny World to get "retro" versions for this port?

Khaz

With the release of Fantasy zone last month, I finally decided to get the Volume 33 of Sega Ages 2500 for the PS2: Fantasy Zone complete collection. Damn if this thing is complete! among every thing else, there are superplay records to watch. Not videos, but actual gameplay recorded with the game engine. It's cool as there are no compression artifact and we can apply filters (dat 480p with added scanlines), but there is no fast-forward or back. I decided to watch the one for Fantasy Zone, and:

- I didn't even know there were multiple loops in this game.
- Dude has recorded one hour and a half of non-stop gameplay. I can barely play for five minutes.
- He breezed through the first three loops only to buy his fisrt special weapon near the end of it.
- Encountered actual challenge starting with the fourth, where he started doing the strategies we discussed.
- Finally died during the seventh loop, at the 54th stage. With a score of 25744860.
- Some interesting strategies for the bosses I'm going to copy immediately.
- Even though I saw him doing it six times, I still have no idea how to beat O-papa.
- It's probably easier to play on a bigger screen, you can actually see the bullets. But an LCD won't help your reflexes I'm afraid.

Just do what did and have no shame in it. Dropped the difficulty to 1 star, timer to 99, finished the first route. This then unlocked the first car tuning option which made the game a lot easier to play. As I unlocked more bits I turned the difficulty back up.

I did that with Galaxy Force II and it made the game completely devoid of challenge. And I rarely ever play through games multiple times so I'm worried of ruining Out Run for me if I do that.

Space Harrier is the better game imo, less complex and more fun to be had.
Longer game, too. On the other hand, GFII's content never gets old, you can get just as close to how the arcade original played, and the added complexity in structure and scoring makes all the difference for me.

I've no doubt Fantasy Zone superplays are soul-crushingly badass. We ain't got shit on the arcade scorelers.

GenG3000

I take it the fact that there's been no new ones in Japan means that this is likely it for this line-up? :(

There's ThunderBlade and Fantasy Zone II still to come.

EDIT: I didn't know these were already released in Japan. Who knows what will happen next, but they still have lots of Arcade and Genesis classics with potential buyers.

Khaz

I take it the fact that there's been no new ones in Japan means that this is likely it for this line-up? :(

Wave two was announced a few months after we got wave one in the west.

[edit] Even if they don't do arcade conversions any more, they still have a working Gigadrive emulator to make 3D Megadrive conversions relatively easily.

Empty

i don't even know if it's possible but racing under the arches in outrun 3d made me wish for a panzer dragoon 3d classic

outrun 3d is spectacular.

GigaDrive ports are definitely in the running, perhaps as a Hail Mary by Okunari to fund more arcade releases by tapping Western buyers. If they do Gunstar Heroes, that + SoR2 should do some good business-wise, and I bet Thunder Force IV would also get a crowd and lots of ratings on the eShop.

Was playing Out Run with headphones. So good. Anyone lower the sound effects and engine noise a notch or two to let the music shine?

Game is so pretty. I love the forking paths idea. I'm not very good at the game but I'm gradually advancing as I keep playing, and it's so refreshing to be able to chose a new path or a less travelled one for a change of scenery when you've been going over the same one for a while. It makes trying over and over again not tedious.

I hate when the road goes uphill, it's scary when you're going at top speed and you can't see what's coming up.

Wanted to buy After Burner II but eShop is under maintenance ”try again later" - Ugh! Never saw that message before.

Was playing Out Run with headphones. So good. Anyone lower the sound effects and engine noise a notch or two to let the music shine?
I've done that and the reverse just to hear the sound team's handiwork. OutRun was one of the first vehicle-centric games with great engine sounds, and it still rocks that aspect today. Not hot on how the skids turned out, but hey, at least we have PCM drum parts in the music. Re: going up the hills, that's my favorite part, though it's daunting if you don't know what's up ahead.

Using the offroad tires and engine upgrade to drive right beside the arches is more fun than it should be, especially when you get to the flower fields and the sprites scale in weird ways.

I wish so much that there was an edit path mode! Like, drag and drop the track sections into the normal branching grid. I wonder why that wasn't implemented? Something to do with the way the game calculates checkpoint time?

Neff

Wishlist...

Shinobi
Power Drift
Sonic 2
Golden Axe (arcade)
The Super Shinobi (aka Revenge of Shinobi)
Streets of Rage II
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (arcade)

Celine

Damn I was so close to reaching the last segment with the left most route.
This conversion perfected a masterpiece.

Oh and before I forget, Splash Wave for life.

Raitaro

3D Out Run!

Yeah, it's not an easy game is it? Discovered that first hand when I played the arcade game for the first time a few years ago in Las Vegas (of all places). (And again when I tried getting into it on the Yu Suzuki collection on Dreamcast.)

Luckily this new port does seem to offer some difficulty options so people like us can at least train to get better!

Khaz

I wish so much that there was an edit path mode! Like, drag and drop the track sections into the normal branching grid. I wonder why that wasn't implemented? Something to do with the way the game calculates checkpoint time?

You can choose between two maps already, which indicates that with a little bit of work, you could have a map editor or even a track editor. I guess they are not that dedicated eh.

You can get a track and map editor here for use with Cannonball or inject into the original arcade.

Voliko

I finally 1CC'd Super Hang-On Expert. I really had to sit down and put some time into it instead of just playing it in short bursts and giving up for months. I don't even want to know how many times I reset the game during the first half of the race.

This still might be the most intense game I have ever played. There's very little room for error and there's nothing quite like flying down the road towards the end with practically no time to spare knowing that even knocking into another driver will kill your chances of finishing the race. A true classic and one of Sega's finest games period.

Got my sweatshirt in the mail today too! It's pretty nice. I thought it was black from the photos but it's actually navy.

jerry1594

With the release of Fantasy zone last month, I finally decided to get the Volume 33 of Sega Ages 2500 for the PS2: Fantasy Zone complete collection. Damn if this thing is complete! among every thing else, there are superplay records to watch. Not videos, but actual gameplay recorded with the game engine. It's cool as there are no compression artifact and we can apply filters (dat 480p with added scanlines), but there is no fast-forward or back. I decided to watch the one for Fantasy Zone, and:

- I didn't even know there were multiple loops in this game.
- Dude has recorded one hour and a half of non-stop gameplay. I can barely play for five minutes.
- He breezed through the first three loops only to buy his fisrt special weapon near the end of it.
- Encountered actual challenge starting with the fourth, where he started doing the strategies we discussed.
- Finally died during the seventh loop, at the 54th stage. With a score of 25744860.
- Some interesting strategies for the bosses I'm going to copy immediately.
- Even though I saw him doing it six times, I still have no idea how to beat O-papa.
- It's probably easier to play on a bigger screen, you can actually see the bullets. But an LCD won't help your reflexes I'm afraid.
Where did you buy it? I'd buy it but not for 50-60$

ghibli99

Finally got around to buying Shinobi III, and I really like it! I love how each individual parallax layer has depth, and the game is just tons of fun to play. Harder than I remember, and for some reason the music doesn't seem as crisp as I think it should sound (Whirlwind in particular), but it's still a very good port of one of the best Genesis games.

Wishlist...

Shinobi
Power Drift

Sonic 2
Golden Axe (arcade)
The Super Shinobi (aka Revenge of Shinobi)
Streets of Rage II
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (arcade)
Good list. I'd buy 'em all, especially the highlighted ones. :)

Whoa After Burner is intense! So much stuff going on all at once. Love the 3D effect on the incoming missiles and smoke trails.

Also dat music.

You can always tell a lot about someone based on their choice of Out Run music.
Nah, it's all about Enduro Racer. Piano rockabilly, drum samples, and dat switch into rock for a bit. Still manages to have a signature Hiro melody, too.

I'd love to play this game as a 3D Classic, but it's a tough sell: not as leisurely as OutRun, nor as intense as SHO, and it's the most drab looking of the first Super Scalar games next to Space Harrier and Hang-On.

Voliko

I'd love to see some more obscure stuff, especially things that never got ported (Racing Hero, Revenge of Death Adder) or didn't get good ports (Super Monaco GP), but they don't seem feasible and/or justifiable. Oh, and it would be awesome to see Comix Zone in 3D. Another pipedream pick of mine.

Comix Zone, Streets of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes, Thunder Force IV, and Eternal Champions or Decap Attack would all make for a neat Wave 3 Mega Drive slate, though I need to refresh my knowledge of the system's library. Re: obscure arcade releases, I still think Power Drift's in the running due to Suzuki designing it, so I'm satisfied knowing it's a front-runner if M2 feels up to a challenge.

Top Bottom