• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

retroman

Any other classic Sega arcade games that haven't been brought up so far and that might deserve a slot in wave 3? Feel free to list your favorites and make a case for them, however obscure they are I'd say.

Has Rad Mobile been mentioned yet?

radmobile4.png

1181242155221.jpg

Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XncxT0qd1o

I'd also like to see Dark Edge on the 3DS. The game seems to be wonky as hell (I've never played it), but just think how awesome those visuals would look in 3D!

1135889632.jpg

darkedge-02.png

Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZK9Fix4AVM

duckroll

I'll do that assuming I die at O-papa, have a life to spend, and got enough money to buy as many Heavy Bombs as possible. Otherwise, it's gonna be about snaking the missile and Twin Bomb-ing it.

You can also try to get him to kill himself, but due to the speed it really depends on your reaction time and a bit of luck. Either way, when I finally beat that sucker, I have NO idea how I did it. I was spamming bombs and moving around the top area like a crazy person and then he died. either I managed to make him suicide on himself, or a bomb hit him. Not sure which happened first! Lololol.

Raitaro

Getting conversions from System32 games by M2 would be rad.

What are your favorites, if I may ask? I've never played any of them I think.

Also, for anyone wanting to have a good list with pictures and art work of Sega (and other) arcade games, handily organised by arcade hardware and spanning pretty much all era's, I urge you to visit the excellent System16 website. Maybe some here didn't know of this resource yet.

As an example, here are links to the System 32 section and System 18 section (of which I wouldn't mind a game like Shadow Dancer).

Celine

What are your favorites, if I may ask? I've never played any of them I think.
Never played to those in the arcades that's why I would love conversions by M2.

These are my hypothetical third wave for System32 from two pages ago:
If there was a righteous god we will get Sega System 32 games for the third wave:
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder , Dark Edge, SegaSonic the Hedgehog, F1 Super Lap.

Then for the fourth wave Model 1 and 2 games:
Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Daytona USA.

Y'all want newer games, but what I'd really like is a Turbo-Monaco GP double-bill paying tribute to SEGA's first racing games of the arcade. We could have recreations of Turbo in 3D and Monaco GP in 2D, which is better than not having it whatsoever (game wasn't programmed digitally, so emulation's virtually impossible).

I want Virtual Racing. I only played the Mega Drive version but always wanted to try the arcade or the 32X ones. Would kill for that on 3DS.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What's the next game coming Fantasy Zone 2?
Yup, Fantasy Zone 2 in April, then May will bring the final game in Wave 2 with Thunder Blade.

If I had to guess, considering the games have been coming out around the middle of the month, I'd say April 16th for FZ2, then May 14th for Thunder Blade. Give or take a week.

If you guys had your way the next wave would be nothing but racers :p

I'd love arcade Virtual Fighter but if it's not technically possible then the Mega Drive version would be.
Is it terrible?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gave in & finally got 3D Outrun since it seems Sega wasn't gonna give out any more codes. Probably will study more, but hoping to try it tonight or tomorrow.

Celine

I'd love arcade Virtual Fighter but if it's not technically possible then the Mega Drive version would be.
Is it terrible?
Do you mean 32X's Virtua Fighter or Virtua Fighter 2 for Mega Drive?
Because the former is quite good (But I see no reason why VF1 wouldn't be doable on 3DS lol) while the latter is not very good.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Game Version: New & Old"

*checks digital manual to see if it mentions the difference, says nothing*

Dang it, if you're going to include different versions, i.e "new & old" or regional versions, TELL ME THE DIFFERENCES.

SoA's technical writers clearly aren't being told all the exact details involved with settings options...that or they're incompetent, but I'm more willing to blame management's negligence.

Old version = Japanese original, new = International equivalent; both have difference in stage layout.

If we get Virtua Racing, I'm hoping M2 uses the SEGA AGES version with added courses and options.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ahh, okay.

This isn't even the first time it's happened. I remember in Sonic Mega Collection, you could unlock 2 other versions of Sonic 1. I had to look up why they were different (one had a bug where you weren't invincible on spikes while you were in a damaged stage & I don't remember the other). It's just annoying when I have to do research why there's different versions of a game. Granted, interesting to learn why they differ, but I wish the game would tell me.

I like the idea of including different versions of games, but if you do, let me know why you did so.

SoA's technical writers clearly aren't being told all the exact details involved with settings options...that or they're incompetent, but I'm more willing to blame management's negligence.

Old version = Japanese original, new = International equivalent; both have difference in stage layout.

If we get Virtua Racing, I'm hoping M2 uses the SEGA AGES version with added courses and options.

In the "Old" version I noticed that the starting part of the stage isn't split for as long. I'm glad I can bypass arches and cliffside stages if I want. They're kind of rough so early on.

In the "Old" version I noticed that the starting part of the stage isn't split for as long. I'm glad I can bypass arches and cliffside stages if I want. They're kind of rough so early on.
Right: the lanes are separated longer in the New version, probably to make sure players feel comfortable moving in a tight space (or to restrict that so you can learn to shift appropriately).

You don't know frustration until you miss a day of practice and Fantasy Zone suddenly gets a shit-ton harder than it was a couple of times before.

Speaking of which, I've got a plan: kill the five aliens with 7-Way Shot and then use Smart Bombs on the last one. Failing that, I'll need to practice with using the Heavy Bomb or Fire Bombs.

Guyz, I do declare that Super Hang-On > Out Run

Things Super Hang-On does better or additional features:
+Aesthetics (subjective preference)
+Speed (Edit: After playing both again and comparing I think they're roughly the same in this regard)
+Gameplay/complexity (Turbo button)
+Challenge (a lot more riders on the road, plus easier to crash)
+Number and variety of stages (dat night time!)
+Parallax in backgrounds (don't recall that in Out Run. Edit: played again and looked closely and it's there, but harder to notice)
+Music (subjective preference)
+Cabinet Tilt
+Gyro control

Europe ending is so good :D

Something I learned today from Wikipedia: In the Mega Drive version, finishing the Europe stage shows an ending where a woman approaches the rider (presumably to kiss him), but she walks away awkwardly when the rider pulls off her helmet, and is shown to actually be a woman.

Also "Original Mode"??

Original Mode is only found in home versions and is much more in depth than the arcade mode. The player must face off against seven different opponents in races of increasing track difficulty and length. If the player wins the best out of nine races, they are promoted to face the next challenger. Lose the best out of nine, and they are demoted.

Gameplay in this mode is similar to the arcade mode with these differences: there are no time limits to worry about, taking too much damage or allowing any parts to wear out completely will force the player to retire from the race, the player is racing against a rival, and turbo is not available until an engine with turbo has been purchased. The main screen is a menu where the player has several options, much like the main screen in Rock n' Roll Racing. The player can buy new parts for his or her bike, hire a new mechanic, or start a race. This screen displays the player's current money as well as password for continuing his or her game.

In Original Mode, the bike can be upgraded by buying new parts for it, and they will be better maintained by paying for better mechanics. Upgradable parts include the frame (determines maneuverability), engine (acceleration and whether or not the turbo feature is available), brake (deceleration), muffler (aids in acceleration), oil (aids in acceleration), and tires (improves traction).

Why isn't this in the 3DS version? Or is it? :O

Things Out Run that does better:
+Forking routes (nonlinear)
+Arches/tunnels and large roadside structures

Something I learned today from Wikipedia: The left route presents an easier stage, while the right offers a greater challenge.

Lettuce

Dunno man those last few stages on the D route of outrun are pretty fast!, but that's just to the close proximity of the road side objects, narrow roads, increase in traffic and the super low clouds oh and burn up hill

wondermega

Sigh. Outrun 3D is excellent, but it just makes me yearn to live in a parallel dimension where we got a 3D version of SNES F-Zero. I give up!!

As for wish list for future releases (Sega side) - I'd love Zaxxon but it will definitely never happen. Virtua Racing would be excellent. More platformers (Shadow Dancer, Revenge, Eswat) I'd snap up in a second. Hell I'd grab all if the OG Segascope games if they were available!

Sigh. Outrun 3D is excellent, but it just makes me yearn to live in a parallel dimension where we got a 3D version of SNES F-Zero. I give up!!

I never played SNES F-Zero, but if it's like GBA F-Zero (and from the looks of it it's very similar) then I do not want it. I bought that game at launch of the GBA and didn't like it at all. I tried it again recently and it's still meh at best. My previous F-Zero experience was N64, and later GC, both which I love very much.

I also really disliked the look and feel of GBA Mario Kart (played it on 3DS via Ambassadors program)... Not sure if all "Mode 7" racers have that janky feel to them or what. Although my brief one-time memory of playing Mario Kart on a real SNES was very positive. I'm thinking whether one likes these games or not might be tied to the time they are introduced to them, and a generous serving of nostalgia (or lack of). Why am I overthinking this?

D.Lo

It's not, because they used the arcade game as a base and it'd be extremely difficult/time-consuming to recreate such a mode from scratch.

It's also not very fun, truth be told.
I just threw on Super Hang on Mega Drive to check, and nothing in that game is fun compared to the arcade/3DS, so janky.

Super Hang On is my favourite of these so far, slightly off 3D included. Total rush and dat engine sound.

Super Hang On is my favourite of these so far, slightly off 3D included. Total rush and dat engine sound.

Yep. The engine sound when you engage Turbo is what made it feel faster than Out Run to me (even though it isn't), it adds a great "placebo" effect to the sense of speed.

I'm terrible at the game though, have to play at the lowest difficulty (where you can pass through other riders) if I don't want to keep crashing. But I'll keep practicing and get good at it one day! I think most of my troubles are due to forgetting to slow down when I should.

kinn

Been reading the Sega blogs about the development of these 3D remasters...Wow. Did not think it was this hard in bringing them to the 3ds\in 3d. I always thought it was a easy job but boy was I wrong.

And M2, they are not part of Sega?

M2's a third-party contractor and studio for making ports and original works. So they've done products like these, but also Konami's Re-Birth series and BELUGA.

Playing Super Hang-On for a bit is confirming that I've gotten a lot better at playing these games via 1CC practice. I nearly went through Junior despite having neglected the game for months!

Slermy

As for wish list for future releases (Sega side) - I'd love Zaxxon but it will definitely never happen. Virtua Racing would be excellent. More platformers (Shadow Dancer, Revenge, Eswat) I'd snap up in a second. Hell I'd grab all if the OG Segascope games if they were available!

Zaxxon was great. It'd probably work better as a remake though.

retroman

Has anybody here ever played Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom?

It looks very impressive for a game that was released in 1982!

buckrogers.gif

It'd be nice to play this game on the 3DS, don't you think? It was released without any connection to Buck Rogers (as Zoom 909) in Japan, so there shouldn't be any licensing issues if they'd just convert the Japanese version.

Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-SrMyjljSM

Or how about SubRoc-3D?

112.jpg

It sounds like a perfect fit for the 3DS:
Wikipedia said:
SubRoc-3D is an arcade game released in 1982 by Sega, and the first commercial game to provide a stereoscopic image to the player, using a display that delivers individual images to each eye. This was achieved using a special eyepiece, a viewer with spinning discs to alternate left and right images to the player's eye from a single monitor.

This is to be distinguished from the visuals used in vector games like Battlezone or 3D polygonal games like Virtua Fighter, which use algorithms to display appropriately scaled and rotated graphics to provide the illusion of three dimensions in a two-dimensional display. The graphics in SubRoc are two-dimensional, handdrawn sprites displayed in a three-dimensional tableau.

Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpTAhOp355w

Perhaps SEGA could bundle those games with Turbo, Zaxxon and Congo Bongo for us old timers :)

Voliko

Guyz, I do declare that Super Hang-On > Out Run
Agreed, the turbo button adds a whole new layer onto the gameplay. There's no wide open roads like in Outrun and nearly every fraction of a second you waste matters. Yeah, the turbo sound is awesome. I love how the pitch keeps going higher and higher, even though you don't go any faster.

Turbo and the above two games would be great for a collection of games from SEGA's formative years; better yet, they don't need to be licensed from Banpresto, which used to call itself Coreland when they made games for SEGA.

And yeah, Super Hang-On's the better game, but I thought we all knew that even before 3D OutRun.

ghibli99

retroman: Yeah, I'll take all of those. :)

Damn, Fantasy Zone is way harder than I remember... was the arcade version more difficult than the Sega Master System? Sure seems like it!

I'm also putting more time into Galaxy Force II, which is really good, now that I get that in order to make it anywhere, you basically need to go full-speed as much as possible. No wonder there's a "hold" setting for accelerate. LOL Even with the 3D off, I feel myself falling into the screen... it's crazy what kind of effect GF2 has on your eyes. Totally trips me out.

Super Hang-On is amazing, but man is it hard. I'm slowly inching my way through the Junior course, which is hilariously named given how tough it seems! Definitely much harder than anything in Out Run, although OR will always be my #1 sentimental racing favorite from Sega. The crash animations in SHO are so smooth, too.

Sega just killed it in arcades back then.

Which version of FZ are you playing? JP revision's damn tough...my Smart Bomb strat for O-papa ain't working, so it's either gonna be Heavy Bombs or buying the fastest engine to hopefully trick his last alien missile into killing itself Tron-style. But make no mistake, it's quickly becoming a favorite of mine, a lot more complex a game than it lets on (and that's excluding any close-playing I've done to figure out its hidden story).

It's funny that SHO refines and complicates the Hang-On model with its Turbo function and hills, but Turbo OutRun gets mixed opinions because of its changes. Branching routes are just that much more attractive compared to in-game shops, it seems.

If we get a Wave 3 like the rumors..

I need Golden Axe to be in it and I need Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage 2, and umm.... Beyond Oasis? Please?
With fixed controls...

I bought all of the 3D Classics, of course. Also, while it's not a "Sega 3D Classics" game.. I do have to say that Steel Empire is worth it.

Can we pretend that it is part of this series? Please?

Raitaro

Yeah, Nintendo not doing a 3D classic of F-Zero would really be a shame indeed. That game is still considered by many - including those who normally find more traditional car racing games to be boring - as one of the best racing games ever. I agree with them. There is just something about the graphics, sound and handling that makes each race feel like an adventurous and white knuckled undertaking.

(Don't get me wrong, I do like F-Zero X and GX equally as well, if not more so, but the first F-Zero would look incredible in 3D and would complement M2's sprite based Sega efforts very well.)

D.Lo

If we get a Wave 3 like the rumors..

I need Golden Axe to be in it and I need Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage 2, and umm.... Beyond Oasis? Please?
With fixed controls...
I love the Golden Axe music but it is one clunky-ass and pretty ugly game, even the arcade version. But so is Altered Beast I guess...

Sonic and SoR 2 would be likely contenders, the Mega Drive ports are likely much easier than the later arcade games.

How about games that only got Master System conversions. Like Shinobi 1 and Alien Syndrome?

Really I want every Super Scaler game.

And despite it being way out of scale for the series - Model 1/2. Virtua Cop of touch screen shooting! And Sega Rally would make me cry, I would pay $50.

Khaz

How about games that only got Master System conversions. Like Shinobi 1 and Alien Syndrome?

They really need to convert the original Master System 3D games. They're almost impossible to play nowadays except on original first revision hardware with a CRT TV, the 3D card and 3D glasses. Plus the games cost an arm each.

They really need to convert the original Master System 3D games. They're almost impossible to play nowadays except on original first revision hardware with a CRT TV, the 3D card and 3D glasses. Plus the games cost an arm each.

3D OutRun and Space Harrier have got to be coming right? The 3DS ports are already done.

Top Bottom