• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

I love the Golden Axe music but it is one clunky-ass and pretty ugly game, even the arcade version. But so is Altered Beast I guess...

Sonic and SoR 2 would be likely contenders, the Mega Drive ports are likely much easier than the later arcade games.

How about games that only got Master System conversions. Like Shinobi 1 and Alien Syndrome?

Really I want every Super Scaler game.

And despite it being way out of scale for the series - Model 1/2. Virtua Cop of touch screen shooting! And Sega Rally would make me cry, I would pay $50.

I agree with you on Golden Axe. I loved the game back then and I have memories of the Arcade version looking so vibrant and impressive, but I look at videos of it now and it looks puny, dull, and unimpressive. I shake myself when I see people wishing for it in this series.

I would also love Sega Rally so much.

Do we even know if there will be another wave after this? I'd love Nintendo to get M2 working on some of their games and making 3D classics. M2 does the GBA games on Wii U after all.

They really need to convert the original Master System 3D games. They're almost impossible to play nowadays except on original first revision hardware with a CRT TV, the 3D card and 3D glasses. Plus the games cost an arm each.

Space Harrier 3D on the SMS is one of the choppiest games I ever played. I wonder how it would look at 60fps. It would be a completely different game. Would be neat to have that, Maze Hunter..etc on the 3DS. Zaxxon 3D is terrible but it looked neat on the SMS. Shoot..I'm still impressed at how smoothly the grid thing comes at you. Almost looks like legit scaling on the SMS.

D.Lo

Space Harrier 3D on the SMS is one of the choppiest games I ever played. I wonder how it would look at 60fps. It would be a completely different game. Would be neat to have that, Maze Hunter..etc on the 3DS. Zaxxon 3D is terrible but it looked neat on the SMS. Shoot..I'm still impressed at how smoothly the grid thing comes at you. Almost looks like legit scaling on the SMS.
Oh yeah Space Harrier 3D would be weird when not running at 10fps.

Cool FM soundtrack and completely new level graphics though, it's really a sequel.

1CC'd Fantasy Zone! Took me two runs to nail the missile with a Heavy Bomb at the end...my elation knows no bounds. Great STG, can't wait for FZIIDX to come by and impress me further. My other strat would have involved a lot of precision my untrained nerves can't yet handle; I was much less tense working on Galaxy Force II than Fantasy Zone largely because of a lack of experience with middle-road STGs, but also because my 3DS's controls are worn out (the analog pad and B face-button specifically). Upa-Upa and maybe looping the main game aren't essential, but I'm going to give them a shot at some point.

Nice! I was ashamed at how long it took me to realize the Heavy Bomb was what I needed, lol.
Sadly the delay between Smart Bomb activations makes using them against the last missile impossible, so I figured dropping the anvil right before it left O-papa would be reliable by comparison. Actually, that might work for all six of the missiles; I used a 7-Way Shot to destroy all but the last.

I finished all the courses in Outrun 3D and I really wish there was more. I don't want the game to end. It's really, really good.

I started playing Outrunners on MAME to get more of my Outrun fix. I like the amount of content and how smooth the 2D scrolling is, but still, there's something about the original Outrun that I like that I just can't put my finger on. It's better than the sum of its parts.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I can't read the tweets right now but are you sure he's not talking about the company restructuring that's scheduled for April 1?

duckroll

I can't read the tweets right now but are you sure he's not talking about the company restructuring that's scheduled for April 1?

Yes that's exactly what he's talking about. Today is the last day that "Sega Corporation" will exist as a company title. From tomorrow onwards the company is restructured as a group company under Sega Holdings. The official Sega twitter also mentioned it.

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/582772470475714560
https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/582775707983478784

He was just being silly, lol.

So for April a great site called Shmuplations, which translates print/online interviews and documents related to Japanese games development, is doing both Fantasy Zone and After Burner interviews! You can view the FZ Gameside interview with Yoji Ishii already. It's a fun read, rather enlightening too as he describes the System 16's technical challenges:

—Would you say that one side of game design is working backwards from the hardware capabilities like that?

Ishii: As a director you try to use the hardware to its fullest, and it was a part of my planning process too. For example, when Opa-Opa dies and explodes in a poof of fireworks, for that we found a way to double the sprite limitation from 128 to 256. Also, with this hardware, there was a limit to the number of sprites you could have in any horizontal row, so we couldn’t do any weapons like the Gradius laser (which extends in one straight line all the way to the edge of the screen). The workaround we came up with for our lasers was to use the hardware background layers and make the laser thicker. That meant we couldn’t have diagonal or reflecting lasers, though. Given those limitations, we did our best to make something that, to a player, would still look cool.
He also based the shop mechanic on his car and motorcycle hobby. It appears the game was originally going to be called "Opa-Opa" (based on an exclamation Ishii heard in Brazil) before SEGA intervened and renamed the game to something a Space Harrier fan would recognize. All this and more!

I finished all the courses in Outrun 3D and I really wish there was more. I don't want the game to end. It's really, really good.

I started playing Outrunners on MAME to get more of my Outrun fix. I like the amount of content and how smooth the 2D scrolling is, but still, there's something about the original Outrun that I like that I just can't put my finger on. It's better than the sum of its parts.
Man, what I wouldn't give for a 3D version of Outrunners. If it's anything like 3D Outrun, it'll be nothing short of amazing. Another pipe dream would be a 3D conversion of Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got an email from SEGA yesterday to tell me that I won a sweatshirt. I had already forgotten that I participated :)
This makes you the 4th or 5th person in this thread to get a sweatshirt. It's very nice & quite warm considering how windy/cold it's been lately. Only problem is because it's a dark color, you can easily see the cat hair & such on it if you have any pet.

Considering the previous games have been released in the middle of the month, I wonder if 3D Fantasy Zone II will come out next week.

I'm expecting the interview(s) to pop up starting on Monday or Tuesday, with FZII launching around the 15th. Hopefully more people will buy it than was the case for its prequel (counting on reviews to spread word that it's practically a brand new game for non-importers and fans of the SMS title). Meanwhile, 3D OutRun reviews are trickling still, and of course it's doing better than all the other 3D Classics in sales.

Kozuka

'Bought 3D Shinobi III during sales to remember good ol'days and i'm clearly shocked, the effort put inside is awesome i can't believe SEGA is behind this. I hope it'll keep going.

AmyS

After what seems like several quiet weeks, this Thursday sees the Nintendo eShop erupted with content – new games, new DLC, demos and a bunch of other stuff.

SEGA’s 3D Fantasy Zone II (£4.49), an enhanced conversion of the Master System classic. It now packs a new endless mode, the ability to save replays and mid-level saving.

http://www.gamesasylum.com/2015/04/13/nintendo-jumps-on-zombie-bandwagon/

Reliable source ?

EDIT, also:

Sega Master System version vs System 16 remake
fz2-compare1a.png
fz2-compare1b.png

fz2-compare2a.png
fz2-compare2b.png

fz2-compare3a.png
fz2-compare3b.png

fz2-compare4a.png
fz2-compare4b.png

fz2-compare5a.png
fz2-compare5b.png

fz2-4.png
fz2dx-12.png

fz2-6.png
fz2dx-8.png

TheMoon

Nintendo's own PR is usually a reliable source ;)

Also, every 3D Classics game so far has been released in the middle of the month.

Someone sell me on Fantasy Zone... I want to want it, I read reviews and looked at videos of the first game but nothing stirred in me. Does the sequel have any chance of winning me over? I mainly don't like the art style :(

Does the sequel have any chance of winning me over? I mainly don't like the art style :(
You don't like the art style of the sequel or the original? Or both? Just need a clarification. These games are more complex to play than something like Super Hang-On (compared with other STGs the way I would SHO with other racers), but the 3D effect isn't as immediately engaging and FZ comes to life mainly once you play with arcade settings. I think having the Coin Bank and mission select to beat these games makes it a good purchase, though.

Gidim

Banned
Fantasy Zone franchise just has a great art style. I can't wait to play this one soon, I loved the last release and the second game is fun too.

Sad that we won't be getting a lot more, M2 improved on each game they released and had a crazy amount of options. Nintendo can learn a thing or two from these releases.

You don't like the art style of the sequel or the original? Or both? Just need a clarification.

Both I think, don't they have essentially the same art style? Admittedly I haven't seen much of the sequel other than the screenshots posted above.

And yeah I'm aware of the complexity of the gameplay, which I typically appreciate, but it's really hard for me to overlook a game's art style, and I can be very opinionated about that. I dismiss popular and acclaimed new games all the time after a cursory glance because I can't stomach their art style.

When it comes to old games (or new entries in old franchises), my brain seems to work like this:

If nostalgia is attached to game/franchise, then art is irrelevant. For example I suspect that if Mario games never existed before this generation, and 3D World was the first Mario game I saw, then I'm not sure that I would find its art style appealing (too colorful/kiddy for my taste). But since I have profound nostalgia to the series going back to the 8bit days, I overlook the new current art style.

If no nostalgia exists, then art is everything. Positive examples: Super Hang-On, Galaxy Force II, Space Harrier.
Negative example: Fantasy Zone.

I'm sure if I had played FZ back in the day I'd be all over these ports.

Well that's your opinion then, lol. I'd definitely buy the games as gifts if you want to support the developers and Okunari indirectly, so long as that's in the budget, but that's only a suggestion on which I give the benefit of the doubt.

Wow, FZ II will be out soon, where'd the last few months go? I'll definitely be getting it but not until I clear FZ 1 and spend some more time with Outrun.

The System-16C board that currently lives at M2’s offices. The remake of The Tears of Opa-Opa can actually run on it.

Wow. Just wow. M2 = amazing

Top Bottom