• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

AmyS

Can't wait to get 3D Streets of Rage 2 later today.

I would still dare to say 3D Galaxy Force II is the most impressive use of 3D on the platform.-and now that I have a n3DSXL, it looks even more stunning.

Bonus modes are disappointing for Sonic.
It sounds ludicrous due to the quality and effort, but the Mega Drive games are clearly the lower tier releases.
It's only the arcade games that get significant upgrades, new modes, etc.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The arcade games get more features because they're easier to make, as weird as it may seem, and because they're made in a way that's more amenable to adding new features than the MD games.

Hmmm I do remember the struggles they had with the whole virtual Giga Drive thing.
Maybe I should go back and re-read that interview...
I'm just sad Fantasy Zone can get effectively an entire new game tacked on to it but Sonic can't get a 2 player mode :'(

Played SOR2 3D for about 30 minutes with Axel, thoughts so far:

This is my first time playing SOR2. SOR1 has been one of my favorite games for a long time (grew up playing it all the time on my Genesis 6PAK cartridge) but I had never realized there were any others in the series, until I saw everyone online saying that SOR2 was way better and the pinnacle of the series. Having played it now, I agree that it does a lot of things better, but I still prefer the original.

Having the extra button for special attacks is a solid addition to diversify the combat, and the dash attack is cool. Expanded moveset obviously makes the combat more interesting, but I don't feel like the combat has the same impact as the original. Axel's punches feel kind of stiff and weak. Weapon swings are a bit better though. Can you even throw knives in this? That was like the best part of SOR1, knives are severely lacking in this. Also I miss the police car :(

Music is overall as good as the original, some songs are better and have more going on. The boss theme is kind of shit though, but I guess it's hard to compete with the first game's GOAT boss theme.

3D looks amaaaaaazing. Way better than SOR1 3D

Regardless, M2 rules. Bring on Gunstar and Sonic 2!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Played SOR2 3D for about 30 minutes with Axel, thoughts so far:

This is my first time playing SOR2. SOR1 has been one of my favorite games for a long time (grew up playing it all the time on my Genesis 6PAK cartridge) but I had never realized there were any others in the series, until I saw everyone online saying that SOR2 was way better and the pinnacle of the series. Having played it now, I agree that it does a lot of things better, but I still prefer the original.

Having the extra button for special attacks is a solid addition to diversify the combat, and the dash attack is cool. Expanded moveset obviously makes the combat more interesting, but I don't feel like the combat has the same impact as the original. Axel's punches feel kind of stiff and weak. Weapon swings are a bit better though. Can you even throw knives in this? That was like the best part of SOR1, knives are severely lacking in this. Also I miss the police car :(

Music is overall as good as the original, some songs are better and have more going on. The boss theme is kind of shit though, but I guess it's hard to compete with the first game's GOAT boss theme.

3D looks amaaaaaazing. Way better than SOR1 3D

Regardless, M2 rules. Bring on Gunstar and Sonic 2!

yes you can throw knives, it's like forward B+C or something. i forget what the command is.

protip: use Skate because he can run.

MightyAlpha

Neo Member
Got Streets of Rage 2 today.
First time ever I've played the game but I'm amazed!
It's such an improvement over Streets of Rage 1.

Make sure to check out the credits, it's insane in a good way.

yes you can throw knives, it's like forward B+C or something. i forget what the command is.

It's punch and jump at the same time. It's also mapped to the R button by default.

If Beyond Oasis and Landstalker make the jump to 3D.
I don't know what I'd do.
They're only two of my favorite games of all time.
I mean...shit. Why M2 gotta do this to me?

VandalD

Another solid job with Streets of Rage 2. The 3D is very well done. I really hope they keep going. It'd be great to have Bare Knuckle 3. The international version had some dumb changes.

Protips! Skate can run by double tapping forward. B+C throws your weapon. It also performs your back attack. If you find you can't perform your full combo on an enemy, it can help to get a few hits in, turn your back to them, and do your back attack to knock them down quickly. Jumping towards an enemy and doing down+B can get you in grabbing range without knocking down the enemy, though not every enemy is gonna put up with you trying that. Keep a weapon as long as you can! They only break when they're dropped on the ground too many times, either from the holder being knocked down or performing a grab. Your standing A special gives you invincibility, and it does not drain your life if you don't hit anything with it. You can use this to dodge certain attacks, and it can be particularly useful with Blaze, since she moves backwards slightly, meaning you can also turn away from your attacker, special to get closer and avoid damage, then either back attack or turn and grab them.

Beat Rage Relay on normal. It made me remember how good Skate is in this game. Axel and Max are just too slow for me. Enjoy SoR2, everyone!

Neff

Streets of Rage 2 is amazing. I haven't seen it look this good or this smooth since playing it on a Mega Drive via RGB monitor 22 years ago. Even the modern console ports aren't this good.

If someone told me 20 years ago that Nintendo's Gameboy successor would become the definitive home of some of Sega's most beloved classics, I would never believe them. Absolutely stellar work is being done here! Baffling that Nintendo gave up on this so early.

I know, right? 3DS is seriously starting to feel more like a Sega machine than a Nintendo one for me...

TreIII

Same, I wish Nintendo would hire M2 for better 3D Classics. Starfox SNES...

Dammit, man. Post that behind a spoiler for the sake of us still at work! :lol

But yeah...preaching to the choir, but I would've loved to see what M2 could do with Nintendo's catalog being given the "AGES" treatment, in general.

retroman

To everyone grabbing the game today, please don't forget to watch the credits. You won't regret it.

Yeah, the credits are great. It's little touches like this that show the M2 ports are truly a labour of love.

Also, I've noticed Axel's standard combo is a bit different than in the original version. He used to punch three times and perform two quick kicks afterwards, but in this version he only kicks once. The only way to perform those double kicks now is by holding the attack button for a while and releasing it.

I wonder why they changed it. Perhaps because the last kick didn't always connect? Or was it an oversight?

mclem

Same, I wish Nintendo would hire M2 for better 3D Classics. Starfox SNES...

Actually, now Sega have Atlus under their wing, it'd be nice to have M2 take a look at some of their early work. How about an M2-helmed optimised port of the iOS English version of Shin Megami Tensei?

M3d10n

Damn you, Sega. I wasn't planning to buy any games soon, but pixel perfect SoR2 with glorious M2 3D is something I simply cannot skip. And they are releasing Gunstar Heroes and Sonic 2 next? My wallet!

oneida

I don't think the 3DS version of SoR2 is better than the XBLA/PSN version that M2 did.

But it's really good.

duckroll

Picked up SoR2 yesterday. Been playing a few runs here and there. Can't beat it without continuing yet, need more practice, got rusty lol. I'm exclusively playing on the new mode because it's really so much better. Swapping character automatically after each death makes the game much more fun, especially for those who have played the game before. Instead of picking one character and playing through the whole game, there's variety to the tempo now. It's nice to see a simple addition like this which doesn't have any new content actually making a strong impact on the experience.

Oh and the credits are fucking gold. M2 perfection. Lololol.

Had trouble finding this thread.

Man, what an awesome package this is. It looks so perfect in 3D!
Does this game not have a music player or any music options?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, so I tried Galaxy Force 2 & Outrun yesterday on my New 3DS XL and wooooowwww they look so much better compared to my OG launch-day 3DS. Makes me even more excited for when Gunstar Heroes hits next month along with Sonic 2 in Sept.

oneida

Oh yeah, so I tried Galaxy Force 2 & Outrun yesterday on my New 3DS XL and wooooowwww they look so much better compared to my OG launch-day 3DS. Makes me even more excited for when Gunstar Heroes hits next month along with Sonic 2 in Sept.

sigh, i really hate the size/weight of the XL... wish they would release the regular N3DS over here :(

Got it! Excellent port as usual. I'm surprised how complex Blaze's move-set is, given her directional special uses part of the health bar. This has me thinking I should beat the first game just so I don't feel unmotivated to play it after SoR2.

oneida

Got it! Excellent port as usual. I'm surprised how complex Blaze's move-set is, given her directional special uses part of the health bar. This has me thinking I should beat the first game just so I don't feel unmotivated to play it after SoR2.

all specials use health!

btw stop playing characters not named Skate

sigh, i really hate the size/weight of the XL... wish they would release the regular N3DS over here :(

You should be thankful NOA made the CORRECT decision for you already!

But really, I'm so with you on this. I can't believe there are people who argue against the idea of a handheld being more portable. Just because idiots around the world are using phones the size of tablets doesn't mean it's the best option.

I forgot all about that Alien level.

I was playing co-op with my boyfriend last night and we got to this part and he was like "What is the story of this game anyway...why all of a sudden Aliens?" I guessed it was just a carnival experience / ride hijacked by the bad guys. Like an animatronic alien or some shit. Not sure why the eggs explode then, but it sure is fun.

But really, I'm so with you on this. I can't believe there are people who argue against the idea of a handheld being more portable. Just because idiots around the world are using phones the size of tablets doesn't mean it's the best option.

I was playing co-op with my boyfriend last night and we got to this part and he was like "What is the story of this game anyway...why all of a sudden Aliens?" I guessed it was just a carnival experience / ride hijacked by the bad guys. Like an animatronic alien or some shit. Not sure why the eggs explode then, but it sure is fun.

Yeah, you go from the Pirate area in the theme park (which looks like Disneyland, when you see it in the background of the next level) to an Alien 'horror mansion'. I like that the Alien 'monster' doesn't seem to be alive, and just acts like a punching bag essentially. At least it didn't seem to 'attack' in any real sense. Nice detail.

oneida

Hate to say it but at this point I think I'm going to buy a 2DS. I should never feel uncomfortable playing Streets of Rage 2. That's like... not right.

Surprised no one is mentioning the fact Streets of Rage 2 seems to be way easier? Is that just in the International version? I haven't tried the Japanese version as yet but you do way more damage to enemies (especially with throws) which means you can breeze through sections pretty quickly. I don't recall them making that big a change to the default game with the first game.

Edit: I'm a dumbass, I must've switched it to casual mode by accident while I was fiddling with the settings upon first boot, that boosts all the character's stats.

Sapiens

Hey, did they clean up the fuckin voice samples in SoR2? They seem way less crunchy than on the original hardware - there should be an option to get them to sound as they originally did.

Protip: You can see up Blaze's skirt in Bare Knuckle 2. Just wanted to 'warn' people.

That should really be prefaced with a "trigger" warning and spoiler tags, hombre. No decent human being should endure those panty flashes.

Hate to say it but at this point I think I'm going to buy a 2DS. I should never feel uncomfortable playing Streets of Rage 2. That's like... not right.

Cop this.

300578_scr4_a.png

300578_scr1_a.png

Makes 2DS comfortable af

ghibli99

Yeah, when I first got my n3DS, I played most of my library with the 3D on... it actually made some games more enjoyable since I didn't have to concentrate on keeping the sweet spot centered. It still kind of freaks me out how well it works, and these Sega 3D games are the perfect showcase for the technology. ALBW, too. :)

Edit: And I'm grabbing SOR2 tonight!

To everyone grabbing the game today, please don't forget to watch the credits. You won't regret it.

Glad you mentioned this. The credits are fun!

Weird... what am I missing? I beat it last night (original mode + Rage Relay) and just got the game's usual credits. Nothing new or crazy. Do you have to beat it with specific settings to get this new credit sequence everyone's talking about?

all specials use health!

btw stop playing characters not named Skate

Meh, you can keep your Skate. Blaze all the way. ;)

The one single part of SoR 2 I don't like. It's just so... weird and doesn't mesh with the rest of the game at all. The music stands out as being awful, too, only because the rest of the soundtrack is god-tier.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Weird... what am I missing? I beat it last night (original mode + Rage Relay) and just got the game's usual credits. Nothing new or crazy. Do you have to beat it with specific settings to get this new credit sequence everyone's talking about?

The M2 staff credits are accessible from the main menu.

Bought Streets of Rage 2 today! Also tried out sonic powered's Air Traffic Controller demo (I loved the ds version).

both really hard in different ways

I haven't played sor2 in a loonnnng time.
It's awesome haha

Remk

Protip: You can see up Blaze's skirt in Bare Knuckle 2. Just wanted to 'warn' people.

Is not just that, but the animation actually changes which is really weird.

I was like "That's not how Blaze kicks!" and then panty pixel flashing,
I guess Sega Japan was really a pioneer on fan service :D

Veal

Get a grip. Seriously. Get a hand grip. Best accessory for the system by FAR. I recommend the CYBER one.

Top Bottom