• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Yuterald

Do any of you self-impose any rules/limitations when playing these M2 ports (or really any older game, one-sitting game, I guess)? I'm running the original Streets of Rage again before I dive into SoR2 and I've already had to burn two credits and I'm only on Stage 6. =/

I definitely didn't give a shit or have this 1CC-mentality as a kid when I first played these games, but as an adult, I can't shake what feels like an impulse (or obligation?), to try and complete games like this on one run, under default settings and such.

Billy Lee

I feel M2 ruined the SOR1 3D port by forcing infinite continues. It takes all the challenge out of it. So in that respect, it's kind of imperative to have a 1CC mentality.

I finally bought Fantasy Zone 2 3D today. I've been holding out for months to see if Nintendo would do a sale like they did with the first wave but clearly that's not happening. :p I've only had two goes so far but it seems good. Great 3D too. It seems purpose built for the 3DS rather than a port.

I remember swooning over the box of the original FZ2 on the Master System when it was out way back then. This was a nostalgic purchase despite never having played it before. I'm glad I finally have it.

They are so excellently priced, why not buy others? Try Galaxy Force 2 and Fantasy Zone 2!

I'm really thinking about it. This port is amazing. The only reason I've decided to go in now was because I only really played Sonic 1 and 2 and Streets of Rage 2 as a kid. Guess I can try and live out my childhood again.
I'm eyeing up Afterburner II 3D. I'm probably going to buy Sonic 2 3D when that comes out next month. Do we know what kind of remix mode Sonic 2 is getting?

I'm really thinking about it. This port is amazing. The only reason I've decided to go in now was because I only really played Sonic 1 and 2 and Streets of Rage 2 as a kid. Guess I can try and live out my childhood again.
I'm eyeing up Afterburner II 3D. I'm probably going to buy Sonic 2 3D when that comes out next month. Do we know what kind of remix mode Sonic 2 is getting?

I have a Japanese 3DS so I already have Sonic 2. It includes a mode called "Ring Keep" which makes it so that when you get hit you only lose half of your rings. I think it kind of ruins the game. I just beat the game with all of the emeralds and unlocked "Super Sonic Mode" which lets you start the levels with 50 rings and automatically turn into Super Sonic. That should make speed runs interesting. There's also some sort of multiplayer but I haven't tested it yet.

Cop this.

300578_scr4_a.png

300578_scr1_a.png

Makes 2DS comfortable af

Wholeheartedly agree. As far as I know, this grip is GameStop-exclusive in the U.S. There is a bit of a tradeoff where you lose the lovely tabletty thinness of the 2DS with the grip, but I find that it feels amazing for traditional action games, Smash Bros., and such.

Beat SOR2 Original mode as Axel, and I plan to do so again on Relay Mode. The 3D effect is fantastic, probably one of the best in the 3D Classics line, and it's nice that they unlock the extra options (9 lives, very easy, mania, round select) off the bat.

entremet

SOR2 is a blaring indicator how much horribly low the audio output of the 3DS is.

I guess they did to protect the ears of kids. I remember my OG Brick GB having higher audio output.

Yuterald

I feel M2 ruined the SOR1 3D port by forcing infinite continues. It takes all the challenge out of it. So in that respect, it's kind of imperative to have a 1CC mentality.

Yeah, I'm trying to understand and breakdown the game the best I can. It seems like there's a 1-up every two stages and along with the 1-ups you earn through point accumulation (50K, 150K, 250K, etc.), it seems very possible to 1CC. Those stupid twin Blaze-like sister bosses on the boat keep fucking me up. I think I have a new strategy for them on my next run. I'm at the start of Stage 6 now with only 2 lives yet. Not going to happen this time, but I'm learning!

@MUWANdo

Banned

I finally bought Fantasy Zone 2 3D today. I've been holding out for months to see if Nintendo would do a sale like they did with the first wave but clearly that's not happening. :p I've only had two goes so far but it seems good. Great 3D too. It seems purpose built for the 3DS rather than a port.

I remember swooning over the box of the original FZ2 on the Master System when it was out way back then. This was a nostalgic purchase despite never having played it before. I'm glad I finally have it.

Well, just so you're clear, this isn't actually a port of FZ2 for the Master System, it's a port of M2's own FZ2 remake for arcade hardware that they made for a PS2 compilation several years back, and the reason it conforms so nicely to 3DS is that it's their own game and they had the source code, so it's a true port optimised for the hardware and not based on emulation or approximation like the other 3D Classics.

M3d10n

Yeah, I'm trying to understand and breakdown the game the best I can. It seems like there's a 1-up every two stages and along with the 1-ups you earn through point accumulation (50K, 150K, 250K, etc.), it seems very possible to 1CC. Those stupid twin Blaze-like sister bosses on the boat keep fucking me up. I think I have a new strategy for them on my next run. I'm at the start of Stage 6 now with only 2 lives yet. Not going to happen this time, but I'm learning!

There's a specific spot where you can beat the Blaze twins without taking damage, there's YouTube videos showing it. It's a bit cheap, though.

CLEEK

Bought SOR2 on a whim yesterday, not expecting much as I was never a fan of the first game. But it's brilliant. A top tier scrolling brawler. As others have mentioned, the 3D effect in this is astonishing. If you change the 3D type to pop-out rather than fade-in, it's like a god damn hologram. Takes a little while for my eyes to adjust to the effect, but it's magical. The single best use of 3D across the entire 3DS library.

The bonus modes in Sonic 2 are pretty dull.

Easy mode which starts you off with ten rings, and getting hit only makes you lose half of them every time.

Once you complete the game (don't need to get all the emeralds) you unlock an option to play as Super Sonic right away.

Any word on how the multiplayer works? Specifically does the co-op exist, and if it exists, does it make player 2 (tails) still share a screen with sonic?

Psxphile

Also, I've noticed Axel's standard combo is a bit different than in the original version. He used to punch three times and perform two quick kicks afterwards, but in this version he only kicks once. The only way to perform those double kicks now is by holding the attack button for a while and releasing it.

I wonder why they changed it. Perhaps because the last kick didn't always connect? Or was it an oversight?

I realize it's days later to be asking this now, but are you certain he *never* does the two kicks at the end of his standing combo? Because this is also an issue in the original BK/SoR 2, where he'll sometimes not finish with the twin kicks. But if you use it consistently it'd pop up every once in a while. I've never found rhyme or reason for why his combo behaves like this.

retroman

I realize it's days later to be asking this now, but are you certain he *never* does the two kicks at the end of his standing combo? Because this is also an issue in the original BK/SoR 2, where he'll sometimes not finish with the twin kicks. But if you use it consistently it'd pop up every once in a while. I've never found rhyme or reason for why his combo behaves like this.

Thanks for replying. I just played it again and noticed Axel DOES perform the twin kicks sometimes. Still, I can't shake the feeling that the combo doesn't work as often as it did on the original PAL Mega Drive version I played all those years ago. Then again, I might be misremembering things...

SOR2 is a blaring indicator how much horribly low the audio output of the 3DS is.

I guess they did to protect the ears of kids. I remember my OG Brick GB having higher audio output.
I hooked up my 3DS headphone jack to my computer speakers (with subwoofer) and it was awesome. Tracks be bumpin' yo

Man SoR2 is So good.

would totally change the game

They could just show a little bit of offscreen without changing the gameplay. I wouldn't mind the addition, it would make it a little easier to hit offscreen ennemies with weapons. Well, they'd have to work the backgrounds a little though.

Why are my highscores in SoR2 constantly deleted? In other 3d classics, you could change modes and there still was an overall score list saved.

AmyS

Loving Streets of Rage 2.

Now extend the second wave even more, give us arcade Altered Beast with added extra parallax layers the System 16 version didn't have, and widescreen.

M2 has the magic spirit balls of genius.

ZPsEjgO.png

orborborb

The speaker volumes (and quality) are quite different among the three models. Perhaps the headphone output is as well?

Psxphile

Thanks for replying. I just played it again and noticed Axel DOES perform the twin kicks sometimes. Still, I can't shake the feeling that the combo doesn't work as often as it did on the original PAL Mega Drive version I played all those years ago. Then again, I might be misremembering things...

A followup: I was recently playing SoR2 again and decided to try to test something. And it seems that you're much more likely to initiate the two-kick version of Axel's standing combo finisher if you're mashing the attack button quickly. Mash it slow, and you only get the one kick. I bet it's the same for the 3D Classics version.

TheMoon

Where did you get this information from? I searched online and can't find anything that mentions this game releasing next week.

History :)

All of them came in the second or third week of every month (depending on when the month started, it's always in the mid-teens). Only exception was last month where it got pushed back a week at the last second.

RedToad64

History :)

All of them came in the second or third week of every month (depending on when the month started, it's always in the mid-teens). Only exception was last month where it got pushed back a week at the last second.
Has this been intentional... or a huge coincidence?

TheMoon

Has this been intentional... or a huge coincidence?

It happened with every single 3D Classic this year. How would that be a coincidence.

Anyway, you'll get it in black on white come Monday with NOE's PR :)

if it ain't there, it was moved back a week due to the last one being delayed by one week for some reason.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would say intentional. Sega seems to aim for the middle of the month. Hence my predictions for the latest 3. I would've been right on SoR2 if it wasn't delayed, but we should be getting 3D Gunstar Heroes this week.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sega needs to quit messing around and get Power Drift into the collection. I would never turn my 3DS off again.

AmyS

Sega needs to quit messing around and get Power Drift into the collection. I would never turn my 3DS off again.

Hell yeah.

If M2 does Power Drift, I'm guessing but maybe they've already done the most difficult work when they did Galaxy Force II, from the Y-Board. Plus, there would be no need to have the visual enhancements of GFII's Neo Classic mode from the PS2 release. Just Power Drift's arcade sprites. And while they're at it, SMGP arcade!

Both are feasible requests, perhaps unlike games such as Golden Axe The Revenge of Death Adder and Out Runners, which may or may not be too complex for 3DS to emulate.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is there any way to turn off the boxart on the lower screens on SOR2? Because... I fucking hate staring at that terrible western box art out the corner of my eye for the whole playthrough.

Other than that, love the 3D effect.

TheMoon

Anyway, you'll get it in black on white come Monday with NOE's PR :)

if it ain't there, it was moved back a week due to the last one being delayed by one week for some reason.

Alas, not coming this week. So next week it is then. Last month's delay seems to have pushed everything back consistently.

Top Bottom