• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
OK i think my skills are capped at the final boss. I can't see myself beating that shit.

At least i explored the whole game and beat all other bosses, including all optional ones. So i got 99% of the content.
Last boss is pants-shittingly difficult, but since you’ve come this far, I’d suggest trying to finish it.

Would you mind talking about what parts you’re having trouble with so I can try to offer some advice?

Really, the whole fight comes down to mastering each phase. The second phase, where he takes out the spear, is the most difficult to manage but after awhile, you’ll consistently get through it to his third phase, which is basically the same as the second but a fucked up lightning attack added on. But thankfully, you can generally use the same tactics as phase 2, being patient and keeping your cool, and you’ll get it.

Bottom line is, you’re in for a long, long ride if you want to beat him.

Drake

OMG I'm never gonna beat the Owl. I've been stuck on this fight for days. Granted I haven't put a ton of time into it.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
OMG I'm never gonna beat the Owl. I've been stuck on this fight for days. Granted I haven't put a ton of time into it.
Don't try to consistently block/parry him. Run around away from him, when he shoots 2 shurikens run toward him, not in a straight line but doing a small half circle. You'll avoid the jumping slash and you can give him 2 mortal blade slashes. Rinse, repeat. Works for both phases.
There are other openings but this is the safest one.

Last edited:

DilWSTS

finally beat guardian ape....was stuck there for some time and correct me if im wrong but i think progress was blocked until beating him,.

v0mitg0d

I finally beat the Guardian Ape, and I know a few folks have asked for me to do a guide and I'm so happy I can now post it. Such a fun fight. Hope this helps someone out if they need it. :)

Psychostar

anyone have tips for
Guardian Ape?
feel like im making no progress at all here lol. is dodging super important for this fight or can i get by with block/parry?
If you have the flame sword upgrade from the prosthetic skill tree ( use flame vent and then hit R1) you can just pop an ako's sugar (increased attack) and just spam the heck out of r1 on him. Fire is super effective at staggering him and piling on that damage. This will burn off the first phase of guardian ape, leaving you with little left to worry about.

Phase 2, equip your motle gourd ( buy it from merchant in mibu village start) and don't be afraid to pop a divine confetti. Here just keep your distance until he leads with his long swing and jump over it. Spam r1 again - repeat this 3 times and the fight is basically over. Don't be afraid to take your time with phase 2. He leaves himself very open to chipping him away slowly if you are finding that phase difficult.

This armoured cocksucker is pissing me off. I know what you're supposed to do but I can't do it.

EDIT done. Axe was more effective than the spear.

Last edited:
Yay, got shura ending! 3 throphies left for platinum (skills, dragon ending and prostetic arm updates). I didn't want to kill emma ;(
took me a while to beat isshin with this fire around tho

I'm so sorry ;(

Last edited:

Graciaus

I'm in the process of trying to do the same thing. Thought it would be easy after the purification ending. I've only tried a few times but half the time I didn't even reach the main boss.

where can I get this outfit on ps4? ( ͡º ͜ʖ͡º)
comment_wmlOaBc8wRBPke8QvlDWlxBYnqQY7CQI.jpg

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yay, got shura ending! 3 throphies left for platinum (skills, dragon ending and prostetic arm updates). I didn't want to kill emma ;(
Lol Spoilers Lol.

Please tag your spoilers.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
took out GA and ORin and Corrupt Monk (snap peas made him easiest boss yet) im at the Ashina Castle near the end, just poking my head around different maps & exploring for stuff i missed. amazed to find i am missing 16 prayer beads! dang there are a lot of beads in this game. some of them seem to be at the bottom of these rivers...

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It is easier if you don't rely on the OP firecrackers during phase 1. Otherwise phase 2 will be the harder of the two.
Thats also true. When I faced the 2nd phase for my first time the big mistake I did was not parring his attacks and instead try to stay close to him to get some hits, but if you too close to him and starts screaming it becomes much harder get away from him in time.

Danjin44

If you have the flame sword upgrade from the prosthetic skill tree ( use flame vent and then hit R1) you can just pop an ako's sugar (increased attack) and just spam the heck out of r1 on him. Fire is super effective at staggering him and piling on that damage. This will burn off the first phase of guardian ape, leaving you with little left to worry about.

Phase 2, equip your motle gourd ( buy it from merchant in mibu village start) and don't be afraid to pop a divine confetti. Here just keep your distance until he leads with his long swing and jump over it. Spam r1 again - repeat this 3 times and the fight is basically over. Don't be afraid to take your time with phase 2. He leaves himself very open to chipping him away slowly if you are finding that phase difficult.
Also don't forget when you stun him, use spear attack. After you the first attack press R2 again to do extra damage, you know if you did it right when centipede comes out.

Vawn

Banned
So, if I got all the prayer bead necklaces at my first playthrough, is there much reason to beat the optional minibosses in NG+?

Danjin44

So, if I got all the prayer bead necklaces at my first playthrough, is there much reason to beat the optional minibosses in NG+?
Other than for XP and coin purse, not really. I personally do it any way because as I got better with the combat system, its really fun to fight them.

Grinchy

Banned
It is easier if you don't rely on the OP firecrackers during phase 1. Otherwise phase 2 will be the harder of the two.
I find myself just not using the arm abilities in any fights. I don't know why that is.

The ape was such a fun fight for me. It took me about 10 tries but it got to the point where it didn't feel overly hard anymore and I used nothing but the sword.

Fuz

Banned
What is the best way to grind xp for skill points? I'm on ng+
Mibu village, watermill. Go back and kill the tengu apparitions.

I also like to farm the palace top floor and Mt. Kongo, but they're more for money and drops than XP. Also way funnier than the boring watermill.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

1. When he runs toward you he can do 2-3 different moves. A. He swings horizontally, dodge this or just walk back. He is now open for a hit B. He swings Horizontally and then he throws those balls. You can dodge/block/walk backwards. Hit him once before each. You can jump right before the ball hits the ground.
2. He has a move where he tries to slash and then runs up your chest. You just have to block this. In the 2nd phase just jump beyond the poison. You can actually watch for step 4 because its a 50/50 chance he'll do that move after he shoots out the poison during the 2nd phase.
3. His big sword combo. Just block it. It will drain all your posture. You can just jump out of this once you're completely depleted.
4. He throws two projectiles and does a big down slash. Big moment to take damage on him.
5. He will run up and throw his special ball. Hit him and just jump right before the ball hits the ground.
6. He throws 1 projectile and then runs to slash you. Just block this and watch for step 3. Jump out of it once he does his horizontal slash.

You can hit him during 1,2,4, and 5. The only one you can't get any damage off is his multiple swing combo and random swipes with his sword. Anytime your posture goes down, just jump to your right. Jumping gets you out of having your posture depleted completely.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Beat Shura ending
I honestly had more trouble with Emma then I did isshin. Her attacks are slightly delayed messing up my parry and her grab attacks delay almost always got me. Sometimes I could jump over it or dodge. Most of the time I just laughed when I dodged to Early. Thankfully it doesn't do much damage. Isshins second form is more annoying then hard for me. Took me forever to use the firecracker to inturupt that massive aoe attack.

I found this series of fights to be much harder then the regular ending. Find out if I change my tune if I do another run.
Also realized after 2 playthroughs I didn't have max vitality after checking achievements. Apparently I missed 4 prayer beads.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This game is so satisfying. I thought I had gone through every place in the world up to the horse boss, but learned here that I had missed that statue on the left inside the dilapidated house. Boom, an entire new beautiful world, Hirata estate. Awesome stealthing and mini boss fight that acts as a tutorial for the Mikiri counter, and an ogre to try oil & fire on.

Drake

Don't try to consistently block/parry him. Run around away from him, when he shoots 2 shurikens run toward him, not in a straight line but doing a small half circle. You'll avoid the jumping slash and you can give him 2 mortal blade slashes. Rinse, repeat. Works for both phases.
There are other openings but this is the safest one.

Holy fuck he's down. Jesus fucking christ. That took me days. I got phase 1 down to the point where I didn't have to use a rez and used the mortal blade in phase 2. Please tell me that this was the hardest boss. Does it get worse than this one?

Holy fuck he's down. Jesus fucking christ. That took me days. I got phase 1 down to the point where I didn't have to use a rez and used the mortal blade in phase 2. Please tell me that this was the hardest boss. Does it get worse than this one?
Apparently it's not difficult again until the final boss which is harder than Owl. Prepare to cry.

Danjin44

I manage to beat the 2nd Owl in Hirata Estate in my 3rd try. It was fun fight.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
Thats also true. When I faced the 2nd phase for my first time the big mistake I did was not parring his attacks and instead try to stay close to him to get some hits, but if you too close to him and starts screaming it becomes much harder get away from him in time.

I never found it to be the case. You can easily tell when he begins winding up the scream so you can easily jump back and sprint away, even if you are right next to him.

Danjin44

I never found it to be the case. You can easily tell when he begins winding up the scream so you can easily jump back and sprint away, even if you are right next to him.
For me that was the case when I faced him first time, on my second playthrough I became much better at dealing with him, even in 2nd battle when he brings out second Ape.

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

Most of the boss in this game is easier if you playing aggressively. Force them to deflect ur atk, then deflect their counter atk is the best way to defend.

Vid i beat Owl with Demon Bell and no kuro charm

Beat Isshin on NG+ (took 3 tries, funnily enough 2 times I died on genichiro lmao) and got dragon's return ending (shame they haven't shown emma in it). Could sequel be coming our way? Fell in love in Sekiro's combat system, even if I wasn't using that many prosthetic tools (mainly shurikens + umbrella on elemental dmg and axe). I still think genichiro + isshin is way easier than Owl 1/2, Ape and Demon of Hatred - which for me is hardest boss in the game. One trophy with obtaining all skills left. Overall I think it's in top 3 in my FromSoft games ranking. Now miyazaki onto Tenchu please, rikimaru slept for too long :p

Last edited:

Psychostar

Yay, got shura ending! 3 throphies left for platinum (skills, dragon ending and prostetic arm updates). I didn't want to kill
emma;(
;-; You just spoiled that for me. Please edit your post to save others.

Last edited:
I completely missed Madam Butterfly. Didn't get the correct key as I suspected that NPC was a mini boss or something. I imagine I'm going to be a bit OP for this fight.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im at the normal Owl fight, it's tough, but seems do-able. it was hard even just getting there, the mini boss in the Dojo gave me so much hell. eventually i started using Puppet skill on the other soldier in the room, so that he fights for me. i tried this w the dual apes fight, hoping i could get one to fight the other, but i guess it doesn't work on real bosses

Psychostar

just got the blazing bull mini boss. not been playing for a while with too much stuff happening.

that thing is fucking me up.
Firecracker prosthetic that you can buy from a merchant hidden atop a cliff early on in the game will help you greatly. I beat him on my 3rd attempt when I realized that simply guarding (don't focus on trying to parry it so much as simply blocking) is enough to negate most of it's damage. It can't really do anything too dangerous to you while you have your sword up.

This particular fight in the game was the moment I 'clicked' , realizing how quickly you can reduce posture when guarding and that pretty much you should never just be standing still without your guard up when you are in a tough fight.

Ding_Dong007

Neo Member
Everyone who's played it says it's harder. Like Bloodborne but faster, and you can't over level. I'm one of the people who has a much easier time with BB than the Souls games, so YMMV.

Top Bottom