• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

kyubajin

Alright, I've beaten every single mini-boss in the game, only missing
Demon of Hatred
and the final boss. Need only 4 more Lapis Lazuli to have upgraded everything and then the loooong race to maxing out all skills. I cannot believe that it's going to be over soon :_(

I wonder what will FROM surprise us with next.

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m so far behind. My efforts are split in three to four different directions in both ashina and hirata estates.

It says I need gunpowder... it says there’s a path and I have this key. There’s also that headless mist creature.

I got this.

However ... I’m expecting more souls tricks and secrets. I feel like I found all these items, secret paths, etc... because of my experience with souls games ya know. My buddy is having a hard time, just as much with exploration and combat.

This game may or may not be from’s swan song for the generation but I find myself getting excited about Bloodborne 2 for next gen while playing... and it doesn’t even exist

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
i'd be surprised if there isn't DLC.

i'm enjoying the game but i'm struggling with the base game so i really don't even want to think about DLC right now lol.
I’m currently on my 4th playthrough trying to get the last ending and.....
this time I decided doing my 4th playthrough without Kuro’s charm and my god!!!

So, I’m definitely ready for the DLC.

I’m currently on my 4th playthrough trying to get the last ending and.....
this time I decided doing my 4th playthrough without Kuro’s charm and my god!!!

So, I’m definitely ready for the DLC.
4th? jeez lol.

i've only just got past the blazing bull. i feel overwhelmed on what to do next.

I beat Genichiro last night after exhausting pretty much everything else there is to do. Four necklaces, attack power of 3 and 8 gourds. Not too bad, took less than 10 attempts. Then I partook in some monkey magic. Attack power up to 5 now. Looking forward to seeing what's next on the agenda after I finish work.

i don't know what i should do next after reaching the idol after blazing bull.

i went left through the dungeon and got to the temple area. but apparently i missed a mini boss there....

or i could go straight ahead to those dudes on the stairs

i also went right and jumped around the roofs but the bastards on them are fucking me up. there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go but the roofs so i guess this is just an area to sneak up on the miniboss. maybe i'll clear this part.

also the reservoir area seems to have changed. i might explore that a bit. i spoke to some guy and there was an option to send him to the dungeon. also thre was a mini boss near him.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn't realize the game could end a lot faster. I'm at the final confrontation. I didn't have a lot of time to focus on it, so I'll definitely go back.

I read where the punch attack in the monk skill tree will do lots of damage to Isshin's posture. I am basically using ichimoji for the first phase.
Can anyone confirm this is true?

Last edited:
so i went back to the resevoir but the mini boss at the tower is fucking me up. i can deal with the enemies around him but omfg his spear goes right up my ass. fuck him.

Vawn

Banned
U miss all the point, the only thing i want to know is HOW he turn into a demon. Being consume by hatred is not solid enough, there is no evidence in this game saying a man can turn into a demon by himself.

What's the science behind dead people turning into zombies in The Walking Dead? There is none. It doesn't make any sense, nor does it make sense a zombie head can survive cut clear off its body.

It's just zombie stories are so well known by this point in our culture we just look past that. These dark Japanese mythos games are taking similar liberties. In their universe, those things are just known to happen.

Just roll with it.

Vawn

Banned
so i went back to the resevoir but the mini boss at the tower is fucking me up. i can deal with the enemies around him but omfg his spear goes right up my ass. fuck him.

Are you getting a stealth death blow first? Other than that, keep at it. You can mirkin counter the thrust, but he kinda launches you off of it afterwards. Just deflect and learn where the openings are to attack. Firecrackers can help too.

Easiest way to do that place is clear the lower tier enemies out then go down to the left of the tower and make your way behind him, and get a deathblow in then have a square go with him for his final health bar. Be ready to step on or jump over his shit.

Are you getting a stealth death blow first? Other than that, keep at it. You can mirkin counter the thrust, but he kinda launches you off of it afterwards. Just deflect and learn where the openings are to attack. Firecrackers can help too.
no. i try creeping up the stairs but he always turns around. how do i get the deathblow????

#Phonepunk#

Banned
how do i deal with the black ghosts during the True Corrupted Monk fight? ill be doing decent vs him but then they swoop in and kill me with a quickness...

no. i try creeping up the stairs but he always turns around. how do i get the deathblow????
You take the route you took at the start of the game and shimmy along the cliff, entering the building through the hole at the rear. Then you sneak up behind him for the death blow.

You can also cheese the shit out of him.

Easiest way to do that place is clear the lower tier enemies out then go down to the left of the tower and make your way behind him, and get a deathblow in then have a square go with him for his final health bar. Be ready to step on or jump over his shit.
You can avoid all but three enemies on the way to Seven Spears. From the idol, jump on the wall and grapple to the tree on the left, then jump onto solid ground and immediately sprint around the wall on the left and kill the little bell ringer before he alerts everyone. Then, sticking to the left, you sneak under the building and continue out the other side on the right, into the grass, killing the second guy from behind. You then continue sneaking through the grass and kill the third guy. From there you just do what you did at the beginning of the game, making your way through the hole at the back of the building Seven Spears is standing in front of.

You can do it very quickly. I had to do it a lot.

You can avoid all but three enemies on the way to Seven Spears. From the idol, jump on the wall and grapple to the tree on the left, then jump onto solid ground and immediately sprint around the wall on the left and kill the little bell ringer before he alerts everyone. Then, sticking to the left, you sneak under the building and continue out the other side on the right, into the grass, killing the second guy from behind. You then continue sneaking through the grass and kill the third guy. From there you just do what you did at the beginning of the game, making your way through the hole at the back of the building Seven Spears is standing in front of.

You can do it very quickly. I had to do it a lot.
So did I but the spear asshole inevitably ended up aggroing the guys at the bottom of the stairs so, for me it was easier to empty the place and not have to worry about getting clobbered from the back by an aggroed fatty.

So did I but the spear asshole inevitably ended up aggroing the guys at the bottom of the stairs so, for me it was easier to empty the place and not have to worry about getting clobbered from the back by an aggroed fatty.
Takes way too long if you're having to do it repeatedly. How did you aggro anyone? You can stealth kill all three undetected.

how do i deal with the black ghosts during the True Corrupted Monk fight? ill be doing decent vs him but then they swoop in and kill me with a quickness...

Jump around on trees till they're gone, that's what I did atleast. If you're lucky just before phase 2 when monk is about to do this attack with shadows quickly jump on highest tree and if your timing is right you'll be able to deathblow monk from air.

Takes way too long if you're having to do it repeatedly. How did you aggro anyone? You can stealth kill all three undetected.
There's a fat bastard with a hammer that patrols back and forward at the bottom of the staircase. During the skirmish with seven spears, if it gets too far down the staircase then he comes lumbering up to join the party.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Jump around on trees till they're gone, that's what I did atleast. If you're lucky just before phase 2 when monk is about to do this attack with shadows quickly jump on highest tree and if your timing is right you'll be able to deathblow monk from air.

this is def the way to go. there is no guarantee a ghost won't pop up and Grim Reaper you up in a tree, but if you can get it down to an acrobatic science, leaping from tree to tree, using their moans as directional queues, you can avoid getting hit. i found doing 3 in a row then jumping off or rotating the other direction worked pretty well.

that third phase tho. again, i guess i just need to master that 1-2 DB, and i've gotten in a couple of times now, but it's tough to learn. the second DB has like 3 or 4 jumps in it. there is a lot of choreography that goes into these battles!

Last edited:

decisions

Finally beat the Corrupted Monk (2nd fight). Was the boss I got stuck on the longest, I played the game carefully and never really died more than 5-6 times on any boss. Though this was like 20 lol. I think Corrupted Monk is a fairly poorly designed fight in it’s 2nd and 3rd phases. But I do like how you have to approach his third phrase from a health depletion perspective while in the first two you should go for posture. 2nd phase is awfully designed though, forces to become mindless and jump around like an idiot as far as I can tell.

Overall I love this game and the area after this fight is incredible!

Last edited:
this is def the way to go. there is no guarantee a ghost won't pop up and Grim Reaper you up in a tree, but if you can get it down to an acrobatic science, leaping from tree to tree, using their moans as directional queues, you can avoid getting hit. i found doing 3 in a row then jumping off or rotating the other direction worked pretty well.

that third phase tho. again, i guess i just need to master that 1-2 DB, and i've gotten in a couple of times now, but it's tough to learn. the second DB has like 3 or 4 jumps in it. there is a lot of choreography that goes into these battles!
When you get the first, jump right back to the tree you jumped from, you'll see him do the ghost thing but you can just about make out the monk crouched down. The DB symbol doesn't show up when you lock on but jump at him and it'll appear half way down so you can hit him again with it.

Danjin44

There's a fat bastard with a hammer that patrols back and forward at the bottom of the staircase. During the skirmish with seven spears, if it gets too far down the staircase then he comes lumbering up to join the party.
This why you have take care of all those guys down there before fighting severn spear and then lure him down there because there is more room for dodge and counter his attacks.

This why you have take care of all those guys down there before fighting severn spear and then lure him down there because there is more room for dodge and counter his attacks.

Yeah, I mentioned above that it was my preferred way of battling 7 spears. I tried it the other way and it didn't work out well 😅

Last edited:

Danjin44

So this game sold over 2 million in 10 days.

https://gematsu.com/2019/04/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-sales-top-two-million-in-10-days

But, but, EASY MODE!
Well deserved, both Sekiro and Bloodborne currently my favourite FromSofware game.

Honestly this game is already have mechanics to make the game easier. There bosses have weakness to different Shinobi tool that makes the fights much easier hand we have something like True corrupt Monk you can either fight him straight on (like I did for my first time) or just deathblow his first and second phase.

4th? jeez lol.

i've only just got past the blazing bull. i feel overwhelmed on what to do next.
You explore as much you want but if you want advance the story
then you need to go to Ashina Castle to fight Genichiro.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
defeated True Monk and in the last area of the game, which is super gorgeous. it is nice traversing this water-logged divine realm in the moonlight. i think From outdid themselves with the art design in this one. they really nailed the atmospheric, nature-heavy, dark fantasy world of Japanese history & mythology. i love the emphasis on nature, all these waterfalls and streams and ponds coming after Bloodborne's explicitly wrought iron industrial world (which is no less phantasmagorical).

Last edited:

Danjin44

defeated True Monk and in the last area of the game, which is super gorgeous. i think From outdid themselves with the art design in this one. they really nailed the atmospheric, nature-heavy, dark fantasy world. it is nice with all the waterfalls and streams and ponds coming after Bloodborne's explicitly wrought iron industrial world (which is no less phantasmagorical).
Lot of people like give shit to FROM not having more advance graphics like other AAA games but to me FROM have excellent art direction for their game.

Just made platinum trophy on NG+2, game of the year for me easily, and after Bloodborne and OG Dark Souls best FromSoft game. What a journey, hopefully they'll add DLC.

Danjin44

Indeed, and I thought the other fast kill was easy and cheesy. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
This why I'm so confuse about people want easy mode for Sekiro. This game already has lots of option to make the fight much easier if you want, its there in organic way instead of being on menu.

kevin_trinh

What's the science behind dead people turning into zombies in The Walking Dead? There is none. It doesn't make any sense, nor does it make sense a zombie head can survive cut clear off its body.

It's just zombie stories are so well known by this point in our culture we just look past that. These dark Japanese mythos games are taking similar liberties. In their universe, those things are just known to happen.

Just roll with it.
From Software game was known for the logic even when you die they'll give you a reason for your revive. I dont' care about your Walking Dead, so your zombie story mean nothing to me. In this game From has the answer for the most thing, but still lack some clear answer for the Hatred and the Memory 1, either it's plot hole or they will explain it in the DLC.

Dont' compare trash movie with the masterpiece.

Last edited:
So this game sold over 2 million in 10 days.

https://gematsu.com/2019/04/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-sales-top-two-million-in-10-days

But, but, EASY MODE!
But, but, but like sales....and, and ignorance from From Software! It tu heard, IT TU HEARD!

This why I'm so confuse about people want easy mode for Sekiro. This game already has lots of option to make the fight much easier if you want, its there in organic way instead of being on menu.
You could also stun Father G with a music box and just keep distracting Blood Starved Beast with blood cocktails making them jokes, yet those were "roadblocks" for being too hard, but they didn't want to explore or actually check out the items you're given.

I mean I've seen these same kind of people in news comments praising Capcom for adding a 5$ "unlock all" for RE2 because it now gives you instant access to unlimited weapons, so they can now "play the game and actually enjoy it." It's like why the hell did you buy a survival game about inventory and ammo management when you didn't want to do any managing but just pew pew? Even the counterargument for people bashing people that would give Capcom 5$ for that is identical for the "should have a easy mode" defenders.

That's the thing it's not actually about difficulty, it's just about people buying the latest big game just because it's big, then expecting it to cater to them regardless of how the game was designed and meant to cater too, then demanding it be altered for them when the game mechanics in general was never made for them in the first place, be it difficulty or other.

Last edited:

Danjin44

But, but, but like sales....and, and ignorance from From Software! It tu heard, IT TU HEARD!

You could also stun Father G with a music box and just keep distracting Blood Starved Beast with blood cocktails making them jokes, yet those were "roadblocks" for being too hard, but they didn't want to explore or actually check out the items you're given.

I mean I've seen these same kind of people in news comments praising Capcom for adding a 5$ "unlock all" for RE2 because it now gives you instant access to unlimited weapons, so they can now "play the game and actually enjoy it." It's like why the hell did you buy a survival game about inventory and ammo management when you didn't want to do any managing but just pew pew? Even the counterargument for people bashing people that would give Capcom 5$ for that is identical for the "should have a easy mode" defenders.

That's the thing it's not actually about difficulty, it's just about people buying the latest big game, then expecting it to cater to them regardless of how the game was designed and meant to cater too, then demanding it be altered for them when the game mechanics in general was never made for them in the first place, be it difficulty or other.
I definitely agree with you and I also think most people who played Souls/Bloodborne, rely to heavily on summoning other people for tough bosses. In Sekiro you are alone to either figure out the best tool for the job or learn boss’s attack patterns but I guess asking people to engage with the games is too much.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Lot of people like give shit to FROM not having more advance graphics like other AAA games but to me FROM have excellent art direction for their game.

yeah. there's that Divine Dragon we've heard so much about. i just came upon a late game boss and it was the most metal thing i've seen in a long time!

4eHy4sN.jpg

Danjin44

yeah. there's that Divine Dragon we've heard so much about. i just came upon a late game boss and it was the most metal thing i've seen in a long time!

4eHy4sN.jpg
That boss looked so majestic, I absolutely LOOOVE the art direction in Sekiro.

Metroid

Alright, so I don't know if I will finish the game. Currently I am at the
="Corrupted Monk, second fight"]
and while he seems not so hard I don't if I will pull through. Apparently I am not so far away from the ending, but managing 3-4 other bosses each of them taking 2-3 hours to git gud seems like a major turn off for me. Still undeciced.

Alright, so I don't know if I will finish the game. Currently I am at the
="Corrupted Monk, second fight"]
and while he seems not so hard I don't if I will pull through. Apparently I am not so far away from the ending, but managing 3-4 other bosses each of them taking 2-3 hours to git gud seems like a major turn off for me. Still undeciced.
There are a few posts further up the page about this fight that should make it a lot more manageable for you.

th

Top Bottom