• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes |OT| of team Ieyasu vs. team Mitsunari

Pimpbaa

Vhalyar said:
In the game though, it's not so much "whiny bitch" as "totally confused". His lord/mentor/best bud is teribly sick and he's forced into a position of absolute leadership when he himself has no goals or aspirations other than serving his lord. He has no idea why he's fighting and because of that his army is suffering loss after loss which further compounds his depression. The point of his story is figuring out his own goals to aim for as a leader.

He acts like a child and as if Ieyasu killed his family. He is a pathetic excuse of a man throwing temper tantrums like a spoiled child not getting a toy he wants. A poor excuse of a man, and a poor excuse of a villain.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Pimpbaa said:
He acts like a child and as if Ieyasu killed his family. He is a pathetic excuse of a man throwing temper tantrums like a spoiled child not getting a toy he wants. A poor excuse of a man, and a poor excuse of a villain.

The post you quoted is talking about Yukimura, not Mitsunari.

TreIII

Pimpbaa said:
He acts like a child and as if Ieyasu killed his family.

...Except that Hideyoshi and Hanbei basically WERE his family. One died due to illness, the other was killed by a guy that Mitsunari thought he could decently trust.

Wouldn't you be more than a little miffed if you were in his place? Especially when the one guy you despise is a hypocritical SOB who preaches about love, sunshine, friendship and "the power of bonds", and yet, saw it fitting to take one of YOUR bonds away? :lol

It's the classical thing of Mitsunari being both right and wrong, for the wrong and right reasons. That's probably why I love Ieyasu and Mitsunari being at the center of attention this time around, as opposed to more Masamune+Yukimura. Those two just aren't interesting any more, even though they actively tried to "humanize" them a bit by taking them down a few pegs.

I think Mitsunari's so over the top it's actually enjoyable.

'Sorry Mitsunari, I burnt the toast'
'You burnt the toast? How could you betray me'
'I'm sorry, the phone rang and it was Dave and he just wouldn't stop going on...'
'I shall not sleep until I have dragged you down to hell, YOU BASTARD!!!!!'
'Geez, calm down it's only a piece of toa...'
'IEYASU!!!!!IIIEEYYY'
'I'm not Ieya....
'AAAAAAAASUUUUUU!!!!!! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!'

Vhalyar

Pimpbaa said:
Bah, mostly applies to him too.
Not at all?

Mitsunari spirals down his path of raging vengeance
and becomes utterly broken and hollow once victorious
, meanwhile Yukimura
finally obtains a dream of his own and accepts the responsibilities of leadership

If you want pure retarded, look no further than Chosokabe. "A Tokugawa flag? In my smoldering ruins? Iyeasu, I'm coming to fuck your shit up! Even though we used to be bros for life and this is utterly out of character and my other buddies tell me I'm retarded herp derp" :lol

Alright it appears I came back at the right time. We're discussing plot/characters eh?

I'll ring in on Mitsunari, he's indeed a man driven by one force. He is an embodiment of rage & vengeance. He wasn't exactly an angel to begin with. I'll refrain for spoilers but the end of his path makes sense.

The one character that I find a bit hard to shallow is Ieyasu. Maybe its due to me not seeing how he was in the past games but his goals are too lofty. Being under the servitude of so many clearly left its mark. He's my favorite character hands down but a bit much on the bond of people.

Pimpbaa

Urban Scholar said:
I'll ring in on Mitsunari, he's indeed a man driven by one force. He is an embodiment of rage & vengeance. He wasn't exactly an angel to begin with. I'll refrain for spoilers but the end of his path makes sense.

He is the embodiment of a manchild. Mad at everyone for not being such a weak minded idiot as he is (not bowing down to his man lover Hideyoshi). Which is why he was mad at Ieyasu to begin with. Which is so mind numbering ridiculous. I mean fuck, in the end scene he is banging his hands on the ground like a child having a temper tantrum. I don't know if I ever seen such a pussy of a villain before.

TreIII

Pimpbaa said:
He is the embodiment of a manchild. Mad at everyone for not being such a weak minded idiot as he is (not bowing down to his man lover Hideyoshi). Which is why he was mad at Ieyasu to begin with. Which is so mind numbering ridiculous. I mean fuck, in the end scene he is banging his hands on the ground like a child having a temper tantrum. I don't know if I ever seen such a pussy of a villain before.

The basic thing is that you do more to get the "whole idea" of what Mitsunari is through not only his other play routes (Mitsunari's Blue route > His Red route), but also through other characters' route.

Say what you will about Mitsunari, but in the end, what Ieyasu described about him is true. He's honest to a fault. He hates betrayal and trickery.

A key thing lies in one aspect that you can see in others' storylines. For example, he wants no part in Gyobu and Motonari's various mind games and underhanded schemes. Gyobu lies to Tsuruhime to her face on a number of routes, and he does not participate in such. Then when confronted by Motochika on Motochika's Green route, Mitsunari was willing to forfeit his life to Motochika, just on the grounds that he hates such trickery, even if it was not something he ordered on his watch.

But in short, if you haven't seen everything yet, you can't say you know Mitsunari in his entirety. There is more to Mitsunari then his "IEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~!!!!" that he's been made famous for. :lol

Erigu

Urban Scholar said:
The one character that I find a bit hard to shallow is Ieyasu. Maybe its due to me not seeing how he was in the past games but his goals are too lofty. Being under the servitude of so many clearly left its mark. He's my favorite character hands down but a bit much on the bond of people.
*opens fire on Kobayakawa*
Kobayawa: AAAAAAAAH! I'M SWITCHING SIDES! I'M SWITCHING SIDES!
Ieyasu: Behold the Power of Bonds!

Basically, the whole thing would be a lot more convincing had that supposed "power" been demonstrated at one point or another in the game... Those who joined Ieyasu did so for their own reasons (whereas several characters joined Mitsunari because they cared for the guy).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pimpbaa said:

Um, he is the embodiment of Japanese unflinching loyalty. Consider that it was a time when retainers would kill themselves if their masters asked them to. In that context, he's hardly a manchild.

Vhalyar

Erigu said:
*opens fire on Kobayakawa*
Kobayawa: AAAAAAAAH! I'M SWITCHING SIDES! I'M SWITCHING SIDES!
Ieyasu: Behold the Power of Bonds!
This is an historical fact though, strange as it seems :lol

Erigu said:
Those who joined Ieyasu did so for their own reasons (whereas several characters joined Mitsunari because they cared for the guy).

True, I recall often times Ieyasu even made those comments.

thetrin said:
Um, he is the embodiment of Japanese unflinching loyalty. Consider that it was a time when retainers would kill themselves if their masters asked them to. In that context, he's hardly a manchild.

Within context of the game's world I agree with this. He lives for his servitude to Hideyoshi.

Vhalyar said:

?! Those Japanese warlords were truly over the top.

Erigu

Vhalyar said:
Well, maybe not that last part, but yeah, I know. It just seemed kinda misguided to include that particular reference, considering Sengoku Basara Ieyasu is supposed to be such a great guy. :lol

Well, I guess you could still say he might not have ordered that...
(in which case, Tadakatsu just got himself an interesting character trait!)

Shouta

Urban Scholar said:
?! Those Japanese warlords were truly over the top.

It's in fact true, Kobayakawa was waffling before the battle of Sekigahara some and Ieyasu fires blanks on him and his army to force him into action. That really turned the tide of the battle.

Shouta said:
It's in fact true, Kobayakawa was waffling before the battle of Sekigahara some and Ieyasu fires blanks on him and his army to force him into action. That really turned the tide of the battle.

Awesome.

Erigu

Ôtani dramatically cursing Kobayakawa for his betrayal is also a historical reference...

When Ôtani was defeated at Sekigahara, it is said that right before committing suicide, he turned toward Kobayakawa's forces and claimed "beast in human form, a curse shall befall you within three years!"
Kobayakawa died two years later.

Erigu said:
Ôtani dramatically cursing Kobayakawa for his betrayal is also a historical reference...

When Ôtani was defeated at Sekigahara, it is said that right before committing suicide, he turned toward Kobayakawa's forces and claimed "beast in human form, a curse shall befall you within three years!"
Kobayakawa died two years later.

I love this drama it's even better when historical. I'm liking this game more & more.

Vhalyar

Erigu said:
Those who joined Ieyasu did so for their own reasons (whereas several characters joined Mitsunari because they cared for the guy).
To go back on this... that's not a very good assessment of Mitsunari's army.

Yoshitsugu: ...
uses Mitsunari to further his goals of spreading misery, looks down on Mitsunari
Shimazu: Saw that Ieyasu was doing fine, took pity on Mitsunari in order to ensure that no matter which side won, there would be a positive future.
Chocokabe: Tricked like a retard, but at least he's loyal.
Motonari: ...
betrays Yoshitsugu
Kanbe: Got his arm twisted into joining.
Oichi: ...
brainwashed into service
Yukimura: He's pretty honest and loyal... but ends up being lifted out of his stupor thanks to Ieyasu and truly respects him.
Hideyaki: Bullied into joining but betrays Mitsunari.

On the eastern side, you can say that Iyeasu has Hojo and Tsuruhime as people who care about him and/or his desire to unite all through bonds. If Chosokabe wasn't retarded he'd also be all over Ieyasu's vision. At least his army's not full of turncoats and hypocrites :lol

Keep in mind that the non-red routes are basically "what if" scenarios and don't necessarily reflect the true nature of the characters. Oda doesn't actually return from the dead.

Erigu

Vhalyar said:
To go back on this... that's not a very good assessment of Mitsunari's army.
Hey, I didn't say it applied to all of them. ;þ

Yoshitsugu: ...
uses Mitsunari to further his goals of spreading misery, looks down on Mitsunari
But there's more to it than that...

Chocokabe: Tricked like a retard, but at least he's loyal.
He actually likes Mitsunari, according to a couple of cutscenes...

On the eastern side, you can say that Iyeasu has Hojo and Tsuruhime as people who care about him and/or his desire to unite all through bonds.
I don't think anyone (among the main characters) actually joined Ieyasu because that superbond theory of his sounded kinda cool... Hôjô wanted to restore the past glory of his clan and simply saw Ieyasu as the best horse to bet on (well, that and he's probably not a huge fan of Hideyoshi), and Tsuruhime was pissed at Ôtani.
It seems to me the only actual bonds Ieyasu shares with other characters are with Tadakatsu and Chôsokabe, and those aren't new...

Keep in mind that the non-red routes are basically "what if" scenarios and don't necessarily reflect the true nature of the characters.
I wouldn't say that... They're not out of character in their alternate routes, and red routes contradict each other anyway so it's not like you could simply say they're the canonical story of this entry...
If anything, I'd say the red routes are the first routes the developers want you to see for each character, but beyond that...

Oda doesn't actually return from the dead.
In my mind, he does! ><
Seriously though, if it were up to me to pick what's canonical in the events depicted by this entry, I'd probably find it hard to completely disregard that subplot... Otherwise, Oichi and (especially) Tenkai would feel a bit out of place...

TreIII

Erigu said:
I wouldn't say that... They're not out of character in their alternate routes, and red routes contradict each other anyway so it's not like you could simply say they're the canonical story of this entry...
If anything, I'd say the red routes are the first routes the developers want you to see for each character, but beyond that...

Exactly. :lol

If anything, take the stories that were told in this game for what they are. Because by the next game in the series, more than likely? Everything will start all over again in a new "continuity" of sorts.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tokugawa's L1 + /\ and then [][][][][] is fucking awesome. It's like being Kenshiro :lol

TreIII said:
Exactly. :lol

If anything, take the stories that were told in this game for what they are. Because by the next game in the series, more than likely? Everything will start all over again in a new "continuity" of sorts.

Where are they going to go from here? Sekigahara -> Meiji. It's not a particularly interesting time, from a war standpoint, unless they covered the transition to the Meiji period.

thetrin said:
Tokugawa's L1 + /\ and then [][][][][] is fucking awesome. It's like being Kenshiro :lol

Where are they going to go from here? Sekigahara -> Meiji. It's not a particularly interesting time, from a war standpoint, unless they covered the transition to the Meiji period.

It's even better when you go Forward + /\, charge up the second hit to knock them in the air and then jump and L1 + /\ for the air atatatatatatatatat

thetrin

robotzombie said:
It's even better when you go Forward + /\, charge up the second hit to knock them in the air and then jump and L1 + /\ for the air atatatatatatatatat

When I was playing split screen with my buddy this past weekend, he kept staring at me when I was running around as Tokugawa and shouting "ATATATATATATATATA"

TreIII

thetrin said:

They never said anything about how they weren't up to the notion of going back in time, either. In fact, Koba basically did more to hint at that very prospect. Perhaps they'll go back and do a little bit more in the way of explaining some things.

For example, we know little to nothing about Nouhime's relationship with her Pops, Saito Dosan (who I'm hoping will be up for a possibility in the series some time), and we STILL don't know the details behind the back-story relating to
Hideyoshi killing Nene
, and the fallout that ensued between Hideyoshi, Hanbei and KG as a result of all that.

If anything, I'm hoping that by SB4, we'll basically do more to cover the entirety of the Sengoku era, as opposed to just focusing around a singular event like Sekigahara in SB3 (or Honnouji in the previous games). A lot of the characters, especially Nobunaga and Oichi, really just don't have the "oomph" they used to have, because they lack their supporting cast. Even Yukimura isn't as fun as he used to be, because he doesn't have "OYAKATA-SAMA~~~!!!!" to interact with.

So yeah...gimme back my friggin' characters, Capcom. :lol

Vhalyar

The red stories do flow together though. For example, the red Oichi, Kanbe and Motonari stories all make sense no matter who you play as. Kanbe gets abused, Oichi gets brainwashed and Motonari plots his schemes. I'm sure there's some exception(s) somewhere, but as a whole they work together... obviously with different ending view points.

Hojo sending Kotaro to track down some medicine, while Hideyaki beats the hell out of both Ieyasu and and Mitsunari and nearly conquers Japan? That is hard to reconcile with the other stories :lol

And yeah, the next game will most certainly go back to being a non-continuity with no (or few) dead characters. SB3 is a bit of an oddity in this regard.

TreIII said:
They never said anything about how they weren't up to the notion of going back in time, either. In fact, Koba basically did more to hint at that very prospect. Perhaps they'll go back and do a little bit more in the way of explaining some things.

For example, we know little to nothing about Nouhime's relationship with her Pops, Saito Dosan (who I'm hoping will be up for a possibility in the series some time), and we STILL don't know the details behind the back-story relating to
Hideyoshi killing Nene
, and the fallout that ensued between Hideyoshi, Hanbei and KG as a result of all that.

If anything, I'm hoping that by SB4, we'll basically do more to cover the entirety of the Sengoku era, as opposed to just focusing around a singular event like Sekigahara in SB3 (or Honnouji in the previous games). A lot of the characters, especially Nobunaga and Oichi, really just don't have the "oomph" they used to have, because they lack their supporting cast. Even Yukimura isn't as fun as he used to be, because he doesn't have "OYAKATA-SAMA~~~!!!!" to interact with.

Feels kinda like the SW series where SW1 was more focused on Nobunaga, SW2 on Sekigahara, and then SW3 was just individual stories more focused on the relationships between characters than any singular event / timeframe focus.

While there are side stuff here and there that didn't fit in overall, I basically see the SB series as:
SB1 = Rise of the Oda
SB2 = Rise of the Toyotomi
SB3 = Rise of the Tokugawa

Now that all 3 Unifiers have had a game kinda focused on them, we can just dive into personal character stories to deepen relationships w/ characters and also hopefully go back and give some nice backstory on many things (one thing I would be interested in is if they ever reveal who sent Kasuga to kill Kenshin).

Valcryst

Neo Member
I made some researches and it's good to see that Capcom made a good job with the historical references.
the Game takes place between Hideyoshi's death (1598) and the Sekigahara battle (1600), so it's right what AdawgDaFAB said, it's basically the ascension of the Tokugawa.
The taking of Osaka castle, the East vs. West and Ishida/Tokugawa rivalry, Ieyasu's alliance with Date and Mogami (and lately Hideaki)...everything seems quite correct.

SB4 - Edo Period? Can't wait!!

Anyway, played a bit in the weekend...96 hours and still 46%, while 56% for trophies!

A Huge Battleship said:
In terms of character use/preference:

S: Oichi
A: Tsuruhime, Yoshitsugu, Magoichi
B: Kotaro, Motochika, Ieyasu,
C: Date, Nobunaga, Motonari, Mitsunari
D: Yukimura, Kanbe, Tadakatsu, Keiji
Zzz: Shimazu

Mine so far is;

SSStylish: Kotaro
A: Oichi, Mitsunari and Yoshihiro
B: Ieyasu, Magoichi and Nobunaga
C: Keiji, Yukimura and Kanbe
D: Tadakatsu, Date, Motochika and Yoshitsugu
Zzz: Tsuruhime
Not Yet Played: Motonari

Die Squirrel Die said:
'Sorry Mitsunari, I burnt the toast'
'You burnt the toast? How could you betray me'
'I'm sorry, the phone rang and it was Dave and he just wouldn't stop going on...'
'I shall not sleep until I have dragged you down to hell, YOU BASTARD!!!!!'
'Geez, calm down it's only a piece of toa...'
'IEYASU!!!!!IIIEEYYY'
'I'm not Ieya....
'AAAAAAAASUUUUUU!!!!!! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!'

:lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Might as well chip in with my list.

S++++: Kotaro
A: Ieyasu, Magoichi
B: Nobunaga, Oichi, Date, Mitsunari
C: Keiji, Yukimura, Kanbe, Motochika
D: Tsuruhime, Tadakatsu
Zzzzz: Shimazu, Yoshitsugu, Motonari

Tailzo

AdawgDaFAB said:
Mostly thanks to you, I got the game. I played through some levels with the one eyed dragon. Lotsa fun! I was so close to getting over a 1000 combo... Really addicting!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Tailzo said:
Mostly thanks to you, I got the game. I played through some levels with the one eyed dragon. Lotsa fun! I was so close to getting over a 1000 combo... Really addicting!

Don't worry, here soon you'll be getting 50,000+ hit combos like the rest of us. :D

thetrin

TreIII said:

Hideyoshi killing Nene

I'm totally crazy, so you're welcome to disagree, but I'd love for them to take the Basara name and extend it across other historical timelines.

I mean, really. Who DOESN'T want CIVIL WAR BASARA?

thetrin said:
I'm totally crazy, so you're welcome to disagree, but I'd love for them to take the Basara name and extend it across other historical timelines.

Waterloo Basara! Fuck yeah!

TreIII

thetrin said:

I certainly wouldn't mind such a thing, but there's just one problem: would changing the scenario really stand to garner that much more in the way of appeal?

I mean, I certainly wouldn't mind a BASARA take on the Civil War (complete with bishounen bad-ass versions of Lee and Grant shouting out each other's names and explosions every where :lol), and I would like to think the Japanese fan base wouldn't either. But it would likely be of little use if the West largely still continues to hate on "Ikki Tousen" games (the style of game that BASARA and MUSOU both embody).

Not to mention the fact that you might start getting "interest groups" involved for the sake of overly-sensitive Americans. "You can't have this guy represented this way, that's IGNORANT~!" :lol

thetrin

TreIII said:
I certainly wouldn't mind such a thing, but there's just one problem: would changing the scenario really stand to garner that much more in the way of appeal?

I mean, I certainly wouldn't mind a BASARA take on the Civil War (complete with bishounen bad-ass versions of Lee and Grant shouting out each other's names and explosions every where :lol), and I would like to think the Japanese fan base wouldn't either. But it would likely be of little use if the West largely still continues to hate on "Ikki Tousen" games (the style of game that BASARA and MUSOU both embody).

Not to mention the fact that you might start getting "interest groups" involved for the sake of overly-sensitive Americans. "You can't have this guy represented this way, that's IGNORANT~!" :lol

yeah, well fuck 'em :lol

Mrbob

Finally got this game today, and it really is fantastic. So addicting I finished the campaign with Saika Magoichi in one run. Only about 45 percent complete with her at the moment going to go upgrade here some more! How are people finding their total playtime (playing on PS3)? I don't see it anywhere.

The action is great, and the map layout is done really well. Lots of post battle improvements between weapons, accessories, allies that help keep you engaged. Nice progression of moves to use as well with plenty of upgrades. I'm really impressed with how deep the combat system is in this game.

Koei better step it up with Dynasty Warriors 7. I might have found my new drug.

DTJAAAAM

Mrbob said:
How are people finding their total playtime (playing on PS3)? I don't see it anywhere.

You have to look at the save file from the PS3's main menu. It isn't displayed in the actual game.

Valcryst

Neo Member
A huge THANKS to AdawgDaFAB for the Weapons/Materials .csv, I finally found where one of the last materials I need is (Osaka-Dragon Summer!).
I still haven't got a single Daimyo Helmet, is there any particular requirement? Do I have to parry 5 times in a row or something like that, or it's just a matter of luck? :\

Seraphis Cain said:
S++++: Kotaro

<3

Oh, and after playing him, Motonari just made his way to the A rank for me, I just loved his unique fighting style, with archers, decoys and solar beams...he even turns enemies into allies! :lol

Hah, still playing. Mainly Fugitive (luck+) hunting with Oichi and trying to get materials from Sekigahara Ultimate. I'd probably switch Motonari and Yukimura around in my preferences having spent more time with them.

Also recently watched season 1 of the Basara anime! Nouhime > [Magoichi x 1000].

Tailzo said:
Wow! How is that possible? I always run out of ennemies to hit.
Sekigahara Intrusion. Absolutely unparalleled in terms of facilitating combos. One Hero Time = 99,999+ hits, 1000+KOs, killed Tadakatsu and Yoshitsugu and even managed to start on Ieyasu and Mitsunari a bit. And that was using Oichi's 100 power weapon.

Tailzo

I'm so happy. My wife agreed to try the game, and she found it fun. We'll play more splitscreen today. (She asked for it!) She's searching for treasure, while I beat the bosses (mostly.) It surprises me, as she has never liked a hack'n slash before.

I wish more games had local co-op :)

mintylurb

Pretty fun game but man my slim ps3 makes some loud disc reading noise when playing this game. It's actually quite scary. I'm wondering if amazon sent me a defective disc or something. I've had so much bad luck with amazon lately ;/

segarr

Tailzo said:
I'm so happy. My wife agreed to try the game, and she found it fun. We'll play more splitscreen today. (She asked for it!) She's searching for treasure, while I beat the bosses (mostly.) It surprises me, as she has never liked a hack'n slash before.

I wish more games had local co-op :)
That's awesome that your wife would like this. Co-op ftw!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Haven't played much lately, I'm going through Mitsunari's second path now. He's hilarious!

segarr

After being confused for about 10 hours, I finally realized that when they refer to the East, they're really referring to the South. When they refer to the West, they're referencing the North. Why is this and is it historically accurate? Did the Japanese consider the islands a horizontal stretch as opposed to a vertical one?

Tailzo

segarr said:
That's awesome that your wife would like this. Co-op ftw!
Yeah :) We played for around 3-4 hours today. Got a combo of over 17.000!! It's easier in co op. Also, if one of us dies, the other can heklp out :)

segarr

Tailzo said:
Yeah :) We played for around 3-4 hours today. Got a combo of over 17.000!! It's easier in co op. Also, if one of us dies, the other can heklp out :)
3-4? :-o I rarely played with my brother when we were kids and almost everything was co-op for that long of a stretch. She's really into it!

Top Bottom