• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus |OT| Life Returns to Vita

You definitely need to be okay with very overt fanservice, especially if you want to play through the Hebijou story.
You won't be able to avoid Ryona.

Thankfully, I enjoy it. Hopefully you do too!

Anywho, I'm really enjoying the online modes but wow, the difference in how good Murakumo is after transformation as opposed to before is absolutely insane. I went from being in last place in a deathmatch and only having 500 points to winning a first to 50k in less than a minute.

I guess I'm pretty okay with fanservice. I love action brawler games and I just don't know whether the game mechanic alone will satisfy someone like me who know nothing about the series or I need to be a hardcore fan in order to enjoy this game.

Jathaine

I guess I'm pretty okay with fanservice. I love action brawler games and I just don't know whether the game mechanic alone will satisfy someone like me who know nothing about the series or I need to be a hardcore fan in order to enjoy this game.

Fanservice aside, the mechanics are good. I wish the maps were larger and there was more variance in objectives but I still feel I made a good purchase.

Fanservice aside, the mechanics are good. I wish the maps were larger and there was more variance in objectives but I still feel I made a good purchase.

I guess I'll pick this one soon. I just need to do more research to know more about this game, or I'll wait for price drop since there are a lot of games that I wanna buy this month.

Size difference going from my Vita to PS TV lol

NA version on the PS TV, JP on the Vita.

2014-10-1703.38.46idp0m.jpg

Dude...Thora you just cost me money. I need this now.

jwk94

I really wish there was a "previously on..." for those of us who didn't play burst or watch the anime. Even though I watched the anime, some of these things are confusing and i have no clue if they're going by the anime' events or not.

Tapejara

I give Amazon.ca until the end of the day before I cancel my order and switch to someone else. Unfortunately this reminds me all too much of when I pre-ordered the Muramasa Rebirth LE from them and a month after release it still hadn't shipped.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Besides the evident ecchi, how can you sell this game to me guys? I'm a story and speedy gameplay kinda guy.

It's usually either €40 or €45 iirc. There was talk of a sale, but I don't know if that was NA-only.

Well that sucks. How come this is so much cheaper as a new release :p. I'm not really that interested in Burst but might as well play it before this one.

Maybe I'll wait awhile for a possible sale.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Besides the evident ecchi, how can you sell this game to me guys? I'm a story and speedy gameplay kinda guy.
Now Ultros Boogie's stuck in my head

Basically, if you want speedy, you can perform some quick combos & even air juggle as well. You should watch some of the trailers to get a sense of the speed.

As for story, there's times where the game turns into VN-style cutscenes giving the stories of the different girls & their past that are rather good, or at the very least, way more than you'd expect. I don't remember if Yagyu's eyepatch was detailed in Burst, but again, it's kind of a nice surprise when the story gets serious so you can get more emotional connection for the girls instead of just physical.

It's not ground breaking or gonna win any awards, sure, but you can tell the writers wanted you to care for the girls as actual characters,

deadfolk

Well that sucks. How come this is so much cheaper as a new release :p. I'm not really that interested in Burst but might as well play it before this one.

No idea why SV is so cheap. Was very pleasantly surprised.

Seeing as burst got a retail release in EU, it might be worth looking for used copies in the usual places.

Imouto

Banned
4gamer has chara-designs of the Gessen girls for the Estival Versus OVA : http://www.4gamer.net/games/244/G024431/20141017112/

So their idea is that I should buy 2 premium packages to complete the collection?

Trying to find the old Nintendo games. You'd be surprised.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They should have had random pictures of the girls during loading screens. Would make the load times more bearable.
At least there's tips that're a bit lengthy, but yes, loading times are probably one of the main issues I have with this game. It helps that I tend to quick check stuff online while it loads, though.

On that subject, anyone hear any updates about the localisation of Dekamori yet?
Nothing yet, but with SV out, we should hear more info about its release date & price soon.

Ohnonono

One.. someone please make some rad correctly sized vita screens for this game and post them up in here (not TOO racy!)

Second. Life and hometown aside, this is a REALLY good beat em up game. I have played from day one with all my free time at night (have wife/kid) and am MAYBE halfway done with one school (I also still have one personal story to go though with one character.) I hate that the fanservicy stuff could turn people away because it is the best brawler on vita by far. Getting used to the mechanics slowly over time has been a real joy. No character seems like an afterthought, they all have very unique play styles and move sets, and all the custom stuff on top is really just gravy. I am not VIDEO GAMES WRITER, but I give it a worth your damn 40$ by a long shot.

flohen95

No idea why SV is so cheap. Was very pleasantly surprised.

Seeing as burst got a retail release in EU, it might be worth looking for used copies in the usual places.

Good news - you don't even have to buy it used to get a good price. I got my copy for 30€ less than one month after launch (before it even launched in Germany), and it is in stock at Amazon.co.uk for £19,99. Depending on where you live, you should check some other online shops, though, might be even cheaper for you if you're not in the UK.

Also, I broke the promise to myself to not look into this thread while wating for my copy to arrive. It's just too tempting. ):

So the EU version is censored
Hey Anoia

Thanks for getting in touch, and we massively appreciate your support.

I can confirm that this is not a bug, it was a conscious decision to remove the subtitles from the dressing room in the European version of SHINOVI VERSUS (and Bon Appétit!).

When localised, we found that some of the dressing room phrases would have been unacceptable for 1 or more of the classification boards we submit our games to. In order to get the game out in PAL territories at the same time as the US (or even at all) and without any functionality modifications, we decided to remove the subs.

All dressing room functionality and Japanese voice acting remains intact, so everything that appears in the original Japanese version of the game is still in its original state.

I hope that you can understand the necessity to do this and still continue to enjoy the game and the SENRAN KAGURA series as a whole.

www.marvelousgames.com/forumIn/topic/some-subtitles-missing-from-eu-version/#post-1014

flohen95

I'm curious - did Burst have subtitles for the dressing room in the American version?

Edit: Also, just guessing here, but if the Australian release is also handled by Marvelous Europe (which I assume it is, since Australia = Europe most of the time), I'd guess the reason for censoring the game might have been the Australian Classification Board. I'd imagine they'd be picky about certain phrases, seeing how they rated stuff like Atelier Rorona+ (which is rated 6 by the USK, 12 by PEGI, for reference) with their second highest possible rating (R18+) due to stuff that's implied by the game's script.
I don't mind though. The much bigger problem in my eyes is the digital only release, I wouldn't get worked up about slight censorship. Though I know some people will.

Imouto

Banned

I don't like it. Not the interview, but the thread.
You know people will shit on SK without bothering to do a research about what it is, aside from some google images.

Also, I feel like SK's original characters are well-crafted and interesting enough, they don't need to include any other characters from different franchise into their games, honestly.

MSMrRound

The interview is.

Wish Marvelous did away with that side-scrolling subtitles in the video though. Wanted to check out the interview but damn at that camera/audio work. Even more so about that ridiculous and annoying endless side-scrolling subtitles.

Hurts my head just to watch.

Game systems and engine here feel more finely tuned than they were in Burst, and quite a lot of fun to play. I started with Gessen but switched a few chapters in to Hanzo. So much visual customization, I mix everyone up with new looks. And, yeah, one is not left wanting for fanservice here...Shinovi Versus unabashedly delivers.

Don't have much to complain about as both the gameplay and the eye candy options are better than expected. Load times perhaps and maybe being able to rename the saved costume sets would have been helpful.

As for the game packaging, the physical LE is relatively well-produced. The included art and character book has a lot of content and the audio cd/case is also more complete than the usual simple sleeve and a few songs.

Imouto

Banned
Sorry, let me edit my post then.

Well, the interview is interesting, but just because of that one question and it stirred up into something ugly. Time to abandon that thread I guess.

Interesting that he said all girls' name are alias and they have their real name. Then again this is the first time I heard any girl has "Katsuragi" as their name.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I finally got to play a little of this yesterday, and it's a lot of fun. It's also genuinely humorous, and the gratuitous jiggleness of the game is absurd, but also fun. And I though I was a boob guy. Clearly, the devs of this game have a special love for the female form that I've failed to attain. I must work harder...

My wife finds the game silly, especially the unrealistic bouncing of the boobs and ass. She hasn't seen much of the game yet, and neither have I. The combat is a lot of fun, and the graphics are sharp and look fantastic in my OLED screen. I can't wait until I have more time to play it.

Love the game but the dialog sometimes lol....

Not really a spoiler but...
I am tired of being told I am terrible or they are not fighting to the full ability when I take on 3 people at once and they are all basically nude by the end and I am still fully clothed

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well that's....interesting. I only played Hanzo, so I really didn't read anything that'd seem like it was worth removing. But keeping the actual dialogue still strikes me as odd. It's like with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle where the name of a stand or person was changed (i.e like "Aerosmith" to "L'il Bomber") but the voices were kept the same so they STILL SAID THE ORIGINAL, CORRECT NAMES.

Hell, speaking of which, why not change the subtitles, then? Sure, it's lying, but at least people would have a jest of what's being said.

Top Bottom