• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Speaking of credits, I keep expecting the opening credits to zoom out to spell 'World War Z'. Just rewatched the wwz credits and they aren't that similar, not sure why I link the two.

Jams775

I liked the series despite my problems with the show. I gave it 5 stars on Netflix anyways to support it in hopes of another season. The problems I had luckily are now out of the way and hopefully they don't repeat them every season.
My fav character is Sun for sure. I reallylike that she has some anger issues and that she has a supernatural outlet for them.

Strax

I tried out for four roles in EP 10 but didn't get it. I'm still in the show with a non-speaking role so thats kinda cool I guess.

Impressions in here seem beyond mixed. Some of you are loving this whilst others remain unimpressed. It's the Wachowskis though so I feel obligated to take the plunge. To those that have finished the entire season are you glad to have invested the time in to the show?

Impressions in here seem beyond mixed. Some of you are loving this whilst others remain unimpressed. It's the Wachowskis though so I feel obligated to take the plunge. To those that have finished the entire season are you glad to have invested the time in to the show?
Short answer? Yes.

Kinsei

Banned

Yes.

Lexi Alexander (film director; Punisher War Zone, Green Street) comments on the unrealistic black teenager cop scene.

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/607549679513960448

Yeah that part was a bit much. Not for the reasons she stated though.

JimiNutz

Banned
How is the action in this?
Is there much of it and how does it stack up to some of the stuff in The Matrix trilogy?

I appreciate that this is a TV show and not a big multi million dollar movie but is the action well shot and well choreographed?

Is there much of it and how does it stack up to some of the stuff in The Matrix trilogy?

I appreciate that this is a TV show and not a big multi million dollar movie but is the action well shot and well choreographed?
The action scenes are well done, particularly ones involving Sun.

Some of them are quite over the top, but that's generally intentional, and also should be expected given the creators.

El Topo

Absolutely.

There's some action, mostly later on. I'd say the action is shot well, but not nearly on the level e.g. of Daredevil.

Kinsei

Banned

There's a lot more action than I was expecting. I thought it was well shot and choreographed but I don't watch many action shows/movies so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Kurdel

Banned
There's some action, mostly later on. I'd say the action is shot well, but not nearly on the level e.g. of Daredevil.

I have to disagree with this, but opinions, am I right!

To me, Daredevil had one super memorable fight scene in the hallway and that was it.

In Sense8, every action scene was ridiculously cool and well shot.

Kyougar

Binged the show the last 2 days. WOW.

I really like the show and hope it can get its 5 season plan going.

Highlights:

- Episode 4 karaoke, so great and emotional
- Episode 6 Orgy was something.... special
- Episode 10 Birth Scene... I'm not disturbed by it, but it was jawdropping in the "did they really show us that?" sense.

In regards to the scope and amount of extras and wideshots, it was insane! Also really dig that they screen on the original places.
I have no issues with a single character and no issues with the accents. Yes, I would have preferred (more) original language usage but I think if JMS and the Wachovskies could have done that, they would have. I think it was a Netflix decission.

Riley is so cute. And has a beautiful smile.

9JR93Ty.jpg

She has been my celebrity crush for years

ilikeme

Finished it.

Lots of ridiculous dialogue, stereotypical portrayals and silly writing.

But also some of the most heartwarming scenes, great cinematography, just visual beauty in abundance, and a warm sense of fun. Most enjoyable series I've seen in a while. Looking forward to season 2!

Lito and Hernando are so damn attractive. I understand Dani completely lol

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Binged the show the last 2 days. WOW.

I really like the show and hope it can get its 5 season plan going.

They want to do 5 seasons of this? I mean, that would be cool but that seems like a big commitment from the Wachowskis.

Something struck me about the last scene and what it might mean if there is a season two.
Will will probably become heavily dependent on whatever Riley is drugging him with to hide him from Whispers. The rest of the cluster will have to try dealing with it, while also semi alienating him for his connection with Whispers.

scosher

I'm 4 episodes in and really enjoying it. My only gripe is the showrunner's lack of faith in the viewer to read English captions. Should've had the actors speak in their native language.

ilikeme

Best lines of the show?

Spoiler ep 9 Lito:

"I went to my knees. I took him into my mouth like.. I was taking holy communion." And then Nomi says.. "That kind of kiss changes you."

that kind of kiss? that exchange just kills me.

Something struck me about the last scene and what it might mean if there is a season two.
Will will probably become heavily dependent on whatever Riley is drugging him with to hide him from Whispers. The rest of the cluster will have to try dealing with it, while also semi alienating him for his connection with Whispers.

Isn't the tone of the show a bit too happy-go-lucky for that to be much of an 'issue'? I think it will be part of next season but I think it'll be solved in some relatively pain-free manner. Or that's just my feeling. I mean lots of bad shit happens in the show.. but it never seems too serious? Or maybe that's just my mindset haha, and because the writing is so hokey at times.

Zalasta

Impressions in here seem beyond mixed. Some of you are loving this whilst others remain unimpressed.

Well, it's not a show for everyone. And this may be a generalization but I feel a lot of the negative criticisms is due to people's prejudices against the Wachowskis. A few people have commented that they just can't get into the show and that's fine, but even more have made knocks against it because they disliked Wachowskis previous works. I guess I don't understand it because they seem to have some preconceived notion of what the show is already going to be so they are watching it to prove themselves right?

duckroll

They want to do 5 seasons of this? I mean, that would be cool but that seems like a big commitment from the Wachowskis.

They have 5 seasons mapped out. Whether they get to make it all will mostly depend on whether Netflix wants to pay for it. It's not like studios are going to be lining up for fund more blockbusters from the Wachowskis after Jupiter Ascending anyway. :p

Terrell

I'm 4 episodes in and really enjoying it. My only gripe is the showrunner's lack of faith in the viewer to read English captions. Should've had the actors speak in their native language.

It's a gripe I had, as well, but with only 2 English-speaking characters in the whole series, I kind of understand where they're coming from. People have an aversion to subtitles because it takes their eyes away from the actual movie since they aren't fast readers. It's not that people won't do it, it's that they can't while enjoying the show. And doesn't resolve the issue of what the actors would need to speak when talking to each other.

Either that, or he'll choose to forcibly blind himself/wear tons of blindfolds so that Whispers can't find him that easily. What they do with him now is definitely going to be a trick.

I'm also interested to see where they all end up. Next season is likely to shrink the amount of locations they need to shoot in once they physically converge on one another. Iceland seems to be permanently out of the picture, so Riley will likely head to Chicago with Will. Wolfgang will end up physically in India at some point. Not sure about Capheus, Sun, Nomi and Lito, at this point, though.

duckroll

The lack of subtitles on the show is not a lack of confidence in viewers reading subtitles, it is a deliberate intent to make the viewer feel like part of the sensate cluster. That's how they feel each other - they just understand what the other characters understand, without knowing how. Subtitles would not really convey that feeling accurately.

Geido

It took some time to click, but the pay-off is amazing. Love the show, really hoping they'll get to tell the entire story.

Terrell

*vague full-season spoilers*

I also like how all their worlds seem to intertwine with one another in ways they don't yet understand beyond their sensate bond.

Sun's company is in the middle of a major deal with a pharmaceutical company, Kala creates pharmaceuticals and had a meeting regarding knock-off pharmaceuticals, an issue that Capheus has to deal with when obtaining medicine for his dying mother. Kala's father-in-law and future husband are suspected of funding illegal activities, Wolfgang obtains illicit diamonds that originate from India and Riley ends up in the middle of an illegal drug trade where the drugs seem like they were obtained via Wolfgang's uncle in Germany. Sun's brother is embezzling money from his company during all of this.

It just feels like all of them are somehow linked together tangentially in a criminal web of conspiracy, on top of everything else.

I might be misinterpreting, though, but the way they laid it out in the show overtop of each other tells me that there's much more to it that coincidence.

The lack of subtitles on the show is not a lack of confidence in viewers reading subtitles, it is a deliberate intent to make the viewer feel like part of the sensate cluster. That's how they feel each other - they just understand what the other characters understand, without knowing how. Subtitles would not really convey that feeling accurately.
Hadn't thought about this. It makes perfect sense.

*vague full-season spoilers*

I also like how all their worlds seem to intertwine with one another in ways they don't yet understand beyond their sensate bond.

Sun's company is in the middle of a major deal with a pharmaceutical company, Kala creates pharmaceuticals and had a meeting regarding knock-off pharmaceuticals, an issue that Capheus has to deal with when obtaining medicine for his dying mother. Kala's father-in-law and future husband are suspected of funding illegal activities, Wolfgang obtains illicit diamonds that originate from India and Riley ends up in the middle of an illegal drug trade where the drugs seem like they were obtained via Wolfgang's uncle in Germany. Sun's brother is embezzling money from his company during all of this.

It just feels like all of them are somehow linked together tangentially in a criminal web of conspiracy, on top of everything else.

I might be misinterpreting, though, but the way they laid it out in the show overtop of each other tells me that there's much more to it that coincidence.
Woah. I didn't notice any of this. Makes me appreciate the show even more.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Terrell

Hadn't thought about this. It makes perfect sense.

Woah. I didn't notice any of this. Makes me appreciate the show even more.

Thanks for pointing it out!

I'm quite a perceptive person and I know when show runners are intentionally trying to "hide but not hide" something.

I'm just glad that I know this because it gives all the characters something else to worry about beyond just their origin as sensates and their powers, once they finally figure it all out.

iNvid02

i find myself laughing regularly at this show but i love the interactions between everyone, its pleasant watching this so im going to continue.

Sai-kun

Banned
I finished this, fucking loved it, can't wait for another season! I neeeeeeed it!

Ep 12 spoilers
Lito introducing himself to Will with "We had sex" was fucking great. I'm glad they actually acknowledged that hahaha.

Epcott

On episode 10. Not a bad show, though the sex scenes are super indulgent (I can see them turning off a few viewers) and some things the characters do are so questionable given how smart they are
like ex-hacker Nomi going back to her home after being chased by authorities, then stating she threw them off with a falsified flight to Australia.
which still seems like a bad idea.

Those things aside, I'm still curious to see how this plays out.

Spoo

On sex scenes:

The more I watch, the more frequent they become, and I think it's purposeful even if it's a turnoff to some. Firstly, I think a lot of shows understandably eschew sex scenes between characters because they add little-to-nothing to the character development, and ostensibly it might seem that way here, but I think because of the nature of the characters, the notion of 'shared pleasure' is kind of ever-present in the show. Spoilerish for Episode 6:
Episode 6 (which I just finished), really tried to drive that idea home; it's one of the things the sensates are told will occur, and the scene, while graphic, did a good job of showing off that their connection is strong during moments of pleasure, and it's likely when their guard is down. So I found it to be a pretty effective realization of the shared consciousness they have, and equally character building. Maybe later on the sex scenes aren't as effective as that, but I think there's another interesting thing about the one in Episode 6, where there was a particular element of sexual fluidity (an orgy where sexual preference or identity was kind of 'removed' because, in a sense, it was similar to masturbation for the characters. It didn't matter, effectively, who was who, and what gender they were or what identity they had).

So, obviously, it's going to turn off some viewers because of the content itself, and there's a fair point to be made that it's overly graphic, but I think the scene itself was kind of a natural place for them to go, and I'm glad it went there regardless of execution.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
One thing I appreciated about the show is that at one point a character used a cel phone and the screen turned off when she put it to her ear like it does in real life LOL

2 things that pull me out of watching any show or movie, seeing a phone number that starts with 555 and seeing someone use a cel phone with the screen on while it's pressed against their ear.

They have 5 seasons mapped out. Whether they get to make it all will mostly depend on whether Netflix wants to pay for it. It's not like studios are going to be lining up for fund more blockbusters from the Wachowskis after Jupiter Ascending anyway. :p

Good point.

rexor0717

Episode 10
I don't know why Lito doesn't think he is going to get strung up by this cartel dude. Also, Bar dude is no Hernando. Not even close

That birthing scene was actually really well done and kinda beautiful.

jorgeton

Been watching this over the weekend.

Like recent Wachowski projects, it's messy and corny at times, but really heartfelt and moving. They can also still stage a great action scene. The handful we've gotten have been very nice. Also the show just looks great.

Episode 9 really cranked up the feels for me.
that scene in the museum with Nomi and Lito was so great.

Nafai1123

Banned
Just finished binging it and it might just be my favorite Netflix original yet. It's just such a joy to watch. From the cinematography and varied landscapes/locales, to the character interactions and sense of humor. Sure it has some flaws but I think the stories they told were effective.

Full Season Spoilers:
I found it interesting that they introduce this secondary plot device of them all being connected one way or another through the drug/pharmaceutical trade. It's not in your face or anything, but it exists and I'm curious if they will expand upon it in future seasons.

Lito's storyline might have been my favorite. I found myself laughing out loud on many occasions and it served as a great palate cleanser for the other, more serious tales going on. "We had sex" had me dying.

If they want to keep Will safe, I think the only thing they could do is find a secluded island or hideout somewhere to lay low while the others plan their counter attack. Will could be conscious as long as he doesn't know where they are, but that would prove extremely difficult in any recognizable city/town. The only reasonable solution at this point is to kill Whisper.

I can't wait for season two.

Terrell

I finished this, fucking loved it, can't wait for another season! I neeeeeeed it!

Ep 12 spoilers
Lito introducing himself to Will with "We had sex" was fucking great. I'm glad they actually acknowledged that hahaha.

It was a really great moment.
Even better because his reaction was less "eww gross" and more like that awkward moment when you wake up after being drunk and realize you slept with your friend.

And a lack of acknowledgement would seem pretty... tacky.

On sex scenes:

The more I watch, the more frequent they become, and I think it's purposeful even if it's a turnoff to some. Firstly, I think a lot of shows understandably eschew sex scenes between characters because they add little-to-nothing to the character development, and ostensibly it might seem that way here, but I think because of the nature of the characters, the notion of 'shared pleasure' is kind of ever-present in the show. Spoilerish for Episode 6:
Episode 6 (which I just finished), really tried to drive that idea home; it's one of the things the sensates are told will occur, and the scene, while graphic, did a good job of showing off that their connection is strong during moments of pleasure, and it's likely when their guard is down. So I found it to be a pretty effective realization of the shared consciousness they have, and equally character building. Maybe later on the sex scenes aren't as effective as that, but I think there's another interesting thing about the one in Episode 6, where there was a particular element of sexual fluidity (an orgy where sexual preference or identity was kind of 'removed' because, in a sense, it was similar to masturbation for the characters. It didn't matter, effectively, who was who, and what gender they were or what identity they had).

So, obviously, it's going to turn off some viewers because of the content itself, and there's a fair point to be made that it's overly graphic, but I think the scene itself was kind of a natural place for them to go, and I'm glad it went there regardless of execution.

I think you're right, it was really great in that sense. I guess I was just shocked that they really went ALL the way there and just threw them together in a pile. I was in absolute shock.
And the part immediately after when Capheus is watching his Van Damme movie and becomes noticeably awkward was fun. Like, he knew he shouldn't be enjoying the movie THAT much. *LOL*

Like recent Wachowski projects, it's messy and corny at times, but really heartfelt and moving. They can also still stage a great action scene. The handful we've gotten have been very nice. Also the show just looks great.

Yeah, it was a really great scene, I thought the two of them played off each other so well.
Especially when Lito lost it during the description of what happened to Nomi as a child. It was great because it was such a defining moment for how Lito needed to handle his situation, I think, and because it was making you remember that they feel what the others feel, so having Nomi retell and relive the moment in her head and Lito being unable to deal in such a big way was a great subtle reminder of that.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Are there any behind the scenes videos out there?
Would love to see how everything was shot and planned out

and goddamn at that scene in episode 6
giphy.gif

Sai-kun

Banned

Agreed with your ep 9 feels. Made me really upset and sad.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I just watched that....my reaction was a mix of that and....

e7f3257aa05c5a306e0964fc146ec7ec1555246a7f781cd64c4f0e1a684da7e1_large

I mean not only that but they did it so well
Could have made it really crass but instead it really showed how the connection ties them all

Loved eps 10 and 11, liked the finale. Was hoping for a bigger game changer like the end of Babylon 5s first season. Although I suppose what happens does mix things up a bit. Need for Lito and Van Damme in my life. Also obvs they need to get JCVD for season 2

Spoo

One would think that, when the main theme of the series is 8 unrelated people being able to share senses and skills, reality isn't expected. But oh well.

Not only that, but I think it's been made clear that the sensates are genuinely good people, regardless of other character flaws. The 'good cop' contrasts well with all the really bad cops, including his father, for the most part. They all have a sense of justice that you can see in basically each one of them. They are all uniquely juxtaposed with their situation in life: Moderate spoilers
(It would be cheaper to let his mom die, but he fights against it. Easier to drill into the safe, but he has to crack it. Easier to take the money and run, but she gives it away. Easier to fuck anything that moves, but he loves only the one. Easier to marry that guy for the millions of reasons he'd be a great choice, but she wants to marry for love. Easier to leave the kid bleeding, but he doesn't.)

So, yeah, everyone is kind of an outlier here. They are distinctly unrealistic and altruistic, in a sense. I imagine it's a bigger point being made, though I could be reading into it too much.

El Topo

So, yeah, everyone is kind of an outlier here. They are distinctly unrealistic and altruistic, in a sense. I imagine it's a bigger point being made, though I could be reading into it too much.

I also found it interesting (Spoilers for S1)
how for all of them (except for Lito) the parents are quite significant in one way or another. Most of them don't seem to have a normal, healthy relationship with them. Also a lot of dead/missing parents.

Kinsei

Banned
I also found it interesting (Spoilers for S1)
how for all of them (except for Lito) the parents are quite significant in one way or another. Most of them don't seem to have a normal, healthy relationship with them. Also a lot of dead/missing parents.

Kala seems to have a great relationship with her parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom