• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

Kala seems to have a great relationship with her parents.

Well, I wrote "most of them". Her parents still play a significant role in her life and influence her wedding/relationship. I guess you could though that say she ends up having a broken relation with her almost-father-in-law.

(Spoilers for Season 1)
Riley - Mother dead, childhood trauma, visiting her father gets her caught.
Will - Tought relationship with his father, I forgot about his absent mother
Nomi - Mother doesn't accept her as she is, almost gets her lobotomized, I forgot about her father (who never appears)
Wolfgang - Abusive and criminal father, no mother around (I think)
Lito - I forgot if they were ever mentioned
Kala - Parents inadvertedly push her towards her wedding, causing pressure, father-in-law later dislikes her, she gets him (inadvertedly) killed
Sun - Mother died, father neglected her, brother is a dick (unrelated, but it cannot be stressed enough)
Calpheus - Mother has AIDS, he tries to help her (which gets him in trouble), heritage caused problems, grew up without father

I probably forgot quite a lot, I'll have to watch some scenes again. Nonetheless, that's a lot of parent-related trouble. Except for Lito they all play a big role in one way or another.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm through eight episodes. I'm glad they are
starting to use each other strengths more and more.

Really liking the show.

im sad everyone speaks english. it kinda ruins the show for me.

I think Duckroll brings up a good point:

The lack of subtitles on the show is not a lack of confidence in viewers reading subtitles, it is a deliberate intent to make the viewer feel like part of the sensate cluster. That's how they feel each other - they just understand what the other characters understand, without knowing how. Subtitles would not really convey that feeling accurately.

Epcott

And finished!

What a crock of shite.

Just kidding. Even with the character I cared the least for, Capheus, I found myself chanting "Van fucking Damn" by the end of his arc. Sun and Wolfgang are two stand out characters for me. Will's actor always reminds me of a genetic mix between Channing Tatem and Nicholas Hoult, and it was a bit distracting.

I hope by season 2 they focus on
Sun's vengeance and the others help spring her from prison, Will connects the dots and finds Mr. Whispers responsible for the little girl's death, and Lito's coming out. I don't think Jonas will be free anytime soon. I hope we also get to meet other clusters and have them intermingle (which sort of happened this season and will more than likely happen by the next).

ivysaur12

Banned
They have 5 seasons mapped out. Whether they get to make it all will mostly depend on whether Netflix wants to pay for it. It's not like studios are going to be lining up for fund more blockbusters from the Wachowskis after Jupiter Ascending anyway. :p

Netflix has never actually canceled a show before. Well -- Hemlock Grove, but it even got a "final season." Netflix's model is based on finality. You can't binge something that doesn't have an ending.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Well just finished Season 1, glad I stuck with it, especially as the first two episodes were quite long in establishing the characters and the narrative of the show.

I'm hoping Netflix gives another shot at this series and keeps the budget as is as it's one of the best productions (scenery is just breathtaking) I've seen in a while.

Episode 10-12 were all well paced - definitely the best episodes.

And the line Lito gives to the cop lolz

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Just finished season 1. Loved it. Really need a season 2 to come, netflix please

Terrell

Just finished season 1. Loved it. Really need a season 2 to come, netflix please

It's pretty much all but guaranteed. Even if it's not a critical darling, a lot of people have already watched it. And you don't sign the Wachowskis to a TV show and then only give them a season.

duckroll

Netflix has never actually canceled a show before. Well -- Hemlock Grove, but it even got a "final season." Netflix's model is based on finality. You can't binge something that doesn't have an ending.

I think it'll definitely get another season, but it's going to take some serious motivation for Netflix to fund -5- seasons of this. I think it's easily the most expensive Netflix Original yet.

Terrell

I think it'll definitely get another season, but it's going to take some serious motivation for Netflix to fund -5- seasons of this. I think it's easily the most expensive Netflix Original yet.

They're likely to trim some of the locations they shoot in as the characters begin to converge on each other.

I can't imagine Wolfgang staying in Germany at this point, the Korean locale is currently a prison, which is a set that can be built anywhere. Riley and Will left Iceland, so that's done. And with that, you basically cut half the expense of making the show.

KarmaCow

There was a scene in I think episode 9 I loved where
Riley and Will are learning about being a sensate from Yrsa and Jonas respectively. Just that scene with Yrsa warning and being kinda disgusted with relationships within clusters and Jonas telling them to embrace it. Everything about the scene, the way it flipped between three conversations in three parts of the world, all daisy chained between the four of them just sent my mind racing.

Just thinking about how much potential there is to explore outside the intra-cluster relationships. Stuff like privacy, losing a sense of self, escaping into another person, people escaping to them, other clusters getting mixed in, not to mention the plot and real world connections becoming stronger. There is so much that could should happen. I'm whipping myself up into a tizzy just thinking about it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Do we know what the budget total is at? Even if it is a rumored number.

Zalasta

They still have a lot to learn about being a sensate since for the most part this season, they can't visit each other at will yet. Only when they seem to share a strong similar emotion, and only brief ly at times. They also have not figure out any practical applications of this connection. There are really a lot of potential ideas that can be explored for a 2nd season.

Hamlet

Hope the show gets picked up for a second season as the second half of the season shows there's a lot of potential in it to get much better and as others have said in here there's just something really endearing about the show that makes you want to like it despite some pretty bad dialogue and iffy story decisions at times.

Episode 12 -
Was the show at its best with all the sensate working together. Which are usually the shows best scenes. Sun's reaction to the guards was great lol "just four?" and the guards reacting to that poor car going up in flames heh. The ending was nice, though a little abrupt. I'm sure it'll probably get filled out a bit more in the second season.
May Van Damme give us another one.

I really kinda hope that she gets her proper vengeance there, her brother is a revolting man and I feel bad that she decided to go to jail because her mother didn't know what a bell-end she gave birth to when she made her daughter promise to take care of him.

I really hope he dies and/or suffers and she eventually gets exonerated. Not necessarily in that order, though.
All Spoilers
Yeah hopefully he meets a fate that he deserves after what he's done and Sun gets reunited with her cute dog. Though to think of it I wouldn't mind some prison escape sequence of sorts next season with all the Sensates helping get her out of there.

duckroll

Do we know what the budget total is at? Even if it is a rumored number.

I've never seen a number, and I don't think Netflix talks much about stuff like that. But between how the show looks, and the fact that it's shot entirely on location in 9 different cities and 8 different countries, it's expensive.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Finished. Loved the concept, sort of hated the execution. I wish that it was all like the scenes where
they work together to get through a problem
instead of a bunch of actors with questionable acting ability being sad.

Hope season 2 does a lot more with the concept now that
they're starting to meet in person

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I've never seen a number, and I don't think Netflix talks much about stuff like that. But between how the show looks, and the fact that it's shot entirely on location in 9 different cities and 8 different countries, it's expensive.

Yeah, they have released figures before. Probably will get them at the next quarterly report.

The most expensive Netflix show is Marco Polo, which was around $90-100 million. I'm sure Sense8 passed it.

Terrell

Yeah, they have released figures before. Probably will get them at the next quarterly report.

The most expensive Netflix show is Marco Polo, which was around $90-100 million. I'm sure Sense8 passed it.

OUCH, that much money for what some consider Netflix's 2nd-worst original show?

duckroll

What's the budget for House of Cards per season?

Skinpop

OUCH, that much money for what some consider Netflix's 2nd-worst original show?

really? guess it shouldn't surprise me considering it's quite out there but I think it's by far their best effort so far. I haven't seen all they've done though.

I'm personally more surprised that people liked dare devil so much which I thought was plain bad(the action sequences in particular are some of the worst I've seen recent years).

duckroll

Last season was around $60 million. Orange is hovering the $40 million mark.

Thanks. I bet a good chunk of that goes to the cast for HoC, as opposed to the majority of Marco Polo and Sense8 being due to scope. Glad to see Netflix being willing to fund a variety of stuff at a high cost though. It'll be interesting to see the numbers for Daredevil and Sense8 for this year.

Joeku

The end of
episode 4 was goddamn adorable. I'm a sucker for good interjections of songs in TV and movies, and conceptually this is the best kind cross-reality communication this side of Lost I can immediately recall.

This is me subtly subscribing to the thread.

ivysaur12

Banned

That's not really how their business model works, though. Hemlock Grove was a creative and, from what we can gather, commercial failure. It was easily the least watched of any Netflix originals and did extremely poorly in America (only slightly better overseas). Why was it renewed for not just one season, but three? As well as three being billed as a final season? Because Netflix needs that -- they need finality in order to make their series more profitable. The idea that renewing a show for a shorter final season in order to increase its licensing fee for a Netflix/SVOD has been a growing business model for linear studios and networks.

There's absolutely no question that Sense8 will do 5 seasons.

EDIT: Obviously, there are limits on patience. But I don't see that here at all. In fact, I don't even think they would've greenlit this show without knowing that they were probably going to putting down money for another 4, viewership most likely be dammed.

Slacker

Finished tonight. I think I enjoyed it overall. Maybe. The inorganic dialogue wasn't great, but didn't bother me that much. I'm not thrilled with the overall arc, mainly: (whole season 1 spoilers follow)

Did we ever get a firm explanation for the Whisper guy's motivations? I'm never a big fan of the shadowy villain syndicate who wants to kill super heroes because they're different storyline (read the excellent book Jumper then watch the horrible film with new made up evildoers for the most egregious example ever).

Sitting here thinking about it - all of the worst scenes involved the Whisper Man's plot. Nomi's implausible mother-aided abduction, and her CSI-style hacking the world later in the season (turn right here!). Riley's sudden (unshown to us) driving skills. Whatever they're going to do with Will next season to keep Whispers from seeing through his eyes (if he ends up with magic contact lenses I'm going to be pissed).

I guess I understand the need for an overarching plotline developing over time, otherwise every episode would be a monster-of-the-week style event where one of the 8 gets in trouble and someone else helps. I can imaging that getting old. I just didn't think the way it worked out was all that compelling.

Great visuals and music though. Will definitely at least give season two a shot.

First episode did not make me want to watch more. Seeing replies in here, I'll try to give it 3 eps... but not tonight. Man, that was rough.

duckroll

That's not really how their business model works, though. Hemlock Grove was a creative and, from what we can gather, commercial failure. It was easily the least watched of any Netflix originals and did extremely poorly in America (only slightly better overseas). Why was it renewed for not just one season, but three? As well as three being billed as a final season? Because Netflix needs that -- they need finality in order to make their series more profitable. The idea that renewing a show for a shorter final season in order to increase its licensing fee for a Netflix/SVOD has been a growing business model for linear studios and networks.

There's absolutely no question that Sense8 will do 5 seasons.

EDIT: Obviously, there are limits on patience. But I don't see that here at all. In fact, I don't even think they would've greenlit this show without knowing that they were probably going to putting down money for another 4, viewership most likely be dammed.

Well, the way I'm seeing it, the idea that Netflix needs finality in their series does not also need to be an ironclad promise to produce however many seasons the showrunners want. They could well come to a compromise where Netflix is willing to do less total seasons than they might want to make, but still arrange for the story to be conclusive by the end. This is like... the basic reality of doing business on television. If JMS and the Wachowskis decided tomorrow that instead of 5 seasons, they had 20 seasons worth of ideas, would Netflix decide to keep going all the way just because? I don't think that makes sense.

The 5 season thing isn't a contract or anything, it's just a vague comment which they made in regards to how much they have mapped out in hopes that they can keep making the show.

I don't disagree that Netflix is unlikely to cancel a series and leave viewers hanging, but I also think that the business is a fluid process.

First episode did not make me want to watch more. Seeing replies in here, I'll try to give it 3 eps... but not tonight. Man, that was rough.

If the first episode is a huge turn off, the series might not be for you. It does get better, but I would say the tone remains very much the same. Of course it depends on what you find unappealing about it. The dialogue remains ridiculous and very laughable throughout, the show wears diversity and social awareness as a badge, and it's very much a show which puts themes and concepts before anything else.

ivysaur12

Banned
Well, the way I'm seeing it, the idea that Netflix needs finality in their series does not also need to be an ironclad promise to produce however many seasons the showrunners want. They could well come to a compromise where Netflix is willing to do less total seasons than they might want to make, but still arrange for the story to be conclusive by the end. This is like... the basic reality of doing business on television. If JMS and the Wachowskis decided tomorrow that instead of 5 seasons, they had 20 seasons worth of ideas, would Netflix decide to keep going all the way just because? I don't think that makes sense.

The 5 season thing isn't a contract or anything, it's just a vague comment which they made in regards to how much they have mapped out in hopes that they can keep making the show.

I don't disagree that Netflix is unlikely to cancel a series and leave viewers hanging, but I also think that the business is a fluid process.

You're misreading what I'm saying -- Hemlock Grove would have most likely gone for more seasons if it was doing better. It wasn't. Therefore, it only did three seasons (which is a very economically damaging amount for the studio, but that's another story, and Netflix is not the studio). Yet, there's still a sense of finality there that's important to Netflix and elevates the final product for its userbase. I have no idea how Sense8 is doing. The studio, Georgeville, does not know how Sense8 is doing. No one does, unless you work at Netflix. So we sort of can only go on vague "research" into what people on Netflix are watching. We have an idea that Bloodline is not doing great. It will probably not win any Emmys, or even get nominated. Yet it'll still most likely run 4-5 seasons with the hope that, overtime, it'll become a product that the audience will find.

It's not like JMS and the Wachowski or Jenji Cohen or any showrunners on Netflix have them by the balls in terms of how many seasons they want. Hemlock Grove is proof enough of that. But it's unlikely that Sense8 won't end on its own terms, because if it did, that would make no sense for Netflix's business model.

And this isn't me just saying this -- this is sort of the reality of how we all perceive Netflix as a distributor here, and how they want creatives to perceive them. It's just unlikely you won't end up telling the full story. Again -- realities could create a situation like Hemlock Grove. But I don't see that happening here, at all, especially since Hemlock Grove was picked up before Netflix was actually a thing.

rexor0717

Just finished it, this is tied with Daredevil for the best thing Netflix has put out. Yes, the dialoge can be hamfisted and unsubtle with its messages, but the character dynamics are so good. I know a lot of time was spent sitting down and crying while remembering past traumas, but it just worked for me.

Will:
He was the first to meet up IRL with one of the other sensates (not including Jonas), and has had the most major impact on the overall plot. I find his backstory to be the least compelling, and he seems like he brings the least to the table in terms of specialization. He is the generalist that was the medium for other's heroics.

Nomi:
She and Amanita are great together and it'll be interesting to see how the cluster affects their relationship. She may be another magical hacker but at least they made her use some hardware to get stuff done instead of just a laptop.

Riley:
"Privileged, but not lucky." She is was the second damsel in distress for the show, but she ultimately saved the day (offscreen). Things were very bleak from her perspective, but I still enjoyed her journey. That concert scene was graphic and beautiful at the same time.

Kala:
Kala's story was pretty cliched but I liked her interactions with Wolfgang a lot. She has a very vibrant personality and is quite attractive. I think the company she works for might produce the AIDS medicine that Capheus needs for his mother, so that might tie them together in the future.

Capheus/Van Damme:
Dude is my favorite character. He's incredibly loyal, kind, and brave. I love the way he views life and how much he cares for his mother. I want him to have some more active role in the plot because he is really off doing his own thing for the most part.

Wolfgang:
His loyalty to his friend made me like him more than before he got shot (I'm not a fan of his friend, but that doesn't matter). He's kinda stuck in a life that wouldn't let him take the high road. I'm glad the cluster has a "do whatever it takes" guy.

Sun:
Goddamn she is a badass. Her action scenes were great and I hope she isn't stuck in prison for too much longer. Her brother is a scumbag and I hope he gets what he deserves.

Lito:
Lito, Lito, Lito, Lito...Lito and Herndando...Lito and Hernando and Daniella. They're just the Hot Squad. I kinda can't get over it. I'm glad he got the courage he needed to do the right thing, and his scenes with the others in the cluster were some of my favorites. But for real, Lito and Hernando need to be a thing for the rest of the 5 seasons.

So, while I do like it better, it's not enough. It's more like on "I like this show on USA" levels.

But the dynamic of Will and Nomi becoming the ipso facto leaders of the group is great. I hope that continues.

ivysaur12

Banned
So, while I do like it better, it's not enough. It's more like on "I like this show on USA" levels.

But the dynamic of Will and Nomi becoming the ipso facto leaders of the group is great. I hope that continues.

That's sort of where I am. The first two episodes were legit bad, it's better than it was, but the dialog is still so ridiculous that it's been hard for me to really get over that. I'm not really into any of the characters besides Will, Nomi, or Lito, so.

I'm happy to see a lot more positive responses in here. I really think this show just has an intrinsic quality that makes you fall in love with it, despite its flaws.

RE: Nomi

I love how she went from damsel in distress to the most active participant in taking down the badguys. Seeing her take back her life was really awesome.

Do you mean within the cluster or the shadowy evil organization?

Within the cluster. I really like the dynamic between the two who I assume are the main characters.

I'm pretty sure the bad guys will get fleshed out more. I'm pretty sure this season is just all set up.

Within the cluster. I really like the dynamic between the two who I assume are the main characters.

I'm pretty sure the bad guys will get fleshed out more. I'm pretty sure this season is just all set up.
There's no "you're our leader now" type scenes, but I think you'll be pleased with how the season ends in that regard.

Terrell

We have an idea that Bloodline is not doing great. It will probably not win any Emmys, or even get nominated. Yet it'll still most likely run 4-5 seasons with the hope that, overtime, it'll become a product that the audience will find.

But Bloodline was so good! This makes me glad that Netflix exists, to save good shows from people with terrible taste like we see on the networks.

I really hope the "leadership" gets cemented in season two.

It won't. But that's kinda the point, I think. They're all skilled in their own ways, so it makes sense that there's not an alpha-beta dynamic.
It happened to be who it was this season purely because of situational proximity (read: the ones who got to interact with Jonas and obtained the most information).

tauroxd

I loved the show! It wasn't perfect, sure, but it was amazing and all that well desing production with shooting all over the world and the time zones was incredible!

And I really had a hard time with everybody speaking english, I was mas at it, actually, but
they kind of adress it telling that they are actualling all speaking their native language
and what Duckroll says makes sense!

Zalasta

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that
Will and to some extent Riley had exhibited sensate ability when they were younger. None of the others seemed to have developed it until after what happened to Angelica. In fact, what did Jonas meant when he said Angelica gave birth to them?

Finished tonight. I think I enjoyed it overall. Maybe. The inorganic dialogue wasn't great, but didn't bother me that much. I'm not thrilled with the overall arc, mainly: (whole season 1 spoilers follow)

Did we ever get a firm explanation for the Whisper guy's motivations? I'm never a big fan of the shadowy villain syndicate who wants to kill super heroes because they're different storyline (read the excellent book Jumper then watch the horrible film with new made up evildoers for the most egregious example ever).

Sitting here thinking about it - all of the worst scenes involved the Whisper Man's plot. Nomi's implausible mother-aided abduction, and her CSI-style hacking the world later in the season (turn right here!). Riley's sudden (unshown to us) driving skills.

While we don't know explicitly much about Whisper, I think it's implied that
he is a sensate himself. The fact that he can control a vegetative Neil Bolger meant he was either in a cluster with him (which may be unlikely since I thought everyone in the same cluster is the same age, and he seems much older), or he has been doing experiments on members of other clusters to achieve that kind of control. Regardless, the thing we are not clear on is why he turned against his own people, so to speak. And supposedly Jonas and Angelica used to work for him so there is a lot of back story there that hasn't been told.

As for your other complaints, I don't quite understand where you got the idea that Riley can't drive. Nomi is that one that said she doesn't know how, but I don't remember Riley making the same claim.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that
Will and to some extent Riley had exhibited sensate ability when they were younger. None of the others seemed to have developed it until after what happened to Angelica. In fact, what did Jonas meant when he said Angelica gave birth to them?

While we don't know explicitly much about Whisper, I think it's implied that he is a sensate himself. The fact that he can control a vegetative Neil Bolger meant he was either in a cluster with him (which may be unlikely since I thought everyone in the same cluster is the same age, and he seems much older), or he has been doing experiments on members of other clusters to achieve that kind of control. Regardless, the thing we are not clear on is why he turned against his own people, so to speak.

It's very likely Capheus also exhibited sensate abilities when he was younger. That's what the scene where the tribe was telling his mother to get rid of him implied to me.

I'm pretty sure that
Whispers was able to control Bolger because of the surgery.

Terrell

It's very likely Capheus also exhibited sensate abilities when he was younger. That's what the scene where the tribe was telling his mother to get rid of him implied to me.

I'm pretty sure that
Whispers was able to control Bolger because of the surgery.

I interpret the situation that way, yes, Whispers is a sensate, he seems likely to be one of the very first or oldest surviving sensates, and the surgery done to other sensates is intended to remove the subject's free will but not their motor functions and essentially make puppets out of them for his exclusive use via prior eye contact with the subject.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Got through 7 episodes and I'm enjoying it overall. Some of the dialogue could've used another pass or two, particularly with the Nomi/Amanita storyline. So many of their lines are just, ugh. Too self-aware, too 'cool', too hyper-emotional for my tastes.

Also, you guys had me expecting way more from that scene in Ep 6.

Say what you will about the Wachowski's, but they have their heart in the right place.
They're nothing if not earnest, that's for damn sure.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm very surprised they only sent out the first 3 episodes to critics. They are... very bad compared to what comes later. The
karaoke
scene in 104 was the first real scene that felt honest to the premise. Same with 105.

The Nomi/Armanita stuff is really poorly written, though. They're both very good actors (the whole main cast is), but, man. That dialog.

I'm about to start the seventh episode...

Someone please tell me it gets better.

When this show works, it's brilliant... but it works so damn rarely.

Is there supposed to be an overarching bad guy?
we haven't seen anything of the people who were trying to capture Angelica... is Nomis doctor working for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom