• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished it this evening. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Really liked the slow burn pacing and I'm looking forward to the second season.

Just watched episode 9, will watch the rest tomorrow.

As said before, this show has serious, glaring flaws but its passion is contagious. I'm getting increasingly obsessed with it.

I don't think Sense8's opening is all that different from House of Cards' to be honest. And I love HoC's opening but I don't watch it EVERY time... I see it in the first episode of the pack and then skip the rest.

I do like the opening music in Sense8, it gets you pumped up
for the more sci-fi episodes in the second half
, but I wish it had a more discernible melody like HoC's...

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm on episode 8, and, like, what exactly was Nomi's
crime? Like, what do the police think she did? I'm a little confused.

EDIT: looool the ending to that episode. I mean, COME ON.

Terrell

Her condition was labeled by her physician as requiring mandatory confinement due to it leading to schizophrenia and psychopathy. Psychopaths who evade physician-mandated surveilliance/confinement are hunted by the police as a danger to society.

duckroll

They could be investigating the doctor's murder and break in, along with his phone getting hacked. But honestly, it doesn't really matter since Whispers was with them. We already know that the bad guys have influence with the feds, after the Jonas stuff.

Nafai1123

Banned

She's a hacker with a record and a diagnosed brain condition for which she was mandatorily institutionalized. She escapes, assaults guards/police along the way. I'm sure the media plays her up as a psychotic cyber terrorist.

Morgoth

Banned
I finished episode 3 and am really liking it. I am starting to like the Wachoskis. I hated the Matrix Trilogy and speed racer but loved Cloud atlas and Jupiter Ascending( I know..). I hope studios haven't given up on them.

ivysaur12

Banned
Episode 9:
So NotElfLady was in another cluster, and she worked for WhispersCo, and saw that Riley had a DNA sequence for Sense8ness, and hid her file and told her she was hexed? Am I reading that right? Was Riley's mom in NotElfLady's cluster?

KarmaCow

Episode 9:
So NotElfLady was in another cluster, and she worked for WhispersCo, and saw that Riley had a DNA sequence for Sense8ness, and hid her file and told her she was hexed? Am I reading that right? Was Riley's mom in NotElfLady's cluster?

BPO/Whisper's genetic testing headquarters are in Iceland, it was a roundabout, clumsy way scare Riley into running away. I don't think Riley's mother was a sensate, otherwise there would be no point in saying her daughter is hexed rather than telling them the truth to keep Riley away from BPO.

duckroll

BPO/Whisper's genetic testing headquarters are in Iceland, it was a roundabout, clumsy way scare Riley into running away. I don't think Riley's mother was a sensate, otherwise there would be no point in saying her daughter is hexed rather than telling them the truth to keep Riley away from BPO.

(Full Series Spoilers)
Riley's mother has to be a sensate, but she probably wasn't an active one with an awakened cluster. Sayid Jonas made it pretty clear in his conversation with Will that sensates are a different strain of humanity, and in Sun's dream vision of her mother, she says that sensates are "the future". It definitely seems genetic.

ivysaur12

Banned

This part of the mythology isn't landing as well as a lot of other things in the show.

Kaladin

This show might be my favorite Netflix original, seriously amazing and original story here.

A+

I love how the characters may start out as cliches and stereotypes, but by the end they're far from it.

Are there flaws? Sure....but this show is so fun you hardly notice them a few episodes in. By the end of the series, I feel like they worked everything out.

Now where is my season 2?

Van Damme always comes back.

duckroll

For comparison, Daredevil season 2 was confirmed less than 2 weeks after it was released.

So I expect that Netflix will probably confirm the next season for Sense8 within this month.

Wag

I didn't think it was all that good. I wouldn't be too disappointed if it wasn't renewed.

ivysaur12

Banned
Episode 110:
whyyyyyyyy I mean I get it thematically but whyyyyyyyyyyy

Peak Wachowski self indulgence right here.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Haha, episode 10 was pretty crazy and fun.

It's bugging me that Kristján Kristjánsson seems so familiar to me, despite my not believing I've ever seen him before, nor heard his music.

Mifune

Mehmber
That chase scene in episode 8 was awesome. Thriller elements in this episode were pretty thrilling, as opposed to episode 7, where they felt really awkward.

Sad that I only have four eps left. It's been a fun ride.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hmm.

Just finished. A really solid finale after sort of a disappointing middle section of the show. Obviously the ambition is sky-high and I don't think anyone would say the execution was perfect, but those two truths of the show always seemed at war. It's also so different than any other show I've ever watched, that it sort of required a different TV vocabulary. I wouldn't say this is... better. Or even worse. It just is.

I straight up don't think the conspiracy works. I think the (full series spoilers)
Mr. Whispers stuff is downright stupid and the world building was simultaneously not fleshed out, and maybe too fleshed out? with him. The world expanded way too fast for what still were very small stories, to the show's detriment.

And a lot about it worked, especially in the final two episodes. Though, I'm not really feeling how each character sort of feels like another "skin" (We need a fighter? Sun!) -- the best parts of the show were just people talking.

Another annoying part of the final few episodes were that the small stories that worked in the sphere of each character were overlooked for the series central mythology. That's sort of fine, but
Riley and Will aren't really the best characters on the show, so it'd be different if it were, say, Sun or Lito.

Still a fascinating, bizarre, challenging, and overall entertaining season of TV. I'll probably post more on its lofty thematic goals later when I have time to process everything, but that was a solid B season. In for a season 2 that I hope fixes a lot of the problems with season 1. And hey, it'd be nice for the Wachowskis to get a sequel.

duckroll

Some interesting comments about their overall plan for the show from JMS in different interviews:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/se...raczynski-interview-netflix-season-2-20150605
In your head, is there a Season 2?

Before we started this, we knew we wanted to do a prolonged story. I love five-year arcs, so we have a five-year arc worked out for this thing. We know what all of the seasons are going to be. Obviously, Netflix hasn't said yes or no yet to a second season, but we have 30 pages of notes on the second season and where the structure would be. So we know where the story's going to go, down the road.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-prin...s-viewers-have-evolved-to-be-ready-for-sense8
HitFix: As last question how are you guys viewing this season as fitting into a long-term strategy? Is this also a five-season plan in your mind?

J. Michael Straczynski: Definitely. As we were develping the first season, I’m a structuring nut. I like to know where I'm going at all times. So consequently there were things in the first season we wanted to do I would say, "Okay, we’re going to do this now. Where is that going to take us? Where is that going to go in year two? How are we going to end the show?" And we ended up looking at a rough five-year structure with year one being kind of the origin story for our characters. And we know year two. I put together a 30-page document that has all the key points we want to hit for year two. They haven’t given us the go-ahead yet but when they do, we’re ready to hit the ground running. So that’s all ready to go. And with luck we’ll do five years. One never knows. That’s certainly the plan.

https://nerdist.com/exclusive-j-michael-straczynski-prepares-us-for-his-netflix-series-sense8/
N: Going back to Sense8… How much have you planned out? Do you have a loose multi-year plan? The characters don’t really meet each other in person this season, so there’s already the expectation we’ll see a second season in which they’ll meet.

JMS:
Yeah, the first season is kind of like the origin story, for lack of a better word. As we were working out the first season in detail we all kept going back to “Where does this lead in year 2?” and gradually put together a document that is pretty extensive about what would happen in year 2. Obviously Netflix has not made that determination yet. But when and if they do, we have everything ready to go to start writing those scripts for the next season; and we have a loose structure for years 3, 4, and 5. And we know the last episode we’d end on. So, coming from Babylon 5, I need to know where I’m going, I need to know the last scene before I can write the first scene. We definitely have that in place for Sense8.

Sober

Alright then, went in deep for the first 3 episodes. More later. Rather enjoyed what I saw. Characters are really fun and enjoyable to watch, though it takes a bit of time to get up to speed. Last big sequence of that episode is pretty promising if that's where the show sort of wants to go, but mostly hoping they stay a little more grounded. Mythology isn't really touched on for now which is fine I guess.

ivysaur12

Banned

Also, there has to be more for
Daryl Hannah to do, because I don't believe they'd sign her on as a series regular for one scene in 101 and then 2 other non-speaking pops in the season.

duckroll

Also, there has to be more for
Daryl Hannah to do, because I don't believe they'd sign her on as a series regular for one scene in 101 and then 2 other non-speaking pops in the season.

(Full season spoilers)
I think at some point they probably have a plan for massive flashbacks for Sayid Jonas, Angelica, and how their cluster fell apart. It seems extremely important mythology-wise, since it directly leads to the birth of this cluster we've been following, and they have a connection with Whispers and BPO. It seems pretty obvious I think.

I just wish Whispers wasn't such a corny villain with such a cheeseball "power". He looks like Colonel Sanders, and his superpower is to be able to "connect" with any sensate after they LOOK HIM IN THE EYES. It's Fifth Element tier cheese. Lol.

When they eventually eventually expand the larger mythology, I really hope there are more interesting opposing forces in the mythos. Maybe they can link together the "normal" baddies too. Sun's brother... the drug creep who was into Riley in London... the Superpower leader in Nairobi... they were all far more compelling "villains" than Whispers. :p

ivysaur12

Banned
(Full season spoilers)
I think at some point they probably have a plan for massive flashbacks for Sayid Jonas, Angelica, and how their cluster fell apart. It seems extremely important mythology-wise, since it directly leads to the birth of this cluster we've been following, and they have a connection with Whispers and BPO. It seems pretty obvious I think.

I just wish Whispers wasn't such a corny villain with such a cheeseball "power". He looks like Colonel Sanders, and his superpower is to be able to "connect" with any sensate after they LOOK HIM IN THE EYES. It's Fifth Element tier cheese. Lol.

When they eventually eventually expand the larger mythology, I really hope there are more interesting opposing forces in the mythos. Maybe they can link together the "normal" baddies too. Sun's brother... the drug creep who was into Riley in London... the Superpower leader in Nairobi... they were all far more compelling "villains" than Whispers. :p

Also that name. "Angelica called him Whispers" Well maybe she shouldn't have!

Second-rate Donald Sutherland

Geido

(Full season spoilers)

Any Sensate is able to connect with any other Sensate after they lock eyes right?

As a bad guy, I didn't think he was cheesy because of this. He can do everything the others can do, only the way he uses is it fucked up.

If you look at Silar from heroes for example, the dude actually had a power that was evil in itself. He couldn't use it without doing horrible things. Whispers makes an actual choice to use a neutral thing for 'evil'.

Zalasta

It's a bit ironic (but maybe intentional?) that the main characters which are the driving force for framing the overall season narrative are also the two weakest characters - Will and Riley. It is clear from the way they developed the story arcs that the Will/Riley story arc is the main story arc for the season. But at the same time they're both extremely thin characters and such stereotypical hero/heroine characters that it just feels totally uninteresting watching them. He's the generic nice guy white cop who believes he can make a difference, with a bit too much of a hero driven personality. She's the meek cute girl who has the most unfortunate luck ever, and runs from everything because she believes she is to blame for what happens to others around her. They meet, they fall in love, she gets captured, he rescues her, then he saves her from herself by making her save him. Zzzzzzz?

I think it is intentional. Both Will and Riley's back stories are tied to the main arc (Will's connection to Sarah and Riley's encounter with Yrsa), which in a way acted as a contraint on their current story. By trying to pull double duties both suffered as a result, especially since you found the main arc to be lacking. Everyone else didn't have that burden, so their own narratives have to be able to stand on their own. In that sense they were able to tell their stories more fully and they feel more realistic to us . While Will and Riley fell into those stereotypes you've described because their characters were chosen for those roles. As I recall, they were also the only ones in the cluster to have seen Angelica before her death. Which come to think of it might have some significance since they were brought together in the beginning, and by the end they are together in person. Oh, and I may be reading way too much into this but would it possible that every birth of a cluster involves one male and one female member of that cluster?

duckroll

Any Sensate is able to connect with any other Sensate after they lock eyes right?

As a bad guy, I didn't think he was cheesy because of this. He can do everything the others can do, only the way he uses is it fucked up.

If you look at Silar from heroes for example, the dude actually had a power that was evil in itself. He couldn't use it without doing horrible things. Whispers makes an actual choice to use a neutral thing for 'evil'.

Damn. I didn't even think of that. I feel pretty dumb.
Now that I think about it, that explains why Jonas had to visit both Nomi and Will in person before he could start talking to them via visitation. I honestly thought that the ability to invade a cluster through sight was something unique to Whispers, especially since they played it up in Will's flashback with "don't let him see you, that's how he got me". >_<

Is there any straigh relationships in this series too?
And some shaved vagina shots?

Legit question. I'm interested in the series.

Santiako

Just finished the last episode. I really loved the series. Most of the characters are great, the best being Lito (I knew the actor from his roles in Spain, and I loved how everything in his life was very over the top telenovela-style), Sun (she plays the calm badass really well), and Capheus (I love the actor, he was the only one that was amazed everytime he visited someone).

With all the shooting around in the world, the show must be expensive as fuck to make, I hope we get a series 2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The show really feels like a better version of Touch/Flashforward, both with the production values and with having a decent ensemble cast. The science fiction elements are what they are, but I trust JMS enough to not dick me around like other showrunners from the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom