• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I would have liked it a lot more if they spoke in their native language.

They are all in reality speaking their native languages. They only all speak English because this production was created for a primarily English-speaking audience. Keep watching—the characters become surprised that they can understand one another, and sometimes they do speak in their native tongue, depending on whose perspective is being shown.

tim.mbp

Really liked it. The conspiracy stuff was pretty flat though. Maybe if there was some more understanding of their motivation it would have worked better for me.

That
orgy
scene in episode 6 was hot.

On paper it should be something that I would find hot, but... I found it kinda gross.

Man this show would be so much better if these people acted like real people. "Oh dude I've never been to London" really that's what you're taking away from this? Not that you're fucking the next step in humanities evolution or something? Come on people.

The sex is too much to. I've literally never said that about any show ever but its like I get it you want to usurp Game of Thrones.

I want to keep watching though because I like the characters and the premise. Its just so stereotypical sometimes. Asian chick does tai chi, black guy is African African, white guy with a heart of gold, Wolfgang is exactly how you would expect someone named Wolfgang to be.

MvF70Jo.jpg
Wolfgangs are always ready to pop a cap in your ass.

Terrell

Man this show would be so much better if these people acted like real people. "Oh dude I've never been to London" really that's what you're taking away from this? Not that you're fucking the next step in humanities evolution or something? Come on people.

Suspension of disbelief. Most people, when hearing and seeing things that don't exist in their physical presence, would completely lose their shit and go to their doctor for the quickest prescription of anti-psychotics to treat their schizophrenia. Drugs taken until they are catatonic, THE END. Not exactly a great story.

And really, at that point, they barely understand what they are, so what the hell do you expect them to say beyond small-talk?

duckroll

So for season 2
how does Will break his connection with Whispers?

He can't, but they can work around it. As long as he's unconscious on route, Whispers will have no way of knowing exactly where he is, other than observing his surroundings. If Will becomes a sort of remote operator in a secluded location, and he visits the other sensates where they are instead of them visiting him, Whispers can't get to him.

Yeah, but Will basically can't ever know any of their plans or their locations, and everybody has to be confident enough in their abilities not to accidentally reveal it to him. That seems super, duper difficult. So maybe the next objective is to capture Whisper.

KarmaCow

Yeah, but Will basically can't ever know any of their plans or their locations, and everybody has to be confident enough in their abilities not to accidentally reveal it to him. That seems super, duper difficult. So maybe the next objective is to capture Whisper.

Full series spoilers
Well I don't think Whispers can read his mind, just experience Will's surroundings so he can't physically talk to any of the other sensate or plan on his own.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Full series spoilers
Well I don't think Whispers can read his mind, just experience Will's surroundings so he can't physically talk to any of the other sensate or plan on his own.

yeah I think this is how it works because in the first episode before the whisper locked eyes with jonah they were both there with Angelica but they couldnt interact

yeah I think this is how it works because in the first episode before the whisper locked eyes with jonah they were both there with Angelica but they couldnt interact
*Series Spoilers*

Didn't Jonas at one time say that any sensate that locks eyes with another can visit them? In that case, shouldn't Will be able to visit Whispers the same way he does Jonas?

My wife and I are six episodes through so far. I am enjoying it and I like the concept, but holy shit, the plot is taking forever to go anywhere. I mean, I don't mind a slow burn, but so far they've done literally nothing with the shared personality aspect aside from
a couple of fight scenes
, and
Riley and Will swapping phone numbers
. Every conversation Nomi and Neets has is the same "I was so lost before I found you", "I never knew I could love anyone this much", "But maybe I really am going crazy", "You've got a beautiful mind and I love you so much" etc etc. Honestly, the only characters/scenario I particularly like so far is Tino, but I think that's because everyone else is so dry and dour (except maybe Capheus who's pretty likeable too).

KarmaCow

*Series Spoilers*

Didn't Jonas at one time say that any sensate that locks eyes with another can visit them? In that case, shouldn't Will be able to visit Whispers the same way he does Jonas?

I'm guessing this comes into play but Whispers seems more in control of his abilities and I'm guessing he can block Will right now.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
*Series Spoilers*

Ooh i guess so
will probably be a plot line next season where he has to train that kind of ability
I'm expecting a harry potter kind of thing where voldermort managed to fool harry into seeing stuff or something along those lines

Zalasta

Asian chick does tai chi, black guy is African African, white guy with a heart of gold, Wolfgang is exactly how you would expect someone named Wolfgang to be.

Honestly, I am so tired of the generalizations people keep making when they criticize the characters as being stereotypes. I can't speak about the other cultures represented in the show, but as a Chinese, I think I can say with some accuracy that Sun is anything but the typical Korean/Asian woman. She is neither demure nor subservient, in fact, she stands up for herself (and for others). There seems to be a whole back story about her training and underground fighting. Just because she does tai chi, an activity that a lot of Asians partake in, makes her automatically a stereotype? What's next, what if she drinks tea and uses chopsticks? Seriously, make an effort to actually analyze a character before you make such a comment.

Dali

Honestly, I am so tired of the generalizations people keep making when they criticize the characters as being stereotypes. I can't speak about the other cultures represented in the show, but as a Chinese, I think I can say with some accuracy that Sun is anything but the typical Korean/Asian woman. She is neither demure nor subservient, in fact, she stands up for herself (and for others). There seems to be a whole back story about her training and underground fighting. Just because she does tai chi, an activity that a lot of Asians partake in, makes her automatically a stereotype? What's next, what if she drinks tea and uses chopsticks? Seriously, make an effort to actually analyze a character before you make such a comment.
As far as media goes Asian person being a worn out trope is a valid crit. Its like black person being the heavy/demolition person in video games.

Maybe it's because my two kids were c-section but I found that scene and it's impication kinda offensive. Not one of the others was even born in a hospital, except for Nomi. They show her being born by c-section with drugs being administered and it seems to imply that this is a horrible thing and indicative of what a terrible unempathetic mother she is. Left a bad taste in my mouth, especially for such a non-judgmental show

This is NOT the reason she was upset. It's because the memory of her birth reminds her of how horrible her mother was/is (
basically left her to die at the crazy hospital
), and her struggle to live as a boy during her early childhood.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is NOT the reason she was upset. It's because the memory of her birth reminds her of how horrible her mother was/is (
basically left her to die at the crazy hospital
), and her struggle to live as a boy during her early childhood.
If this was the intention it was very poorly executed as the birth was so glaringly contrasted with the others. Nomi's reason for reacting is beside the point anyway, the one sterile clinical easy hospital birth being to the horrible mother who fails to form a proper emotional connection to her child is still blatantly trying to send a message. It was hamfisted and judgmental, the latter of which I was surprised to see in this show.

3phemeral

Just finished it. I'd say it's a 3.5/4 out of 5 stars from me. Can get cheesy at times but the other things I happen to like are equally cheesy. I'm a sucker for those "You're in trouble and I know just what to do" and "We can do this together, no matter what" kinds of dramatic developments. It borderlines on almost too hammy, but the characters really pull together the team aspect well enough for me to become emotionally involved.

One thing I want to see explored is that they all seem to have an unconditional level of support for each other, regardless of this situation. I want to know if how independent the other is when they decide to get someone out of trouble. Are they able to operate morally independently from one another or do they have the same sense of situational understanding?; that they don't question who they're connected with currently and do whatever is necessary to help (like killing someone)?

Mifune

Mehmber
I want to keep watching though because I like the characters and the premise. Its just so stereotypical sometimes. Asian chick does tai chi, black guy is African African, white guy with a heart of gold, Wolfgang is exactly how you would expect someone named Wolfgang to be.

This is pretty reductive. Yes, there are familiar elements to the character stories, but there are plenty of unfamiliar elements as well. One of the great things about the character building is the way they sometimes take what seems like a stereotype and then search for the emotional truth in that type, or somehow twist that cliche into something new.

rexor0717

Just finished it. I'd say it's a 3.5/4 out of 5 stars from me. Can get cheesy at times but the other things I happen to like are equally cheesy. I'm a sucker for those "You're in trouble and I know just what to do" and "We can do this together, no matter what" kinds of dramatic developments. It borderlines on almost too hammy, but the characters really pull together the team aspect well enough for me to become emotionally involved.

One thing I want to see explored is that they all seem to have an unconditional level of support for each other, regardless of this situation. I want to know if how independent the other is when they decide to get someone out of trouble. Are they able to operate morally independently from one another or do they have the same sense of situational understanding?; that they don't question who they're connected with currently and do whatever is necessary to help (like killing someone)?

Its probably their emotional connection that lets them just unconditionally support. It'd be like going against your self-interest when you're part of a greater self. Wolfgang is operating on a different moral level than the others, but he has their backs regardless.

Okay, I agree with a lot of the other stereotypes you listed, but... how exactly is an African guy being black (or vice versa?) a "stereotype" exactly? o_O

Lol.

Ahhh that wasn't a stereotype I was just tired lol. But I hate when the only black person is African that's just a personal pet peeve. It realllly just reminds me of how black people were in Lost and Heroes. African guy is good but the American black guy sucks.

Shades of that but you're right I was off base.

The show is really picking up now but the season is almost over lol. If they actually focus on the overarching story the next season will be totally different though.

Ricker

Watched the first episode last evening,quickly lurking through all the posts,I guess I will keep watching even though I thought the first episode was average...I will try and watch 2 or 3 in a row tonight.

I actually enjoyed ''The Whispers'' show more after watching the first episode also last evening.

HoodWinked

i finished it and parts of it are excruciating while other parts so well done. it feels uneven to me and there are just too many plot holes and conveniences. would take a lot for me to give it another shot if its renewed.

finowns

Really enjoy the individual story lines, except the cop and the lesbian couple. Wolfgang/Conan, Lito (sp?), and Sun are my people.

Conan > Everyone.

Nosgotham

I really really liked this season. The thing that surprised me most was my connection to the characters. I found my self really caring about all of them and actively hoping they wouldn't die.

Can't wait to see what's in store for season 2

Episode 10
Lito
he's slow mo entrance and its cliche over the top. LOL so good. Lito's birth and the over-acting. fits the character lol
Random sex scene out of nowhere. LOL
this show has its highs and lows

I could careless about Lana Wachowki's I mean Nomi character

wamberz1

Just finished It, Loved the show. Best thing Netflix has put out yet IMO. Someone told me to watch this since I loved cloud atlas, and boy where they right. Maybe it's because I don't really notice this kind of thing but i thought the acting was fine. Can't wait for season 2 (and there better be a season 2)

3phemeral

Its probably their emotional connection that lets them just unconditionally support. It'd be like going against your self-interest when you're part of a greater self. Wolfgang is operating on a different moral level than the others, but he has their backs regardless.

Yeah, that's what I figure.
I think what helps is none of the sensates in this cluster can be considered truly evil, they all have some situation which justifies their actions.
I'm looking forward to how the logic works and how they explain it.

So far, the character interactions I've enjoyed the most are:

Sun + Caph
Nomi + Will
Wolfgang + Lito

Having the whole season available from the jump is a blessing and a curse.

And where does Google pull their info from?

0If2pHL.jpg

"Mumbai Pharmacist"

Man, the first episode was a mess. Should I give it another chance?

It's a SLOOOOOOWWWWWW burn show, it too a while but I started to really like it. If you view the show serially vice epsodically then it is far more enjoyable. You have to keep in mind they use the first season to introduce 8 main characters.

Daredevil is a more kinetic romp if you want more action.

3phemeral

Stick with it until episode 3 or 4. There are a lot of characters they need to cover on top of explaining the sensate logic, so it's going to take time to not feel lost and also be attached. Episode 3 got me to keep watching because I was still unsure about it until then.

I almost quit after the first ep. By episode 3 I was totally hooked and binged over 2 days. My favorite netflix original so far and some of the most fun I've had all year for tv. It really does feel like a 12 hour long movie. By the end I was caring about every character and things came together in some awesome ways. If by 3 or 4 you aren't feeling it I'd say quit, but I wouldn't judge solely from the awkward 1st ep.

Shiggy

First episode was pretty much non-eventful. Now on episode 9. Quite good. I still think they could've cut down on the sex scenes - yeah, it's all great to be for that and especially have a show that stands for the rights of homosexuals, but after a while it's enough to show people kissing or fucking.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Just finished episode 8. I had a big grin when we finally got a true
multi-Sens8 talent
action scene. Maybe I'm just in the mood for something like this these days but I am really loving the vibe of this show. It feels like the best show based on a nonexistent comic book ever.

I wish this show cut out a bit of relationship drama, sex, etc and got to the meat of the show a little earlier. Because the last 2 episodes fucking rocked. I really wonder what season 2 will be like though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom