• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched two episodes before I became bored to the point of tears. The trailers painted it out to be a really interesting new series, but alas it's not (IMO).
Try watching two more episodes before calling it quits. The general consensus is that by episode 4 you'll have a better idea of if the show is for you or not.

I'd say the 4th episode is what really sold me on the concept of the show, but if the 3rd episode doesn't make you excited to see the next, then it's probably not a show for you.

Just finished. Holy shit did I enjoy that! Was kinda meh for the first ep but then I slowly got hooked and couldn't stop. Final 3 episodes were pretty incredible. Came in with really low expectations but those were exceeded.

I'd gladly give this a 9/10 and would rate it as the best netflix original I've seen yet. I want to see more tho!

Best moments for me....

Action scenes in Nairobi towards the end were bad-ass.
Lito kissing the bartender and then the scene with him beating up that one shithead.
That rocket launcher shot.
Everyone coming into play in the final episode infiltration.

I had a lot of fun with this show.

kingkitty

I really like this show. Some of the dialogue is really bad. But man, this show is so weird, I couldn't stop watching it.

I hope there's a Season 2 but...I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get renewed.

Just finished it and I really liked it. After the first couple of episodes I was about to give up on it as I felt really bored but I kept on going and it payed off... at least for me. It's not perfect by any means but it did stir a lot of emotions and made me appreciate the relationships between the sensates.

Definitely looking forward to season 2.

Sober

Finished up the last set of episodes. Gonna stew on it a bit more but not really a lot changed since the middle episodes for me except a few things. Little up and down about some of the things in the finale.

Dany

Banned
I really like this show. Some of the dialogue is really bad. But man, this show is so weird, I couldn't stop watching it.

I hope there's a Season 2 but...I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get renewed.

it will.

wachowskies are a name, ratings don't matter.

Finished season 1 a couple of days ago. There are a lot of bad dialogue, questionable acting and plot develops very weird, a little bit in the beginning, a little bit in the middle and at the end of the season, but between that - nothing.
But despite that, i enjoyed the show. It was interesting to watch and it wasn't slow or boring.
It's hard to explain but there is something in this show that pulls you in.
Characters rankings
Riley > Wolfgang > Lito > everyone else.
That final scene was very good.
I hope the show will be renewed for season 2.

3 episodes in and I am enjoying it. It's schlocky but I'm not picky when it comes to sci-fi.
Call me crazy but I am enjoying it more than Daredevil.

Gorger

I am two episodes in, not blown away or anything, but kinda intrigued.

But am I the only one annoyed that they're all speaking in English accents even though they are spread all over the world in different countries where they have no reason to be speaking English? It's really confusing and takes away from immersion. I think I would have liked it a lot more if they spoke in their native language.

I am two episodes in, not blown away or anything, but kinda intrigued.

But am I the only one annoyed that they're all speaking in English accents even though they are spread all over the world in different countries where they have no reason to be speaking English? It's really confusing and takes away from immersion. I think I would have liked it a lot more if they spoke in their native language.
There's a reason for this. It's never directly explained but if you keep watching it'll be clear.

Why? It's a stylistic choice, not a plot point.

It's a decision they made to suit the structure of the show.

Well if you mean "because they're all connected" then OK, that obviously makes sense. I thought you meant something gets "revealed" concerning the language in a later episode.

Well if you mean "because they're all connected" then OK, that obviously makes sense. I thought you meant something gets "revealed" concerning the language in a later episode.
No, as I said it has nothing to do with the plot. It's a way of facilitating the dialogue to fit the premise of the show.

3phemeral

They also will occasionally revert to speaking their own language to reinforce that they're technically not speaking English. I mean, I understand why you'd want to, but considering how many different languages they'd have to cover, it'd probably be a script-writing nightmare. I know other shows have handled this by asking the actors to translate their own dialogue, but that's a lot of work and I'd rather watch the actors rather than read subtitles for 90 percent of the show.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Couldn't make it through the first episode.

Got about 20 or so minutes through and then came the scene with the actor guy practicing, terrible.

Couldn't make it through the first episode.

Got about 20 or so minutes through and then came the scene with the actor guy practicing, terrible.
That's the best part of the first episode! Lito's storyline is all about lampooning those tropes.

Anyway, if you decide to try again, watch to episode 4 before making a decision. (I feel like this should be put in the OT title by now, it's been said so much.)

You know what bothered me the most about the initial episodes? The fake interviewer piling it on during the Lito interviews. She was hamming it up so much that I thought it was a scene from one of Lito's movies or telenovelas.

duckroll

You know what bothered me the most about the initial episodes? The fake interviewer piling it on during the Lito interviews. She was hamming it up so much that I thought it was a scene from one of Lito's movies or telenovelas.

I actually liked it. I think it's a fairly accurate take on bad entertainment presenters in red carpet interviews from local networks in smaller regions. I've seen stuff like that from MTV Asia, AXN, etc. It's always super awkward to watch because you know the person is trying their best but totally unqualified for the position, but it can be hard to get good people in these jobs depending on the region.

This show seems to have a cool premise but damn is it forced. When (episode 2)
the dude turned out to be gay I could see it coming from so far away and when it happened I rolled my eyes so hard they fell out of my head. I mean damn Netflix I get it.

I can tell they wanted to get people from all walks of life but the diversity of the show seems to get in the way of the narrative. I don't think I've ever said that about a show before. Which is sad because I do love the diversity.

rexor0717

This show seems to have a cool premise but damn is it forced. When (episode 2)
the dude turned out to be gay I could see it coming from so far away and when it happened I rolled my eyes so hard they fell out of my head. I mean damn Netflix I get it.

I can tell they wanted to get people from all walks of life but the diversity of the show seems to get in the way of the narrative. I don't think I've ever said that about a show before. Which is sad because I do love the diversity.

To me the "narrative" gets in the way of telling these peoples stories.

see5harp

Riley is a pretty uninteresting character to me thus far but she is hella attractive. The show is corny. I really dislike the wild swings in tone even if it may make sense in the context of the show (that Bollywood dance routine especially). That said, the 4 Non Blondes sequence was particularly good.

EDIT: The diversity of the cast is one of the best things about the show.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Finally got a chance to watch the last 2 episodes. I really loved the series and there isn't really a character I didn't like. Lito had the best line of the show in Ep 12
"we had sex"
. That scene was hilariously awesome.

The last 2 eps were really good and I'm very much looking forward to them expanding everything in season 2 and beyond. Still a lot of ground to cover.

Oh yeah the Ep 11
Van Damme bus kick to the motorcycle
was ridiculous but also awesome. I had to pause it because I was laughing so hard.

Caelestis

Finished the show. Can't figure out if I like it or not, but I certainly couldn't stop watching it. Wish they would include more stuff on the mythology of what is going on. Lito stuff has been the most fun for me to watch. Hopefully next season they will do more with characters like Sun and the bride. Also, can't help but feel like Nomi's gilfriend will end up being
Van Damme's sister.

Binge-watched the whole season in about a day. It was extremely gripping and I really ended up caring about all of the characters. The general idea is really cool, but the execution in this show is even better.

The pacing is great—I never found myself staring at my phone, which has happened with other shows. In the first few episodes, you might complain that some characters get more screen-time, but I promise you that every single main character shares their backstory and current situation with you.

The show gives off the message that people do generally want to help one another. People of all genders, faiths, and ethnicities share in the same humanity—which you're able to see amazingly unfold through the different characters' interactions while living in different parts of the world. I felt like I was with the characters at times.

It's very human in it's storytelling. Also the intro theme is pretty low-key and moving

Man this show would be so much better if these people acted like real people. "Oh dude I've never been to London" really that's what you're taking away from this? Not that you're fucking the next step in humanities evolution or something? Come on people.

The sex is too much to. I've literally never said that about any show ever but its like I get it you want to usurp Game of Thrones.

I want to keep watching though because I like the characters and the premise. Its just so stereotypical sometimes. Asian chick does tai chi, black guy is African African, white guy with a heart of gold, Wolfgang is exactly how you would expect someone named Wolfgang to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom