• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

Just watched the final GAEA show from 2005, lots of fun stuff here for the promotion's swansong, most notably Mazumi Ozaki vs Sakura Hirota in an awesome comedy match, with Hirota impersonating the original Tiger Mask to finally get the victory over her long-time nemesis, and an excellent main event as Chigusa Nagayo passes the torch, retiring against her student Meiko Satomura. Very stiff, hard-hitting match, and I can't overstate how much I love Scorpion Rising;

ibdaEFQeO2AMCI.gif

Also, Japanese retirement ceremonies are always cool;

ibnjHnKlvoLCHO.gif

If they can keep the iPPV problems away this time (which I hope they can, it's their last chance from me) it should prove to be a good show.

I'm still undecided if I'll buy this one. The card is looking good, but I don't have much faith in ROH's ability to pull it off without a hitch - the real test will be if they can stream a big show like Final Battle with no technical problems. GBH should be a big show, but I'd guess quite a few will stay away after recent technical issues.

I still don't get it. He's strong, but that's about it. None of his moves look good like Brock's did, or have the speed that Goldberg's did, he's not a freak athlete, he isn't interesting to watch, etc. etc. I've seen a million Rybacks in pro entertainment. THE FACT THAT DWAYNE'S IN THE MAIN EVENT AT WRESTLEMANIA AND I'M NOT HE'S CATCHING ON MAKES ME SICK!

His RVD-esque attire is cool, I guess, BUT THAT'S ALL I'M GIVIN' YA.
That's how it starts. Soon you'll say "his theme is kinda catchy, that shao kahn voice is still kinda dumb though," and so on and so on etc.
...Yeah, don't post that stuff here. C'mon now.
This user is on your Ignore List.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
...Yeah, don't post that stuff here. C'mon now.
I apologize.

Here's a new "Kane as a dog" pic that I found.

And here's a weird new Kane/anime pic that I found.

hearing_a_sad_story_by_kanetakerfan701-d5dwkkw.jpg

I'm really considering watching some of this stuff just to find out what the connection is between that stuff and Kane. Why do so many of these fans cross over?

I sincerely apologize for posting this. I'm just genuinely curious if anyone knows what this anime is, and what connection it could have to Kane. I don't apologize for the dog pic, though. That's a cool pic.

strobogo

Banned
I still don't get it. He's strong, but that's about it. None of his moves look good like Brock's did, or have the speed that Goldberg's did, he's not a freak athlete, he isn't interesting to watch, etc. etc. I've seen a million Rybacks in pro entertainment. THE FACT THAT DWAYNE'S IN THE MAIN EVENT AT WRESTLEMANIA AND I'M NOT HE'S CATCHING ON MAKES ME SICK!

His RVD-esque attire is cool, I guess, BUT THAT'S ALL I'M GIVIN' YA.

His RVD hand me downs are the worst part of him. He's pretty much doing what he was in Nexus, just with a different name. The air brushed singlets feel low rent to me. And seem really weird for his character as "BAMF asskicker machine guy". Is it not strange to anyone else that he takes the time to get specialized air brushed singlets? I didn't even know air brushing was still available for anything besides black/white jeans and car hoods.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
How does one even begin to clear that from the ring? You would need a machete to cut through most of it.
Wouldn't it be pretty easy to pull out.

Anyone know where this tradition started? Back when I used to be heavy into Japanese wrestling, I thought it was so cool, but now I'm wondering what the significance of it is?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I can't think of anything that would lead me to pm a mod. Someone making fun of pro wrestling and its fans maybe? Well not really, when Plywood made his MMA OP, I just turned myself into an annoying little shit. Sorry Plywood.
I'm gonna pretend this post never happened and you're going to keep being the best at the things you do.

That's how it starts. Soon you'll say "his theme is kinda catchy, that shao kahn voice is still kinda dumb though," and so on and so on etc.

Ryback CAN win me over, it's not an ever-burning hatred like I feel towards Cena, but I'm just not seeing anything from him right now. If he makes a Michael Elgin style turn towards having entertaining matches, I'll be the first person to jump on the Ryebread train. Until then, fast forward x4.

His RVD hand me downs are the worst part of him. He's pretty much doing what he was in Nexus, just with a different name. The air brushed singlets feel low rent to me. And seem really weird for his character as "BAMF asskicker machine guy". Is it not strange to anyone else that he takes the time to get specialized air brushed singlets? I didn't even know air brushing was still available for anything besides black/white jeans and car hoods.

I think the airbrushed singlets are alright. It's either that or generic black trunks like every meathead in the last 15 years. I'll take RVD: Gears of War Edition over that anyday.

Anyone know where this tradition started? Back when I used to be heavy into Japanese wrestling, I thought it was so cool, but now I'm wondering what the significance of it is?

It's a show of respect. It looks amazing and adds a lot to certain matches/ceremonies. I wish every audience cared about the performers enough to do stuff like that.

I apologize.

Here's a new "Kane as a dog" pic that I found.

And here's a weird new Kane/anime pic that I found.

hearing_a_sad_story_by_kanetakerfan701-d5dwkkw.jpg

I'm really considering watching some of this stuff just to find out what the connection is between that stuff and Kane. Why do so many of these fans cross over?

I sincerely apologize for posting this. I'm just genuinely curious if anyone knows what this anime is, and what connection it could have to Kane. I don't apologize for the dog pic, though. That's a cool pic.
that anime is pretty cool, i think its still on Netflix

Why you gotta ask all these hard questions, yo? I look like Bootaaay? Get outta here.

No idea.

Streamers, soda cups, toilet paper, it's all the same. AT LEAST THE PEOPLE USED TO CARE
There are people who care about WWE now. Crazy people, but they exist.

Some of them post in this thread.

Net_Wrecker said:
It's a show of respect. It looks amazing and adds a lot to certain matches/ceremonies. I wish every audience cared about the performers enough to do stuff like that.

Definitely. They always seem to go to such effort to make sure they have the correct colour streamers for each wrestler, and the results are really cool. No idea as to the origins of it though, just one of those odd idiosyncrasies of Japanese wrestling, like the fans throwing their seat pillows into the ring at Sumo Hall in appreciation of an awesome match, or the strange synchronised jumping thing wrestlers & refs do when someone botches a chain sequence that I've never quite understood.

Wait, people are actually Ryback fans now? Am I missing something? He can't sell, gets winded after a few minutes, can't cut a promo, has a shitty finisher, he's a safety hazard to guys he's in the ring with, and his offense looks bad except when he uses it on guys who weigh 95 pounds.

Wait, people are actually Ryback fans now? Am I missing something? He can't sell, gets winded after a few minutes, can't cut a promo, has a shitty finisher, he's a safety hazard to guys he's in the ring with, and his offense looks bad except when he uses it on guys who weigh 95 pounds.
Pro wrestling is more than a dude's workrate and safety to his coworkers.

Snaku

Banned

I think the Subway skit won gaf over.

yeah i dont care for him

I think the Subway skit won gaf over.

it did for me but i still dont like him

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Can't find anything about the origins of the streamers. Ultimately, I'm gonna have to go with; because it looks cool.

And that's a real fun match! Sasuke is awesome. Love that handpring plancha at 16:20.
Good enough reason for me.

And yeah, FMW produced some of the best matches of the 90's, but ultimately got little recognition. Hayabusa literally sacrificed his body for that company.

Kaladin

RAW_1008_Photo_088.jpg

We need a gif of this, but this should work for now.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
When Bourne overcomes his weed addiction make him a tag team with Tyson Kidd.

Have Rey/Cara, Primo/Epico and Bourne/Kidd tag match each other infinitely.

edit: Also get Hunico in there with someone.

Hah, the lack of wrasslin' knowledge is staggering.

The use of streamers dates back to the past where Japanese festivals would have the locals shower an individual representing a God with streamers as a blessing ritual so it didn't bring forth calamity and.....okay no one's buying this right?

SoulPlaya

more money than God

The use of streamers dates back to the past where Japanese festivals would have the locals shower an individual representing a God with streamers as a blessing ritual so it didn't bring forth calamity and.....okay no one's buying this right?
I am! Keep going.

The Kane fan knows what he's talking about!

When Bourne overcomes his weed addiction make him a tag team with Tyson Kidd.

Have Rey/Cara, Primo/Epico and Bourne/Kidd tag match each other infinitely.

edit: Also get Hunico in there with someone.
Hunico is already in a tag team with Primo.

Kaladin

No, but it's Japan and they've done weirder things.

Top Bottom