• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF Bay Area/NorCal heat wave incoming - SF record high broken at 106° F

Astrael

I'll take this 85 right now over the 100 or whatever the fuck it will be when I get home.

I came here from the middle of san fernando valley about a 2 years ago, I don't miss any of that 100-110F heat at all and no plans to go back ;p Only difference was I had AC back then :(

pablito

You've never experienced 110 degree weather have you?

This that type of heat that makes you want to drive somewhere, anywhere, if you got good ac in your car. Having your electricity bill a couple hundred bucks higher for 3 months because you don't want to die in your house. You prepare yourself as you exit your work building cuz you know you're about to get hit with a wall of hell.

He does not want valley heat.

Miletius

Def going to the cinema this weekend. Luckily I'm only travelling to class tommrrow. I can come home and chill out after that and avoid the disgusting weather.

I told my GF that our next place needs to have Central Air. The summer here has been much hotter than normal -- and I think it's getting to the point where you kinda need AC unless you live in directly in SF.

In BC almost every summer we are having record hears being broken. Parts of the interiors almost touching 40 degrees celsius near the end of August. Won't be long till California becomes essentially desert type conditions, and BC essentially becomes what NorCal is now. Our winter frosts not long enough to kill pine beetles which are killing trees which then dry out and die and become easy tinder for wildfires which have been so massive almost all of washington and oregon was enveloped with our smoke for weeks.

Even a small change in degrees is causing havoc. And the climate change deniers have won. They have created just enough controversy and obfuscation that even seemingly intelligent individuals deny any human impact in the face of facts and observations. Because it doesn't impact them. Who cares hundreds of thousands of islanders and third worlders on coastal areas likely to die when they can relax in their suburban gated home with central A/C and get their tans on in the increased sun.

The wildfires in BC were so bad we were getting smoky down here in Seattle. It was pretty crazy.

Kalnoky

I live in NorCal and during the summer I just try to hide out in my house the best I can. AC makes everything okay. The last house I rented a few years back only had a swamp cooler, and it was the fucking worst. 115 degree heatwave and a swamp cooler? Nope. Noooope.

PsychBat!

Banned
I'm in Castro Valley.

image.png
a lot closer and more doable

I've experienced desert heat like that in UAE. It feels like a video game status effect, like you're literally taking damage when you go outside.

Stay hydrated and cool guys 😓

My place gets hot as fuck. No ac and having people over saturday to party. Im not excited at all. Well, i am for the alcohol and stuff.... but the heat? No, no, noooooo.

105 tmrrw, 100 sat. Ugh.

Remember non bay area people. There's a ton of microclimates in the bay. SF is surrounded by the ocean and has the pacific breeze. It's got that coastal climate. The rest of the bay will be hot as fuck and then the inland areas are going to melt at 110+

I see SF as 95F tmrrw on my iphone weather app. Oakland 100. SJ 108. Yikes. It's going to be hot.

WHY CANT GUYS WEAR SHORTS TO WORK DAMNIT!!!

We went to Oakland for some Donut Savant today and the heat on the east side was bad. It is ok if it's a bit hot, but this was that type of heat I know all too well from my years of living in Fresno. It's that hot oppressive dry heat caused by the dome of pressure baking us alive. With no air movement the air just gets hotter and hotter like a freaking oven. On the plus side I got good donuts.

My family that lives in central valley have been calling and texting me because they are on the edge of a full blown mass migration due to the 110+ temps. I told them it won't be much better here for the weekend. Plans are out the window for doing anything outside for Labor day weekend and I'm not driving due to the gas shortage.

With no movies to see and the construction at the local mall meaning no AC. There are little to no places to escape to in the Sunnyvale area. Gonna go out before the sun hits and get some groceries then I'm just gonna lock it down. Emergency Netflix and chill is in effect till monday.

Good luck and godbless to those of you brave enough to venture out of your homes. We will remember you!

TheYanger

SoCal has been horrendous the last couple days. Hot and humid.

It's actually been extremely hot in the north and central valley this entire time, this is just a huge spike.

It was 108 like 3 days ago here in sac, we got a 'reprieve' before this heatwave of like, 98 for 3 days.

MogCakes

So this is the new normal - more devastating hurricanes along the Gulf and Atlantic, and record heat on the west coast. Tornado season next year will probably be more violent than those we've seen before.

Keylow415

It's 72 degrees in Daly City right now at 12:30am. It's crazy havent seen this in forever. Thought I moved away from hot weather lol. I want my fog back

Been running all the fans all night to try to get the temp cooler here in the apartment. It's now dropped to 81. I don't think it's getting any lower either. Tomorrow is going to be impossible at work.

84 in the apartment right now with the windows open and fans going. I'm just moving the hot air around from one room to another. It's not gonna get much cooler tonight and that outside air just isn't moving through my place because of the heat and pressure created in the apartment.

This is gonna be bad.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It was 76 degrees when I left the house at 7 AM today.

It was about the same temp in SF when I arrived to work an hour later, SF is usually at least 10 degrees cooler than my town.

Woooo. :(

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So many heatwaves since late June.

Everyone said that the weather was so much better than LA. 🙄🙄🙄

Meanwhile, my AC doesn't work. :(

v1lla21

Live in an old mobile home with no AC. This long weekend gonna be hell.

Working in San Mateo and it's starting to heat up.

SoCal just went through their heatwave though.

True. I meant in context of the poster saying he'd be in LA and he expects it will be even hotter, when in fact it will be ~20 degrees cooler. I'm ready for the waves to end though, it rained in Orange County last night lol.. weird weather.

dare I say it ... Earthquake weather.

It's 102 right now in Pasadena, low humidity though so it isn't so bad.

I'll take 100 degrees and low humidity over 80 degrees and high humidity any day.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It's 100F in South San Jose.

I assume all new homes in California are now built with central AC right?
Unless you're a crazy person, I don't see why they wouldn't.

It's 102 right now in Pasadena, low humidity though so it isn't so bad.

I'll take 100 degrees and low humidity over 80 degrees and high humidity any day.
I don't know about that.

It's definitely been more humid in LA in recent years, but I can deal with that. I just really hate heat. I can't tolerate it.

About to walk outside to check how hot it is, south SJ we've got AC in the whole office.

Yup that's hot, and we're not even over 100 yet

Can't wait for my 4pm lecture and 6pm lab in an un-air-conditioned lecture room :///

Top Bottom