• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Dascu said:
No, he's not doing a collaboration with Yuji Naka. There's just some confusion because both games were announced at the same time. Yuji Naka's game with Kadokawa Games is called Rodea the Sky Soldier for Wii/3DS.
Awwwww... :(
We haven't had any other info yet on the Suda game (a trademark might point towards Lollipop Chainsaw being the name).
Um...that name kind of sounds like Suda jumping the shark.
mescalineeyes said:
It still has a huge Suda51 vibe to it, but I mean it is his studio making the game after all.
I've no doubt he's much more involved in the project than, say, Kojima was on Lords of Shadow.

Aske

I remembered this game today after seeing an ad on YouTube. When it was announced, I was interested, but not sold in it.

Then I watched the trailers posted earlier in this thread. Loved the aesthetic and the humor, but the gameplay looked dull in the boss video. Still on the fence.

Then I saw ths post:

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/33529

Dev Diary. They get Shinji to talk about the game and they show some gameplay footage. They give him and the other guy goofy voiceovers while interviewing them which is funny becuase one voice is British. .This is looking redhot.

I said wow. Day fucking 1, price drops be damned. Looks amazing. So glad we're getting it now, so it won't be buried in the fall. Everyone interested in this game should watch the footage posted above.

Aske said:
I remembered this game today after seeing an ad on YouTube. When it was announced, I was interested, but not sold in it.

Then I watched the trailers posted earlier in this thread. Loved the aesthetic and the humor, but the gameplay looked dull in the boss video. Still on the fence.

Then I saw ths post:

I said wow. Day fucking 1, price drops be damned. Looks amazing. So glad we're getting it now, so it won't be buried in the fall. Everyone interested in this game should watch the footage posted above.

I'm glad you like the link.

If anyone happens to like that link, do me a favor and send it to all your gamer friends on facebook.

Aske

Curufinwe said:

Couple more choice quotes from that preview:

Eurogamer said:
The weirdest thing about Shadows of the Damned is seeing Suda 51's unhinged influence stamped so clearly upon a game that isn't a bit broken. It plays like a faster-paced Resident Evil 4, except instead of placing crystals to open doors you're shoving a giant strawberry into the mouth of a chuckling baby-faced doorknob, and passages are blocked by demon pubes instead of tangled vines. If you've ever played any of Suda's other attempts at horror, particularly Michigan: Report From Hell, you'll recognise his quirky, OTT style, but it's never been seen in a game so polished. I'd always wondered what would happen if you gave Grasshopper Manufacture an infinite budget.

Possibly the most appealing thing so far about Shadows of the Damned is that it doesn't even pretend to make sense. It doesn't even try to. But it's so full on that there's a distinct danger it'll all be too much by the time you're into the third act. It helps that it's so slick, which means that it's enjoyable for reasons beyond its messed-up script and setting.

It reads like a Suda game and plays like a Mikami one, which for some of Grasshopper's fans will be a mild disappointment – it's the slightly broken nature of Grasshopper's games that makes some of the studio's weirdest output so compelling. This, meanwhile, is an action game with a budget and one of the genre's most famous minds behind it. If Shadows of the Damned is as subversive as some of Suda 51's other work, though, there could be a lot more under the surface of this punk-horror road-trip than it first appears.

Doesn't sound like gameplay will drag the game down at all. Read the full article!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It reads like a Suda game and plays like a Mikami one
This quote sounds like everything i wanted from Shadows of the damned when it was first announced hype+1

Ridley327

Gr1mLock said:
Any word if there was a lead platform for this game? I'm not sure which system to pick it up for.
They've shown footage of both versions and the PS3 version definitely has increased tearing. I'd have to think that just like every other UE3 multiplatform title, the 360 is the safest bet.

Amir0x

Banned
I really need final impressions from a Grasshopper/Suda51 hater to know if I should get this. It sounds like my cup of tea, a more faster RE4-style game, but I need to know if it came together from someone who is aware of how awful Suda51/Grasshopper can be before I dip.

I know one of you people will dip in and risk it!

Amir0x

Banned
Ridley327 said:
I am fair and balanced with my assertions of games, even from beloved industry types!

be that as it may, I need it from someone who hates Suda51/Grasshopper. Their games have pretty much all had terrible gameplay and concepts that are otaku-fodder like NMH, so I need to know this one is different from those who are with me on that boat!

Then I can help the game sell 6 copies instead of 5

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Amir0x said:
be that as it may, I need it from someone who hates Suda51/Grasshopper. Their games have pretty much all had terrible gameplay and concepts that are otaku-fodder like NMH, so I need to know this one is different from those who are with me on that boat!

Then I can help the game sell 6 copies instead of 5

Then I'd say just wait another week or so for some neutral or unbiased impressions( not from Suda's extreme fans/worshipers or super haters)I don't trust the first few days impressions because usually people like the shiny new things and just aren't too deep into the games.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ridley327 said:
They've shown footage of both versions and the PS3 version definitely has increased tearing. I'd have to think that just like every other UE3 multiplatform title, the 360 is the safest bet.

ah...ty. I didnt even realize it was using UE3.

"He can transform into a gun and motorcycle at times." lawl.

I really want to play this but I don't know if I want to pay $60 for it as I'm kind of strapped for cash at the moment. I don't want to pay full price for it then see it go for 40 bucks a month later.

Gravijah

ILOVEASIANS said:
"He can transform into a gun and motorcycle at times." lawl.

I really want to play this but I don't know if I want to pay $60 for it as I'm kind of strapped for cash at the moment. I don't want to pay full price for it then see it go for 40 bucks a month later.

Almost every game does that these days.

Hex

Banned
The voice overs in that video were sooooo horrible lol
And the punk rock this and that is honestly a real turn off, I want survival horror I do not want a Hot Topic commercial but it looks fun so I will bite.

Amir0x said:
I really need final impressions from a Grasshopper/Suda51 hater to know if I should get this. It sounds like my cup of tea, a more faster RE4-style game, but I need to know if it came together from someone who is aware of how awful Suda51/Grasshopper can be before I dip.

Dude, I work at Walmart and I'm jumping in. I think you can afford it.

Amir0x

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Dude, I work at Walmart and I'm jumping in. I think you can afford it.

of course I can afford it. I just have thrown my money in the fire over enough Suda51/grasshopper games to know to be extremely wary of anything they touch. Precaution dictates I hear from someone else in the truth to know of whether someone like me could like this

commissar

Amir0x said:
of course I can afford it. I just have thrown my money in the fire over enough Suda51/grasshopper games to know to be extremely wary of anything they touch. Precaution dictates I hear from someone else in the truth to know of whether someone like me could like this
do you like boss fights? shooting lots of things and then more boss fights? occasionally a qte?
no wait, let me simplify that. do you like resident evil 4's gameplay cycle?

also your stance on dick jokes, dick puns, dick guns, dick dicks, tits and so on?
hmm...let me clarify. do you like bawdy humour, awful puns and occasionally disturbing titillation?

do you enjoy awful characters like Dante and everyone else in the worthless Devil May Cry setting?
wait that question was unfair. what if you played a self-aware and referential DMC game? would you like that kind of weird surreal style? what if it borrowed some grindhouse/sexploitaion vibe?

buy the game

Amir0x

Banned
did you hate Suda51/grasshopper games?

I am of course only interested in this because it has Re4-style gameplay sped up, but I need confirmation from a hater! Be honest if you are! :)

Nemesis_

I am pretty excited, though I really do question that GHM fans play the games because they play strangely. I think that's a bizarre almost too pretentious notion to stomach.

Shurs

I'll be picking this up.

I have a $20 Gaming Coupon for Kmart that expires in early July and this is the only retail game coming out until No More Heroes: Paradise and Deus Ex: Human Evolution that I'm remotely interested in.

commissar

well I like grasshopper games because of the mysterious nature of some of them.
killer7 was intriguing enough that I finished it despite not really knowing what went on and despite that I was bored while "playing" it.

no more heroes I did not play much of, as the stages I played had little to keep me interested though the style was fun.

I wonder if Suda has an auteristic theme with respect to repetition, but nothing else supports that theory so I suspect he just doesn't know how to make games engaging to play, so adds more enemies as a three hour game won't sell.

that said I think he has a lot to add aesthetically, something I appreciate more than Kojima's cinematic influences.

so no, not a hater. I just don't think he makes fun games when he sits in the designers chair

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched the trailers and as soon as he said "My name is Garcia Hotspur...." all I could think of was The Princess Bride.

ToyBroker

Banned
Shurs said:
I'll be picking this up.

I have a $20 Gaming Coupon for Kmart that expires in early July and this is the only retail game coming out until No More Heroes: Paradise and Deus Ex: Human Evolution that I'm remotely interested in.

Exactly what I'm doing. Can't let that coupon go to waste.

That quote about playing like a mikami game is just enough for me to get hyped up even more! Suda51's craziness, Mikami's gameplay, a mix of punk rock and metal with a b-movie presentation and some juvenile humor.

This will be sick!

Amir0x said:
did you hate Suda51/grasshopper games?

I am of course only interested in this because it has Re4-style gameplay sped up, but I need confirmation from a hater! Be honest if you are! :)

Jesus dude we all know you hate Suda51 games, either take the plunge and buy it or erase it from your mind.

Amir0x

Banned
KaotikMind said:
Jesus dude we all know you hate Suda51 games, either take the plunge and buy it or erase it from your mind.

...just ignore me if you don't like hearing it. It is an honest inquiry. I am genuinely curious about this and don't want to waste my money. It is not important to repeat the thing, even though I am just as entitled as anyone else to do so, as it is to get the information so that I may buy it close to its launch if a Suda 51/Grasshopper hater emerges to confirm it as a quality title. I am not going to 'take the plunge' since I've been burnt too many times. I will 'take the plunge' if I get impressions like the ones I asked for since I'll feel more safe to do so

Well you are looking in the wrong place, cause most of the guys who are excited for this like Suda51 to some degree. I personally love the guy's games but I do see how theya ren't the best technically.

If there are publications out there who are known to hate him and give him shit reviews, I guess that's your safest bet. But in the end anyone who hates the guy could have some bias in that they will belittle anything with his involvement.

jgminto

Amir0x said:
...just ignore me if you don't like hearing it. It is an honest inquiry. I am genuinely curious about this and don't want to waste my money. It is not important to repeat the thing, even though I am just as entitled as anyone else to do so, as it is to get the information so that I may buy it close to its launch if a Suda 51/Grasshopper hater emerges to confirm it as a quality title. I am not going to 'take the plunge' since I've been burnt too many times. I will 'take the plunge' if I get impressions like the ones I asked for since I'll feel more safe to do so
If you aren't going to pick it up why would anyone else who hates Suda 51/Grasshopper be rushing to do the same? Just wait for some reviews/gameplay vids to emerge.

Amir0x

Banned
KaotikMind said:
Well you are looking in the wrong place, cause most of the guys who are excited for this like Suda51 to some degree. I personally love the guy's games but I do see how theya ren't the best technically.

If there are publications out there who are known to hate him and give him shit reviews, I guess that's your safest bet. But in the end anyone who hates the guy could have some bias in that they will belittle anything with his involvement.

You're making the mistake of thinking that these threads are for only one type of fan and that others with different perspectives are either not welcome or don't exist. There have been many fans in this topic alone who have expressed apprehension due to Suda 51/Grasshopper's involvement who I am sure would be similarly glad to have impressions from someone of like mind to know whether to dip.

And also, KaotikMind, it is absolutely sad to say that because they might dislike a previous title they must have bias and belittle all future titles he is involved with. I play games, not companies. I won't risk my money again blindly, but I absolutely will admit if the game is good if I end up playing it after the impressions I ask for. The whole goal is to enjoy myself. What good does it do me to pretend I didn't? What good does it do for anyone else to pretend? What profit is there in that?

Shurs

Amir0x said:

The best I can offer is the opinion of someone who has not played a Suda51 game before.

Hey man I'm just saying that gaming "journalism" is just a bunch of fanboys to some degree so I wouldn't trust them. And these official threads due have the occasional "I don't like the guy behing it but I'm interested" people like you for example but all in all official threads are almost 95% people who've been hyped for the game from the beginning.

Amir0x

Banned
we're not going to have trolling accusations here. Your name is fucking Garcia Hotspur and you're a junior member and you're trying to accuse ME of some sort of insulting intent to disparage this game. As a junior member you're walking on thin ice and you're going to toss that out? Be glad I deleted the post instead of banned. A genuine inquiry is not a troll. Further, this is a gaming industry forum. Many of our users get games early for review or simply manage to get their hands on a title in one way or another. Or maybe they even played a near final preview build. So it is extremely likely that I could get impressions early.

KaotikMind said:
Hey man I'm just saying that gaming "journalism" is just a bunch of fanboys to some degree so I wouldn't trust them.

Right but I'm asking for a GAFer impression, not a 'journalist' impression ;)

Anteater

Garcia Hotspur said:
You want someone who doesn't like Suda51 games to tell you this is going to be a good game? Thats going to make you magically decide you want this game?

If it makes you feel any better, Suda51 isn't the director of the game, some Italian dude is.

I don't think it's unfair to look for feedbacks from someone that didn't like his previous entries, especially when this is a collaboration between a few different people and as you said he's not the director.

Mikami is one of my gaming heroes so this one is in my sights. But I've purposefully avoided reading all the previews and impressions so far, wanting to be pleasantly surprised. What's the general consensus from hands-on reports and previews?

Amir0x

Banned
KaotikMind said:
But from people who hate Suda? Highly unlikely.

This game is made by a LOT of other people too. In fact that is one of the primary reason I am managing to stay interested - because besides the RE4 inspiration, some of the OTHER people are actually talented. This is one of those games that can fall either way.

Can't I ask for such specific impressions in peace? Why does it always have to seem sinister to people? I just want to know whether to spend my money, since I like to get in on launch day if possible for all the games I buy.

It wasn't what I would call sinister, but asking the same thing over and over when it didn't work the first 5 times is pretty demanding.

So don't worry about it, you'll get your impressions come the 21st.

Amir0x said:

Rox, I gotta ask, for clarity's sake. What parts of Sudas games (or all of them, is that the case) that makes you a hater? Because if it's the actual game design, I can absolutely see why, as the guys consistently released crazy games with fucked up design choices that make actually playing them kinda crappy.

Amir0x

Banned
KaotikMind said:
It wasn't what I would call sinister, but asking the same thing over and over when it didn't work the first 5 times is pretty demanding.

So don't worry about it, you'll get your impressions come the 21st.

I ask like, two or three times at various intervals spread out when new people came into the thread to see if there was a new batch of people who might fit the criteria. You just turned the issue into something bigger than it had to be; most people would have moved on and never even noticed. Relax!

Snapshot King said:
Rox, I gotta ask, for clarity's sake. What parts of Sudas games (or all of them, is that the case) that makes you a hater? Because if it's the actual game design, I can absolutely see why, as the guys consistently released crazy games with fucked up design choices that make actually playing them kinda crappy.

It is definitely typically the huge design/gameplay issues. In the first NMH, for example, the dreadful mini-games and borderline unplayable city hub and framerate. Coupled with the repetitious "meat bags" that you must cut through to get to the only decent part of the game, which was the bosses. Killer 7 speaks for itself with its bizarre gameplay document. Infuriatingly designed. Most of their titles are like this. Maybe a decent concept perhaps but just imploded by some of the most bizarre gameplay decisions ever.

Top Bottom