• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto: Games will still be fun without streaming - “striving to create a controller that will become the standard for the next Gen”

CeroFrio996

Banned
They keep trying to do something new. While that is admirable and I like how we now have several different ways to play games, I feel like they shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel. Don't fix what isn't broken if you catch my drift.

If they hadn't invented the wheel in the first place we'd all be rolling around on cinder blocks sooo maybe we should let them try, and possibly fail, to find the next big "thing" in gaming?

Last edited:

Thurible

If they hadn't invented the wheel in the first place we'd all begin rolling around on cinder blocks sooo maybe we should let them try, and possibly fail, to find the next big "thing" in gaming?
Alright, but I don't like how they make things so different that we (nintendo fans) haven't had a 3rd party parity in a long time. I hear the switch is getting better with 3rd party developers, but it is clear we aren't getting the same thing as the playstation or xbox fans.

I like innovation, I LOVE the games nintendo has made with their unique hardware, I just personally feel like it might not be necessary to change anymore.

Meesh

They said the same with Wii. A controller to become the industry standard, and they were right. Gyro and motion controls are pretty much here to stay, like it or not, but it begs the question... what else could they be up to this time?
Will it be in Switch 2?

HUELEN10

The controllers were advertised as being 1-1 with your movements. It was nowhere near that.

They WERE, but they aren’t anymore. The Wii pointer was superb, gyro “pointing” and aiming is such a freaking downgrade and makes me sad.

Psajdak

Banned
For all their changes, and gimmicks over the years, controllers have always felt same to me.

Just more horse power, please.

CeroFrio996

Banned
Alright, but I don't like how they make things so different that we (nintendo fans) haven't had a 3rd party parity in a long time. I hear the switch is getting better with 3rd party developers, but it is clear we aren't getting the same thing as the playstation or xbox fans.

I like innovation, I LOVE the games nintendo has made with their unique hardware, I just personally feel like it might not be necessary to change anymore.

I've never really cared about 3rd party parity. The very few 3rd party games I care about tend to also end up on PC eventually. The few that don't are console exclusives anyway. Meanwhile Sony and Xbox's inability to innovate hardware piled on top on developer's inability to innovate gameplay has just fatigued me on the AAA market. There are lots of pretty games, yes, but more and more they are rather hollow, often buggy and incomplete, messes. The gems do exist, but man I've got a whole pile of diamonds with my Switch.

MagnesG

Banned
We're not trolls. I have the highest respect for what that man has done in the past, giving birth to some of my favorite franchises of all-time. However, we have to be objective and ask ourselves if he's still as relevant and important as he used to? What has he contributed ever since Pikmin? I think the answer is nothing worthwhile. He's treated as some sort of authority figure within the main office in Kyoto, holding back the younger and often creative young people there.

Not only that, but he's venerated by lots of gamers as some sort of god. That's not a smart thing to do, because it stands in the way of legitimate criticism, which in term harms Nintendo itself.
The bolded part is not true, Splatoon and Arms exists because of the younger ones in Nintendo, which he also supervises. Sometimes, you guys are so quick on targeting the failures while not acknowledging other minor things. He even emphasize himself more on nurturing new batch of Nintendo's frontlines, so that he can retire. He's a true old guard in that sense. Also, venerating people as a god is always wrong, they die. Still, he's the creator of Mario Bros for fucks sake, are we gonna disregard Notch like Microsoft did with Minecraft?

Charging 300$ for a 150$ tablet? (Apple excluded I guess)
I hope you know that you're trolling because that's just bullshit, even with last year's bulk factory market price. Joycons with all that shit in it are expensive luxuries.

.. and ironically Nintendo are the ones who pride themselves on selling affordable mainstream technologies while still making floating profits. Sony and Xbox are more on selling services nowadays.

Well if Nintendo wants to make a controller that the standard for the next generation they can start by not making one that feels like I can break it in half with my bare hands just by holding them. I know a lot of people like the joycons but those things just feel like cheap plastic to me. If the joycons didn't have the Nintendo brand attached to them a lot of people would be shittin on them right now.

zenspider

We're not trolls. I have the highest respect for what that man has done in the past, giving birth to some of my favorite franchises of all-time. However, we have to be objective and ask ourselves if he's still as relevant and important as he used to? What has he contributed ever since Pikmin? I think the answer is nothing worthwhile. He's treated as some sort of authority figure within the main office in Kyoto, holding back the younger and often creative young people there.

Not only that, but he's venerated by lots of gamers as some sort of god. That's not a smart thing to do, because it stands in the way of legitimate criticism, which in term harms Nintendo itself.

Who can even quantify what his contribution is anymore. Apparently he climbed trees for about an hour in his first play of what would become Breath Of The Wild, and it was the GOTY. I'd even go as far as to say the motherfucker is like jazz - all the 'notes he doesn't play' are significant. Splatoon, Mario Galaxy, ARMs, etc. show a lot of restraint and his deft touch at mentorship.

Sure there's the polarizing Star Fox Zero and Pikmin, but in general I'd be skeptical of most criticism levied at him at this point. They mainly fall in the category of his design ethos being outmoded, yet here we are again, scratching our heads at Nintendo's latest success.

I don't have much confidence in them when for the last 3 generations Nintendo's controller that's come with the console have been shit. The Wii remote, the Wii U tablet, and the joycons. Thank god there are alternatives people can use.

Please make it large enough so that buying an additional peripheral isn't mandatory to make the system usable for anyone who has normal/larger than normal hands.

PrimeTime

I’m just happy to hear from Miyamoto. The guy has done so many wonderful things throughout my life that I’ve been able to enjoy.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Developers want to focus on making great games, and not burdened by formats or what controller you're using, I mean Nintendo has had interesting controllers regularly since the N64 that get paid attention, but now you have the Switch and I don't buy this screen attached to your controller thing.

Jubenhimer

Developers want to focus on making great games, and not burdened by formats or what controller you're using, I mean Nintendo has had interesting controllers regularly since the N64 that get paid attention, but now you have the Switch and I don't buy this screen attached to your controller thing.

Luckily you can provide both.

MagnesG

Banned
Some innovation will sticks while we would still have 'pro controller' on every generation, I think. I mean even a Wii U got its own pro version so not much to worry about that.

Gotta remember how many times they invented or popularize certain aspect of today's gaming. One of the thing I will always remember is playing Brain Age DS, using touch screen almost exclusively on 2006, two years after DS was launched. I'm seeing heavy resemblance mini-games there on our phones, tons of them. There's also little things here and there that I can appreciate, using motion controls for minute snipe in BOTW, or HD Rumble basically for those who love rumble it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom