• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So I went a little deeper and found a bigger area. Maybe I haven't seen it, but the game doesn't tag the places you been too and navigation is a pain in the ass there. Can't even look at the map during pause neither...

jgminto

Ok, spoiler tagging Media is just being silly. I'd say just tag stuff that's story related otherwise it makes it difficult to know when something is an actual spoiler. Anybody that has any experience with the series or the spinoffs will know there is a large assortment of different mythical and religious beings in the game.

ramyeon

WHERE THE HELL AM I GONNA GET
100K MACCA?!
Thanks anyways, I'll prob. manage somehow.
The stuff you can buy at the place it opens up all costs over 200K macca each anyway, so you'll want to get a boat load more than that lol.

Jisgsaw

100K MACCA?!

You'll be surprised how much money you get from selling your items.
You don't exactly get the money back back, but the relics there sell for a lot of Macca, so you'll at least get a third back.

I can't remember where you get the golden book, but for the coin, you have to get the quest in the hunter association, and go past the poisened area you already went through, and to a room where a hunter will sell you the coin.

Sadist

How have you been fighting everything thus far? I beat him pretty quickly with the standard buff/debuff/concentrate deal.
Tried tetrakarn and the like, be he uses Allmighty attacks hehe.

So a team with moves like Luster Candy, Dekunda and Attack Knowhow should do the trick?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How necessary is it to grind on standard difficulty? I usually die one time to bosses or strong new enemies while I learn what their weaknesses are etc, but so far I have been able to take out all enemies on second try with a slightly optimized team without grinding at all.

It seems to me taking advantage of weaknesses and resistance is much more important than leveling up in itself in this game?

Tizoc

How necessary is it to grind on standard difficulty? I usually die one time to bosses or strong new enemies while I learn what their weaknesses are etc, but so far I have been able to take out all enemies on second try with a slightly optimized team without grinding at all.

It seems to me taking advantage of weaknesses and resistance is much more important than leveling up in itself in this game?

Grinding isn't necessary but...I did do like 1 or 2 grinding sessions because enemies were giving good chunk of EXP AND WAS fun XD

jgminto

I haven't had to grind yet and I'm about 26 hours in.

jwhit28

How are you guys and girls doing navigating the world map? I felt like they expected you to know it before hand and the game doesn't label very much. I had to use an online map for sidequest that have very vague navigational descriptions.

It could be the game's biggest flaw or maybe its biggest strength for those that truly enjoy getting lost in a RPG world.

Leezard

How are you guys and girls doing navigating the world map? I felt like they expected you to know it before hand and the game doesn't label very much. I had to use an online map for sidequest that have very vague navigational descriptions.

It could be the game's biggest flaw or maybe its biggest strength for those that truly enjoy getting lost in a RPG world.

Yeah, I was wandering around way too much since I didn't know where Shibuya was in relation to Ikebukuro or something like that. Perhaps it is easier for Japanese players such that it is not an issue, does the game Tokyo map have the same orientation/locations as the real Tokyo?

jwhit28

Yeah, I was wandering around way too much since I didn't know where Shibuya was in relation to Ikebukuro or something like that. Perhaps it is easier for Japanese players such that it is not an issue, does the game Tokyo map have the same orientation/locations as the real Tokyo?

The map I ended up using was just a regular map of Tokyo I think.

Soulhouf

100K MACCA?!

Most of the items are useless in this game thanks to the MP regen app, so sell as many as you can.
The summon stones in particular have no use other than get you 10K macca when you sell them.
Also if you're past the alignment lock, you should go to Tokyo Bay area where you can collect high value relics.

Yep, when you are familiar with the real life Tokyo, navigating in SMT4 is a second nature.

Soulhouf

Got Apsaras, thanks a lot.

Early game question, I assume the game opens up from
Naruku? I'm enjoying it and all but if there's 45 strata I reckon I'll get bored.

It will open up very soon and I'm sure you'll be very pleased to see how if you played the previous mainline games.

Tizoc

Looks like I'm nearing the part of the game where the story's gonna reveal why the setting is the way it is.
Really excited for that XP

In my New game+ I'll start with fresh demons and this time look at their abilities instead of stats. Like if a demon has fire magic, I fuse it with another demon to get a stronger fire spell etc.

My demons have way too many abilities @_@

Oh and Gun is so OP, I'm one shotting enemy teams on my first turn unless they're resisting it/reflect it :p

Jisgsaw

Yes, it's more or less a real, destroyed map of Tokyo.

Also, as for most SMT games post nocturne, grinding and stat themselves aren't that usefull; it's all about skill type and affinities.

Tizoc

OK so here are my primary abilities on my hero
Reflect all magic spells for 1 turn
Reflect all phys and gun skills for 1 turn
Med. Gun damage to all
Med. Gun damage to 1 target
Heal all Med.
What other abilities are recommended to get on my hero?

Jisgsaw

OK so here are my primary abilities on my hero
Reflect all magic spells for 1 turn
Reflect all phys and gun skills for 1 turn
Med. Gun damage to all
Med. Gun damage to 1 target
Heal all Med.
What other abilities are recommended to get on my hero?

That depends on your build. You seem to have a Dex build, so Charge is a must. Also consider physical attacks (their damage also scales on Dex), and buff/debuff skills are always good.
I'm not a big fan of tetra/Makara-karn on the MC. They cost a shit ton of MP, monopolize one action of the MC, who should be your biggest damage dealer, and in the off chance you really need a temporary repel and no demon has the skill, you can always use items with the same effect.
not to mention that using them too much postgame will trigger almighty spam from the superbosses, which you have no chance of surviving
But you have 8 skillslots, which is too much for the MC who can't get passive skills, so up to you to keep them.

Tizoc

That depends on your build. You seem to have a Dex build, so Charge is a must. Also consider physical attacks (their damage also scales on Dex), and buff/debuff skills are always good.
I'm not a big fan of tetra/Makara-karn on the MC. They cost a shit ton of MP, monopolize one action of the MC, who should be your biggest damage dealer, and in the off chance you really need a temporary repel and no demon has the skill, you can always use items with the same effect.
not to mention that using them too much postgame will trigger almighty spam from the superbosses, which you have no chance of surviving
But you have 8 skillslots, which is too much for the MC who can't get passive skills, so up to you to keep them.

Thanks for the tips, I do have a demon that has learned those 2 spells, so I'll go for more phys and re-learn charge =)

Tizoc

Just need to have
Cu Chuthlan, Kresnik & Dulahan, and then I can create Demonee-ho.
Well I'd need 2 Cu Chuthlan at worst, but where can I find these 2 demons-
Dormarth
Scathach

I'm seeing mid/late lvl. 40 demons now but they aren't among the ones I've encountered.

Also Buroughs is really badly implemented-
Discover that Red Pills are made from human brains; Burroughs congratulates you on completing the mission.

I don't think I mentioned this in my post but the neutral ending really sucked.
It was super underwhelming. It would've been nice if it ended after fighting Squidward because then I wouldn't have gone to the cafe expecting something bigger to happen, like I was expecting to fight Masakado or something.
I'm not saying it was a bad ending, I think it was just poorly done. Though afterwards it did feel pretty nothing.

NeonZ

I only noticed this post now...

And as a negative for the world, I don't like how much lore/story is with the DLC. Like
Mastema
What even is he up to, is he being shady as fuck like in Strange Journey? He appears for a bit and that is about it. Then after reading about the DLC he's doing all sorts of stuff. I really like Mastema as a character and it sucks it is mostly DLC.

I really think the DLC did a very bad job adding anything to the lore. It often contradicted the in-game lore you get from talking with npcs, or even main story scenes. For example, the Archangel DLC
features Flynn traveling back in time to defeat the Archangels for Mastema, but, in the main story, the Archangels don't seem to acknowledge Flynn having a role in that at all.

NPC demons talk about a gathering of demons that took down the Archangels in Shinjuku park, which contradicts the whole flow of the Archangel DLC, where you just have Flynn and his demons and there's really no big battle in Tokyo, since half of them are actually beaten in Mikado.

Also, outside of the DLC, Mastema
is an optional challenge boss in the law route. That part does line up with it though, since it shows that the Archangels consider him an enemy, but, yet again, you get no acknowledgment that Flynn worked for him before.

The Masakado DLC also lines up very badly with the exposition you get in the Neutral route about the creation of the ceiling.

Actually I don't like how the archangels are DLC boss battles. I was really looking forward to fighting them and got disappointed
they never showed up again after you first see them.

The Archangels
technically show up later. Merkabah is created by them fusing with Jonathan. Of course, you only get that information if you go through the law route.

It's an actual problem with SMTIV's end game, it basically only covers your own faction, with all other ones just 'popping up' out of nowhere with barely any explanation. It's likely meant to incentive replay, but they shouldn't cripple the climax of the first playthrough in order to achieve that...

Soulhouf

I only noticed this post now...

I really think the DLC did a very bad job adding anything to the lore. It often contradicted the in-game lore you get from talking with npcs, or even main story scenes. For example, the Archangel DLC
features Flynn traveling back in time to defeat the Archangels for Mastema, but, in the main story, the Archangels don't seem to acknowledge Flynn having a role in that at all.

NPC demons talk about a gathering of demons that took down the Archangels in Shinjuku park, which contradicts the whole flow of the Archangel DLC, where you just have Flynn and his demons and there's really no big battle in Tokyo, since half of them are actually beaten in Mikado.

Also, outside of the DLC, Mastema
is an optional challenge boss in the law route. That part does line up with it though, since it shows that the Archangels consider him an enemy, but, yet again, you get no acknowledgment that Flynn worked for him before.

The Masakado DLC also lines up very badly with the exposition you get in the Neutral route about the creation of the ceiling.

The Archangels
technically show up later. Merkabah is created by them fusing with Jonathan. Of course, you only get that information if you go through the law route.

It's an actual problem with SMTIV's end game, it basically only covers your own faction, with all other ones just 'popping up' out of nowhere with barely any explanation. It's likely meant to incentive replay, but they shouldn't cripple the climax of the first playthrough in order to achieve that...

Actually it's said in the main story that Flynn is a reincarnation of the hero who did all that.
It's vague but doesn't contradict the rest.

Korigama

Actually it's said in the main story that Flynn is a reincarnation of the hero who did all that.
Plus, in regards to the archangels,
I'm pretty sure that the Neutral path covered Merkabah being a fusion of those four and Jonathan there as well
. It was who (MAJOR SPOILER)
Hikaru really was as Lucifer that wasn't covered on the Neutral path, in spite of being made clear on Chaos...she pretty much just disappears after the alignment lock on Neutral. The only real hint you have to suspect it otherwise is the fact that her name means "light" (Lucifer --> "light bringer"), and even if you are aware of that etymology, chances are you won't really think much about it

It was who (MAJOR SPOILER)
Hikaru really was as Lucifer that wasn't covered on the Neutral path, in spite of being made clear on Chaos...she pretty much just disappears after the alignment lock on Neutral. The only real hint you have to suspect it otherwise is the fact that her name means "light" (Lucifer --> "light bringer"), and even if you are aware of that etymology, chances are you won't really think much about it

Especially with how weirdly out of character he is.

Sadist

Ah, doping skill get. Now a strong demon with attack knowhow and I'm set. Night Mara has concentrate, that helps right?

NeonZ

The main problem is that Flynn there isn't just replacing his previous incarnation though. The battle against the Archangels was after the creation of the ceiling, so he wouldn't even be alive anymore for example.

The Masakado battle also completely eliminates the part about Flynn's previous incarnation sacrificing himself alongside Masakado to create the ceiling, and has this scenario of a berserker Masakado being stopped by Flynn and then creating the ceiling by himself that's never mentioned in the main game.

Plus, in regards to the archangels,
I'm pretty sure that the Neutral path covered Merkabah being a fusion of those four and Jonathan there as well.

You can get some information from npcs that suggest something happened to
Jonathan, but nothing specific is said. And the Archangels are only considered "missing", even after you get to Mikado in the neutral route, with some people turning against them due to their disappearance.

You also can get some information about Hikaru
(the people that met her previously don't remember her anymore), but nothing really solid about her identity outside of the Chaos route.

Dascu

Beelzebleh:
> Well into the fight, got a good Charge+Berserker God and Concentrate+Agidyne string going.
> Full health, +3 Luster Candy on my team, Dekaja'd Beelzebub
> Beelzebub nearing defeat, I think/hope
> Death's Door/Megidolaon
Goddammit.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Just tried the first tourney.
Four stars my ass.

Jesus, what kind of fuckery is King Kenji and the Ancient Curse attack? It's pretty much game over once he does that and it always hits, despite giving him full Sekunda treatment and anti-magic shields don't count for that either. I'd expect this kind of cheapness from trash like Digital Devil Saga, but here? Very disappointing.

Jisgsaw

装甲悪鬼村正;138860953 said:
At the endgame your demons are supposed to be buff / debuff / healing slaves while Flynn does all the damage. My final demon roster at least was hilariously anemic when it comes to actual attack skills.

Well, a charged Kanuki Throw is nothing to laugh at, and only
Uriel
can have that. I think it actually does more damage than my MC ever did, despite the low dex stat of said demon.
That's how I managed to beat
Sanat
actually.

Sadist

Aaaand done!

Amazing game. Final fight wasn't that hard after all.

Dulahan, Mara and Quezaquotl were pretty awesome.

Soulhouf

装甲悪鬼村正;138860953 said:
At the endgame your demons are supposed to be buff / debuff / healing slaves while Flynn does all the damage. My final demon roster at least was hilariously anemic when it comes to actual attack skills.

My Hanuman doesn't agree with you
frusfo.JPG

BTW I was able to kill every boss in the game except the last DLC in one hit with that setting.
With that aside, your demons don't need that much stat to deal a lot of damage.
I prefer Flynn as a support character because he has high MP, and can do everything. That's why I only attack with him when he's done buffing/reviving and whatnot.

The main problem is that Flynn there isn't just replacing his previous incarnation though. The battle against the Archangels was after the creation of the ceiling, so he wouldn't even be alive anymore for example.

The Masakado battle also completely eliminates the part about Flynn's previous incarnation sacrificing himself alongside Masakado to create the ceiling, and has this scenario of a berserker Masakado being stopped by Flynn and then creating the ceiling by himself that's never mentioned in the main game.

Yeah you're right but when it's done like that I can't say that there are a contradiction. But at the same time I agree to say that the DLCs were rushed.

Well, a charged Kanuki Throw is nothing to laugh at, and only
Uriel
can have that. I think it actually does more damage than my MC ever did, despite the low dex stat of said demon.
That's how I managed to beat
Sanat
actually.

Well I wouldn't know, never bothered fusing Uriel. Doing more damage than Desperate Hit seems pretty hardcore.

@Soulhof
lol, that's great, why Hanuman though?

Soulhouf

装甲悪鬼村正;138876676 said:
@Soulhof

I wanted a good demon to whom I can transfer Desperate Hit relatively easily. You can only transfer that skill via the fusion lite app and the heritage is random, that's why I absolutely needed a good demon that I can be fused directly from Demonee-Ho.
Also I was able to mutate his own skills to get better ones (Berserker God -> Luster Candy and Endure -> High Gun Pleroma).

Tizoc

Well it seems I am now in the
Order path? I joined Jonathan after meeting the 4 Angels, and just beat Lillith, where do I go now? Go back to the facility that Yamada had control over? I think there was an area through the poison path south of Lilith's building that i COULDN't enter, should I go there?

Jisgsaw

装甲悪鬼村正;138876676 said:
Well I wouldn't know, never bothered fusing Uriel. Doing more damage than Desperate Hit seems pretty hardcore.

@Soulhof

Well, Desperate Hit only hits up to 5 times; Kanuki Throw, while each hit is a bit weaker, hits up to 15 times, so... yeah, Kanuki Throw is probably the single most powerfull skill in the game.
I can't even imagine what an Uriel with stats like those of Soulhouf's Hanuman would do damage wise; but there's no demon with enough HP to test it anyway lol.

Korigama

You can get some information from npcs that suggest something happened to
Jonathan, but nothing specific is said. And the Archangels are only considered "missing", even after you get to Mikado in the neutral route, with some people turning against them due to their disappearance.

You also can get some information about Hikaru
(the people that met her previously don't remember her anymore), but nothing really solid about her identity outside of the Chaos route.
It's been a while, but I'm still fairly certain about
seeing all of them combine to form Merkabah before fighting it on Neutral being a thing, as well as Jonathan appearing before you on that path to chat just before the fight

I read about that detail, but yes, it is still disappointing that absolutely nothing is said about
just who she really is outside of Chaos otherwise
装甲悪鬼村正;138876676 said:
Uriel w/Kannuki-Throw + Dark Energy + Charge + Pierce Phys + Archangel's Law cast on him beforehand is pretty much a necessity for beating
Masakado's Shadow
as far as the story DLC goes. Farming incense is the only other alternative IIRC, but I wouldn't recommend that.

NeonZ

It's been a while, but I'm still fairly certain about
seeing all of them combine to form Merkabah before fighting it on Neutral being a thing, as well as Jonathan appearing before you on that path to chat just before the fight

Nah. You do get
Jonathan
talking with you before the battle and then
transforming into Merkabah, but the neutral route doesn't reveal directly that Merkabah was the fusion of the Archangels with Jonathan.

Also, after playing through the law route,
Jonathan appearing there in neutral really annoys me. In Law, they make it clear that he's basically going to die after the fusion, and Merkabah uses Gabby's appearance in the couple of times that she uses a human form. So that scene in neutral is just out of place.

Sadist

装甲悪鬼村正;138860953 said:
Hehe, I guess everyone has their own strategy.

In the end, Law Ending;

My set up was pretty much

- Flynn (lvl 83) including all of the strongest magical attacks + Doping. Once or twice usage of Bead of Life
- Mara (lvl 80) on Concentrate + Megidalao
- Dulahan (74) with the buffs + normal attack duty
- Quezacotl (70) (whatever the spelling is) on healing duty.

As some extra perks I equipped Flynn with armor resisting physical damage and Quezacotl reflecting physical damage. Lucifer's heavy attack usage resulted in losing his turn. Great stuff.

Korigama

Nah. You do get
Jonathan
talking with you before the battle and then
transforming into Merkabah, but the neutral route doesn't reveal directly that Merkabah was the fusion of the Archangels with Jonathan.

Also, after playing through the law route,
Jonathan appearing there in neutral really annoys me. In Law, they make it clear that he's basically going to die after the fusion, and Merkabah uses Gabby's appearance in the couple of times that she uses a human form. So that scene in neutral is just out of place.
Reviewing that part on Neutral, it seems that interpreting
the archangels fusing into one was indeed merely my own inference, as opposed to any scene showing it happen. At the very least, such a design avoided leaving me with the questions that I had concerning Hikaru's fate

Jesus, what kind of fuckery is King Kenji and the Ancient Curse attack? It's pretty much game over once he does that and it always hits, despite giving him full Sekunda treatment and anti-magic shields don't count for that either. I'd expect this kind of cheapness from trash like Digital Devil Saga, but here? Very disappointing.

Them's fightin' words!

Also, blocking any ailment in Ancient Curse makes you immune to the whole thing.

I think I've now gotten the bad ending
black hole wat
, but it felt like a Igavania situation in which the game would continue if I chose a different option... Might check it out later, or NG+ for that matter. Anyway, absolutely amazing game. Excluding the ,,final'' (?) boss. And not displaying goddamn names on the map.

Also, blocking any ailment in Ancient Curse makes you immune to the whole thing.

I don't think I've seen any equipment or ability which does that (and it's not like I ever needed it until now).
Anyway, I've now managed to defeat it, by killing it within 3 rounds and hoping that he doesn't use Anicent Curse until then... lol. That in itself was quite a satisfaction, but it still felt like pretty bad game design all of a sudden (like hunger waves and similar shit in DDS...).

Top Bottom